Two Oregon questions

Yet another question regarding geocaching with an Oregon 300. When I download cache info I naturally get the coordinates as well. Now, should these be fake ones, how do I change them to the true coordinates. This applies for example to mystery caches

PS. Got the Oregon yesterday and so far it's brilliant!

No way to change the geocache coordinates on the unit itself. The easiest thing to do is save the geocache as a waypoint and edit the coordinates of the waypoint.

Hmmm.. so at least ONE thing my trusty old Venture did better. I really enjoyed the idea of dl'ing cache info in gpx format... didn't expect to have TWO waypoints to work with instead of one. :(

If you use GSAK you can change the coordinates through the Waypoint/corrected coordinates feature and that will lock it in. Then you use GSAK to load the caches.

Now that would be possible indeed.. but only if I wanted to get rid of more hard earned money to get GSAK.... :(

GSAK is the best investment you will ever make. It does everything but find the cache for you.

You can still load your geocaches as waypoints just like you did with your Venture. You will also have limited info and a 1000 waypoint limit just like your Venture. It’s your choice. As stated almost daily on this forum, you can find the answers to almost any Oregon question on the Oregon FAQ. The links to many valuable FAQ's is pinned at the top of the GPS and Technology forum.

You can still load your geocaches as waypoints just like you did with your Venture. You will also have limited info and a 1000 waypoint limit just like your Venture. It’s your choice. As stated almost daily on this forum, you can find the answers to almost any Oregon question on the Oregon FAQ. The links to many valuable FAQ's is pinned at the top of the GPS and Technology forum.

Actually the Oregon holds 2,000 caches or 200 GPX files whichever comes first.

If you use GSAK you can change the coordinates through the Waypoint/corrected coordinates feature and that will lock it in. Then you use GSAK to load the caches.

Now that would be possible indeed.. but only if I wanted to get rid of more hard earned money to get GSAK.... :(

GSAK is the best investment you will ever make. It does everything but find the cache for you.

Not having GSAK to complement your caching device is like trying to play golf with a baseball bat.

(was that a good analogy? )

Not having GSAK to complement your caching device is like trying to play golf with a baseball bat.

Hmmm ... don't quite understand that! I don't use GSAK and I really don't see a need for it. I load my GPX files directly to my Oregon 300 and away I go. I downloaded GSAK a few years back but it was very confusing to use. Not sure why I would need it anyway.

JetSkier

Hmmm ... don't quite understand that! I don't use GSAK and I really don't see a need for it. I load my GPX files directly to my Oregon 300 and away I go. I downloaded GSAK a few years back but it was very confusing to use. Not sure why I would need it anyway.

JetSkier

I use GSAK for EVERYTHING.

- Keeping a record of solved puzzles for when I get around to finding them.

- Maintaining an offline data base for when the PQ's don't show up. AND they often don't show up.

- Maintaining a list of found caches with descriptions of where the cache is hidden or how I solved the puzzle so when friends ask for help I can give it.

- Selecting a list of caches for a trip. Less important with my OR and its ability to hold 2000.

- Sending 2000 caches to my OR with the child waypoints as POI's so they don't clutter up or exceed the 1000 limit waypoint list. AND so that child waypoints have a meaningful name instead of A34BPK etc.

- Analyzing my Found stats

- Planning a caching trip with a friend and identifying which caches neither of us has found.

- ETC ETC ETC.

I am sure I will get a response that says none of the above is important to someone. Good for them. But I still say GSAK is the icing on the geocaching cake.

Isn't that how everybody plays golf?? Helps keep the ball going straight.

That's fine for you PC users but what about those of us that use a Mac computer and GSAK is not available to us?

At least Garmin has seen the light and is supporting the Mac now.

That's fine for you PC users but what about those of us that use a Mac computer and GSAK is not available to us?

Can you run Windoz in some kind of virtual machine on a Mac?

ETA

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

One of my caching pals wanted me to get an old laptop working for her just so she could use GSAK.

Still waiting for her to give it to me.

Edited by hallycat

Finally after close to 30 years, Windows has a leg up on Apple.

- Maintaining an offline data base for when the PQ's don't show up. AND they often don't show up.

- Maintaining a list of found caches with descriptions of where the cache is hidden or how I solved the puzzle so when friends ask for help I can give it.

- Selecting a list of caches for a trip. Less important with my OR and its ability to hold 2000.

- Sending 2000 caches to my OR with the child waypoints as POI's so they don't clutter up or exceed the 1000 limit waypoint list. AND so that child waypoints have a meaningful name instead of A34BPK etc.

- Planning a caching trip with a friend and identifying which caches neither of us has found.

- ETC ETC ETC.

