Best GPS For UK

Dogfort

I am currently using my iphone but with walking between and searching I max out at 10 caches a day. I want to be getting into it more and up to 20-30 on a long day.

So whats the best GPS in your opinion for caching in the UK? Most of the posts I have seen cover the US nicely......

Hi

Having been through a few different Garmin units i have finally settled on the Oregon with the Garmin Discoverer maps on SD card.

This for me is the perfect combination.

Paperless caching

Ease of use both in the field, in the car, on my bike and at home.

Good sized clear screen.

Easy battery change and reasonable life.

Nice to hold and use.

Easy transition from the IPhone

Having tried an etrex, etrex venture hc, legend hcx, colorado and now the oregon, it is the best and i cant think of a reason to change from this setup. :lol:

Get a 'Power Monkey' mine has a iPd/iPhone connector. I use it as a back up if my Omia phone or my PDA start to run down while we are out on the 'hunt' weighs almost nothing.

Take a look HERE for a bit more info. This page actually shows it connected to an iPhone

Wow I hadnt seent hat before. maybe I dont need a gps. When you use it how long doe sit take to recharge and when its finished is it just like having charged it from a plug?

I can actually run my PDA or Phone while the 'Monkey' is plugged in, it shows exactly as if it was connected to the mains. Once the low battery warning comes up I just plug it and carry on.

Basically it does the job exactly the same as a mains charger (well to me it does but some techo may come and correct me)

I am currently using my iphone but with walking between and searching I max out at 10 caches a day. I want to be getting into it more and up to 20-30 on a long day.

So whats the best GPS in your opinion for caching in the UK? Most of the posts I have seen cover the US nicely......

I have a Colorado 300 and a 60CSx.. Both work extremely well in the UK, and if you add in the FREE maps as compiled by Talkytoaster, you really cant go wrong.

I have a Oregon 400t and it's the bee's knees. However, I downloaded the app for Geocaching onto my iphone last week too and in principle, it's a very good supplement (although I've not found a cache directly using it yet). There is one rather annoying limitation which is that it only appears to list traditional caches. Whilst you can of course check this site for the missing information, as someone else points out, it doesn't work if you can't get a signal (which happens in rural Scotland more than losing the GPS signal).

The potential lack of signal has been recognised by the app creators in that you can save each cache earlier on for offline use, but obviously can't work if you can't view the non-traditional cache in the first place!

;)

if on the iphone you go to settings and click advance (from basic) it will show every type of cache near you.

I have a garmin etrex h and an iphone, i use the etrex to find everything and the iphone to log and if any problems to look up hints and use the maps if need be and that way it will last all day. The use of google maps is the plus with the iphone out in the field.

personally i would like a 400t but its all down to money.

if on the iphone you go to settings and click advance (from basic) it will show every type of cache near you.

I have a garmin etrex h and an iphone, i use the etrex to find everything and the iphone to log and if any problems to look up hints and use the maps if need be and that way it will last all day. The use of google maps is the plus with the iphone out in the field.

personally i would like a 400t but its all down to money.

Sorted, thanks. ;)

I guess I lucked in as a newbie by getting the 400t as it's my very first GPS and has been brilliant. It certainly wasn't cheap, but I got a good price on ebay...

:)

Satmap Active 10. Paperless caching, geocaching.com compatible, full OS maps, no need for a seperate paper map or pda.

But my Satmap still takes up to ten minutes to lock on in good conditions even after being back to the factory for an antenna rebuild and is not as sensitive as my back-up etrexh. The Satmap strength is the OS maps and the Satsync software seems to work fine if you don't load up more than one set of 500 caches at a time. The Satmap controls are not very intuitive for me. I should love to try the Oregon and the Iphone!

Just had the Oregon 550T delivered this week end. This is my first handheld gprs. Although the manual is not very in depth, the unit itself is very intuitive even for a newbie like me. Downloaded Talkytoasters UK maps, fantastic. Went out caching today for the first time and found my first cache within 10mins, great.

Touch screen is superb and had full sat lock in seconds, also screen for me was very easy to read in sunshine and I use reading glasses. Iam still learning all its functions and first impressions for me- awesome.

Cheers.

Edited by karrimore

Just had the Oregon 550T delivered this week end. This is my first handheld gprs. Although the manual is not very in depth, the unit itself is very intuitive even for a newbie like me. Downloaded Talkytoasters UK maps, fantastic.

I thought the 550T came with Topo pre-installed - hence the T suffix?

Why would you need TT's maps (excellent though they are....)?

