So many caches so little maintenence

OldLog

There are way to many caches that are not being maintained. I see the majority with wet contents and logs. I also see obvious caches that are MIA with no follow up by owners. I am putting together a first aid kit for caches see if I can help out some. Do you think the owners would mind ?

There are way to many caches that are not being maintained. I see the majority with wet contents and logs. I also see obvious caches that are MIA with no follow up by owners. I am putting together a first aid kit for caches see if I can help out some. Do you think the owners would mind ?

I think carrying a cache first aid kit is great :P I'm sure that the vast vast majority of COs would very much appreciate it; it's also something that a lot of cachers already do and is quite well received in general.

I carry replacement logs (with stash notes printed on them). If I find a cache without a log (or without a stash note), then I leave one of mine. I also help out by drying wet contents as well as I can, replacing ziplock bags, etc.

But I strongly recommend against replacing a missing container unless you've found the cache before, and have checked with the cache owner first. I've found caches with "replacement" containers within inches of the real container, because someone figured that if they couldn't find it, then it must be missing. And yes, I've DNFed caches where I "knew" where the cache had been hidden, only to discover that I was wrong and that the cache was still safe and sound, hidden a few feet from the "muggled" location that I had found.

You might also see it differently. Fixing the cache like that might just temporarily extend the "life" of a cache that is not maintained and will be in the same state a few months later. As you already mentioned: there are way too many hardly maintained caches. If they are archived, there will be way too many new ones to replace them, so just place a needs maintenance or needs archiving note and let the normal circle of life do its work.

" see the majority with wet contents and logs." Those cache owners made lousy container choices. "help out some" here just means perpetuating this....

"I also see obvious caches that are MIA with no follow up by owners." Please, log a Needs Archived.

"I am putting together a first aid kit for caches see if I can help out some.

Do you think the owners would mind ?" I mind. Please, don't perpetuate the life span of ownerless, unmaintained caches. Let them die. Cheap plastic food containers and the like will become piles o' geo-litter that you can CITO, then log the inevitable Needs Archived. I'll leave it to Clan Riffster wax on the subject of cheap micro containers... adding a working pen to a cache, some more log paper, replacing a baggie in an otherwise okay container, sure. Beyond that, let the cache owner deal with it, or let it die. Thank you.

" see the majority with wet contents and logs." Those cache owners made lousy container choices. "help out some" here just means perpetuating this....

"I also see obvious caches that are MIA with no follow up by owners." Please, log a Needs Archived.

"I am putting together a first aid kit for caches see if I can help out some.

Do you think the owners would mind ?" I mind. Please, don't perpetuate the life span of ownerless, unmaintained caches. Let them die. Cheap plastic food containers and the like will become piles o' geo-litter that you can CITO, then log the inevitable Needs Archived. I'll leave it to Clan Riffster wax on the subject of cheap micro containers... adding a working pen to a cache, some more log paper, replacing a baggie in an otherwise okay container, sure. Beyond that, let the cache owner deal with it, or let it die. Thank you.

Yup.

Thanks for saving me from all that typing.

Thats just it, are you SURE its a MIA? going out and helping the owner by hiding a replacement container and having others confused on which one is the throw down when both are being found.

that recently happened to me on one of my harder hides.

I wouldn't replace the cache itself but replacing a wet or missing log is great! I'm guessing you only do this to ones you are finding at the time.

Just don't expect a 'thank you' from the CO. I remember one I did that to, I had left my supplies in the car, walked across a wide field to get a new log in a new bag, went back and fixed the cache, mentioned it in my log and not a word from the CO. I ALWAYS make a point of thanking anyone that does any kind of repairs to mine.

We have a cacher in town that is so awesome at fixing the little things for the rest of us. Not sure if he has local ones on his watch list but one of mine was logged as missing while I was on vacation, I commented that I would check it when I got home. Before I got back it was found and put back in place by this cacher. Every town needs a Vernon!

The only time I've thought about replacing a cache container was when the owner had listed on his profile that due to health he was unable to reach some of his caches and the previous log had stated the container was cracked. Unfortunately the container I had was too small, but I did my best to make sure the crack was facing down for weather protection.

I would never replace a DNF unless I had found it before (but then I'd only be watching that cache if I left trackables).

Nope. It's a good thing to do. Replacing a cache container though should be done in conjunction with the cache owner. Most other things are fair game.

I'll replace a soggy log if I think my replacement won't wind up in the same state. If it's a case of the last finder didn't close the ammo can or something like that. If I think the entire container is compromised I'll post a needs maintenance.

If the owner no longer caches and the container has been replaced by multiple other cachers- then I'll post a SBA. Caches need owners.

If somebody finds one of my caches in bad shape I don't expect them to replace it (but I was very grateful for the container that was replaced after an animal chewed it to pieces and the time that a missing container was replaced) but I wish they would at least mention it in the logs so that I can take care of it.

Actually, another caveat about replacing logs...

Make sure the container actually is the cache, and not a decoy. I've found a couple caches that have had "replacement" logs added to the decoys, and a number of cachers were misled by the "replacement" logs into thinking that they had found the caches, when they had only found the decoys. Generally, I leave a replacement log only when there is a full log. I certainly wouldn't stuff a "replacement" log into an empty, unlabeled container that I just happened to find at GZ.

