Spoilers

JustJackMN

I think it is funny that "Spoilers may be included in logs." There is no such thing as a spoiler.......if it helps find the cache, the better the log. I would have been very helpful today if there were spoilers in the logs. Would have had a good day........would not have almost killed myself and would have found something. 5 is not high enough terrain rating...........15 to 20 would be better.

I beg to differ. There are spoilers. Caches are hidden. Even using a GPSr, you usually have to search a little. There is a difficulty rating for the hide. A one star cache should be very easy. A five star hide is very tough.

Let's say I hid a cache and gave it an appropiate three star rating. I want seekers to scratch there heads and think. Now along comes Cacher T. In his log he says, "Good thing I looked inside the pipe. It is fake and it comes apart." that is a spoiler. In additon, it is unwelcome.

I'm sorry you had a bad day caching. but even a bad day caching is better than a good day working.

I think it is funny that "Spoilers may be included in logs." There is no such thing as a spoiler.......if it helps find the cache, the better the log. I would have been very helpful today if there were spoilers in the logs. Would have had a good day........would not have almost killed myself and would have found something. 5 is not high enough terrain rating...........15 to 20 would be better.

Some people enjoy the extra challenge.

Let's be reasonable, guys this is the beginners forum. Let's take this as an instructive moment.

1. Noody likes to do a lot of work and have nothing to show for it

2. If we weren't looking for a challenge we wouldn't be geocaching. Why else would grown men and women go tromping through the woods risking ticks, snakes, mud, burning gas for the privelege of signing a damp piece of paper and rummaging through a box of broken McToys?

3. The purpose of logs is to share your experience with the cache owner and fellow cachers. Occasionally there are mentions in the logs that assist in identifying then location. However, that's not the purpose of logging. Giving hints (or not) is the responsibility of the cache owner, not finders. It's up to the owner to determine what difficulty level they wisn to assign and hint or not accordingly

Irrespective of the items above, in the process of executing item 3, occasionally hints can be drawn. That's the purpose of the encryption feature. To warn that an inadvertant hint has been given. I am frequently vague in my log so as not to provide a spoiler.

I agree the warning about spoilers is appropriate to give those wishing for the extra challenge the opportunity to avoid the logs. However as a noob I would like to at least have a description of the container in there and an honest rating on the difficulty of the cache.

WV jeepr

Here we go again! LOL

Let me assure you that everyone who has ever played this game/sport/activity has had a bad day. It goes with the nature of the game. I've had some real mean little micros taunt me for weeks unitl I finally found them. Geez does it feel good when you finally make the find on one of these little devils!

Can I say that I would have loved a few more hints? Perhaps at the moment of greatest frustration, but not at all once I made the find. This is what gives a tough find it's value. I've had two such caches that haunted me for weeks. One was a micro that was in a forest of Bamboo, where the obstruction caused by the bamboo made the GPSr bounce like a super ball. Yet I finally made the find. The other was a micro that was suspended by s shoe string in a storm drain grate. It had tall buildings all around it, to make the GPSr dance like mad. Thank heavens they had just replace it with a brand new shiney container. The original was even camoflouged. When I found it, I felt like I had whipped the world. Spoilers would have ruined that, and robbed me of that moment.

The current system is pretty accurate from what I've seen. It gives the cache size, difficulty level, and even rates the terrain for us less than athletic types. I've even seen the ratings changed when enough players complained about the ratings being innacurate. We also need to understand that the owners of the caches want to have fun taunting us a bit. Why else would they spend their money and time creating caches? It has to be fun for everyone.

While there is a place for the most simple caches to exist, there is also a need for others of various levels of difficulty and physical prowess. The trick is in choosing the ones that meet your own level of expertise and abilities. I love the simple walk up cache and dash, but I also love the tiny evil micro that taunts me mercilesly!

Good luck finding anyone with any experience that wants to cheapen the game with spoilers. Hints and such are the realm of the owner to decide. Then the players can choose whether they want to take the challenge . . . just the way it is presented.

Give yourself a chance to learn the value of a few tough caches. I have no doubt you will agree completely in a relatively short time. Nobody is trying to be mean to you! We just want to assure you that you will most likely see things very differently in due time.

