PN-40 Owners

For all you PN-40 owners, any advice or tips and tricks you can share? My wife and I are brand new to the art of geocacheing, we are patiently waiting for the arrival of our PN-40. I have been researching everything I can find on how to load geocaches. I consider myself pretty tech savvy, is TOPO pretty easy to use? I have never owned a handheld GPS, the wife and I have been using my Iphone to search for caches. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Some--maybe most--people regard Topo7 as having a steep learning curve. But then there are others who have reported that they didn't find it to be as daunting as they expected. There is a lot of depth in the PN-40 and Topo7, which makes mastering it a longer process than simpler map/GPS combinations. A lot of us find the effort well rewarded.

I'd offer two suggestions:

1. Head over to the Delorme Users forum in my signature. There's a heck of a lot of information there, although it's not organized in a way that always makes it easy to find. Thankfully, the forum users are happy to point you to tutorials and to help you over any hurdles you encounter. I'd particularly suggest reviewing the topics in the PN-40 Tips & Tricks forum.

2. I'd suggest not trying to do too much too quickly...that can be a recipe for confusion and frustration. Especially if it's your first GPS, load some of the precut regional DVD maps for your local area (these are the kind of detail street/topo maps you can make in Topo7, but Delorme has done the work for you so you can put detail maps directly into the PN-40 or an SD card without having to even open Topo7). This will allow you to start to get familiar with the PN-40 without having to learn Topo7 at the same time. After you are feeling like you've got the basics down with the PN-40, then you might want to begin downloading geocache waypoints as I outline in this tutorial. After that, start taking a look at some of the imagery that you can view in Topo7.

There's also a great starter thread in that forum here.

Mainly...ask questions when you start to feel your patience nearing its end.

Edited by embra

Some--maybe most--people regard Topo7 as having a steep learning curve. But then there are others who have reported that they didn't find it to be as daunting as they expected. There is a lot of depth in the PN-40 and Topo7, which makes mastering it a longer process than simpler map/GPS combinations. A lot of us find the effort well rewarded.

Additionally, the DeLorme folks (a very friendly, helpful lot) have made it known that geocaching with the PN-40 will become much, much easier. They will be rolling out "Send to GPS" functionality, as well as the "Cache Register", which will eliminate the need for Topo 7 when geocaching (although Topo 7 is still necessary for loading maps, routes, etc, but for strictly geocaching, these tools will make things much easier). They have two blog posts detailing these upcoming features, can't wait!

Here are the posts:

http://blog.delorme.com/2009/01/31/paperless-caching-update/

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/

These are exciting days for PN-20 and PN-40 owners!

-Adam

When I ordered from Amazon I added the subscription and a 16g sd card. Regarding the colored arerial images, Is it difficult to layer this information with the actual geocache? I looked at the tutorial and it seemed pretty straight forward. I am assuming that I can toggle the different map screens on the device from what I have read. Which additional maps do you find most beneficial when cacheing? The color or the b/w?

Edited by Beach Bums In Love

Yes, it is all very simple. I use the color aerials, CDOQQs, for back country and the Hi-Res City for around town. I have the CDOQQs cut at Zoom Levels 12 - 17 and the Hi-Res City at 15 - 17 and have them set for priority in my -40. So, as I get closer and press the Zoom in rocker, it transitions from Topo 7 map to aerial photo, at ZL 15 for city, with the cache symbol superimposed over the photo image.

Zoom in on this shot and imagine walking across the parking lot to the cache:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+33%c2%b0+3....084+(GC1M931)+

With the subscription, I have downloaded all the Hi-Res City for the area in my town and my daughter's where we are typically caching, about 3GB. And then all that I want for back country areas where we go camping and weekending. Good choice on the 16GB card, you'll fill it. :o

Oh yeah, with the subscription, it doesn't cost anymore to check out all the options; Trial and Error are your friends. :)

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Hi Beach Bums in Love (great name!):

If by "download time", you mean transfer from your PC to the PN-40, then it depends on how you do it. The best (fastest) way is to remove the SD card from the PN-40, and copy direct to it using an SD card reader-writer. Be sure it and your computer USB port are USB2 ("high speed" on some devices). Also, the reader will need to be capable of working with SD-HC cards for the larger size SD cards. It's reasonably fast, and you won't need to do it very often. There are other (slower) ways to do it as well.

If you meant the download from Delorme .... well, of course that depends on your internet connection speed, and how busy their site is. It has also been reasonable, IMO.

