Moderators and reviews

Savoy

Find a local cache, they click "View All Logs" and then at the bottom, there is a log with a green circle, that username next to it is a local reviewer.
Well, that'll give you the name of one reviewer, that was the reviewer for your area when the cache was published.

To answer your question, no, there's no list. It's been asked for before several times but apparently a list like that would change so often it would be too much trouble to keep up with. New reviewers are added often, some existing reviewers quit, and this causes the area covered by any one reviewer to change.

If you have an issue that you want to discuss with a local reviewer, look at the reviewer as pointed out by Caching Scout above and send them an email, if they're not the current local reviewer I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. But if you need a list of all the reviewers and the area each one reviews caches for, there's not one.

Your cache reviewer for Brazil is garri. As noted, there's no list of cache reviewers because it's a constantly changing jigsaw puzzle. The forum moderator team is smaller and you can see a list linked at the bottom of the forum index page. The mods for individual forum sections are also listed next to the forum name in the main index view.

Edited by Keystone

Thanks for the info... I was hoping there was a list of reviewers so I could see who was taking care of Brazil. I knew about the 'fishing' around for your area reviewer method already, but thanks for the confirmation that there isn't another way.

We've been waiting since about the 24th (this is the 1st) for reviews on two caches:

GC1N2BC

GC1N2CV

and I know of one event cache (by another person) that we hoped to see published. Our reviewer is covering three countries (I think) - he has logged in and published other caches in Spain and Portugal, but we are still waiting here in Brazil.

If we've done something wrong or I (or Brazil) are 'on the outs' with cg.com/reviwers, then someone please let me (us) know.

The reviewer never emails back (this isn't the first time something like this has come up here) so the 'just email them a message' method doesn't seem to work.

I emailed Groundspeak day before yesterday asking if they would get at least a 'backup' reviewer that lives at least on our continent (country would be better) to help so there isn't this long delay. There hasn't been a reply back from them yet either.

SO, all that to say... we are beginning to develop a community here, but its hard when you feel so low on the gc.com/reviewer totem pole. "Please Sir, may we have some more caches?" - said in Portuguese of course :o

Advice on dealing with this - anyone in a similar boat?

Edited by Savoy

This is really getting frustrating... the reviewer is publishing Portugal and Spain, but not Brazil. There are caches that were put out and published today (1-MAR) in Spain, and we've been waiting since around 24-FEB for a couple of caches and an event in Brazil.

I'd be happy with, "I'm busy and am taking care of 'my own' first..." but we're getting nothing.

Nothing from GS or the reviewer.

Are you sure that you activated your cache?

Did the reviewer post any notes asking you for more information?

Anything else like that?

Yep, its been activated, and no notes whatsoever.

I've placed 40 other caches.... this is the first time something like this has happened to me.

As of this morning (2-MAR), nothing new.

I've emailed three times to be sure that I didn't miss anything, but I've yet to get a response from those as well.

- Sav

Garri, is a very conscious reviewer... he like to check every detail of a new cache listing, verifying if there are any commercial reference, any descripancy, etc. Sometimes he checks on charts and maps of the places, when he cannot go check on place.

Try to give him the full detail of your cache.

Hummm, he understands portuguese, but he is catalan in fact; so write in spanish or english to avoid any missunderstandings.

Sometimes he checks on charts and maps of the places, when he cannot go check on place.

Reviewers do not go out and physically check cache placements.

Lluis Garrido (Garri, a friend of mine) does it, several times!

Some caches have been published only after he found them.

PS: That doesnt mean its mandatory to do so... I never said that, Al!

I simply gave my opinion about a particular reviewer... the one that approves brazilian caches, as long as portuguese and spanish, because it happens that I know him personally. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by ruidealmeida

Personally visiting a cache site is not part of the review process.

From the Guidelines: Before a cache is published on the website, a volunteer will review the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and compliance with these guidelines. The physical cache site is not verified. As the cache owner, you are responsible for the placement and care of your cache.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Savoy.

Your two caches (and your friends event) are currently in the queue waiting for a formal review.

Please be patient (insert hold music here)..

I can appreciate that... really, and I don't mind a wait for a thoughtful review. BUT, I'm not receiving ANY type of feed back, even to my email (all in English).

