Electronic Compass?

Hi -

Purchased a Dakota 10 Bundle when the store didn't have the GPS I went to buy. A quick look on the package told me it had just about everything I needed for Geocaching. When I got home, I compared it to the Dakota 20 on the Garmin site.

One of the features of the 20 that the 10 doesn't have is a "tilt-compensated 3 axis electronic compass".

How essential is this feature for Geocaching?

I paid $299. for the package which included a Topo CD, Silicone case, and a couple other things. I noticed that the 20 retails for $349. just for the unit.

Any opinions on whether the Compass feature is worth the extra cash?

Thanks in advance -

B2K

Its never been the reason I didnt find a cache. I have had a total of 4 GPS's since i started caching. 2 of them had the 3-A E-Compass feature. Set it up once and never went into the screen to take advantage of it. So i would say IMHO its not a big selling feature to me.

Well I'm sort of new so don't rely too much on what I say, but I've got slightly over 400 finds (I won't even discuss how many DNFs in a public forum) and in the 1 year I've been geocaching I've only seen 1 cache description that said a compass was needed to triangulate (hopefully that's the correct word) from 3 different points so in that a compass (either in a GPSr or a traditional one) would have been needed. So the bottom line is as far as caches go it's only very rarely needed (at least in my area) so if geocaching is the only way you'd see yourself needing one then it's probably not worth the money. Well that's my opinion, but do remember I don't claim to be an expert yet. Happy caching! :(

I've had 2 handheld, one with an electronic compass (DeLorme PN-40), and one without (Legend HCx). I was able to find caches fine without it, but I think the electrnic compass makes it a touch easier since the pointer is always pointing at the cache instead of only when you're moving. Not needed, but very nice to have.

I've had 2 handheld, one with an electronic compass (DeLorme PN-40), and one without (Legend HCx). I was able to find caches fine without it, but I think the electrnic compass makes it a touch easier since the pointer is always pointing at the cache instead of only when you're moving. Not needed, but very nice to have.

Thats a good point! I bought the etrex summit(no H) over a year ago but just got the time to start caching

this past July.I started with the summit and got used to that steady needle,its the first thing I noticed the first time out with the legend hcx and in a high muggle area all that pacing back and forth is a bit of a pain.

I'll be keeping the summit for the compass when required.Overall I'm quite happy with the Legend hcx but at upgrade time a compass will be a must have in an all in one unit.

I've only owned two GPS units, both with a tri-axial compass. Is it needed. Absolutely not. Is it convenient? Absolutely yes.

I still carry a magnetic for backup and recently learned how to use an analog watch to use for navigation, but having a tri-axial compass pointing to the waypoint as you're standing still is a major plus without having to fumble with two devices plus trekking poles.

So it will give it the ability to hold fast on a cache location? I have a 60CSx and haven't taken the time to mess with it. upgraded recently from the Legend HCx. Some will say that isn't an upgrade, some will say it is. I just use the term to mean I switched. lol.

EDIT: oh wait...tri - axial...not sure if it is that or not...Gotta get out the manual.

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK
...recently learned how to use an analog watch to use for navigation...
Only recently? I wasn't even a Boy Scout but learned this when I was a kid. Then forgot about it for years and relearned it in the military.

Wasn't you a scout and/or a soldier at some point in your life? :D

I was Webelos and decided THAT life was not for me (much to my chagrin today). As a fighter jet mechanic, navigation was not my need. :( So yah, recently learned how to do this.

I have a little over 1500 finds, and only needed to use the electronic compass for one of those finds; That being said I do agree that it is nice to have the compass feature. My newer GPS does not, and when starting from a stop for a new cache it does not immediately know what direction I am traveling. This can cause me to have to make a U turn once it finds itself.

My current Vista Cx has an electronic compass and I LOVE it! My previous GPSr's didn't have this feature, so most of the time I'd be walking around with the GPSr in one hand and a mechanical compass in the other. A workable solution but, a bit of a nuisance.

Mark my vote as a "YES" for liking built-in electonic compasses!!

3 axis better than 2 axis? Sure I guess, but 2 axis is still ok & better than nothing!