Although nobody likes to RTFM, the geocaching "scenario" in the PN-40 manual is also enough to get you started. The scenario uses a single geocache, which is a good way to start out.

Since you are a premium member, you will also be able to use pocket queries to download multiple caches at one time. While you are waiting for your PN-40 to arrive, you may want to generate a PQ for the area around your home coordinates, wait for the .gpx files to arrive in the e-mail, download them to your computer and import them into Topo 7. You can then save your "project" with the caches in it. This will give you some practice with PQs and T7. And you'll be that much closer to being able to get out and try it when your unit shows up.

With regard to download times, it can be painful. I usually download and cut the equivalent of a single USGS 7.5 minute quad. I use B&W aerial (DOQQ in the Delorme vernacular), color aerial (CDOQQ) and the USGS 1:24k topos (3DTQ). No hi-res aerial available for my area, and I don't find the satellite 10meter useful. Anyhow, one quad usually comes to around 125MB to 150MB. The "cut" size (the data that actually gets transferred to the PN-40) is around 3 times that, although YMMV depending on what zoom levels you cut. Don't know if the speedometer is accurate or not, but T7 usually reports anywhere from 30KB to 60KB per second download speed -- no matter how much faster your broadband connection might be.

Maybe should describe the whole process in general terms.

1) Select the data you want. You do this in T7. For each type of imagery you want, you select the area you want to cover. You add this to your "cart", giving each selection a name. Repeat for each type of imagery and area. To start with, keep the area small and download all types of imagery you want for exactly the same area. This saves confusion later.

2) Check out. With the subscription, this doesn't involve much of anything, but you need to complete the step. At this point, the server builds the datasets you requested.

3) From T7, you can monitor the process. When the datasets are ready, use T7 to download them to your computer. Go have lunch, a quick jog around the block, a frosty one, and then check on the download. Once the download is done, your selections will show up as available in T7.

4) Now you have to "cut" the map set which contains your imagery. This puts the data in a format which the PN-40 can use. This is also where you select the zoom levels at which you want to be able to view the imagery. The cutting process leaves the cut maps on your computer hard drive.

5) Copy the cut maps to the PN-40. Now you're ready for that "the cache is under THAT tree" moment.

Know it sounds complicated, but it's not that bad once you've done it a couple of times. As somebody else said, there are useful sets of step by step instructions on the Delorme forums:

http://forums.delorme.com

Welcome aboard :)

My PN-40 finally arrived today around 5:30 PM. The device is pretty sweet and with the help of everyone on this forum and my wife I have successfully loaded the Topo maps for my region and 3 PQ's including the 500 nearest caches to my home coordinates, member only caches and caches that have yet to be found. I am just waiting for an e-mail to notify me that my aerial and satellite imagery are ready to transfer to my device. Tomorrow the wife and I will put this thing to use and start finding some caches. Thank you all again and the Delorme Team.

If you do your homework and ask the right questions this device and Topo USA are easy to use and pretty intuitive.

Which zoom level should I cut my new aerial/satellite images at?

For color aerial images I use 12-16. This equates to a zoom range of .25nm to 80 feet. Below 160 feet it starts getting fuzzy, so you can probably go with 12-15 if you want to. For the Hi res City imagery, the images are good at max zoom level. I use 13-17 for hi res city stuff. The hi res city imagery takes a lot more memory than the color aerial does, but if you have a 16 gb card you should be good to go. (32 gb card would be sweet to have.)

Which zoom level should I cut my new aerial/satellite images at?

For color aerial images I use 12-16. This equates to a zoom range of .25nm to 80 feet. Below 160 feet it starts getting fuzzy, so you can probably go with 12-15 if you want to. For the Hi res City imagery, the images are good at max zoom level. I use 13-17 for hi res city stuff. The hi res city imagery takes a lot more memory than the color aerial does, but if you have a 16 gb card you should be good to go. (32 gb card would be sweet to have.)

I use the same for CDOQQs but 15-17 for Hi-Res City imagery. But that is not to disagree with RR, it is just a personal preference.

Trial & Error are your friends. After downloading some Hi-Res City, cut a little chunklet of 13-17 and transfer to your - 40 and then go from there.........

My PN-40 finally arrived today around 5:30 PM. The device is pretty sweet and with the help of everyone on this forum and my wife I have successfully loaded the Topo maps for my region and 3 PQ's including the 500 nearest caches to my home coordinates, member only caches and caches that have yet to be found. ...........

