Camo Duct Tape

Something to keep in mind is that the typical camo duct tape is made of vinyl. It has a glossy surface that makes anything wrapped in it stand out like a sore thumb. Kinda defeats the purpose. I've stopped using it on anything other than micros. If you can find the cloth camo tape, the finish is dull, and does a much better job of hiding your stuff.

A comparison:

75f30061-bf56-4846-a54d-89daee3c5551.jpg

Shiny.

97e8320b-bca8-4c0e-a39f-54b261eb83a4.jpg

Not so shiny.

Big Lots has it, I bought, like, 5 rolls for 7$ there. Also picked up a 12 pack of mason jars for 6$

Hopefully you're not going to use the mason jars for geocaches. Glass is a no-no. :D:D

naw, glass isnt good for sitting outside. its pretty useful for organising my velcro, magnets, screws, and bolts, though.

I haven't yet found a place to buy some of that cool camo duct tape folks use to camo their caches. Where is a good place to get it? I live in northern AZ. Flagstaff is nearest city.

WalMart has it in the paint section and they have RealTree cloth-tape in the hunting area (and the ductape also)

I haven't yet found a place to buy some of that cool camo duct tape folks use to camo their caches. Where is a good place to get it? I live in northern AZ. Flagstaff is nearest city.

WalMart has it in the paint section and they have RealTree cloth-tape in the hunting area (and the ductape also)

My local Wal-Marts have all been remodeled and reorganized. They reduced the size of the hardware and sporting goods departments by quite a lot. They made the stores kinda of like Target for some reason. Gone is the Real Tree camo tape from the paint department and the matchsafes are gone from the camping aisle. Maybe only the urban Wal-Marts have been given this treatment? :D

I got some camo duct tape from Sportsman's and it is garbage.

It comes off really easily. I had two boxes covered in it, in a cloth bag with some other geo-stuff. The next time I went to take out something the duct tape had come off the boxes and wrapped itself around everything else in the box.

This was vinyl tape that cost about 8 bucks or more a roll.

I don't know the brand name.

Does anyone know the brand name of good stuff?

Something to keep in mind is that the typical camo duct tape is made of vinyl. It has a glossy surface that makes anything wrapped in it stand out like a sore thumb. Kinda defeats the purpose. I've stopped using it on anything other than micros. If you can find the cloth camo tape, the finish is dull, and does a much better job of hiding your stuff.

A comparison:

[snip]

Shiny.

[snip]

Not so shiny.

Live leaves are a little bit shiny.

Don't want to sidetrack your intentions . . . BUT, better than really expensive camo 'tape' is to buy a yard or two of good camo material and a tube of liquid nailer.

I cut the material to fit my containers and spread a thin layer of liquid nailer on them before I wrap them with the material . . . cheaper, better and it does not peel. The hides really do well and you can be really liberal in the use as it is inexpensive.

Don't want to sidetrack your intentions . . . BUT, better than really expensive camo 'tape' is to buy a yard or two of good camo material and a tube of liquid nailer.

I cut the material to fit my containers and spread a thin layer of liquid nailer on them before I wrap them with the material . . . cheaper, better and it does not peel. The hides really do well and you can be really liberal in the use as it is inexpensive.

I agree.

As mentioned camo tape is relatively expensive and is most always shiny. You can buy the more expensive cloth kind or buy a yard or two of camo fabric at Walmart for cheap. I think it works better.

I have a large cache that was covered in camo cloth (glued to plastic). 2 years later it seems the same as when i put it out. Tape would degrade and turn white and start falling apart.

Here is what I found at Bass Pro's website:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

I checked Cabela's, and they did not have anything similar - all I could find on there was the vinyl tape. I have the tape from the 1st link on the barrel of my shotgun, and it has survived numerous trips to the range and the woods for over 2 1/2 years -- it's been frozen, heated up (I live in North Mississippi - summers are hot and humid!), rained on, snowed on (yes, that can happen down here), and it still sticks. Just make sure you have a good clean surface to put it on, and I would even rough up the surface a bit with some sandpaper just to give it a better adhesion, if you are putting it on something like a Lock-and-Lock.

I got some camo duct tape from Sportsman's and it is garbage.

It comes off really easily. I had two boxes covered in it, in a cloth bag with some other geo-stuff. The next time I went to take out something the duct tape had come off the boxes and wrapped itself around everything else in the box.

This was vinyl tape that cost about 8 bucks or more a roll.

I don't know the brand name.

Does anyone know the brand name of good stuff?

Here is a picture of the tape I got from Wal-Mart a while back. I looked for it the other day in Wal-Mart in the paint section where it used to be and couldn't find it. And even worse I looked for the Lock & Locks and couldn't find them either, only the cheap rip off brands.

5ff6a421-2a8f-4ba6-845c-8835f36dc55b.jpg

This tape has a cloth backing, dull finish and sticks like crazy. It has held up for years on my camo taped Lock&Locks. But now I don't know where to find either product. Haven't tried the 800 number or link printed on the tape yet.

better than really expensive camo 'tape' is to buy a yard or two of good camo material and a tube of liquid nailer.

Great advice! Camo duct tape sucks for so many reasons, it astounds me that anyone who has spent more than 0.00000001% of their lives outdoors would think that crap is capable of hiding anything. I found some camo patterned burlap at Gander Mountain. I cut it into 1"x3" strips, then applied it in layers up the sides and across the top, starting at the bottom. Each following layer partially covers the layer(s) under it. Once the glue set, I plucked off a few threads from each strip end, breaking up the outline even further.

244d37eb-6355-4e10-8ec7-f5c2b75fe394.jpg