A simple reviewer's note saying that there was some flag that triggered a formal review, or a suggestion, or just 'hey I'm busy, please wait' would work. Also, the other caches from Brazil that are waiting (like the event cache) - are a bit harder to understand why they were waiting so long, while other caches in outside of Brazil where get approved each day.

As of today 3-MAR I'm still waiting to hear 'anything'.

In NOVember we posted a few caches that needed to be archived due to safety or that they had been stolen. The cacher that placed it had only one (1) find and no longer was active on the site... after waiting until FEB. in NOT hearing from the reviewer and the owner to archive the caches so we could replace them with newer, safer, and muggle-resistant caches, we just posted notes to the caches - we replaced them, re-hid them, and hope that future cachers will notice the note! (Not clean, but better then what was there).

My question is why could they not simply be archived, so we could place 'replacement' caches following the actual guidelines of GC.com?

I was just as frustrating to wait for a non-responsive reviewer in those cases, as it was now.

I'm sure, and from what I hear, this particular reviewer is a VERY nice guy and VERY faithful in doing his responsibilities BUT we are not feeling it here in Brazil - there must be an other reason then.

My simply suggestion was to get this guys some local (in country) help!!

Our first event cache is scheduled for 21-MAR (seems quick to non-Brazilians but that is still a good date for us), it is taking about a week now, to get that approved!

Anyway, listening.

Savoy n Rio <_<

Well, they were published today (4-MAR)... but no notes and no replies to my messages as to what the delay was, or tips on what I could do better (if anything) next time.

To this day, I'm not sure what was happened with the cache.

I'm helping my friend rewrite the event cache - it was his first time, so it will be approved. He got his first feedback yesterday night.

Yep... good advice all.

After this I'm going to stop my whining, but :)

it would have been nice to hear something as to why there was such a long delay, or if there was something I could have done better/different/slimmer/whatever, that make the process smoother. 24-FEB to 4-MAR is a long time to hear nothing, esp. with several direct emails put out.

This was cache 41 and 42 for me to put out, but the first time that I've felt such a 'cold shoulder' communication-wize. I'm just going to count my blessings on my luck placing these so far, and hope someday the reviews will start talking to me.

(I'm happy to try and speak English, Chinese, and Portuguese)

I'm now on my second week of waiting for cache GC1PM2Z...

seems that Brazil is still at the bottom of the reviewer's list.

SEVERAL SEVERAL younger caches in Spain and Portugal are getting two-three day turn around from the same reviewer.

- Savoy

After this I'm going to stop my whining

That didn't last long. <_<

Exactly the type of constructive, helpful, supportive comment Geocachers living in Brazil have come to expect and are trying to learn to love.

When you only have 20 or so caches with 30 km or so AND none for the next 150 km... waiting two weeks for a new cache to come out seems a lot longer than when you are surrounded by hundreds or even thousands within the same area in the US.

The other thing to remember about South Americans (esp. Brazilians) as is all about the relationships. Even a, "hey we know your out there but its gong to be a while before we will get you a reviewer in-country" reply to the PM or the to submission would help make the wait a bit more understandable for us.

- Savoy

Edited by Savoy

The other thing to remember about South Americans (esp. Brazilians) as is all about the relationships. Even a, "hey we know your out there but its gong to be a while before we will get you a reviewer in-country" reply to the PM or the to submission would help make the wait a bit more understandable for us.

- Savoy

Hmm, having to wait so long without any feedback is frustrating. I've never placed a cache, but there have been several times in other areas of my life that I've had to run something past someone else before it was official, and any delay without reason causes problems for me. So I understand what you've probably been going through.

I'm not anyone important or anything, but since reviewers are volunteers it seems to me that Groundspeak can't really just contact someone in your area and tell them to be a reviewer. Someone needs to step up and tell GS that they want to help out that way. Perhaps you can talk to some of your geocaching friends down there and see if anyone wants to volunteer? I'm not sure of the protocols Groundspeak uses when choosing reviewers, but it seems like a good place to start.

I am guessing either that, or wait for the current reviewer to get around to you. Of course there may be a reason he seems to be slow with you guys, but I wouldn't try to guess what it might be.

Happy caching!