If you do your homework and ask the right questions this device and Topo USA are easy to use and pretty intuitive.

So much for the steep learning curve! :(

I really don't concern myself with it all that much. Now that I'm geocaching with the aerial imagery.

You must be one of them city cowboy's. When I'm out on the range, or anywhere you can't use single trees as landmarks, waas accuracy would be very handy. :(

Edited by yogazoo

I really don't concern myself with it all that much. Now that I'm geocaching with the aerial imagery.

You must be one of them city cowboy's. When I'm out on the range, or anywhere you can't use single trees as landmarks, waas accuracy would be very handy. :(

Doesn't matter, around town, up in the High Sierras with no end of trees or down in the treeless Colorado Desert, I just walk to the icon as overlaid on the aerial. Again, lack of WAAS does not affect the location of the icon on the screen. It is not all that difficult. Visualize that I'm walking to the icon which is essentially north and 300' distant. Does it matter if I'm starting 300' away and 15' off to the left or to the rignt of my GPSr indicated position?

Or scroll back up to my post with the link to the cache in the shopping center parking lot. As my daughter was walking across the parking lot she was trying to describe to me to which store she was near on the cellphone. Well, looking at the Google aerial, I could see no store names on the rood. Therefore, I had no idea of her location, which didn't matter. I just told her to walk to the corner and three parking spots to the left. No WAAS at all on that Google shot.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Sometimes I forget that the current GPS consumer market revolves around geocaching. I appearantly also forgot that WAAS is nothing but a gimmick to sell GPS's to suckers like me who appreciate accurate, corrected coordinates. I'll have to remember these things going forward. Thanks Delorme crowd for setting me straight on that.:)

So I'm reading between the lines that since PN-40 users "don't really concern [themselves] with it all that much" that WAAS doesnt yet work properly on the Delorme units. I'll bet that if the screen stops working some folks would explain how screen displays are overrated and all you really need are beeps to find your cache.

Edited by yogazoo

My PN-40 finally arrived today around 5:30 PM. The device is pretty sweet and with the help of everyone on this forum and my wife I have successfully loaded the Topo maps for my region and 3 PQ's including the 500 nearest caches to my home coordinates, member only caches and caches that have yet to be found. ...........

So much for the steep learning curve! :)

I had a problem the other night, I was going bonkers trying to figure out how to load some aerial maps! I had done this before, but was really not getting it this time and thougth I had screwed my unit up (happy fingers). Problem was, I was on nyquil because of a bad cold.

Next morning, I took another look and realized I had left out one important step...save the stupid maps to export them!! D'OH!!!! 10 minutes later, maps were in the progress of being downloaded!! It's really simple, if you don't try doing it hopped up on green juice (nyquil).

Sometimes I forget that the current GPS consumer market revolves around geocaching. I appearantly also forgot that WAAS is nothing but a gimmick to sell GPS's to suckers like me who appreciate accurate, corrected coordinates. I'll have to remember these things going forward. Thanks Delorme crowd for setting me straight on that.:D

:):P

I have to word this carefully because of betatesting NDA. There's been no change since the last publicly released firmware (back in December was it?). But Chip of Team Delorme has posted publicly that betatester comments have been favorable regarding WAAS improvements...so it would be reasonable to expect improvement with the upcoming firmware upgrade.

Sometimes I forget that the current GPS consumer market revolves around geocaching. I appearantly also forgot that WAAS is nothing but a gimmick to sell GPS's to suckers like me who appreciate accurate, corrected coordinates. I'll have to remember these things going forward. Thanks Delorme crowd for setting me straight on that.:D

:):P

I have to word this carefully because of betatesting NDA. There's been no change since the last publicly released firmware (back in December was it?). But Chip of Team Delorme has posted publicly that betatester comments have been favorable regarding WAAS improvements...so it would be reasonable to expect improvement with the upcoming firmware upgrade.

Where do I get the Firmware update? I just recieved my PN-40 and it says it was made in November so I guess I don't have the best software. Say what you will about the WAAS but in a side by side test with my Garmin Venture HC, the Garmin was +/- 10 feet with WAAS lock and the PN-40 was +/- 30 feet with out WAAS. The PN-40 has only had WASS once and it was +/- 5 feet.

Edited by WatchDog2020

Although nobody likes to RTFM, the geocaching "scenario" in the PN-40 manual is also enough to get you started. The scenario uses a single geocache, which is a good way to start out.

