Oregon 400t for $400 at REI.com

If anyone is looking for a good deal on the Oregon 400t, I just saw it at REI.com on sale for $399.99 with FREE in-store pick-up.

REI is an authorized Garmin reseller AND has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

It's ther best price I've seen on the 400t.

PLUS... you can get an additional $50 rebate on it from Garmin if you buy it by May 10th.

Rebate form here: http://www.rei.com/pdf/rebates/Garmin_Oreg...mp;AID=10456937

Here is the link:

http://www.rei.com/product/775803

Edited by pratzert

I was just looking at the 400t on Amazon. They have it for $355.92, no tax and free shipping. If I bought it at my local REI with our nifty new 9.25% sales tax it would be $386.99 after rebate (which I would probably have to wait 6-8 weeks for). So Amazon with no rebate wait is still $31.07 less than REI. Not sure about the lifetime guarantee though. If Amazon doesn't offer that it might be worth the $30 extra. In any case I'm too poor to buy it at either place. ;)

I was just looking at the 400t on Amazon. They have it for $355.92, no tax and free shipping. If I bought it at my local REI with our nifty new 9.25% sales tax it would be $386.99 after rebate (which I would probably have to wait 6-8 weeks for). So Amazon with no rebate wait is still $31.07 less than REI. Not sure about the lifetime guarantee though. If Amazon doesn't offer that it might be worth the $30 extra. In any case I'm too poor to buy it at either place. ;)

lumens,

I think you are looking at the COLORADO 400t and not the OREGON 400t.

And the Colorado does not have the $50 rebate from Garmin.

With the sale price at REI... the Oregon is only a little bit more money and you get a lot more GPS.

But if don't have the money for either one.... it's a moot point. I don't have the bucks either, but it's so hard to pass this deal up. It ends up costing $370 after tax with the rebate. ( Only 6% tax where I live. )

Thanks !

Edited by pratzert

I found out about this deal yesterday when I was picking people's brains about the best deal on a 60CSx. With such a small price difference I decided to go for the Oregon 400t. I tried to buy it over the phone so I could just go and pick it up at a nearby REI store, but you have to be a REI member to do so. I just hope they have them in stock when I'm done with work for the day.

lumens,

I think you are looking at the COLORADO 400t and not the OREGON 400t.

And the Colorado does not have the $50 rebate from Garmin.

With the sale price at REI... the Oregon is only a little bit more money and you get a lot more GPS.

But if don't have the money for either one.... it's a moot point. I don't have the bucks either, but it's so hard to pass this deal up. It ends up costing $370 after tax with the rebate. ( Only 6% tax where I live. )

Thanks !

Youre right. Thanks! That's a heck of a good deal.

Don't confuse the Colorado on Amazon with the Oregon.

This is one heck of a deal. I ordered from a place in Michigan 2 weeks ago, paid $465 (best price anywhere at the time) so this is awesome! Lifetime satisfaction guarantee is pretty nice too although I'm not familiar with their policy on that.

I bought an Oregon 400T from REI on April 4th for $599.95. I went back a week later, and it was priced at $549.95. They refunded me the difference. We saw the ad for the $399.99 for today (May 1st), we went back and they refunded the difference again. Of course since the price ends in 99, we won't get a dividend on it. The $150 plus the tax we got back was way more than the dividend would have been. I have been an REI member for many years, and may not have always been satisfied with some of the stuff they carry, I have alway been satisfied with the customer service. They have always given me a refund if I wasn't satisfied with the product.

I still have to send in the rebate, so that will be another $50 off.

Edited by BiscuitMunchers

Just looked at the Oregon 400t .... does anyone know what the display looks like for GPX files? I assume there is name, GC code, lat/lon, difficulty/terrain. Do you get the entire hint? Do you get any logs?

My GPSMAP 60 CX truncates the hint field (when I load from GSAK) which mean that I cannot go paperless.

After spending 20+ hours trying to get my pn-40 to work worth while and to load more than 1000 waypoints, i gave up at 3:00 am.

I got up in a few hour determined to get this going and saw this thread and saw the price... must... go... get...

Was able to drive 130 miles round trip, and stop for food, get back, get my 10399 POI loaded and DONE in a FRACTION of the time.

AMEN.

