Is there a way to report a member?

hudsonfam

There are 6 active hides by a local cacher that seems to have gone AWOL. They signed up last July, hid 8 caches (but have no found caches on their profile at all) and haven't logged on to GC.com since last November. 5 of their 6 active hides have multiple DNFs and are causing a lot of frustration for people trying to find caches that probably disappeared long ago. Is there any way to report this to someone?

GC1JDQN

GC1FH59

GC1FH55

GC1FH53

GC1E418

GC1E412

TIA :blink: -K

Edited by hudsonfam

There are 6 active hides by a local cacher that seems to have gone AWOL. They signed up last July, hid 8 caches (but have no found caches on their profile at all) and haven't logged on to GC.com since last November. 5 of their 6 active hides have multiple DNFs and are causing a lot of frustration for people trying to find caches that probably disappeared long ago. Is there any way to report this to someone?

GC1JDQN

GC1FH59

GC1FH55

GC1FH53

GC1E418

GC1E412

If previous finders can confirm the caches are missing, post "Should Be Archived" notices on the cache pages. A reviewer will see them.

Edited by Klatch

One option is in the log page. As if you were collecting your smiley or writing a note for the cache.

"Should be Archived".

However, before you jump to it, investigate a little beyond just checking the logs. Have you been to the cache(s)? Not just once, but multiple times to find them, etc. Yourself emailed the CO to see what is up (politely and with tact)?

SBA should be used very sparingly, but it is there for a reason and this just may be the reason.

Good luck.

GC1JDQN

GC1FH59

GC1FH55

GC1FH53

GC1E418

GC1E412

Have you tried contacting the CO? Do you know what the CO's health condition is? Do you know if the CO is an active military personnel or not? Too many variables that can make this answer change. I suppose you could post a NA and let the reviewers handle it, but remember that real life does sometimes get in the way of this fun!

There are 6 active hides by a local cacher that seems to have gone AWOL. They signed up last July, hid 8 caches (but have no found caches on their profile at all) and haven't logged on to GC.com since last November.

From the CO's profile:

This team was formed strictly to hide caches; we will continue to find caches on our own and log them under our individual names. All cache containers are partially handmade and not your typical “film canister in a light post” cache. As time goes on, our cache hides will continue to get more difficult.

That explains the all hides and no finds. It also explains why they haven't logged on since November.

At least at the time this team was formed, there were two guys doing it. I'd sure think that at least one of them could find the time to replace a full log, though.

Best and most polically correct thing is to either contact the cache owner first,

or log a "needs maintaince" on the cache.

When I log a needs maintaince I generally put a watch on the cache. If no one replies over time (how much time depends on how many frustrated cachers are logging DNF's in the meantime), i will try to contact the cache owner, if I haven't already,

and then as a last resort, post a "needs archiving"

When I post the needs archiving I will point out why and what's going on to still give the cache owner a chance to do something about it.

I have placed caches under a group account also, and don't log onto that account much, but I keep watches on the caches on my other account so I will know if anything goes wrong.

the needs maintaince should catch the eye of the owner.

If not, the needs archiving WILL catch the eye of the reviewer

Looking at the first one on your list, perhaps the difficulty rating should be higher. Verified as being there after 5 DNFS. No reason to believe that it disappeared since with the additional four DNFs. It's a tough cache.

None of the DNFs are yours. I have no idea why you would want to put so much as a Needs Maintenance on that one. Just because it's a tough hide does not mean that it isn't there. Some caches get a lot of DNFs. Such is the nature of geocaching.

Looking at the first one on your list, perhaps the difficulty rating should be higher. Verified as being there after 5 DNFS. No reason to believe that it disappeared since with the additional four DNFs. It's a tough cache.

None of the DNFs are yours. I have no idea why you would want to put so much as a Needs Maintenance on that one. Just because it's a tough hide does not mean that it isn't there. Some caches get a lot of DNFs. Such is the nature of geocaching.

No, I was about to attempt one of them and then saw the DNF history (it's a 1/1) so I started looking into it further to see if it was possible that it was just a difficult find. Then I noticed a similar trend with the other caches hidden by the same members. When I asked about "reporting" the cacher, I didn't mean to report them as in get them in trouble or anything. I was just asking if there was a way to have something like this looked into since the CO don't seem to be responding to any requests for maintenance or multiple DNFs on a 1/1.

Guess I was just enthusiastic to help weed out defunct hides, help my fellow cachers out who may be wasting their time searching for non-existent caches, and improve the game for everyone in my area. Newbie over-exuberance I guess. :blink: -K

No, I was about to attempt one of them and then saw the DNF history (it's a 1/1) so I started looking into it further to see if it was possible that it was just a difficult find. Then I noticed a similar trend with the other caches hidden by the same members. When I asked about "reporting" the cacher, I didn't mean to report them as in get them in trouble or anything. I was just asking if there was a way to have something like this looked into since the CO don't seem to be responding to any requests for maintenance or multiple DNFs on a 1/1.

Guess I was just enthusiastic to help weed out defunct hides, help my fellow cachers out who may be wasting their time searching for non-existent caches, and improve the game for everyone in my area. Newbie over-exuberance I guess. :blink: -K

Multiple DNF's don't mean much. I have a simple mico in Texas that gets DNF'ed pretty regularly. Generally, people over-think it. I do that all the time, too

As far as wanting to help the game, that's a great thing, and we all applaud (sp?) you for that attitude. Just please, take the time to look for the cache first. Don't just assume it's missing cuz no one's found it lately.

So, what have you heard from the cache owners? Nothing yet?