Add in another vote for the EC. I use a 60csx and absolutely adore it. When moving i turn the compass off so that I'm able to hold the unit in all manner of positions and still figure out where I'm going. (or supposed to be) Once i get closer to my destination, cache or otherwise, I'll stop every so often, turn the compass on, shoot a bearing, turn the compass off, and continue in the appropriate direction. Upon getting even closer to my selected point, I leave the compass on, hold the unit flat and out in front of me, and follow the arrow. I usually use this procedure inside of 150 feet or so. When i get the "arriving to" message, the compass once again gets turned off and it's then a game of "match the numbers" I'll look at the posted coords of the cache, and try and get as close as possible to that lat/lon with my GPSr. Once I'm comfortable close to "GZ" I survey the area in all directions using a 20 foot or so radius. That gives me a 40' diameter circle in which to search. Well, all that's done assuming i didn't spot the cache as I was walking up to it, following the arrow. I'm starting to spot them quicker as I gain experience. I've only got 50 finds, but that's given me enough practice to be confident in what I'm doing anyway.

I personally have also (like many) cached with and without. I agree with the general consensus that it's not necessary but it is nice. I made sure when I recently upgraded however that I did get the electronic compass.

The reason I like it is so that when I'm standing near a cache location (within 50-100 feet) I can stop and get a good bearing without having to keep moving. Helps me zero in while still a bit away from ground zero and often allows me to see where the cache is likely hidden (pile of sticks, rocks, fallen tree etc.).

I don't use it on every cache, but there are many where it comes in handy.

I personally have also (like many) cached with and without. I agree with the general consensus that it's not necessary but it is nice. I made sure when I recently upgraded however that I did get the electronic compass.

The reason I like it is so that when I'm standing near a cache location (within 50-100 feet) I can stop and get a good bearing without having to keep moving. Helps me zero in while still a bit away from ground zero and often allows me to see where the cache is likely hidden (pile of sticks, rocks, fallen tree etc.).

I don't use it on every cache, but there are many where it comes in handy.

And when you are really struggling, (like in a fairly dense forest or very rocky ground, and a single sight line could be pointing to any of two or three different nearby objects), try moving around a bit and making a compass sighting from two or three different stationary points, each say 20 - 30 metres away from GZ. Where the sighting lines intersect will be a very good indication of the coordinates. If all the sighting lines point to the same object (tree, rock, whatever), that would be a good place to start searching.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think i'll just hang on to the 10 for now. I've probably used it past the point of an acceptable return anyways. lol. Perhaps when I get more experienced, i'll see the need (or at least the want) for the extra features that the 20 or another unit has. I still have my trusty "old" compass in my bag. Haven't needed it yet.

....How essential is this feature for Geocaching?...

It's not. I'm turning my compass off in my Oregon. It's more annoying than useful. Maybe I'm just too used to working with a GPS with no compass to where it's nits just get in the way of using the GPS.

I'm with RK I turned mine off also on my oregon

Personally, I've rarely used the Electronic Compass on a Summit-HC.. If anything, I keep it off most of the time, because the track usually is going towards where I want to go, and any tipping of the device on its side, tends to set the compass off on a tizzy..

Note, I said Rarely.. There have been a few times, specificly on hill sides, where the GPSr Satelite signal is getting hammered by the rock wall, that I'll kick it on, and re-situate myself.

Sometimes it works, Sometimes, It's a pain..

Stephen (gelfling6)

I find it easier to use a good bubble compass to orientate the bearing on the GPS... rather than use an electronic compass... granted my gps doesn't have an E.C., but having the bubble compass on my belt I can reference it quickly to my gps as I narrow down the distance... easier to shoot azimuths too.

Only downside is that magnetic compasses can get thrown off..........

I run a GPS users course, and it's a recurring problem with people who are new to GPS. If the unit doesn't have an inbuilt compass then the unit will not "right" itself until you move off. This induces in some an immediate distrust of the unit, as it sends them one way, then the other. I'm used to it, and expect it, so it doesn't bother me.

I really dont get why some make a big deal out of it. Your GPS will have a compass, but you have to take about 3 steps before it knows which way your going. Alot of the ones with a compass that doest require you to move, are not always accurate anyways and have to be calibrated alot. So Im one of those that doesnt care as the gps will tell you which way your going if you move. At least I can say its not worth spending $50-100 more just for that feature in my mind

I really dont get why some make a big deal out of it. Your GPS will have a compass, but you have to take about 3 steps before it knows which way your going. Alot of the ones with a compass that doest require you to move, are not always accurate anyways and have to be calibrated alot. So Im one of those that doesnt care as the gps will tell you which way your going if you move. At least I can say its not worth spending $50-100 more just for that feature in my mind

Accuracy is generally +/- 2 degrees. For 500 feet, that's nothing so accuracy is not an issue. Calibration is an issue but it is a lot nicer to be able to stand still and orient yourself rather than look like a pinball trying to gain correct orientation under questionable signal quality.

