Cachemate

B192734

So, I have been using Cachemate on my little Palm pilot gadget thingy...Totally handy. Love it. But I have been using the free vrsion that you can only load 10 waypoints on. That's great for little day trips. I'm thinking of getting the real version of it, but can't really tell if there are enough benefits to outweigh paying for it. With the paid version, can you load unlimited caches on, or is there still a limit? I tried reading the documentation, but it really didn't give me that much info. Anyone else out there use it, and it you do, what's the deal? Worth it? Not? And really, what can you do with it that's different from the free version?

Thanks all, and everyone have a great day.

So, I have been using Cachemate on my little Palm pilot gadget thingy...Totally handy. Love it. But I have been using the free vrsion that you can only load 10 waypoints on. That's great for little day trips. I'm thinking of getting the real version of it, but can't really tell if there are enough benefits to outweigh paying for it. With the paid version, can you load unlimited caches on, or is there still a limit? I tried reading the documentation, but it really didn't give me that much info. Anyone else out there use it, and it you do, what's the deal? Worth it? Not? And really, what can you do with it that's different from the free version?

Its worth it. Unlimited caches (or probably more than you need) and unlimited databases (or probably more than you need). Other than that it is the same as the free version. I suspect the limits are more memory driven than program driven.

Jim

Heck, I think it was only $7 when I got it, and I think I even got a reply from the developer when I got a new computer and wanted to use it again. Sadly for me, the gosh darned Palm wouldn't work with the new computer, so I'm paperless and Palmless now!

What do you do, you might ask? I load only traditional caches, and off I go with only waypoints. And I hope the cell phone will have reception, if I need to look up a hint. I have lots of fun DNFs, but I don't care. It's all about the location, location, location. I'll stop and look for the cache if the location looks worthy, and log a good DNF, and I'll drive right past one that doesn't float my boat on arrival at the site.

I've logged two DNFs out of 3 or 4 on this cache. Just the other day 10/12/09 and the first on 2/28/04. Just a waypoint, no info. Tons of fun! But there are so many times I wished the Palm worked for me, it was so cool to have all the caches at hand. Someday I might figure it all out again. :D

Premium Membership on Geocaching.com...$30/year

Cachemate...$10 once (within reason)

Go for it!!!

PS...years ago when I bought it...it was $8...

Gosh, I think it's only $8 and you're helping out an independent software developer (and fellow cacher). Buy it! :blink:

Heavens to Murgatroyd, this site: http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/ lists it for $10.00 :(:o:o

It was $8 when I bought it years ago, Shirtless Wonder. :D

Years ago, when I visited New York City, the Empire State Building was the tallest building in the entire world. :unsure:;);)

So if I leave it installed, there is a place to go and enter the registration number, and when I hotsync it will transfer that over to the part that's loaded on the Palm already?

Yes.

Where do I enter the registration code?

From the Option menu select Register.

Tap Register. A dialog box will appear prompting you for the registration code.

Tap the field (dotted line) in the dialog to set focus on it.

Enter the code and tap OK

Heck, I think it was only $7 when I got it, and I think I even got a reply from the developer when I got a new computer and wanted to use it again. Sadly for me, the gosh darned Palm wouldn't work with the new computer, so I'm paperless and Palmless now!

What do you do, you might ask? I load only traditional caches, and off I go with only waypoints. And I hope the cell phone will have reception, if I need to look up a hint. I have lots of fun DNFs, but I don't care. It's all about the location, location, location. I'll stop and look for the cache if the location looks worthy, and log a good DNF, and I'll drive right past one that doesn't float my boat on arrival at the site.

I've logged two DNFs out of 3 or 4 on this cache. Just the other day 10/12/09 and the first on 2/28/04. Just a waypoint, no info. Tons of fun! But there are so many times I wished the Palm worked for me, it was so cool to have all the caches at hand. Someday I might figure it all out again. :D

Let me guess, 64 bit Vista. Not all is lost. See my reply. If you need to change the name on the palm device, then you will need the changename utility.

Jim

Well I did it, and got the code and entered it and it's all set. I'm gonna load it all up and head out this weekend. I found a place not too far from my house that is a huge natural area that is an old Army camp that is slowly being reclaimed. Great park. They allow pheasant and quail hunting, and there are miles of pathways that used to be roads that are slowly being grown back over. Tons of birds and deer and ponds and trees. Great place. Even a little more interesting with the old ruins of the camp buildings. Beautiful for pictures and everything. AND it turns out that there are about 40 caches scattered about through it's land. This will be the test to be able to load them all up and be ready with no paper. I always get annoyed at having 10 caches loaded up and any extra have to be printed out. NO MORE! Whoo!

That's good to hear. Even though it's only $10, it's still annoying to pay for something that turns out to not be worth it...

As many others have said, it's well worth it. I ought it for my Palm T5 when I first started caching. Less than a year later, I replaced my Palm with a Windows Mobile device and knowing full well that I could just get a new activation code on my original purchase, I paid the (then) $8 for a whole new license for my new device. I really liked the Palm version, and I loved the PocketPC/Windows Mobile version even more.

I found that the Palm version had some limitations that aren't documented, and aren't an issue for most users. If you let a single database grow to more than about 2500 records, it starts to become unstable, and if it gets over 10,000 records it will crash the app and maybe even the Palm. Knowing this and keeping the databases trimmed down, it is a great app. The PocketPC/Windows Mobile version does have this issue, but it is much slower to load the data into its internal databases.