what makes a Charter Member?

ventura_kids

The "limited period of time" was from Spring 2002 to Spring 2003 -- the first year in which premium memberships were offered.

I joined the site shortly after premium memberships began. Back then, the biggest forum controversy was "Will geocaching become 'pay to play'?" Seven years later, you can still have fun with a basic membership, and the basic level has way more features than the original premium membership. And, new premium member features keep getting added, too. Pocket queries in 2002 were pretty big, for example. Yet the price has remained the same, $30, ever since. :)

I missed charter membership by |---| this much. :)

Me too. Charter memberships were still available the first month I geocached. But I want to make sure I really was going to stick with it before spending the money. I finally signed up on 3/21/03 which must have missed the Charter memberships by one or two days.

Here's an archive.org snapshot of the Charter Membership info from March 02.

Thank you for the March 2002 information. I am so old (84) that Criminal use to call me "The Grandfather of Geocaching". I had a lot of misconceptions in those early days. I thought everyone would pick up their cache for the winter and then put it back the next spring. Some did. I just couldn't imagine anyone geocaching in bad weather. Thanks again. Dick W7WT