Do you like hiding or finding best?

MoussiferRex

My husband and I are somewhat new cacher, having been at it for almost a year now. We enjoy the game very much. One thing that both of us have discovered, though, is that we like hiding the caches a bit more than we like hunting and finding caches. For myself, I really enjoy the detailed logs that I sometimes get and the pics people post in my cache's galleries.

Our statistics kind of say it all; we've found 74 and hidden 8. Additionally, we just bought some super tubes and nanos to up our hides. We are also planning a cache-a-thon searching/finding trip with friends to up our "find" numbers. Don't want to get too lopsided. :)

All that being said, my question to you all is: Do you like finding or hiding best, or maybe like them both equally? Also, is it considered bad form to hide more than find?

I am definitely in it to "hide."

In my personal year 1BC (Before Geocaching) I set about making a "National Treasure" style treasure hunt for my two daughters. I had a blast creating it because it let me combine several of my hobbies; writing, puzzles, electronics. While doing research for the hunt, I stumbled on Geocaching and discovered I could use this to produce puzzle/treasure hunts for a much wider audience, AND incorporate multi-million dollar satellite systems! I have found 8, and hidden 1 to get used to the process/requirements. I am currently working on a 6 stage, story based multi/puzzle cache combining steampunk, zombies and cryptography.

P.S. My daughters have given up on their hunt, despite the fact that I told them there was $100 in "gold" coins as an FTF prize. Guess they're not that into puzzles. Hopefully I get a better response with this wider audience.

I have to say that personally, I go through stages of both.

Just a few weeks ago, I was super into finding. Took a trip to another local city and cached for 2.5 days straight. Month or so ago before that, I went out and hid 8 caches in a day. Some traditional, a multi, and a letterbox.

I enjoy both for different reasons. I like the finding for the sake of finding something neat in a unique location, although there are times that I am purely looking to get my numbers up or hit a certain milestone. Other times, the finding is all about just killing time and enjoying the outdoors.

Hiding however is different. I like to hide caches to bring people to different parts of my city. I also like hiding some unique urban hides, and have even done some comical ones (5 gallon bucket painted up to look like a giant 35mm canister). I really do enjoy the logs and seeing what people think of the caches I hide. I would rather hide caches that people can find then hide an "evil" cache that no one can find. I have one puzzle cache that I will probably archive because it's extremely hard to decode the puzzle and there's only been 9 finds in more than 6 months. I really don't like having caches that people can't find. In fact, I'm going to archive the one I just mentioned.

Regardless, for me, it's really about both.

Generally speaking, I much more enjoy hiding. Planning a good container, finding just the right spot, writing up the description and editing it. Filling the container with cool swag. Then get it hidden and published and you can sit back and start reading all those interesting stories in the logs. Although I must admit I think we are nearing our limit of hides that we can take good care of. I've got 2 disabled for far too long right now but winter makes travel a bit more difficult.

800 finds and 136 hides.

Both

We love making an evening of just a couple of caches. Do dinner, see the area etc. It is NOT about the numbers to us.

Hiding - well, my 1st cache took 6-8 hours, 2nd about 60hours and my 3rd I lost track at 4 weeks of about every evening.

Music to my ears: "Not about the numbers to us". Sweetest words in caching.

I enjoy finding and hiding. Right now I have been focusing on hides and developing Wherigo's for the area.

...I enjoy both for different reasons. I like the finding for the sake of finding something neat in a unique location, although there are times that I am purely looking to get my numbers up or hit a certain milestone. Other times, the finding is all about just killing time and enjoying the outdoors.

Hiding however is different. I like to hide caches to bring people to different parts of my city. I also like hiding some unique urban hides, and have even done some comical ones (5 gallon bucket painted up to look like a giant 35mm canister). I really do enjoy the logs and seeing what people think of the caches I hide. I would rather hide caches that people can find then hide an "evil" cache that no one can find. ..

We have enjoyed the places geocaching has taken us. As a matter of fact we found one really awsome county park we never in a million years would have gone to without the cache being there.

I am also not into hiding things so that no one can find them. I don't like making people log DNFs. If it is a little challenging, that's cool, but making people pull their hair out is not my bag.

I like both too. I prolly have more fun (overall) out 'finding', but I truly enjoy doing what I think of as providing game-pieces so others can enjoy playing too. After all, without those, whatcha gonna do when you've found all of the ones around ya? (& please, no "go to another city" arguments, PLEASE!) I will say however, I've gotten many more disappointments from seeing how people treat the caches, & the often utter lack of respect for the game & the folks who at their own time & expense, provide those gamepieces. Some seem to think you OWE them the caches, yet for some reason don't feel the need to pay their part. What'll it take to make them understand that decent logs, fair trade & not tearing the cache & surrounding area to shreds are encouragement for more caches being placed, and fair play is an encouragement for others to play?!

~*

We enjoy both finding & hiding caches.

At the same time we are smart enough not to place more caches than we can maintain on a regular basis.

Yeah, I kind of worry about getting carried away in the fun, but since the hub and I generally have our weekends open, and given we don't hide too far afield, we should be OK with a good many caches in our "hidden" list.