Plain and Simple - for geocaching - NOT necessary at all!

So long as your GPS gets you to within 30 feet of the cache as a general rule - that is all you will need.

Mark your car before hiking and its even less needed.

Now - if you are going to use it for another application - that is a whole other question (and another thread in another part of the forums!)

PS: and remember - if you want the GPS to perform like it should - you have to be moving - left /right whatever - but keep moving and you will get to the cache - well within 30 feet at the very least under good conditions - maybe closer! (IF you can find it that is)

Edited by frex3wv

Plain and Simple - for geocaching - NOT necessary at all!

So long as your GPS gets you to within 30 feet of the cache as a general rule - that is all you will need.

Mark your car before hiking and its even less needed.

Now - if you are going to use it for another application - that is a whole other question (and another thread in another part of the forums!)

PS: and remember - if you want the GPS to perform like it should - you have to be moving - left /right whatever - but keep moving and you will get to the cache - well within 30 feet at the very least under good conditions - maybe closer! (IF you can find it that is)

I gots news for you, my PN-40 often (as in almost always) takes me straight in and within 5' of GZ. I very much like my compass as it guides me in!

Rockin Roddy:

I think they mean a compass feature that is in addition to the directional compass on one of the main screens we toggle between.

But of course - I could very well have misunderstood!

(and for the record - I am with you - I have the same results with my Mag. 210 - love it!)

Rockin Roddy:

I think they mean a compass feature that is in addition to the directional compass on one of the main screens we toggle between.

(and for the record - I am with you - I have the same results with my Mag. 210 - love it!)

I may be mistaken and am sure someone who knows can correct me if so, but my compass is what I follow when tracking a cache. From the time I leave the Jeep until I find the cache, the compass screen is in use. If that compass were swinging wildly, I'd be sent in all directions...it doesn't (usually)!

but it is a lot nicer to be able to stand still and orient yourself rather than look like a pinball trying to gain correct orientation under questionable signal quality.

Agreed!!Especially on a city cache when your trying to stay under the radar and your pacing around looking like you just got hit in the back of the head with a cabbage,the legend might have to wait in the car for those ones in the future me thinks......

Rockin Roddy:

I may be mistaken and am sure someone who knows can correct me if so, but my compass is what I follow when tracking a cache. From the time I leave the Jeep until I find the cache, the compass screen is in use. If that compass were swinging wildly, I'd be sent in all directions...it doesn't (usually)!

RR, you'll have to be moving less than 1.5 MPH in order for the compass to be in effect. Above that and the GPS will have disabled the floating compass and rely on the GPS bearing. With a broken leg I managed 1MPH getting off the trail. I can tell you moving that slow is excruciating. :rolleyes:

Rockin Roddy:

RR, you'll have to be moving less than 1.5 MPH in order for the compass to be in effect. Above that and the GPS will have disabled the floating compass and rely on the GPS bearing. With a broken leg I managed 1MPH getting off the trail. I can tell you moving that slow is excruciating. :D

At any rate, my comment stands. I use my compass screen and it doesn't swing around...much!

I have a Lowrance ifinder I use for hunting in thick bush . I always use the electronic compass for navigating a trail or route . The reason is that the compass shows your direction of travel even when you are standing even if not held level .When navigating direction (east ,west ,north south is not relavent )If you use the navigate screen you have to walk several steps before it shows right direction to go . In thick cover thus can drive you nuts .I will never be without an electronic compass again.

IN SHORT :THE NAVIGATION SCREEN ONLY SHOWS DIRECTION TO GO WHEN YOU ARE MOVING,THE COMPASS SCREEN SHOWS DIRECTION TO GO ALL THE TIME `STANDING OR MOVING.

Hoytvtecmach

I have a Lowrance ifinder I use for hunting in thick bush . I always use the electronic compass for navigating a trail or route . The reason is that the compass shows your direction of travel even when you are standing even if not held level .When navigating direction (east ,west ,north south is not relavent )If you use the navigate screen you have to walk several steps before it shows right direction to go . In thick cover thus can drive you nuts .I will never be without an electronic compass again.

