A way to host your collection online

ELTADA

I have been looking for the ideal way to put my trading/seeking/keeping lists online for others to view. I wanted it to have pictures and the way I was doing it (google docs) wasn't working like I wanted. I even borrowed Vanelle's source code (thank you for the idea!) from her table attached to an activated geocoin to try. But it doesn't allow enough characters to add pictures or a lot of html.

So...I discovered Google Sites. Tsun's post about the new Earth Turtle having their own google page led me to some research to realize that Google Sites would do exactly what I wanted. You can create a basic page to upload your lists and it is free. There are limitations but for my purposes, it was perfect. In fact, I can do the html coding offline and then cut and paste it all in...excellent!

It is a lot of work to scan the pictures of your collection, upload them all, find the correct names, link activated ones, etc. but it is a labour of love! Gives me another excuse to go through my collection! :D

If you are interested in what it looks like, click on the link in my signature below and it should take you right there for a peek. Let me know what you think. And if you want to set something up similar and need some guidance, let me know.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Thanks Geo.error!

ThaSaint: I am doing most of the html coding from scratch and then cutting and pasting but that isn't necessary if you don't know how to do it. Google gives you a basic template and all the tools to build your own site without knowing html. But because I know how to do a bit of website design, I prefer to customize everything myself rather than get locked into google's templates. I am not sure of all it's limitations in the "template mode" but I am sure it's pretty good.

If you have trouble with the table for instance, I can give you the code for that if you like.

Well I used to know html coding, its been about 5-7 years since ive probably used it. I never did anything serious, just basic sites for football pools & so on. But its been so long ive forgotten about 90% of it, lol. I think ill play around with this today since its snowing out.

Any reason you chose google sites instead of just flat out creating a basic page yourself on Angelfire or something like that?

Edited by Tha Saint

I have started doing something similar with my coin collection. I have been taking photos of my coins and looked for a while for a site that would let me create a photo album of my coin collection. And since I know next to nothing about coding, this is something that anyone can do. The format of the site allows you to view the pictures as thumnails or look at them full size and you can add whatever captions or descriptions you want. :D

My Coin Collection

Well I used to know html coding, its been about 5-7 years since ive probably used it. I never did anything serious, just basic sites for football pools & so on. But its been so long ive forgotten about 90% of it, lol. I think ill play around with this today since its snowing out.

Any reason you chose google sites instead of just flat out creating a basic page yourself on Angelfire or something like that?

Looked at your list today. It's growing........ :D I checked out the Google Sites and started a page of my own. Not quite sure what address to give you (I know not what I do); try NEFESHgeocacheworld. Let me know if you find it.

Edited by nefesh

Well, to be honest, I am NOT an html whiz. I use Dreamweaver and do a very tiny amount of html tinkering. So this helps to have the ability to quickly have a site structure already created and I can add pages very quickly and easily. There is a sidebar menu which is also helpful. I did not know of any free webspace and since I was already connected to google, this was ideal. Now when I log in, I can access my site and all my other google stuff from one page - it was convenient.

Tadpole379: your set up is very impressive! Had I seen that a week ago, I might have shadowed your idea. Very nice! And a wonderful collection I might add!

Perhaps others will post their new and creative ways to host their collection...especially those with the ability to handle pictures?

I have been looking for the ideal way to put my trading/seeking/keeping lists online for others to view. I wanted it to have pictures and the way I was doing it (google docs) wasn't working like I wanted. I even borrowed Vanelle's source code (thank you for the idea!) from her table attached to an activated geocoin to try. But it doesn't allow enough characters to add pictures or a lot of html.

So...I discovered Google Sites. Tsun's post about the new Earth Turtle having their own google page led me to some research to realize that Google Sites would do exactly what I wanted. You can create a basic page to upload your lists and it is free. There are limitations but for my purposes, it was perfect. In fact, I can do the html coding offline and then cut and paste it all in...excellent!

It is a lot of work to scan the pictures of your collection, upload them all, find the correct names, link activated ones, etc. but it is a labour of love! Gives me another excuse to go through my collection! :D

If you are interested in what it looks like, click on the link in my signature below and it should take you right there for a peek. Let me know what you think. And if you want to set something up similar and need some guidance, let me know.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Started a page of my own at this site. Thank's Eltada. PROBLEM: what is my URL there and how do I get it linked on my sig? :D

Are you doing all the html coding from scratch or does google setup a page layout for you?