Have you tried contacting the CO? Do you know what the CO's health condition is? Do you know if the CO is an active military personnel or not? Too many variables that can make this answer change. I suppose you could post a NA and let the reviewers handle it, but remember that real life does sometimes get in the way of this fun!

I agree sometimes real life gets in the way of fun. But the cache hiders real life shouldn't get in the way our fun, or anyone elses fun. Sometimes looking for a cache and logging a DNF can be fun, but it doesn't get fun after a while.

Since the Cache owner hasn't logged on since Nov as the OP suggested. I doubt the CO would even answer his email even if you sent him an email.

Since these caches are getting DNF's it is time for them to be archived. If the CO wishes to UN-Archive them when his life has more time for fun. Then he can do that.

Personally, coming from a military background. If I knew I was going "TDY" (Tour of Duty) for an extended period of time, I would either find someone to ADOPT my cache hides, or I would ARCHIVE them until I returned. THAT is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do.

In addition to that.... My wife has a list of "Important things TO-DO" if something should happen to me and I am in Coma or other incapcitated state in the hospital. ONE of those TO-DO things is to DISABLE my personal cache hides &/or ARCHIVE them depending on my health status.

So frankly... I don't care what the CO's problem is about why he hasn't taken care of his cache hides. I am honestly truly sorry if the CO has had any misfortune of any kind in his life. But even if that is so... It's still time to ARCHIVE the cache hides until the CO gets back into the "Game".

This may sound cruel and harsh, but so is life. You have to pay your taxes too, Tax man doesn't care what life "issues" you have. You still have to pay the tax man. I do seriously honestly hope the CO hasn't had any horrible life misfortunes... either way.. lets help him out and archive his caches until which time he can return to the game.

BTW.... I would NOT have a problem with anyone requesting my cache hides be archived if for some reason they were abandoned for any unreasonable length of time, espeically if they are suspected to have gone MIA.

TGC

I agree sometimes real life gets in the way of fun. But the cache hiders real life shouldn't get in the way our fun, or anyone elses fun. Sometimes looking for a cache and logging a DNF can be fun, but it doesn't get fun after a while.

Since the Cache owner hasn't logged on since Nov as the OP suggested. I doubt the CO would even answer his email even if you sent him an email.

Since these caches are getting DNF's it is time for them to be archived. If the CO wishes to UN-Archive them when his life has more time for fun. Then he can do that.

Personally, coming from a military background. If I knew I was going "TDY" (Tour of Duty) for an extended period of time, I would either find someone to ADOPT my cache hides, or I would ARCHIVE them until I returned. THAT is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do.

In addition to that.... My wife has a list of "Important things TO-DO" if something should happen to me and I am in Coma or other incapcitated state in the hospital. ONE of those TO-DO things is to DISABLE my personal cache hides &/or ARCHIVE them depending on my health status.

So frankly... I don't care what the CO's problem is about why he hasn't taken care of his cache hides. I am honestly truly sorry if the CO has had any misfortune of any kind in his life. But even if that is so... It's still time to ARCHIVE the cache hides until the CO gets back into the "Game".

This may sound cruel and harsh, but so is life. You have to pay your taxes too, Tax man doesn't care what life "issues" you have. You still have to pay the tax man. I do seriously honestly hope the CO hasn't had any horrible life misfortunes... either way.. lets help him out and archive his caches until which time he can return to the game.

BTW.... I would NOT have a problem with anyone requesting my cache hides be archived if for some reason they were abandoned for any unreasonable length of time, espeically if they are suspected to have gone MIA.

TGC

Do you feel you need to shout to get your point across??

Let me ask this, do you know if the person isn't sick and maybe in the hospital or such? I'd think planning for a sickness would be nearly impossible. Do you know if the CO didn't make plans with another person to watch over their cache (and asking they adopt their caches is just rude IMHO)? Do you know ANYTHING about the cahe owner?

Sometimes, life seriously gets in the way of your fun, sorry but that's the way it is. If you can't accept that the cache may or may not be there, don't hunt it, simple. It's completely up to you to research if the cache is available, this can be done automatically with a PQ as well as manually with your own two eyes. No one is forcing you to search the caches in question and thus, not ruining your fun in any way...

I loved the comment about having the wife worry about his caches should he become debilitated. I'll tell you this, caching and removal of caches would certainly NOT be on my list of to-do's should this ever happen to a loved one. Some of us do realize this is nothing more than a game to amuse us and that life certainly trumps games!

I personally wouldn't even think to ask a loved one to worry about such trivial things when there's much more to worry about at that time.

I loved the comment about having the wife worry about his caches should he become debilitated. I'll tell you this, caching and removal of caches would certainly NOT be on my list of to-do's should this ever happen to a loved one. Some of us do realize this is nothing more than a game to amuse us and that life certainly trumps games!

I personally wouldn't even think to ask a loved one to worry about such trivial things when there's much more to worry about at that time.

Personally, I would be thinking about it.

I can see it now... hubby would be by my side with the laptop temporarily archiving away.

I can see it now... hubby would be by my side with the laptop temporarily archiving away.

With my luck my wife would finish disabling and/or archiving my caches via the laptop and then pull the wrong plug. :D

I suppose it's easy to say this now when there's not some life-altering experience going on. When you're faced with such an experience, I surely hope you do have your wits about you enough to be able to follow through, but...

I know how this can be, having been going through just such an experience at this time. For the first days and weeks, trivial things like eating, sleeping and even work were far from my mind...even now, more than a year later (and still dealing with the big "C" in the family), I still have a hard time collecting my thoughts, keeping motivated and even thinking clerarly at times.