IN SHORT :THE NAVIGATION SCREEN ONLY SHOWS DIRECTION TO GO WHEN YOU ARE MOVING,THE COMPASS SCREEN SHOWS DIRECTION TO GO ALL THE TIME `STANDING OR MOVING.

Hoytvtecmach

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DeLorme, the compass screen displays whether I'm navigating or not. In other words, I only have a single compass screen and it's the one I use when navigating to the cache. It works whether I'm moving or standing still.

Hoytvtecmach

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DeLorme, the compass screen displays whether I'm navigating or not. In other words, I only have a single compass screen and it's the one I use when navigating to the cache. It works whether I'm moving or standing still.

The three brands I have dealt with, Magellan, Garmin and DeLorme all show your navigation as a bearing for the direction you need to go. The compass still shows NWSE as it should be. It will also show you the bearing the top of the GPS is pionted in. This was described as Course Over Ground or COG. With the Magellan it would actually show the direction you were traveling as the COG was not tied to the top of the unit, but rather the direction you were actually travelling. This was a very nice feature for boats and aircraft because sometimes they are subject to crabbing.

Edited by TotemLake

OK, I think I understand...and my comment still stands. With the DeLorme, there is a compass screen and it does show direction of travel as well as points to the direction I need to travel. At any rate, if that compass swung about, I would be going all over as well. My point was and is that the compass is stable. And, it points to the proper direction (NSEW) all the time.

OK, I think I understand...and my comment still stands. With the DeLorme, there is a compass screen and it does show direction of travel as well as points to the direction I need to travel. At any rate, if that compass swung about, I would be going all over as well. My point was and is that the compass is stable. And, it points to the proper direction (NSEW) all the time.

D'OH, I FINALLY got it! DUH....I guess it helps if I were to actually routing when looking at the unit. Sorry everyone, sometimes I am slow as a laid brick.

I'm glad I found this thread. I couldn't fall asleep wondering this exact question and came down to post, but saw it's already been asked and explained quite a bit.

Now my big decision. I currently own a PN-30 and it's been great for my new found hobby. I also have a iPhone 3G, but to me that is a bit slower and I'd rather not risk getting it wet if raining, etc. So I keep it in the car for paperless logging, etc.

Since most of my hunts are at night, I have gotten close to the cache and found myself having to walk a bit in a circle or few steps to trigger the compass for a new reading. I think it's "approximately 1.5mph." That's not to fun in tight quarters or if spiders are around.

I also kayak quite a bit and was thinking of getting the 76csx since it floats or the 60csx for it's compact ruggedness. That's another decision. But for now it seems that if I am going to get another GPS, then I might as well consider a electric compass.

While it may not be worth the $$ to change from a PN-30 to a 60 or 76csx, I do have a son who is getting into the hobby and could make use of my PN-30.

Edited by McPhenius

What did I miss?

The answer is NO.

You don't need a compass.

I have 4 gps units now, and never use the compass functions.

Just walk to zero and put down the gps.

If you really can't figure out where the cache is hidden, walk away and walk back to zero.

Now hop on one foot and say " I wish I had a compass".

Now set the gps down and get back to searching.

ps - if the hint says the cache is on the East side of the tree, just take a look at the compass screen as you approach the tree.

pss- be sure and pick UP your gps before leaving.

I'm glad I found this thread. I couldn't fall asleep wondering this exact question and came down to post, but saw it's already been asked and explained quite a bit.

Now my big decision. I currently own a PN-30 and it's been great for my new found hobby. I also have a iPhone 3G, but to me that is a bit slower and I'd rather not risk getting it wet if raining, etc. So I keep it in the car for paperless logging, etc.

Since most of my hunts are at night, I have gotten close to the cache and found myself having to walk a bit in a circle or few steps to trigger the compass for a new reading. I think it's "approximately 1.5mph." That's not to fun in tight quarters or if spiders are around.

I also kayak quite a bit and was thinking of getting the 76csx since it floats or the 60csx for it's compact ruggedness. That's another decision. But for now it seems that if I am going to get another GPS, then I might as well consider a electric compass.

While it may not be worth the $$ to change from a PN-30 to a 60 or 76csx, I do have a son who is getting into the hobby and could make use of my PN-30.

The PN-40, with the power kit, floats as well and has the better compass. Also, it's cheaper than the two you mentioned (at this time at least).

It's not. I'm turning my compass off in my Oregon. It's more annoying than useful. Maybe I'm just too used to working with a GPS with no compass to where it's nits just get in the way of using the GPS.

