Making Your First Geocache - 35mm Container

Headhardhat

I woke up this morning with about ten different ideas for what I wanted to do for my next GeoSnippits Tutorial Video. I reached over and started reading my emails via my blackberry phone. Isn't technology wonderful?

One of the first was an email from a very fine grandfather known as obxnomad a.k.a. Bob.

He mentioned how his grandson and he loved watching GeoSnippits and reading my blog. He also mentioned how it would be great if I made a tutorial on how to put together and place a geocache. It took me about half a second to think of how I would do it and what a great suggestion that it was. Needless to say thanks to Bob our latest and greatest GeoSnippits is now live on youtube.

Here it is:

I liked the idea so much that I have decided to do an entire series based on the viewpoint of putting out each size of geocache for the first time. In this video we concentrate on 35mm containers. We show how to cammi them up and some great suggestions on where to hide them in the wild. The next video will be on the small size but instead of concentrating more on the making of the geocache (which we will go over) but instead we will focus on finding good places to hide that size geocache. As we progress up through the sizes you will gain more and more information until you are a well informed geocacher.

You can look forward to the future episodes in the weeks to come. Keep checking on our GeoSnippits website at http://www.geosnippits.com, my blog or on youtube.

Well done video.

Only two comments:

- You should have mentioned that you don't have to actually purchase 35-mm film to get the containers. Just go to any place that processes film and ask if you can have any of the empties

- You should have mentioned that 35-mm containers leak like seives. If they aren't placed in a protected location (like under a lamp post skirt, or under that cut log, or in a desert) the log WILL get wet. Plastic bags sometimes work for a few months but will eventually leak as well.

No 35mm film can I know of makes a suitable Geocache container. Too many wet soggy logs.

Better to get something with an o-ring like the match containers in the camping section at Wal-Mart.

Agreed. I have rarely found a dry logbook in a film canister and think their use should be discouraged.

Very nice job with the video though. I like that you stressed that hiders should look for a nice location instead of just anywhere.

Edited by briansnat
If they aren't placed in a protected location (like under a lamp post skirt, or under that cut log, or in a desert) the log WILL get wet. Plastic bags sometimes work for a few months but will eventually leak as well.

I've found plenty of lamp post caches which were damp or completely soaked. It's not as protected a location as it seems.

Thanks for all the nice comments by the way... I totally agree with the problem of wet log books. I actually had a segment that included the idea of getting them for free from nearby drug stores and the plastic baggie that sometime helps more than others. Unfortunately they ended up on the digital cutting room floor to cut down the length. Will gett'm next time.

-HHH :yikes:

Edited by Headhardhat
Agreed. I have rarely found a dry logbook in a film canister and think their use should be discouraged.

Perhaps there can be a page about cache containers in Groundspeak? Or a sticky somewhere? I'm planning for my first cache placement, and I would have used a film canister if I haven't read so many negative things about it here.

Perhaps there can be a page about cache containers in Groundspeak? Or a sticky somewhere? I'm planning for my first cache placement, and I would have used a film canister if I haven't read so many negative things about it here.

The best container is an ammo can, the second best is a lock'n'lock. lock'n'locks come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Walmarts around here carry l'n'ls, also check Asian food stores, they some times carry a nice selection. For micros the best is probably a bison tube that has a sturdy o-ring seal. Everything else leaks. Surprisingly even water bottles leak.

Jim

Thank you hardhat for all the videos you have put out. My brothers and I really appreciate them :) . We also saw you are a Tigers fan cool :unsure: .

Cachensfun

Except for the past year and a half I lived my whole life in Michigan (New Baltimore, Ann Arbor, Dexter).

Always have been a Tigers fan. Lions, welllllll, not so much. Now that they are starting from scratch who knows but you do know what they say... 'Nother Rebuild Year ;)

Thanks for the kind words and many,many,many more GeoSnippits to come..

-HHH B)

Thank you hardhat for all the videos you have put out. My brothers and I really appreciate them :) . We also saw you are a Tigers fan cool :unsure: .

Cachensfun

Except for the past year and a half I lived my whole life in Michigan (New Baltimore, Ann Arbor, Dexter).

-HHH ;)

Will wonders never cease? Until we relocated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula we lived in Marine City and I worked out of a construction office located in New Baltimore.

Decon containers are great too! :unsure:

They leak.

Jim

I stopped using decon containers years ago because I was sick of replacing wet logbooks. People don't cose them correctly and they leak. They often leak even when they are closed correctly. In fact we found a decon Saturday, contents soaked. They are no better than film canisters.

I've found that the best "micro" cache container are those waterproof match containers:

coghlans_waterproof_match_case.gif

I've placed many and found many and they are less likely to leak than an "un-gasketed" film canister.

EDIT: Thanks to HHH for the videos just the same. I really appreciate caching videos!!! :unsure:

Edited by geojibby