Hide Disabled caches on maps

ivanidea

Please could you add the option on the 'map-it' page to prevent archived / disabled caches from displaying.

I would like to see only active caches, although I can understand that some folk might to want to see where inactive caches are located.

Many thanks,

Ivan

Please could you add the option on the 'map-it' page to prevent archived / disabled caches from displaying.

I would like to see only active caches, although I can understand that some folk might to want to see where inactive caches are located.

Many thanks,

Ivan

Inactive caches will show because presumably they will be active. As pointed out, archived caches don't show. Also when placing a cache you need to pay attention to inactive caches for the saturation guidelines.

Jim

Apologies for using the wrong terminology. I am referring to inactive caches.

When I research an area, I don't want to see the inactive (usually muggled) caches.

I can tick the box so I don't see certain types of caches, so why can't I tick a box so I can only see active caches! I don't look for inactive caches since they are usually missing! They might be 'temporary', but it is annoying when you see an inactive cache listed for many months (some for as long as a year).

That makes a lot of sense to me why people would not want them on the map, but please leave them available for the rest of us.

There are a number of them I'm watching to see when they'll show up again. Also I'm watching to see if their owner does not pay attention to them after a long time (someone hasn't logged in at all in almost a year with a disabled/ missing cache) so I'll request they be archived if no one attends to them.

I like to see them moved on if no one takes care of the problems.

I also like to know where the disabled ones are so I can see where not to place caches. I'd hate to go through all the trouble of placing a cache only to find out we are still waiting on another cache to see whether it will be archived or repaired.

I like the idea of options so everyone is happy. thanks!

I agree with the OP. I think there should be a means to recognize a disabled cache on the maps without clicking on the icon. May not be the most pressing issue the developers have to work on, but I think that it makes good sense.

on the maps disabled caches are shown with a gray background instead of white.

disabled.jpg

I agree with the OP. I think there should be a means to recognize a disabled cache on the maps without clicking on the icon. May not be the most pressing issue the developers have to work on, but I think that it makes good sense.

disabled.jpg

huh - Learn something new Everyday!!!

Thanks jerpete!!!

Disabled caches are shown on the maps by design. In the short term, seeing a newly disabled cache conveys useful information. "Oh, I was going to look for that one on Saturday. Better cross it off the list until it's fixed." And in the long run, staring at that disabled cache for months will become annoying. At that point, you may want to ask the owner what's up, and if you don't get an answer, you may want to log a "needs archived" to attract a cache reviewer's attention.

You can hide multis, events, puzzles etc, so why not have the option of hiding disabled caches? I can even hide the caches I have found!

When I am looking at an area I plan to visit, and know I have limited time, I hide the mystery and multis. I would like to hide the inactive caches, so I know what I can realistically find.

I did not realize that! Thanks for pointing it out. Personally, though, I'd rather see a more noticable color change than gray. At least two of us here had never even noticed that difference.

Hi,

a picture says more than 1,000 words, so i played a little bit with GIMP:

gs_hide_disabled.png

I really would like to be able to hide disabled caches in the Geocaching Maps view. Sometimes it is nice to be able to see them on them on the map, most most of the time the are simply distract me.

What do you think about that idea? Propably it is simple to code, but convenient to have when viewing the map.

Regards from (well, see above :unsure: ),

Klaus

Good idea! I'd like to add two more suggestions:

- add an option to hide ignored caches

- add the possibility to toggle the premium member display filters using url parameters (for use in bookmarks)

Thank you for taking this into consideration!

1. The above two posts were originally a separate thread on this same subject. I merged that thread into this one.

2. I changed the title of this thread to make it more descriptive and accurate. It used to be "Archived caches on maps" and now it is "Hide Disabled caches on maps."

- add an option to hide ignored caches

Agreed. I only have a couple on my ignore list, but it's odd seeing them on the GC google map.

For this one IMO it should be that ignored caches are hidden by default with the option to 'Show Ignored Caches' via a check box.