Just went a picked one up! Now I have to figure out how to use it. Big step from the Garmin Legend and Venture.

I see there are lots of updates for the 400t, should I do these ASAP or get to know this thing first?

Upgrade to the latest firmware. It appears good and has many new features.

I picked one up too.

Seems as the topo maps are off by around a 100 ft in my area, I'm still checking this out.

I shall get the 24k WA topo soon though.

The interface is pretty good, I love the 3D view, that was a surprise feature.

The display is slightly unusable in the sun light, back light is needed, but then its very usable.

I have it configured so the display turns off after 30 seconds, I shall see how long the battery lasts.

The accuracy indicates at 9ft when walking around my yard, is that really true??

I have another GPS unit that gets sub metre accuracy, but that unit cost 10 times as much.

I picked one up too.

Seems as the topo maps are off by around a 100 ft in my area, I'm still checking this out.

The interface is pretty good, I love the 3D view, that was a surprise feature.

The display is slightly unusable in the sun light, back light is needed, but then its very usable.

I have it configured so the display turns off after 30 seconds, I shall see how long the battery lasts.

The accuracy indicates at 9ft when walking around my yard, is that really true??

I have another GPS unit that gets sub metre accuracy, but that unit cost 10 times as much.

I typically get 2 - 3 metre accuracy

Just looked at the Oregon 400t .... does anyone know what the display looks like for GPX files? I assume there is name, GC code, lat/lon, difficulty/terrain. Do you get the entire hint? Do you get any logs?

My GPSMAP 60 CX truncates the hint field (when I load from GSAK) which mean that I cannot go paperless.

There's a HowTo on this page which will show you how geocaching works on the Oregon:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/geocaching#toc26

Well we used the new 400t today for the first time and I'm liking it. I can see the 24k map in my future as there isn't enough detail in the topo that comes with it when you zoom in close. I upgrade the firmware to the newest version that Garmin has for now. Not sure about the beta versions.

I sure like the paperless idea and making comments in the field and then uploading them to the geocaching site is a snap..just awesome!

Yep, I picked up a 400t from REI yesterday after work. I've been playing around with it, but haven't had a chance to really try it out yet with the stormy weather we're having. I ordered the City Navigator software off Amazon.com last night -- REI only had older versions of the maps.

Yep, I picked up a 400t from REI yesterday after work. I've been playing around with it, but haven't had a chance to really try it out yet with the stormy weather we're having. I ordered the City Navigator software off Amazon.com last night -- REI only had older versions of the maps.

The product image on the REI City Navigator product page showed 2009 on the DVD -- isn't this the latest version?

TIA,

D

The product image on the REI City Navigator product page showed 2009 on the DVD -- isn't this the latest version?

Garmin is listing the City Navigator NT 2010 update available when you register a new unit with older versions of CN.

2 days ago I registered an Oregon 400t that I had CN NT v8 unlocked on and was given a free update to CN NT 2010.

TIA,

D

That's not what they had at the REI I went to. It was version 2008, I think. I had written down the part number from the Garmin site for the 2009 version, and what they had at REI did not match.

No big deal -- Amazon.com had it for about $30 less ($77.42 with free shipping versus $99.99 plus tax at REI).

Garmin is listing the City Navigator NT 2010 update available when you register a new unit with older versions of CN.

2 days ago I registered an Oregon 400t that I had CN NT v8 unlocked on and was given a free update to CN NT 2010.

So, how do you tell which year version a particular copy of CT is from the packaging? Everything I've seen in the store and on their website doesn't show a year, so I've just been going by the part number.

I also noticed that the version REI had listed only Windows system requirements on the package, and I have a Mac. Garmin lists Mac system requirements for the latest version on their website.

Here's free 24K topo for WA: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/95/.

-- Rob

Thanks, that map is about the same, although it has more detail about dirt roads that used to have road names 20 years ago. I like it.

They are both off for things like streams and creeks. I have a Sportrac Color loaded with Magellan's Topo, theirs is spot on.