So I didnt really understand all the google templates, seemed a bit annoying. So I went and made a quicky site on Angelfire for my coins. Its still a work in progress & all my keepers/traders are not listed yet, but its a start. Let me know what you think.

Link Trade/Seek

Edited by Tha Saint

I have started doing something similar with my coin collection. I have been taking photos of my coins and looked for a while for a site that would let me create a photo album of my coin collection. And since I know next to nothing about coding, this is something that anyone can do. The format of the site allows you to view the pictures as thumnails or look at them full size and you can add whatever captions or descriptions you want. :D

My Coin Collection

Visited your coin site. All I can say is WOW!

Edited by nefesh

Thanks Eltada for sharing this and offering your help to others. I like your site very much. I have wanted to do something like this but didn't know where or how to start.

I am kind of like The Saint in that I took a class in html several years ago and did some basic web pages but haven't used it since.

Also I took a look at tadpole379's site, I really like it too. Thanks to you both for sharing your ideas with us newbies.

Well done ELTADA! You've done quite a bit of work on this, I can tell. I believe you when you say that scanning and uploading all your own images is taking a lot of time -- that's the main reason I haven't done something similar myself.

But I've been thinking of doing my own online coin database for some time now. You have inspired me to go beyond the stage of scribbling notes on paper to doing some actual code.

I'm not hoping to be competition for cointracking or geocoincollection -- in fact, I plan to offer the service for free. I just want to have a site that has all the features I like from both of the others, plus a few that I have thought of myself.

• another 'status' type: travelling - so you can add your travelling coins to your collection
  • an 'activated' checkbox
  • extended comment fields/hidden comment fields - you can add as much or as little comments as you want on each coin. you can also specify that a comment is public or private (ie. just a note to yourself)
  • a custom sort field - you enter the field name and the possible values. you can then choose to sort your collection on this field rather than simply alphabetically
  • photo gallery - you are not limited to just one photo per coin. you can upload separate front and back pics, icons, close ups on detail, edge photo, etc.
  • a photo rating system so that the best uploaded photo of a coin (as voted by users) becomes the default photo for that coin (front and back pics only).
  • a 'wish list' feature - this will be different from a 'seeking' list, in that only a select few coins can be added (maybe 10). anybody who owns a coin you have on your wish list will see an icon beside it on their own list. This will hopefully stimulate more trades. Of course, coin owners can opt not to see the wish list icons.
  • email notification - based on the 'wish list', you will be notified if someone adds one of the coins on your wish list to their 'traders' list

But don't expect this to be finished overnight! You had better keep going with your Google Site, because this is going to take awhile! :D

Thanks for inspiring a few of us into doing something we had thought about for a while :D , I've started on a google page as well and boy I've been at it for most of the afternoon but I figure I'll be able to add on pictures, video etc. later on and I'm no web designer (can barely draw a straight line too :D ) when done I'd like to add it to the bottom of these posts, so the question is do I use the "insert link" link also if I may how does one add those clever often inspireing sayings on the bottom of these posts.

Thanks again and ur right adding those picks for the coins sure is time consuming.

Thanks for inspiring a few of us into doing something we had thought about for a while :D , I've started on a google page as well and boy I've been at it for most of the afternoon but I figure I'll be able to add on pictures, video etc. later on and I'm no web designer (can barely draw a straight line too :D ) when done I'd like to add it to the bottom of these posts, so the question is do I use the "insert link" link also if I may how does one add those clever often inspireing sayings on the bottom of these posts.

Thanks again and ur right adding those picks for the coins sure is time consuming.

Agreed, thanks for the motivation to do this. I just got back from the gym & I finished uploading the pics to my site. Its not that hard for me since I only have a very small collection. Its not the greatest coin page out there, but its alot better than what I was using for my list.

Feel free to comment or critique

Link Coin Page

Agreed, thanks for the motivation to do this. I just got back from the gym & I finished uploading the pics to my site. Its not that hard for me since I only have a very small collection. Its not the greatest coin page out there, but its alot better than what I was using for my list.

Link Coin Page

Too much advertising for me.

I also made a site with pictures of all my keepers, but fell behind on taking pictures so it's not up to date anymore...

See what I came up with here

(have the cursor over the picture to see the coin name)

Smort78: looks great. You have an amazing set of coins!

Link Coin Page

Too much advertising for me.

Try the google page, no advertising, nice and clean pick your own backround from their templates, then I used the tables and added pictures and name of coins. Must admit Smort78 has a great page as well.