After this I'm going to stop my whining

That didn't last long. <_<

Exactly the type of constructive, helpful, supportive comment Geocachers living in Brazil have come to expect and are trying to learn to love.

When you only have 20 or so caches with 30 km or so AND none for the next 150 km... waiting two weeks for a new cache to come out seems a lot longer than when you are surrounded by hundreds or even thousands within the same area in the US.

- Savoy

My sense in reading this thread is there is more to the story than what has been disclosed so far. Have you contacted GS to air your frustrations? Have you contacted your local reviewer(s) recently and asked for updates? Try being positive and proactive with the people who can make a difference.

...Someone needs to step up and tell GS that they want to help out that way. Perhaps you can talk to some of your geocaching friends down there and see if anyone wants to volunteer? I'm not sure of the protocols Groundspeak uses when choosing reviewers, but it seems like a good place to start...

Good idea... we tried that one, and response was a link back to the FAQ regarding "how to become a reviewer" which the short version (paraphrased my me :unsure: ) is, "we'll contact you if we are interested in your help." I and others here in Brazil, have asked to send a short list of people willing to be even just 'back up' reviewers for the Brazil caches.

We don't have a local reviewer in - country. Our caches are reviewed by a very nice, but VERY busy reviewer in Europe who's practice seems to be to clear the Brazil caches every 10-14 days.

He and GS don't respond to emails where we've asked to help out or when we've asked what we can do to make things better for us.

I'm take a family on a hike tomorrow along with mine... and guess what the 'boys' want to try doing.

The spirit of this thread is, that we are wanting and trying to build a community of geocachers here, but its hard to feel like you are a part of the GC community when we don't feel like we are being as included - at least as much as others.

As to the point of the next post... we're feeling the same thing, but no one (GS or the reviewer) is telling us what that might be. We are certainly willing to do whatever we need to do to... but I've been geocaching on three continents now, and this is the first time I've experience this type of 'cold shoulder' - thats as least how it feels.

Brazil and Brasilian's are wonderful, active and relational people. Its hard for me to explain or defend what it looks like is happening here to them.

- Sav

Just an update...

2 weeks and still no word on this cache approval... nothing from the reviewer (not been reviewed yet - I've send a couple of nice notes), and nothing from GS (two notes sent) on getting help the reviewer.

I was worried that the Reviewer was sick or had an accident, but as it turns out... they been publishing caches in Spain and Portugal consistently through out the two week period we've been waiting.

- Savoy

Edited by Savoy

I've been following this thread with interest. I've read your informative and (to my mind) reasonable posts.

I looked in the Groundspeak knowledgebase and found "Publication of caches"... As you say it's now been two weeks wait on this particular cache, without contact from a reviewer, I think it's time to follow this instruction and email contact@geocaching.com

"If your cache is still not listed after a week, please send word to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. Be sure to include the GC# or a URL for the cache to expedite the process."

Good Luck.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I've been following this thread with interest. I've read your informative and (to my mind) reasonable posts.

I looked in the Groundspeak knowledgebase and found "Publication of caches"... As you say it's now been two weeks wait on this particular cache, without contact from a reviewer, I think it's time to follow this instruction and email contact@geocaching.com

"If your cache is still not listed after a week, please send word to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. Be sure to include the GC# or a URL for the cache to expedite the process."

Good Luck.

MrsB

I concur that the OP has been extremely patient in this thread. I cannot understand why Groundspeak has apparently not intervened by now. Two weeks without any feedback from the reviewer is way out of line, if that is true.

Update! and good news.

Well, my cache GC1PM2Z got published today by a very nice reviewer from Mexico who says he'll be trying to help us out in Brazil.

I never heard what (if any) problem there was with it, me, or the system so the 'hold up' is still a mystery.

I really appreciated the help (for all of us in Brazil)... I'm meeting some new geocaching friends in from out of the country, and have one more cool (I think) cache to recommend!

Take care! Savoy

Thank you for your patience, Savoy.

The reviewer team is very happy to welcome mixtli to our group. He is just getting started, and it's a lot harder when you're brand new and still learning your way around. In the long term, I think you will be very happy that Central and South America now has their own dedicated reviewer. It is great to see geocaching growing in so many new areas. The team is doing our best to keep up!