Cache Attributes: Difficult Climbing

Jackalgirl

Introducing...

"Difficult Climbing"

by Jackalgirl & Motocycleboi

Sunset_258x258.gifSunsetIcon_258x258.gif

Daybreak_86x86.gifNightCacher_86x86.gifStormyWeather_86x86.gifDaybreakIcon_86x86.gifNightCacherIcon_86x86.gifStormyWeatherIcon_86x86.gif

First in the "Cache Attributes" series -- a humorous look at those icons that warn & inform you about the caches you plan to seek -- "Difficult Climbing" features a cacher who has just discovered that the attribute just might be a bit of an understatement.

"Difficult Climbing" is available for pre-sale in four versions:

"Sunset Question" (Black Nickel) - sunset colors with a black & white icon

"Daybreak" (Copper) - pink & purples heralding dawn - with a warm glow-in-the-dark icon

"Night Cacher" (Satin Silver) - blues and a cool glow-in-the-dark icon

"Stormy Weather" (Dyed Black) - lowering skies and a "tornado green" glow-in-the-dark icon <-- Artist's Choice

The coin is 1.75" square with a convenient hole for Geocoin Buddies or other tag-alongs and uses imitation hard enamel throughout.

These coins are selling for SEK 84,80 each (approximately $10), with a set going for SEK 328 (approximately $38.85), excluding VAT* and shipping costs.

Icon: DifficultClimbing(Icon).gif as soon as 50 have been sold.

The coin's custom prefix is "CA". Original illustration by Jackalgirl; color/plating combos by Jackalgirl and Motocycleboi.

Presales will open at 10:00am GMT (approximately 2.5 hours from this posting) and will be open until 10:00am GMT on MAY 7.

Pre-sale link!

*EU customers add VAT, which is 25% (coins: SEK 106 each, set: SEK 410). Non-EU customers do not pay this tax.

Edited: the custom prefix will be "CA". Sorry for any confusion!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Hi, everyone --

It looks like the polardesign.se website has crashed, perhaps -- if you're getting a "fatal error" trying to pull up the sales link, then you're seeing what I'm seeing. I've notified Motocycleboi and will post again once I know things are working again.

-- JG

Is there a cache by you called 5.12a that this is based on ? ;)I like that the cacher is a girl :D I recently DNF'd a cache similar to the one depicted, we decided to come back with harnesses and rope, haven't gotten there yet though :ph34r:
5.12a is a difficulty rating in rock climbing, as you probably know if you have harness and rope.
Is there a cache by you called 5.12a that this is based on ? ;)I like that the cacher is a girl :lol: I recently DNF'd a cache similar to the one depicted, we decided to come back with harnesses and rope, haven't gotten there yet though :angry:
5.12a is a difficulty rating in rock climbing, as you probably know if you have harness and rope.

Yep, I was just wondering if JackalGirl had a cache called 5.12a or was inspired by a specific cache :ph34r:

edited to add: b/c i like really the idea of naming a cache that :sad: I ordered a couple even though my particular DNF was probably a bit easier than 5.12a :D Not easy enough to attempt w/out protection though!

Edited by ThirstyMick

Is there a cache by you called 5.12a that this is based on ? :D

I like that the cacher is a girl :ph34r: I recently DNF'd a cache similar to the one depicted, we decided to come back with harnesses and rope, haven't gotten there yet though :lol:

I'm afraid to say that it's not based on any cache I know of (though I'm sure there are some that qualify); I just thought it would be funny. ; )

Knowing me, I would go after something like that with no gear. I instinctively seem to seek out the hardest, muddiest, thorniest route...in sneakers. "This'll only take a minute!"

Is there a cache by you called 5.12a that this is based on ? :ph34r:

I like that the cacher is a girl :lol:

Thought it was me back in my ponytail days. :D

Nice coin, what other attributes do you have planned?

Thanks, Mike -- the next two (assuming this one is successful) are going to be "May Require Wading" and "Stealth Required". I'm thinking "Watch for Livestock" might be another topic, and also have some ideas for "Thorns". : )

All I have tried to order say out of stock. Are they gone already?

The site is a little confusing that way -- as MCB says, the coins aren't actually in hand (because it's a presale) so the site says "out of stock". However, you can still put as many as you like into your shopping cart and you can go through the check-out process to get them.

After the first order, and a day of bouldering, I described the coin to PolskiKrol (the boyfriend). After he laughed, he told me to order more than the two I had. Odd; he's usually pretty cheap :unsure: LOL, so I just ordered a set. Combine the orders if it's easier, or not if that's easier hahaha. Can't wait to see em :D

edit to add: i love this coin, if my previous posts didnt adequately convey that :D not only is it caching related, but i've been that girl :D I haven't been purchasing many coins lately. I've been cutting back a lot actually, but this one i had to have. okay, now it's this six. thanks for designing and minting it! I really cant wait to see them!