I discovered Google Sites a couple days ago. I created a site but haven't had time yet to play with it much. I'd like to do two lists - Keepers & Traders with thumbnail pictures. Not exactly sure how to do this yet but I have some ideas. If anyone knows the html coding for this I'd be ever so grateful. :D

CF30

Well done ELTADA! You've done quite a bit of work on this, I can tell. I believe you when you say that scanning and uploading all your own images is taking a lot of time -- that's the main reason I haven't done something similar myself.

But I've been thinking of doing my own online coin database for some time now. You have inspired me to go beyond the stage of scribbling notes on paper to doing some actual code.

I'm not hoping to be competition for cointracking or geocoincollection -- in fact, I plan to offer the service for free. I just want to have a site that has all the features I like from both of the others, plus a few that I have thought of myself.

• another 'status' type: travelling - so you can add your travelling coins to your collection
  • extended comment fields/hidden comment fields - you can add as much or as little comments as you want on each coin. you can also specify that a comment is public or private (ie. just a note to yourself)
  • a custom sort field - you enter the field name and the possible values. you can then choose to sort your collection on this field rather than simply alphabetically
  • photo gallery - you are not limited to just one photo per coin. you can upload separate front and back pics, icons, close ups on detail, edge photo, etc.
  • a photo rating system so that the best uploaded photo of a coin (as voted by users) becomes the default photo for that coin (front and back pics only).
  • a 'wish list' feature - this will be different from a 'seeking' list, in that only a select few coins can be added (maybe 10). anybody who owns a coin you have on your wish list will see an icon beside it on their own list. This will hopefully stimulate more trades. Of course, coin owners can opt not to see the wish list icons.
  • email notification - based on the 'wish list', you will be notified if someone adds one of the coins on your wish list to their 'traders' list

But don't expect this to be finished overnight! You had better keep going with your Google Site, because this is going to take awhile! :D

I remember you talking about this once before (briefly) and thought it would be good to have another alternative out there. The list of additional features are fantastic!! I am on your beta-testing list right?? :D:D

Link Coin Page

Some of your pictures are very good - I like the black background. I would have to say that if I would change one thing, it would be the size of the font on your page. It is quite small and gets overpowered by the advertising (especially since the ads are white and pop off your black background).

I have updated my collection site to match my blog (colour wise) and have most of my pictures up on it now. I am really liking it!

Also, someone emailed me for help in starting a list using Google Sites. I have put together a (very) basic set of instructions for creating a site. If you would like a copy, just email me through my profile.

But don't expect this to be finished overnight! You had better keep going with your Google Site, because this is going to take awhile! <_<

That sounds like a great idea!

How about a tagging system for people who want to categorize their collection into sub-collections? For example, I have a primarily dragon geocoin collection, but some coins in that collection fall into the phoenix collection, which itself is comprised mostly of a the Phoenix Series group. Then for others there are all the dragonflies, earth turtles, and tranquillities, many of which would go into a nature category as well, etc.

I have a php/mysql-based geocoin gallery system designed on the backs of papers too, but have a couple ongoing website projects taking up all my time. It's amazing that you're developing a free service like that in your spare time. Go you!

But don't expect this to be finished overnight! You had better keep going with your Google Site, because this is going to take awhile! :)

That sounds like a great idea!

How about a tagging system for people who want to categorize their collection into sub-collections? For example, I have a primarily dragon geocoin collection, but some coins in that collection fall into the phoenix collection, which itself is comprised mostly of a the Phoenix Series group. Then for others there are all the dragonflies, earth turtles, and tranquillities, many of which would go into a nature category as well, etc.

I have a php/mysql-based geocoin gallery system designed on the backs of papers too, but have a couple ongoing website projects taking up all my time. It's amazing that you're developing a free service like that in your spare time. Go you!

I've been actually meaning to start a project like this for a while. I was going to have it be a very advanced geocoin gallery and trading system. For example there would be a built in trade manager where you could create trades all through the site's interface. Maybe some day this will turn into a reality.

well id like to thank this thread for pushing me over the edge,, a while ago i found out that i had 1 gig of webspace with my provider,, i started a webpage but never took a huge intrest as i never had much to publish,, now i have almost a hole site set up and running. and am working my djing into it too.. should turn out good,, i know no html so it makes it a lil restricted and i know of nothing as dreamwever. but ill post the addy here in the next day or 2 and see what you all think!! thx for this thread!!!1 :)