Finder or keeper?

I am coming to the conclusion that I actualy prefer to set caches rather than find them.

Not only do I get a sesne of adventure when out scouting for a suitable location, I also get excitied waiting in anticipation for the cache to get publish....then waiting to see who bags the FTF.

I then get some satisfaction when people find it and leave an interesting of complementary log note.

I wonder if anybody else is "keeper" as thats what i class myself as.....

If you are "finder" then im interested to know why you prefer to find?

Perhaps this thread could become and interesting debate.

I am coming to the conclusion that I actualy prefer to set caches rather than find them.

Not only do I get a sesne of adventure when out scouting for a suitable location, I also get excitied waiting in anticipation for the cache to get publish....then waiting to see who bags the FTF.

I then get some satisfaction when people find it and leave an interesting of complementary log note.

Yes I too enjoy the setting process and log monitoring as much or more than the finding side.

Although I've not set too many caches many of mine are set in a slightly quirky manner, which gets fewer visits but suits me just fine.

My personal view is that geocaching has deteriorated with the exponential explosion of placement in recent times and I will often seek out a single cache to visit that will take me to a nice area rather than gain a large find bag that day.

I certainly hate getting short "Easy find, TNLN" logs on my caches but am often guilty of writing such logs myself on the massive rings of caches that has become the more recent trend.

I think all too many cachers are driven by find counts now, lets have more quality and less quantity. :D

I couldn't agree more MW.

Time was when you might see an interesting cache pop up every week - now they're very much in the minority to meaningless trails of micros.

I far prefer to put a few weeks thought into placing a nice, single, cache that might take people somewhere other than just a 3 mile circular walk across some fileds (we don't need power trails to tell us where to walk, do we?).

We believe everything has its place,whether its a power walk with many finds or a scenic view you are seeking , as long as the cache page is informative we pick and choose.The ignore list is a useful weapon.Some power trails are about the challenge like the Chiltern Hundreds ,the setter challenges you to do the trail in 24hrs .All said and done the best caches are always location,location,location......MooToo

now they're very much in the minority to meaningless trails of micros.

We're lucky (ish) in some respects here, we don't have great trails of micros because there isn't the room to place, massive series now!!

Team Marzipan FAR prefer to set caches than find them... Mike has his own business and is out and about all day every day. He keeps a stash of caches in the van and drops them off when he finds something interesting.

Funny things is about their caches is that they are predominantly micros (not film cannisters though) and nobody moans because the cache pages, locations and the hide themselves are ALWAYS fabulous!!!

They have the most hides in the country.

I've hidden a few, but not that many - 9 in total, with 3 archived. They don't get found too often, but some of the logs have given me a great deal of pleasure. Logs of few words or just "TFTC" are annoying!

I prefer finding myself, although I'm not a particularly prolific cacher - the most I've ever found in one day was 14, although that was very much a one-off and I've never come close to that since - on average I'll find about three or four in a day, although often it'll only be one. This is mainly down to time constraints more than anything else, and although I'm trying to clear my local patch, I'm not busting a gut to do so. I just enjoy getting out for a nice walk and finding a good cache while I'm at it.

Lee

This is interesting. I've been doing this hobby since June '08 so I'm a relative new comer to it all but I have discoverdd a couple of interesting things.

I do like to find caches. The reason is that by finding them I'm getting fit. But I'm not a big fan of the big bag in a day - Generally 4 or 5 is enough for me and those tend to be spread out a ways - so I can cycle / walk between them. Although I recently did complete a 24 cache series - mostly because I saw this as a challenge to my fitness levels (.i.e would I be too tired to complete it).

I don't suffer from FTF Fetish - something that quite a lot of cachers seem to suffer from, and in fact I do wonder if this does put some people off, seeing the same old faces FTFing on the logs?

Now as to putting in caches - I enojy doing that too, as long as they are in interesting or unusual places or provide an interesting challenge. Now whilst I admit I was initially seduced by the nano - look at it, it's utra-tiny...! I've now 'upgraded' my nano's to micros or bigger and have placed the nano's in storage.

The main interest I get is in how long it takes someone to find it. The record for least time for one of mine is 12 mins. The most was 5 days (for one of my encrypted mystery caches).

Do I think there are too many caches? Well I'm not a great exponent of the punch-syndrome "It was funnier / better / tougher in days gone by" but I am just a little peeved at the predominance of the micro and nano which does suggest a lack of imagination on the placer's behalf, something I suffered from and can only come with experience.

I guess I am a 50/50 hider and seeker but with a side order of cache container collection. I now have an inordinate amount of cache containers I've acquired in the last few months and no place to put them (yet).

Tsiolkovsky

Team Marzipan FAR prefer to set caches than find them... Mike has his own business and is out and about all day every day. He keeps a stash of caches in the van and drops them off when he finds something interesting.

They have the most hides in the country.

Really?????

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....e244d1&ds=2

How about most hides:

Wales Team Marzipan

Scotland Perth Pathfinders

England probably Lollybob

?

I like the idea martlakes have in the Lakes of giving each cache a shelf life

After so long they remove them & this frees up space to replace with new caches

It means you can revisit areas with "new" caches you may not otherwise return to

I'm starting to adopt their approach - I have a few caches which don't get rave reviews so are on my "for the chop" list :unsure:

I'm not what you would call a prolific finder or a keeper but of the caches I have set up and are active now I would say I enjoyed the setting up more than finding.

I found doing the research for cache sites, getting in contact with the land owners then getting their permission to place which can be frustrating :rolleyes: then having the cache published was very rewarding. :blink:

I like the idea martlakes have in the Lakes of giving each cache a shelf life

After so long they remove them & this frees up space to replace with new caches

It means you can revisit areas with "new" caches you may not otherwise return to

I'm starting to adopt their approach - I have a few caches which don't get rave reviews so are on my "for the chop" list :rolleyes:

It makes sense.

I've also "culled" a few. :blink:

I usually then hide another in a totally new location. Cache for Cache B)

I think we're more finders than hiders. We've only placed 2 caches so far, but there's more in the pipeline for when we next get a weekend off. Mrs P has certainly gotten the bug for being a hider rather than a seeker and has earmarked a good half dozen potential sites to give a proper recce though.

Neither of us are what we call "FTF whores" and the only ones we have are because we noticed them within half a mile of our house when we about to set off for a walk anyway.

Team Psychotrapper - Him: finder. Her: hider.

Not a bad team, all in all.