/Kroner seems to have gained a bit on the dollar in the past day, oh well

Edited by ThirstyMick

I'm glad you enjoy the coin -- and the joke. I'm actually not a climber -- that much, at least. Our local Morale & Welfare Emporium (the "Weasel's Den") used to have a big indoor rock climbing wall and I really, really enjoyed it; when I was resting between climbs (or other people were on the wall), I'd sit down and read the rock climbing magazines that were always laying about. That's where I got the rudimentary understanding of the difficulty ratings, and also the sense that people who climb rocks -- especially the "free climbers" -- are crazy, crazy people. But the magazines were a lot of fun and I can just imagine one of those nuts emplacing a cache in a crevice that requires some kind of absolutely insane "crux move" to get to...just as much as I can imagine myself getting on top of "ground zero" without realizing that "ground zero" is actually on the underside of the cliff I'm standing on. I'm the dork who will wander around for an hour, looking for the cache, and not realizing that that's what's going on (in fact, I did exactly that with an actual cache, until on the third attempt I realized why my GPS was giving the readings it was giving).

The coins in this series, by the way, are about a cacher (me) who is a perennially not-prepared dork, and who gets into Situations because she is not prepared. ; )

(But all is not lost. Lately, I've actually remembered to wear my boots, vice my sneakers, while going out looking for caches, on a couple of occassions. She can learn!)

Is there a cache by you called 5.12a that this is based on ? :yikes:

I like that the cacher is a girl :D

Thought it was me back in my ponytail days. :unsure:

Nice coin, what other attributes do you have planned?

Thanks, Mike -- the next two (assuming this one is successful) are going to be "May Require Wading" and "Stealth Required". I'm thinking "Watch for Livestock" might be another topic, and also have some ideas for "Thorns". : )

Thorns Would that be a BrierPatch?

Hi, everyone --

MotoCycleBoi and I have decided to extend the pre-sale and, based on sales, are also turning some of the finishes into LEs.

Not to worry, this does not mean that you'll have to wait any longer. We're placing the order for coins now; we've just ordered some extra -- the coins will ship on time.

The "Stormy Weather" coin is now an AE with a total of only 35 minted.

"Daybreak" and "Night Cacher" will be LEs, with a total of 50 minted for each.

None of the above platings will be reminted.

The "Sunset Question" will remain the RE and may be reminted.

There are only 8 AEs left. Only four of these will be available for individual sale -- the other four are part of four-coin sets. After all the AEs are gone, we'll make three-coin sets (the two LEs plus an RE) available.

This sale will be open another week, until the 14th. Again, this will NOT delay shipment for those of you who've already ordered your coins.

Thanks!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Hi, everyone --

MotoCycleBoi and I have decided to extend the pre-sale and, based on sales, are also turning some of the finishes into LEs.

Not to worry, this does not mean that you'll have to wait any longer. We're placing the order for coins now; we've just ordered some extra -- the coins will ship on time.

The "Stormy Weather" coin is now an AE with a total of only 35 minted.

"Daybreak" and "Night Cacher" will be LEs, with a total of 50 minted for each.

None of the above platings will be reminted.

The "Sunset Question" will remain the RE and may be reminted.

There are only 8 AEs left. Only four of these will be available for individual sale -- the other four are part of four-coin sets. After all the AEs are gone, we'll make three-coin sets (the two LEs plus an RE) available.

This sale will be open another week, until the 14th. Again, this will NOT delay shipment for those of you who've already ordered your coins.

Thanks!

If you ordered a set you get one of each, right?

If you ordered a set you get one of each, right?

That's right -- while the sets of four are still available, you'll get one of each. After the AEs are all sold out, you'll have the option to buy coins individually or in sets of three (the RE and the two LEs).

The Polar Design store lets you set it to show you the cost in whatever currency you like; just look in the upper left-hand corner of the page for the option to "show prices in" and then switch it from SEK to your favorite flavor of lucre. Also, if you're not in one of the EU's member states, set the radio button to "Prices excl. VAT", since you won't be paying the Value Added Tax.

UPDATE: There's only one (1) Artist Edition coin left (of 35 minted) that is not in a set, so if you were thinking about buying the AE separately, as a single coin, only one person can actually do that. After that, the only way to get the limited Artist's Edition is to buy a full set of four coins (of which there are only three more left)!

I just wanted to bump this thread -- these coins are still available at geocoin.se in the "Sunset Question" (RE black nickel/IHE) and the "Daybreak" (LE - copper/IHE) editions. The "Night Cacher" and "Stormy Weather" (AE) are sold out.

The prices are (excluding VAT):

- 8,32 Euros

- $11.85

- 84,40 SEK

Add 25% (ouch!) for VAT if you have to pay it.

Cheers!

I just wanted to bump this thread -- these coins are still available at geocoin.se in the "Sunset Question" (RE black nickel/IHE) and the "Daybreak" (LE - copper/IHE) editions. The "Night Cacher" and "Stormy Weather" (AE) are sold out.

The prices are (excluding VAT):

- 8,32 Euros

- $11.85

- 84,40 SEK

Add 25% (ouch!) for VAT if you have to pay it.

Cheers!

Ooof, I'm glad I got mine when the exchange rate was more favorable to us in the states! :D

I love them, btw :unsure: Still haven't activated any, but I will set a couple free ;)