I am sure I will get a response that says none of the above is important to someone. Good for them. But I still say GSAK is the icing on the geocaching cake.

Actually, none of those are important to me, but that's ok. I was just responding to the quote made by hallycat. You may not be able to play golf with a baseball bat, but you can certainly geocache without GSAK! I personally don't need to massage my PQ data before I put it on my Oregon, so GSAK is not a good fit for me ... that's all I'm saying.

JetSkier

- ETC ETC ETC.

Actually, none of those are important to me, but that's ok. I was just responding to the quote made by hallycat. You may not be able to play golf with a baseball bat, but you can certainly geocache without GSAK! I personally don't need to massage my PQ data before I put it on my Oregon, so GSAK is not a good fit for me ... that's all I'm saying.

JetSkier

But you COULD play golf with a baseball bat. It just isn't the best tool. Groundspeak does a great job and lots of folks make do without GSAK. We all play the game the way we want and if it's ok with you then it's fine with me too.

- ETC ETC ETC.

JetSkier

But you COULD play golf with a baseball bat. It just isn't the best tool. Groundspeak does a great job and lots of folks make do without GSAK. We all play the game the way we want and if it's ok with you then it's fine with me too.

I just think it was a bad analogy. I think it would almost impossible to complete a round of golf with a baseball bat, not to mention that you certainly wouldn't beat anyone, but you would have not problem completing a day of geocaching without GSAK. AND, your changes of winning (if that makes sense in this game) would be just as good as the persion using GSAK.

JetSkier

Yes the Oregon does hold 2000 geocaches loaded as “geocaches”. I was referring to loading geocaches as “waypoints”. You can only load 1000 geocaches as “waypoints". You can also load an unlimited number of geocaches as “POI’s” (only limit is available memory).

Wow has this post been high jacked or what?

Yes the Oregon does hold 2000 geocaches loaded as “geocaches”. I was referring to loading geocaches as “waypoints”. You can only load 1000 geocaches as “waypoints". You can also load an unlimited number of geocaches as “POI’s” (only limit is available memory).

Wow has this post been high jacked or what?

One of the really nice features of GSAK is that it allows you to load the child waypoints for those 2000 geocaches as POI's. This does two things. First, it doesn't consume any part of the 1000 waypoint limit. And second it allows you to use smart names for the child waypoints making if much simpler to associate a child waypoint with a particular cache.

Now that would be possible indeed.. but only if I wanted to get rid of more hard earned money to get GSAK.... :)

JetSkier

- ETC ETC ETC.

Well, since I was the one starting all this GSAK discussion (boo hiss) I want to clarify MY point of view. When downloading a gpx file containing the coords to a mystery cache, which in reality is in a completely different location, makes things a little tricky. You have a set place with all the info but - it's not where it should be. Now, I can't see the point in me having to set up yet another entry to correct for the first ones shortcomings or to have to buy a separate program to fix it... one of the major reasons for me to get the Oregon in the first place WAS to get the gpx files with all the info and not the short, truncated ones.

Have to say that I can't understand why it shouldn't be possible to change the coordinates after dl'ing the gpx file since that's just what I can do with the waypoint files dl'd to my Venture.

Edited by Blue_Suede

Have to say that I can't understand why it shouldn't be possible to change the coordinates after dl'ing the gpx file since that's just what I can do with the waypoint files dl'd to my Venture.

It's pretty easy to change the coordinates of a Geocache downloaded through a gpx file. All you have to do is bring up the description page for that cache and press the button at the bottom of a flag overtop of an X. That will create a waypoint using those coordinates. Then you can easily modify it from the Waypoints manager. Granted it's a few extra steps, but with touchscreen, it doesn't take long.

JetSkier

It's pretty easy to change the coordinates of a Geocache downloaded through a gpx file. All you have to do is bring up the description page for that cache and press the button at the bottom of a flag overtop of an X. That will create a waypoint using those coordinates. Then you can easily modify it from the Waypoints manager. Granted it's a few extra steps, but with touchscreen, it doesn't take long.

JetSkier

I agree completely. It is much simpler to add waypoints in the Oregon than it is to change them in the 60CSx. Although they could have made it easier, it is still much faster using the Oregon. I really don't think this is anything but a very minor issue.

As to GSAK. I'm a huge fan of GSAK. However, since I got my Oregon in August, I have not used it. I do see some reasons to use it, and I know I will need it in the future. Right now, this great program sits idle. I would not use it just to change waypoint coords., but that's my feelings. YMMV.

JetSkier

Now THERE ya go! Just what i wanted. Well, almost anyway. Guess I can't get any closer to editing the "real thing" so it'll do. Thanks all for your help.

Snowy greetings from Sweden