how do people hide there caches.

Bmxer11

When you hide a regular how do you do it. I've hidden regulars but i want to see if there is a different way rather than under rocks. I have looked at the CCC's thread(all 62 pages) and i mostly see just under rocks.

I would like to see some pictures on some better ways than just under sticks or rock.

When you hide a regular how do you do it. I've hidden regulars but i want to see if there is a different way rather than under rocks. I have looked at the CCC's thread(all 62 pages) and i mostly see just under rocks.

I would like to see some pictures on some better ways than just under sticks or rock.

In hollow stumps, in tree roots, in ferns, under logs to name a few.

Jim

I'm talking arid desert style

I hear you can hide things under rocks.
Maybe put it on top of a rock, but paint it so it looks like a rock.

Or hide it in a hole in a rock under a fake sidewinder.

Or you could try under a creosote bush.

Or you could paint it bright yellow then make a human-sized "mouse trap" and use the container as the "bait" (there are pictures of this cache floating around on the forums, but I can't find them right now).

1. Adhere sandpaper to it using Super 77 glue to camo it, then use a velcro'd strap to lash it to a saguaro or other desert flora maybe? In plain sight but out of the approach direction...

2. You can buy fake barrel cacti online (they are made from foam), use a hole saw to wallow out the underside, add something to give it weight to keep the wind from knocking it over...

We are just getting back into gc-ing after a (very) long hiatus and are preparing several caches unlike nothing we have run across yet. No expert here though... we have never hidden a single cache, save the ones we set for our kids, and are dipping a toe in in the next few months to see what kind of response we get.

1. Adhere sandpaper to it using Super 77 glue to camo it, then use a velcro'd strap to lash it to a saguaro or other desert flora maybe? In plain sight but out of the approach direction...

2. You can buy fake barrel cacti online (they are made from foam), use a hole saw to wallow out the underside, add something to give it weight to keep the wind from knocking it over...

No, take a real cactus, create a hole underneath it the size you want, MAKING SURE IT CAN STILL GROW, put the cache in it and plant it.

Personally I'd make a fake prickly pear cactus and put it in the middle of a nice patch. Maybe have a rubber rattlesnake keeping guard. How big are you looking to hide here? Bison tube wired to a fake scorpion. Bury the bison tube in the sand but have it wired to the scorpions abdomen. If its sand you could probably "cover" a whole ammo can with a layer of sand. Don't bury it!! For some humor you could turn a pair of boots upside down in a small sand dune and stick a cache in that. Just make sure your hides are off of normal walk ways and hiking trails and go with it. An old wooden cross with the post hollowed out and placed behind a pile of rocks. Unknown size cache and cachers would be tossing that rock pile all over looking for the cache and maybe find a plastic skeleton for their troubles. Those are just a few examples that I just came up with. I live in NY. Sandy beaches around here need to be restocked every year. You have an endless supply out your way. Be creative and think of a few yourself. Micro in a tumble weed. Just wire the tumble weed down so it ain't blowin' away. I'm sure I could think of a few more. Swizzle

Edited by swizzle

Take an empty jar of mayonaise and clean it out, paint the inside white and stick it unter a bush. Who's gonna grab a full jar of mayonaise out in the desert?

Call it "on the BLT" or "Condiment Cache"... if it's a Miracle whip jar, call it "Miracle in the Desert".

But make sure to do multiple coats and bake it real durable to keep it from getting too chewed up.