Edited by keehotee

Just had the Oregon 550T delivered this week end. This is my first handheld gprs. Although the manual is not very in depth, the unit itself is very intuitive even for a newbie like me. Downloaded Talkytoasters UK maps, fantastic. Went out caching today for the first time and found my first cache within 10mins, great.

Touch screen is superb and had full sat lock in seconds, also screen for me was very easy to read in sunshine and I use reading glasses. Iam still learning all its functions and first impressions for me- awesome.

Cheers.

Should you need Talkytaosters maps? i thought the 550"T" stood for Topo Maps

Although Talky's maps would help!

Cheers.

does this count as a double post :lol:

Cheers.

does this count as a double post :unsure:

Yes you are both spot on I thought I would get more detail in OS format with Talkies, however both sets show similar detail. I am still learning. Am I right in thinking I would have to go for Garmin Discovery maps to get OS detail.

Cheers.

Yes you are both spot on I thought I would get more detail in OS format with Talkies, however both sets show similar detail. I am still learning. Am I right in thinking I would have to go for Garmin Discovery maps to get OS detail.

Cheers.

You would indeed need to go for the Discoverer maps if you want proper OS detail maps (ala Landranger 1:50,000).

I have these too, and to be honest they are only useful when used at the 800ft setting, otherwise I prefer to use the OSM maps I compile for actually geocaching. The Discoverer maps do save me having to carry (and/or purchase/print) loads of Landranger maps, so that's a bonus.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Cheers.

You would indeed need to go for the Discoverer maps if you want proper OS detail maps (ala Landranger 1:50,000).

I have these too, and to be honest they are only useful when used at the 800ft setting, otherwise I prefer to use the OSM maps I compile for actually geocaching. The Discoverer maps do save me having to carry (and/or purchase/print) loads of Landranger maps, so that's a bonus.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin that has answered my question, so just for geocaching I might as well just stick to Garmins pre loaded euro topo maps and only consider the Discoverer range for more detail off road in the wild and for routeable on road options ?

Cheers.

Dont discount Martins maps though, depending on what area you are they can have a lot more detail than the Topo's from Garmin.

I have used both on the same machine for an improved Map but have now gone down the Discoverer route which are great but expensive. But the detail really blurs when you zoom in below 100-150 feet, But this is outweighed by the ability to see more of the pathways.

Dont discount Martins maps though, depending on what area you are they can have a lot more detail than the Topo's from Garmin.

I have used both on the same machine for an improved Map but have now gone down the Discoverer route which are great but expensive. But the detail really blurs when you zoom in below 100-150 feet, But this is outweighed by the ability to see more of the pathways.

Yep your right, just had a play with the maps as you say Martins will show more detail in some areas whereby Garmin topo shows more detail in some other locations, so I will keep both and use as best to suit the area I'm at.

With the Discoverer set do you find these more useful for geocaching, zooming in close etc, and I am thinking of useing the Oregon on my mountain bike,whereby routeable on road cycle paths would be ideal, no need for me in the car my Tom Tom does the business there.

Cheers

Yep your right, just had a play with the maps as you say Martins will show more detail in some areas whereby Garmin topo shows more detail in some other locations, so I will keep both and use as best to suit the area I'm at.

With the Discoverer set do you find these more useful for geocaching, zooming in close etc, and I am thinking of useing the Oregon on my mountain bike,whereby routeable on road cycle paths would be ideal, no need for me in the car my Tom Tom does the business there.

Cheers

The Discover maps are great for working out circular routes so as to not cover the same ground twice.

they are nice and clear on zoom levels above 150' but below this they blur horribly, just like a photo if you zoom into far they pixelate. But i still zoom in to 20' for the actual find :D sometimes!

the maps behave Just like the Streetmap view on the cache pages, if you zoom in 1 level you have the OS image which is great, then as you zoom the image just becomes bigger. If you zoom out 1 level you get the atlas view of the same area and this is the same with the discoverer maps if you zoom out past a couple of miles ( not sure at the mo exactly how far).

But this will give you quite a good idea of the discoverer maps at 1/50,000.

As yet i have not had a play with the 1/25,000 but i understand that similar things happen with these B)

Edited by burtsbodgers

Folks. I am loving the feedback but for instance i had a look at a price comp site for the Oregon 550T and nearly spat out my drink when i saw the price. Whats the best one I can get for under £150?

If you want a proper GPSr with mapping capabilities then you are probably looking at a Legend Hcx (around 130 Quid on Amazon.co.uk). This will happily work with my free uk maps (stick them on a MicroSD card).

It won't do paperless caching though.

If you want that functionality then the cheapest GPSr with that built in will be an Orgeon 200 (186 quid on Amazon.co.uk). This will also happily work with my free uk maps (stick them on a MicroSD card).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster