Cache types wanted

hello fellow geocachers. we are new to caching and are really enjoying the fun. we have placed one micro and want to place more caches. We have read that a majority of geocachers are not too fond of micros, or most micros.

What type of caches do you all want to see? We live in the Dover, Delaware area and want to place a few more. We did one not realizing that it was a common themed one. I have a few more micros but am holding off placing them. We have traditional cache containers that are not micros as well.

Any suggestions of what people want to hunt for or in general prefer would be appreciated.

thanks

Edited by powerscaching

hello fellow geocachers. we are new to caching and are really enjoying the fun. we have placed one micro and want to place more caches. We have read that a majority of geocachers are not too fond of micros, or most micros.

It isn't that we hate the micros. We dislike the way they are hidden, in my opinion. If they are hidden in challenging locations they would be better liked. We do not like the "just a lift up the skirt of a light post" kind of cache where waaaay tooooo many micros are hidden.

I would like caches that we search for to follow the same guidelines that we use when placing caches.

The cache must be an interesting/different/atypical hide.

or

The cache must be placed in an interesting location that you want to share with others.

The kids do not micros as much, but they don't dislike them. We hate it when people place caches just to have a cache. We dont do it for the smileys, we do it for the fun. Dont bring us to a lamp post unless it is at someplace really cool.

It isn't that we hate the micros. We dislike the way they are hidden, in my opinion. If they are hidden in challenging locations they would be better liked. We do not like the "just a lift up the skirt of a light post" kind of cache where waaaay tooooo many micros are hidden.

Thanks for the reply!!

I like caches with a purpose. Please don't hide a cache "just because there isn't one within 528 feet." Historical sites with lots of info about the area are my favorites.

Close second are honest-to-goodness puzzle caches. I don't generally like "mystery" caches that are just offset multis. The whole "start at this point, then walk 200 feet SW to find the cache," to me, isn't a "mystery" cache.

Next up are story caches. I love finding little bits of a story in a series of caches. It gets me motivated to find the rest of the series so I can find out how it ends!

My preferences aside, hide what you'd like to find! Get creative.

What type of caches do you all want to see? We live in the Dover, Delaware area and want to place a few more. We did one not realizing that it was a common themed one. I have a few more micros but am holding off placing them. We have traditional cache containers that are not micros as well.

I've cached in Dover multiple times, clearing out all of the caches down there. I hope to get back down there in the future. Dover surprised me as there are many historical places, objects, plaques, etc and very few of the caches down there actually point these out. I would suggest putting out off-set caches (multis) that take people to interesting historical spots (or interesting pieces of art, etc), putting the final elsewhere, elsewhere as there are other caches in Dover that can make it hard to put caches at the things you want to point out.

Relatively close to you that are good examples of caches like that (albeit a little more involved than necessary at times) are Tour of Historic Smyrna, History Hunting and Remember the Volunteers.

All I ask is for you to take me somewhere [historic, scenic, little known, out-of-the way, special to you, not trashy] and then tell me why you brought me there (put it in the description) outside of a cache. Any well thought out cache container that is weather resistant and fits the surroundings becomes welcome after that. I perfer containers that can hold a few trade items but the journey and destination are the main reasons I Geocache.

Any suggestions of what people want to hunt for or in general prefer would be appreciated.

thanks

It's not about the size, it's about the location. People will complain about "micros" but when you read between the lines it's not the size that is the reason for their complaint.

There have been hundreds of threads here over the years complaining about "lame micros", but I've never seen a (serious) thread complaining about regular sized caches in interesting places. So you want to your cache to be well received placing one of those practically guarantees it.

Edited by briansnat

We have read that a majority of geocachers are not too fond of micros, or most micros.

Clarification: A majority of geocachers who post in these forums are not too fond of most micros. Be careful of extrapolating this to the general population.

People who are perfectly happy finding micros probably aren't going to go through the trouble of starting repeated forum topics about how they are perfectly happy finding micros.

That said, ask yourself how you would enjoy the hide. What's unique about the spot? Would you want to share it with a good friend? If the answer is yes, and unless your friends are insane like most of mine, odds are the aforementioned "majority of geocachers" will enjoy your cache, regardless of size.

We have read that a majority of geocachers are not too fond of micros, or most micros.

Clarification: A majority of geocachers who post in these forums are not too fond of most micros. Be careful of extrapolating this to the general population.

People who are perfectly happy finding micros probably aren't going to go through the trouble of starting repeated forum topics about how they are perfectly happy finding micros.

That said, ask yourself how you would enjoy the hide. What's unique about the spot? Would you want to share it with a good friend? If the answer is yes, and unless your friends are insane like most of mine, odds are the aforementioned "majority of geocachers" will enjoy your cache, regardless of size.

Yes, be very, very careful extrapolating that to the general population. :) That micro in a random parking lot is going to get hit up by the overwhelming majority of active geocachers, and will get hit more often than that regular in a unique spot. Unless the regular is like 25 feet from parking or something.

I'll agree with what most of the others have said (so far that is, before Sbell111 gets here :D ), go with a unique spot that you think othher geocachers would find interesting.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. Lots of good advice here. We want to put caches out that people want to look for. Will take all of the advice and suggestions here and do our best to make the hunt fun and interesting.

Yes, be very, very careful extrapolating that to the general population. :) That micro in a random parking lot is going to get hit up by the overwhelming majority of active geocachers, and will get hit more often than that regular in a unique spot. Unless the regular is like 25 feet from parking or something.

I'll agree with what most of the others have said (so far that is, before Sbell111 gets here :D ), go with a unique spot that you think othher geocachers would find interesting.

I would like caches that we search for to follow the same guidelines that we use when placing caches.

The cache must be an interesting/different/atypical hide.

or

The cache must be placed in an interesting location that you want to share with others.

The kids do not micros as much, but they don't dislike them. We hate it when people place caches just to have a cache. We dont do it for the smileys, we do it for the fun. Dont bring us to a lamp post unless it is at someplace really cool.

If you are looking fo unique hides, then you might want to take a look at some of mine. My username is "greenworldfeather" minus the quotation marks. I will tell you how some of them are hidden if you like and what some of the containers are. I will only do that to people who are actually looking for ideas for really nice, challenging, and/or(preferrably "and") unique caches. One of my goals with geocaching is to get unique finds put out unique hides. It is really rewarding. Plus, with what I have, I haven't spent hardly any money on materials and containers and such because I have a couple of jobs that I do, plus my dad always comes home with containers full of herbal things to help us get better from our sicknesses. It helps a lot. Plus, there are plenty of containers left to choose from. I have only spent about thrity dollars on stuff so far. I only have one (1) bison tube out for people to find(it is a stage in a multi), no ammo cans used or about to be used, and I have yet to use any film containers. I am about to use one or two, but oh well. I have 9 hides and counting. I know, that isn't many, until you starttrying to find them. Most of them are in puzzle caches or multis, and some are in both. I try to make each hide unique, complete with its own unique puzzle or multi or something like that. I also try to make each container unique. Some are camo'ed, some have no need to be because they are are translucent and are usually green or something like that. I will only tell people who are out of the state of utah specifc details. Anyone else can look at the cache page and try to find them themselves if they live in utah. Sorry. it is just that I do not want to give away hints that are that big and then have a bunch of cachers find it within a shjort amount of time, mysteriously, when bfore hardly anyone could solve or find them. Some are hard, some are not. Some are in between. Anyway, if you want some ideas, just ask me. Thanks. gwf [:)][8D]

I do it for the smiley and the adventure. Hide whatever cache tickles your fancy. Just put some thought into it.

I agree.... I enjoy a nice walk in the woods or hills and finding a cache is an added bonus to a nice day out doors. Although I do enjoy seeing what other people have left in a cache I'm not really into collecting trinkets and loot. I'm strictly in it for the fun of the hunt. Something else to consider is that some of your caches will eventually turn up missing which is why I make my own from re-cycled containers to minimize costs. I'd say you should just pursue your own style of cache rather than copying someone else.

All I ask is for you to take me somewhere [historic, scenic, little known, out-of-the way, special to you, not trashy] and then tell me why you brought me there (put it in the description) outside of a cache. Any well thought out cache container that is weather resistant and fits the surroundings becomes welcome after that. I perfer containers that can hold a few trade items but the journey and destination are the main reasons I Geocache.
I agree. It's fun going to new cool places.

A cache hidden at a place I might want to visit, but wouldn't likely find on my own is the best.

Multis are cool because you can include several nearby locations at the same time.

I don't mind a micro (or even a nano!) if the location deserves a cache, but nothing bigger is likely to survive there.

A puzzle involving elements of the deserving location is also cool, but too many puzzles are just about the puzzle itself, with lame locations for the container. (I solved your puzzle for this?)

Caches hidden because the owner feels obligated to 'give back' usually suck (but not always).

Noticing a lamppost at Wallmart with no cache within 528' does NOT mean said lamppost is 'crying out' for a cache.

Creating an evilly camoed container, and then finding a lame place to hide it because it fits there definitely sucketh mightily. Creating a clever container specifically to fit in at a deserving location demonstrates your craftiness much more clearly.

DISCLAIMER: Some of the above is general observation, and not necessarily advice to the OP specifically.

That is so true.

I would suggest that you find a few and decide the type of cache you like to find and go hide some like that.