Delorme PN-40 $269

It appears that Delorme is running a sale today. Prices on Amazon and JR are both $269, just for today it appears.

Walmart.com lists the PN-40 today for $248, with free shipping.

That's a great price. Too bad Walmart charges tax. :laughing:

It appears that Delorme is running a sale today. Prices on Amazon and JR are both $269, just for today it appears.

Walmart.com lists the PN-40 today for $248, with free shipping.

That's a great price. Too bad Walmart charges tax. :laughing:

They don't. Some states do. Depends where you purchase. Try a Walmart* in Nevada, 10-4?

It because they have the old topo software.

And the source of this information (regarding the why, not what's in the box) is?

Since version 8 is out any day now..... what other version would it be?

Its not a free update, its only $10 though.

Edited by jinj

And the source of this information (regarding the why, not what's in the box) is?

It could be Topo 7 versions that were still left in stock.

It wouldn't be so far fetched to think the sale was to thin out older stock. If that's the case, and i'm only guessing here, that could mean the PN-40 may not be selling so well as of late.

I'm ready to pull the trigger in a day or so. I really wanted a PN-40 because I really like Delorme as a company and how they communicate with their customers (I'm a Garmin owner).

I'm worried about the problems with the PN-40 as of late. I really need an update now (Summer is near!). I'd really like to give Delorme a shot but I may have to go with the tried and true 60Csx.

Sorry Delorme!

Free upgrade, but $10 S&H.

I just bought a new one from Delorme today. You mean to tell me that I could have bought one from Amazon and paid $10 and I would have Topo 8?

If you bought one directly from Delorme today, it should come with 8.

The upgrade coupon says that you need to include your retail store receipt. I bought from Amazon, is the print out going to work? I did not save the paperwork that came in the Amazon box so I would have to print it from their site. What do y'all think? :laughing:

Yes, that question has been asked in the DeLorme forum.

Just log into your Amazon account, look up your past purchases and download the info, 10-4?

With DeLorme, one will not need an notarized form, attached to a memo on some lawyer's letterhead and delivered by certified letter, roger that?

It wouldn't be so far fetched to think the sale was to thin out older stock. If that's the case, and i'm only guessing here, that could mean the PN-40 may not be selling so well as of late.

I'm ready to pull the trigger in a day or so. I really wanted a PN-40 because I really like Delorme as a company and how they communicate with their customers (I'm a Garmin owner).

I'm worried about the problems with the PN-40 as of late. I really need an update now (Summer is near!). I'd really like to give Delorme a shot but I may have to go with the tried and true 60Csx.

Sorry Delorme!

Then you'll be buying long in the tooth. DeLorme like any other brand has had it's share of QC issues. What the other brands lack though is the stellar customer service DeLorme is currently known for. I currently have had no problems with my PN-40 since receiving it back in November.

Sorry Delorme!

Then you'll be buying long in the tooth. DeLorme like any other brand has had it's share of QC issues. What the other brands lack though is the stellar customer service DeLorme is currently known for. I currently have had no problems with my PN-40 since receiving it back in November.

Long in the tooth is okay with me.

I do wonder how many PN-40 users have had issues. I'm glad to hear that yours has worked well.

The upgrade coupon says that you need to include your retail store receipt. I bought from Amazon, is the print out going to work? I did not save the paperwork that came in the Amazon box so I would have to print it from their site. What do y'all think? :laughing:

Just log into your Amazon account, look up your past purchases and download the info, 10-4?

With DeLorme, one will not need an notarized form, attached to a memo on some lawyer's letterhead and delivered by certified letter, roger that?

I have had a price spider looking for the PN 40 for a while and ordered the $269 one. With ONE DAY of caching I am really liking it!! So where is the delorme forum? and where can I get help with using GSAK with it? Is that possible?

Thanks! Alicia

The upgrade coupon says that you need to include your retail store receipt. I bought from Amazon, is the print out going to work? I did not save the paperwork that came in the Amazon box so I would have to print it from their site. What do y'all think? :huh:

I have had a price spider looking for the PN 40 for a while and ordered the $269 one. With ONE DAY of caching I am really liking it!! So where is the delorme forum? and where can I get help with using GSAK with it? Is that possible?

Thanks! Alicia

The Delorme forum is here There are some workarounds for use with GSAK. The cacheregister app should be out fairly soon.

I do wonder how many PN-40 users have had issues. I'm glad to hear that yours has worked well.

You will never know. And don't blame DeLorme for not making such public.

And don't bother asking Dell how many LCD monitors have been returned for dead pixels, 10-4?