Make sure the container actually is the cache, and not a decoy. I've found a couple caches that have had "replacement" logs added to the decoys, and a number of cachers were misled by the "replacement" logs into thinking that they had found the caches, when they had only found the decoys. Generally, I leave a replacement log only when there is a full log. I certainly wouldn't stuff a "replacement" log into an empty, unlabeled container that I just happened to find at GZ.

Recently I did this by mistake... I found a left over cache from an event right in the area where a mystery cache should have been. The puzzle was a "cache is in this area, good luck" kind of hide, so there simply wasn't any indication that that container I found wasn't the right one. The CO let me know about a month latter that I had the wrong container... Doh! I went back and changed the log into a DNF.

Edited by Arrow42

I carry replacement logs, but usually don't replace a wet log unless it looks to be a solid waterproof container and I figure the log got soaked due to things not being shut properly. If the container is compromised and letting in water, it'll just soak the replacement log soon enough.

A decoy cache is just geotrache. If I find an empty container with no markings to identify it as a cache, I CITO it.

Was looking for a cache that was supposed to be a "peanut butter jar" and found an empty jar that was clearly labeled Mayonaise and nothing else. Was it a decoy? I don't know. What I do know is it's in the garbage now.

I just don't understand a cache owner not replacing obvious missing caches or even checking on them for that manner. Who do we contact to have a cache archived?

I know of one in my area that has had zero maintenance for a while. The owners moved out of state, usually getting back here once a year for maintenance, but other than that nothing. The last entry for the cache was that the container was rusting and water had gotten in. So some of us that know the owner took it on ourselves to replace the cache with a similar container. The true story of the container is that the hinge pins have come out so it won't seal well. I'm going to see what I can do to repair it, and if possible put the container back into the field.

A decoy cache is just geotrache. If I find an empty container with no markings to identify it as a cache, I CITO it.
I apologize for the confusion. I've mixed two issues in one paragraph.

The decoy containers I referred to were clearly labeled as geocaching game pieces, but the note inside said "this is not the cache, keep looking" rather than "congratulations, you found it". Someone decided to leave a "replacement" log in them anyway, and multiple cachers signed the "replacement" log in the decoy, thinking they had found the real cache.

Separate from that, I've found unlabeled, empty containers of types sometimes used for geocaches. I also CITO them. But I'm familiar with at least one case where such a container acquired a "replacement" log, and essentially became a throw-down cache.

Those of us who carry replacement logs in our cache repair kits should avoid both of these situations.

I just don't understand a cache owner not replacing obvious missing caches or even checking on them for that manner. Who do we contact to have a cache archived?

I know of one in my area that has had zero maintenance for a while. The owners moved out of state, usually getting back here once a year for maintenance, but other than that nothing. The last entry for the cache was that the container was rusting and water had gotten in. So some of us that know the owner took it on ourselves to replace the cache with a similar container. The true story of the container is that the hinge pins have come out so it won't seal well. I'm going to see what I can do to repair it, and if possible put the container back into the field.

Would it not be better to let someone who is local to the area have the space and a chance to flex their own creativity?

Would it not be better to let someone who is local to the area have the space and a chance to flex their own creativity?

I think the answer to that question highly depends on the cache density of the area. In a saturated area, I would agree while in an area that is not heavily populated, there is still plenty of room for other cachers to flex their wings and create caches, allowing for more caching fun for everyone :mad:

I think the answer to that question highly depends on the cache density of the area. In a saturated area, I would agree while in an area that is not heavily populated, there is still plenty of room for other cachers to flex their wings and create caches, allowing for more caching fun for everyone :mad:

This should not even be a question. When moving from the area the CO should have archived their caches. At the very least they should have made arrangements to have a local pick up the responsibility of maintaining them. No matter what the cache density the CO has failed to fulfill the obligations of cache ownership.

Edited after some thought to remove the snark and respond. Apologies for the original sarcasm... been a long afternoon with the dog getting out of surgery and trying not to worry about him too much. You make a valid point that the CO should have done those things. I still think it's nice that the poster is taking on the responsibility of maintaining a friend's cache. I won't insert myself further into that specific situation since I neither live there nor know either interested party.

Edited by mrbort

Edited after some thought to remove the snark and respond. Apologies for the original sarcasm... been a long afternoon with the dog getting out of surgery and trying not to worry about him too much. You make a valid point that the CO should have done those things. I still think it's nice that the poster is taking on the responsibility of maintaining a friend's cache. I won't insert myself further into that specific situation since I neither live there nor know either interested party.

Darn, I missed it. Oh well, I guess I snooze I loose. :mad:

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Well, at least not in a bad way.I just think that too many caches are kept alive by the life support method. I'm not a big fan of adoptions either.

Edit because I was insensitive enough to neglect inquiring about your puppy. Doing well I hope. Nothing too serious?

Edited by GOF & Bacall

Darn, I missed it. Oh well, I guess I snooze I loose. :mad:

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Well, at least not in a bad way.I just think that too many caches are kept alive by the life support method. I'm not a big fan of adoptions either.

Edit because I was insensitive enough to neglect inquiring about your puppy. Doing well I hope. Nothing too serious?

Oh what I said wasn't anything big but I'm just a big fan of trying to be as positive as possible while posting... it was something along the lines of "it's not a perfect world" but worded differently... Then I thought about it and decided to at least try to be constructive.

Thank you for inquiring about the pup. He's doing okay. It was for some minor stuff and he's just really groggy from the anesthesia. He's just really important to me and has been with me through college and grad school so any time he's not 100% I get anxious and testy.