To each their own, I guess, but after using my Oregon 400t for 4+ months with the compass enabled, I can't even imagine a single advantage to not using it. The two biggest benefits are having the bearing arrow always point at GZ regardless of whether I'm moving or not and having the map view automatically pan and show me what's in the direction that I'm pointing the device when I'm standing still.

I spent the first month I owned my Oregon with the compass feature turned off because everyone said it would "dramatically reduce my battery life." But once I started using the compass, it quickly became apparent that the benefits easily outweighed the inconvenience of carrying extra batteries. Then it became apparent that the battery gauge (bar graph) was incorrect and the unit would keep operating long after the gauge said the batteries were dead.

That, of course, was corrected later in a firmware upgrade when Garmin fixed the battery gauge. I use Sanyo Eneloops in mine and yesterday I cached from 7 AM to 10 PM and never changed batteries or turned off my Oregon during that period. I still had one bar showing on the battery gauge when I was finally done and yes, the compass feature was turned on the entire time.

I've found 881 caches since I started 4 months ago and I'll push that past 900 before the day is over. There's little doubt in my mind that I could have done the same thing if my GPSr didn't include an electronic compass feature, but I'd have had to work harder to do it.

Happy Labor Day weekend to those of you who celebrate the holiday and I hope the rest of you have a good day too.

Pete

What did I miss?

The answer is NO.

You don't need a compass.

I have 4 gps units now, and never use the compass functions.

Just walk to zero and put down the gps.

If you really can't figure out where the cache is hidden, walk away and walk back to zero.

Now hop on one foot and say " I wish I had a compass".

Now set the gps down and get back to searching.

ps - if the hint says the cache is on the East side of the tree, just take a look at the compass screen as you approach the tree.

pss- be sure and pick UP your gps before leaving.

:anibad::laughing:

Well it's not really a matter of need, but more of convenience having one unit do it all. The added bonus is the bearing pointer to the waypoint location, BUT this is subject to the satellite prone error.

With a low position error, I like the fact when I am standing in one spot without all the gyrations yoiu posted here; when I turn (not IF), the screen turns with me. Now the Garmin series is capable of having shapes imported to it to show facility locations so this will work in a very similar fashion that I'm describing for the PN. When the tree is on my right side, the screen shows this because the GPS will rotate the image to reflect my current bearing.

I have used the electronic compass many times for navigation before and since this following example, but this is a perfect example of how it was used with my MeriPlat and I can say the PN-40 has been no exception in this usage. Navigational decisions in this situation were made when standing still with people both in front and behind me. It would have been extremely difficult to get everone to move back to provide enough space to move. 3 feet is not enough, It's more like 3 meters to gain an accurate bearing with a simple rosette and in that very swampy and tight condition, the electronic compass pointing to the waypoint was superior.

So my advise is to weigh your electronic compass needs with expected usage. Some people are very content with their compass clipped to their belt loop or in their pocket. Others such as myself are very happy with the built-in compass. Before buying into one, observe someone that uses it, particularly the tri-axial compass. At the time I made my purchase of the PN-40, the failing of Garmin's line lacking a tri-axial compass was one of the factors that swayed me to to look at other brands and again, I'm very happy with the PN-40. Garmin has one now and they are working out the issues on it as posted by Searching_UT.

To each their own, I guess, but after using my Oregon 400t for 4+ months with the compass enabled, I can't even imagine a single advantage to not using it. The two biggest benefits are having the bearing arrow always point at GZ regardless of whether I'm moving or not and having the map view automatically pan and show me what's in the direction that I'm pointing the device when I'm standing still.

... There's little doubt in my mind that I could have done the same thing if my GPSr didn't include an electronic compass feature, but I'd have had to work harder to do it....

It's all in the perspective. I'd have to work harder to use the compass. The oregon eats batteries. You have to calebrate it each time you change them. Which means you have to remember to do that. I wasn't. Thus my Oregon was always pointing the wrong way. It's too stupid to point the right way when it KNOWS the correct direction once you are moving. Maybe poor programing, maybe that's how it has to be becasue of some other clever compass trick. Regardless I got tired of walking away from the cache while followin the arrow until I noticed the distance to the cache was increasting and then spun circles on the trial to make it point right when it should have known how to do that when I was moving anyway.

Your advantages are true. I just found the drawback more annoying than the advantages.

Edited by Renegade Knight