Seeker_Knight

I do not like spoilers. We enjoy the challenge. We stay away from the hint and past logs unless we want it. (It cold, it is not fun, we are running out of time., etc.)

Please do not leave spoilers in your logs. If the cache owner wanted those hints given they would have given them.

Logs like "it was not what i expected." are ok. But don't say "I didn't think it would be hidden in the pipe!"

If you want to search for caches that aren't as challenging, then search for low star difficulty.

I agree the warning about spoilers is appropriate to give those wishing for the extra challenge the opportunity to avoid the logs. However as a noob I would like to at least have a description of the container in there and an honest rating on the difficulty of the cache.

WV jeepr

I have to agree with the bolded part above. Especially in a traditional cache, I feel that one should make the cache difficult by the camo, and/or the hiding spot, and not try to make it more difficult by ignoring the "size of cache" checkmark when publishing the cache. I honestly feel that sometimes this info is deliberately left out on a micro cache so people won't be able to filter them out. I've lost track ot the number of times one of these with "size not chosen" turns out to be a micro.

A cacher should not deliberately put info in their log to help others find the cache. Clues and hints should be provided by the hider only. When spoilers are in the logs it can change the intent and difficulty of the cache, which should be left to the owner, not people finding it.

I beg to differ. There are spoilers. Caches are hidden. Even using a GPSr, you usually have to search a little. There is a difficulty rating for the hide. A one star cache should be very easy. A five star hide is very tough.

Let's say I hid a cache and gave it an appropiate three star rating. I want seekers to scratch there heads and think. Now along comes Cacher T. In his log he says, "Good thing I looked inside the pipe. It is fake and it comes apart." that is a spoiler. In additon, it is unwelcome.

I'm sorry you had a bad day caching. but even a bad day caching is better than a good day working.

I agree... I'm new at this just a few finds so far and a lot of no finds, some no finds are because I haven't gotten over that wiered feeling of looking stupid, scrounging around places in public and people seeing me, (I know It Will Pass) doesn't help the fact i'm in my rooter van most the time (caching at lunch or slow times) I will go back to the no finds at a later date... I like hints... But not spoilers, maybe they can find a way to let people encrypt there messages if they contain spoilers...

anyways I'm glad geocaching exisits... I LOVE IT!

Jason

Here we go again! LOL

Let me assure you that everyone who has ever played this game/sport/activity has had a bad day. It goes with the nature of the game. I've had some real mean little micros taunt me for weeks unitl I finally found them. Geez does it feel good when you finally make the find on one of these little devils!

Can I say that I would have loved a few more hints? Perhaps at the moment of greatest frustration, but not at all once I made the find. This is what gives a tough find it's value. I've had two such caches that haunted me for weeks. One was a micro that was in a forest of Bamboo, where the obstruction caused by the bamboo made the GPSr bounce like a super ball. Yet I finally made the find. The other was a micro that was suspended by s shoe string in a storm drain grate. It had tall buildings all around it, to make the GPSr dance like mad. Thank heavens they had just replace it with a brand new shiney container. The original was even camoflouged. When I found it, I felt like I had whipped the world. Spoilers would have ruined that, and robbed me of that moment.

The current system is pretty accurate from what I've seen. It gives the cache size, difficulty level, and even rates the terrain for us less than athletic types. I've even seen the ratings changed when enough players complained about the ratings being innacurate. We also need to understand that the owners of the caches want to have fun taunting us a bit. Why else would they spend their money and time creating caches? It has to be fun for everyone.

While there is a place for the most simple caches to exist, there is also a need for others of various levels of difficulty and physical prowess. The trick is in choosing the ones that meet your own level of expertise and abilities. I love the simple walk up cache and dash, but I also love the tiny evil micro that taunts me mercilesly!

Good luck finding anyone with any experience that wants to cheapen the game with spoilers. Hints and such are the realm of the owner to decide. Then the players can choose whether they want to take the challenge . . . just the way it is presented.

Give yourself a chance to learn the value of a few tough caches. I have no doubt you will agree completely in a relatively short time. Nobody is trying to be mean to you! We just want to assure you that you will most likely see things very differently in due time.

Seeker_Knight

SAID PERFECTLY!

MxMug