DATA: As a non-statistical, but anedotal data point, my PN-40 has been issue free. :huh:

It's hard to get a feel for that. User forum posts get a lot more representation of problems than of smooth sailing. That could be due to a higher proportion of users experiencing problems, or the facts that people having trouble seek help a lot more than people who aren't running into difficulties.

I may have been lucky--the worst I've had with my PN40SE was a few spontaneous reboots using earlier firmwares--but my impression is that my experience is consistent with the majority of customer experiences. I'll readily admit to the possibility of distortion in my reading of the tea leaves; I would like to see Delorme succeed with their GPS's.

Some of the problems you alluded to appear to happen with enough frequency and consistency to suggest a QC problem, but Delorme appears to be dealing with this immediately by strongly supporting the warranty guarantee. I have more confidence in this conclusion, as people who post problems usually report a solution reached (either by user/tech support or repair/replacement). It's a PITA to have to send in a device you've purchased, but I'm willing to give a business their chance to make a wrong situation right. Delorme hasn't been able to make everyone happy, but they seem to come as close to that goal as is reasonable.

And when someone decides it's not up to snuff, the 30 day return period Delorme offers covers the financial risk. One can't get the time and effort invested back again, but at least one can make an informed choice about keeping it or not.

How many users had issues with the 60 series when it first came out?

There were lots of threads about that when it was new.

How many users had issues with the Colorado or the Oregon?

There were lots of threads about those when they came out.

And then there is Magellan with their product recall on the Triton series when it first came out it because it was that bad.

The DeLorme is not immune to QC issues. But neither is any other brand out there. The major difference is what will customer service do for you, and how quickly? The PN-40 is a solid unit and to back up what Embra stated, the noisiest are those that have had problems but that's not to say this is the majority of the owners. You don't see a lot of folks coming in these forums to say their units are doing great in any brand camp. Just the occasional blip on the radar that lasts maybe a dozen posts then drifts away.

Edited by TotemLake

I do believe the Delorme is a good company and I have heard nothing but good things regarding their assistance with users having issues. My issues are purely selfish. I hate to think about being without my gps for even a day.

I did buy a 60Csx today, btw. I'll probably sell it in a few months when everything calms down a bit.

I really needed something now.

Thanks

Misinformation. The 9.95 is for S&H, not for the product.

Potato Potarto.

It's not even symantics. You got it wrong the first time, and you're trying to obfuscate what you meant the seond time.

One word - Decaf!

Useless brown water.

That being said, my post is neither rude nor impolite. It corrects a misinformed statement and corrects an attempt to turn it into symantics.

I do believe the Delorme is a good company and I have heard nothing but good things regarding their assistance with users having issues. My issues are purely selfish. I hate to think about being without my gps for even a day.

I did buy a 60Csx today, btw. I'll probably sell it in a few months when everything calms down a bit.

Thanks

That's cool. Just didn't want the decision to be based on an inclination the issues you read about is widespread.

The upgrade coupon says that you need to include your retail store receipt. I bought from Amazon, is the print out going to work? I did not save the paperwork that came in the Amazon box so I would have to print it from their site. What do y'all think? :huh:

WW,

I just bought the PN-20 from Amazon (actually from J+R Music) about a month ago and heard about Delorme offering the new Topo8 to folks who'd bought a PN in the last 6 months. Some of the newer PN (20's and 40's) came with a card in the box that you can fill out and send in to get T8 for a $9.95 S+H charge. My 20 had no card. Called customer service and the good fellow emailed me a copy. Had to fill it out and send it, the box top from the PN , a copy of the receipt, a check for the $9.95 and the UPC# from the bottom of the box. Put it in the mail today. I thought that was mighty cool.

...neither rude nor impolite. It corrects a misinformed statement and corrects an attempt to turn it into semantics.
I don't think this is just semantics, or rude to mention. $9.95 is still an expense to the buyer. Good reason for Amazon & others to offer the discount on the older stock when newer stock with the latest Topo 8 in the box is expected soon.

Even for cheapskates like me. $269 for a PN-40 is still a good deal even with that extra out-of-pocket (which would be entirely optional to the buyer).

Edited by lee_rimar
...neither rude nor impolite. It corrects a misinformed statement and corrects an attempt to turn it into semantics.
I don't think this is just semantics, or rude to mention. $9.95 is still an expense to the buyer. Good reason for Amazon & others to offer the discount on the older stock when newer stock with the latest Topo 8 in the box is expected soon.

Even for cheapskates like me. $269 for a PN-40 is still a good deal even with that extra out-of-pocket (which would be entirely optional to the buyer).