I was just looking at the 400t on Amazon. They have it for $355.92, no tax and free shipping. If I bought it at my local REI with our nifty new 9.25% sales tax it would be $386.99 after rebate (which I would probably have to wait 6-8 weeks for). So Amazon with no rebate wait is still $31.07 less than REI. Not sure about the lifetime guarantee though. If Amazon doesn't offer that it might be worth the $30 extra. In any case I'm too poor to buy it at either place. :lol:

In California the tax is 8.75% and with REI you get your member 10% dividend at the end of the year. If you are currently a member you may have received the 20% discount on one full price item (by 5/10/09) which is applied before the $50 rebate. Shipping is free with store delivery.

I was just looking at the 400t on Amazon. They have it for $355.92, no tax and free shipping. If I bought it at my local REI with our nifty new 9.25% sales tax it would be $386.99 after rebate (which I would probably have to wait 6-8 weeks for). So Amazon with no rebate wait is still $31.07 less than REI. Not sure about the lifetime guarantee though. If Amazon doesn't offer that it might be worth the $30 extra. In any case I'm too poor to buy it at either place. :lol:

In California the tax is 8.75% and with REI you get your member 10% dividend at the end of the year. If you are currently a member you may have received the 20% discount on one full price item (by 5/10/09) which is applied before the $50 rebate. Shipping is free with store delivery.

Not no more just went to amazon and this is what the price is as of 5 min ago.

Added to your

Shopping Cart:

Garmin Oregon 400T 3-Inch Touchscreen Handheld GPS Unit with Preloaded Topographic Maps- Garmin

Condition: New

$489.99

- quantity: 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

subtotal = $489.99

so REI is still the better deal as of now.

I just got mine today and am kicking myself for not purchasing my Colorado at REI. I could have returned it today for an exchange. As for the extra 20% discount, the fine print reads that you can't use it on prices ending in ._3 or ._9---Hence using it on the Oregon is out. It's still nice to have the discount in the future though.

I just got mine today and am kicking myself for not purchasing my Colorado at REI. I could have returned it today for an exchange. As for the extra 20% discount, the fine print reads that you can't use it on prices ending in ._3 or ._9---Hence using it on the Oregon is out. It's still nice to have the discount in the future though.

Did you just go to your local store and they had it in stock, or did oyu order it and have it delivered to the store for pickup ?

I ordered mine to go to the store, but so far... no notice of it arriving at the store.

I hope I didn't waste my time ordering it if they have them in stock anyway.

The sales tax varies from county to county. Here in Santa Clara County it is 9.25%. The 20% discount isn't available on items ending in "9" or for any GPS units.

Thanks, though.

Do you need to be a member to buy at REI? Or is it just with the "Ship to Store" option from ordering online?

You do not need to be any sort of member.

But if you do sign up for a membership, it's $20 and you get discounts at different times.

I think you get some sort of rebate credits too for things you buy with certain restrictions.

But before you order on-line.... call your local store to see if they have it in stock already and you can pick it up right away wihout ordering it and you still get the sale price.

you get the hint when you send a gpx file to the gps...

however, i went a bought the 400t even though i have a 60CSX and compared the two today and noticed an accuracy difference of +-8 feet with the oregon. the 60 was more accurate according to the gps readings

Edited by morphik

Oh geez, I just got an Oregon 300 a couple of days ago from Amazon for $399. I am thinking of returning it and ordering the 400t from REI - but a little nervous since we did open the 300 package - I would hate to end up with $800 worth of GPS! Any opinion on whether the topo maps are at all useful? (I know we'll be getting to 24K for our state in either case, but to have US-wide topo coverage is temping...)

And has anyone returned a GPS to Amazon? Any headaches?

Thanks!

Any opinion on whether the topo maps are at all useful?

Not worth the difference really, the topo map is ok, but since you'll get the 24k topo map. You download free 24k maps online too. The only advantage of the 400 over the 300 is the flash memory, a microSD card is cheap though. The 400t comes with no software for your PC.

I would keep what you have.

Any opinion on whether the topo maps are at all useful?

Not worth the difference really, the topo map is ok, but since you'll get the 24k topo map. You download free 24k maps online too. The only advantage of the 400 over the 300 is the flash memory, a microSD card is cheap though. The 400t comes with no software for your PC.

I would keep what you have.

Thank you so much for this advice - I am going to save myself the trouble!!! I am not sure where to get 24K maps for free, but that sounds like a great way to go -I will poke around on this forum to find leads.

Thanks everyone!