I'm in total agreement with full disclosure of cost to the consumer. I believe it is important to know how much to budget when you're preparing to make the purchase. I merely want disclosure to be factually correct. To suggest that I needed less caffeine.... well let's just say I had a cup of high octane Irish coffee mullng over my response. :)

DeLorme has always been good about separating the costs out so that the customer knows up front what they are paying for and for how much.

The 8.0 software retails at 99.95 + shipping of 9.95. when ordered through DeLorme.

Previous version owners of 7.0 whom do not own a PN series, were offered a discounted price of v8.0 69.95 plus shipping of 9.95.

PN purchasers from the last 6 months are offered the software for the simple price of... hold your hats... shipping of 9.95.

No matter how you slice it, it's a great deal now.

That's a reasoned--and reasonable--course of action. The 60csx is a mature, stable product whose reliability is among the best. Even though [in my mind, at least] the probability of having to send in a PN-40 for work is low, I think it significantly higher than for the 60csx.

I'm in total agreement with full disclosure of cost to the consumer. I believe it is important to know how much to budget when you're preparing to make the purchase. I merely want disclosure to be factually correct. To suggest that I needed less caffeine.... well let's just say I had a cup of high octane Irish coffee mullng over my response. :)

DeLorme has always been good about separating the costs out so that the customer knows up front what they are paying for and for how much.

The 8.0 software retails at 99.95 + shipping of 9.95. when ordered through DeLorme.

Previous version owners of 7.0 whom do not own a PN series, were offered a discounted price of v8.0 69.95 plus shipping of 9.95.

PN purchasers from the last 6 months are offered the software for the simple price of... hold your hats... shipping of 9.95.

No matter how you slice it, it's a great deal now.

How do you get the update for 9.95 if you mad the purchase within the last 6 months?

How do you get the update for 9.95 if you mad the purchase within the last 6 months?

There should have been a coupon with instructions in your box for the upgrade. If you didn't get the coupon call Delorme and they'll take care of you. You'll still need a copy of your reciept and either the barcode or box top from the the box.

There should have been a coupon with instructions in your box for the upgrade. If you didn't get the coupon call Delorme and they'll take care of you. You'll still need a copy of your reciept and either the barcode or box top from the the box.

There is no online form....I only have until the 25th to do this(Date of Purchase 11/25/08), I don't think I will get the info from delorme fast enough.... :)

There is no online form....I only have until the 25th to do this(Date of Purchase 11/25/08), I don't think I will get the info from delorme fast enough.... :)

Call their customer service. They're very helpful. Some folks need to bear in mind they are East Coast time. 1.800.561.5105

Edited by TotemLake
...To suggest that I needed less caffeine.... well let's just say I had a cup of high octane Irish coffee mullng over my response. B)
I would NEVER suggest that someone have less caffeine. More is better.

It wasn't you that made the suggestion my friend. :P Btw, I can go to sleep after consuming coffee lots of coffee. I won't get into how much as it may make some folks start giving me medical advise. :)

Call their customer service. They're very helpful. Some folks need to bear in mind they are East Coast time. 1.800.561.5105

I did find the number, I will try in the a.m. and maybe they can get it out tomorrow....I am leaving town Friday Morning so hopefully it makes it in time....I guess I can have them ship info where I am going....that would give me another 2 days....

I did find the number, I will try in the a.m. and maybe they can get it out tomorrow....I am leaving town Friday Morning so hopefully it makes it in time....I guess I can have them ship info where I am going....that would give me another 2 days....

I ordered on Wednesday and received on Saturday via USPS.

Installation process is to remove the previous version after you make a backup copy of your data. Then install the new one. It is a full install package you will receive, not just the upgrade bits.

Mindful, that if purchased from DeLorme proper, a phone call is all thats needed, elsewhere, then the double mail shuffle may prevail.

Faxing is an option.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Thanks

Close call, unfortunately, you did not see a PN-40 in action.

These things sell themselves.

Local cacher friend of mine, who does totally paperless with an in-car Nuvi and a handheld Etrex, and I ran into each other at a cache recently.

Another, third person, was there who had just bought a PN-40 after having seen mine previously.

So as we were talking, the Etrex/Nuvi user wanted to see what it was all about with that H-Res City imagery and how it was used to approach a cache.

You guessed......she got one earlier this week.

...went up to Santa Barbara yesterday to go caching with a sister or cousin.....

...just got an email this AM (connectivity to SB is up today) and now cousin has to have one... B)

People who have never seen the aerial imagery in caching use before just have no idea how............

You might rethink opening that package in anticipation of a quick return/exchange. :)

wanted to see what it was all about with that H-Res City imagery and how it was used to approach a cache.

are you aware of a thread or link to a www site that has some screen shots to get an idea of what this is like?

i realize that an in person demo would be better, but the above would be interesting.

thanks