Since you are a premium member, you will also be able to use pocket queries to download multiple caches at one time. While you are waiting for your PN-40 to arrive, you may want to generate a PQ for the area around your home coordinates, wait for the .gpx files to arrive in the e-mail, download them to your computer and import them into Topo 7. You can then save your "project" with the caches in it. This will give you some practice with PQs and T7. And you'll be that much closer to being able to get out and try it when your unit shows up.

With regard to download times, it can be painful. I usually download and cut the equivalent of a single USGS 7.5 minute quad. I use B&W aerial (DOQQ in the Delorme vernacular), color aerial (CDOQQ) and the USGS 1:24k topos (3DTQ). No hi-res aerial available for my area, and I don't find the satellite 10meter useful. Anyhow, one quad usually comes to around 125MB to 150MB. The "cut" size (the data that actually gets transferred to the PN-40) is around 3 times that, although YMMV depending on what zoom levels you cut. Don't know if the speedometer is accurate or not, but T7 usually reports anywhere from 30KB to 60KB per second download speed -- no matter how much faster your broadband connection might be.

Maybe should describe the whole process in general terms.

1) Select the data you want. You do this in T7. For each type of imagery you want, you select the area you want to cover. You add this to your "cart", giving each selection a name. Repeat for each type of imagery and area. To start with, keep the area small and download all types of imagery you want for exactly the same area. This saves confusion later.

2) Check out. With the subscription, this doesn't involve much of anything, but you need to complete the step. At this point, the server builds the datasets you requested.

3) From T7, you can monitor the process. When the datasets are ready, use T7 to download them to your computer. Go have lunch, a quick jog around the block, a frosty one, and then check on the download. Once the download is done, your selections will show up as available in T7.

4) Now you have to "cut" the map set which contains your imagery. This puts the data in a format which the PN-40 can use. This is also where you select the zoom levels at which you want to be able to view the imagery. The cutting process leaves the cut maps on your computer hard drive.

5) Copy the cut maps to the PN-40. Now you're ready for that "the cache is under THAT tree" moment.

Know it sounds complicated, but it's not that bad once you've done it a couple of times. As somebody else said, there are useful sets of step by step instructions on the Delorme forums:

http://forums.delorme.com

Welcome aboard :(

Could you walk me through this? I have been a Garmin user. I save the PQ to a folder but it will not show when I try to import.

Could you walk me through this? I have been a Garmin user. I save the PQ to a folder but it will not show when I try to import.

Roger that:

Screenshots of the following steps (PQ version):

Link to Embra's graphics

Step by step:

1. With a Premium Membership, click on the GPX button of the cache of interest and send it to your PC.

2. On your PC, open up the bundled DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 mapping application.

3. Click on the "Draw" tab, click on the "File..." button, then click on the "Import..." button on the right.

4. Navigate as usual to the folder where you saved the downloaded GPX file and Open it.

5. Click on the "Handheld Export" button.

6. Connect your PN-XX and boot it up.

7. Back in Topo 7, click on the "Exchange" window.

8. Objects stored and recognized by Topo &, including the downloaded caches as Waypoints, will be in the tree structure in the left pane while the objects contained in your PN-XX are shown in the right pane.

10. Select the subject Waypoint in the left pane tree and click the "Send" button.

It is now in your PN-20, -40.

Multiple caches may be downloaded via Pocket Query in a similar fashion.

10. Select the subject Waypoint layer, or collection, in the left pane tree and click the "Send" button.

It is now in your PN-20, -40

Just got done logging everything for the day. With the PN-40 the wife and I went 4/5. The one we missed was a micro bison. The PN-40 put us right on top of all of them. I think we missed the bison because our geosense has not fully matured. We have only been at it for a week.

Whew! I had mistakenly convinced someone above that the PN-40 was not good enough for successful geoacaching. :(

Congratulations!

So I'm reading between the lines that since PN-40 users "don't really concern [themselves] with it all that much" that WAAS doesnt yet work properly on the Delorme units. I'll bet that if the screen stops working some folks would explain how screen displays are overrated and all you really need are beeps to find your cache.

You know I used to think Garmins were the best GPSr units on earth. Everything I always bought was Garmin. They had a good name and a proven product in the 60csx. Then I bought a Colorado. My view of that company completely changed with that product. It wasn't much good at anything they said it would do and tech support didn't provide any help. In most cases they wouldn't even admit there was a problem. The only thing good about the Colorado was the paperless geocaching features, which I liked, but the many, many problems with that unit negated that. I really feel somewhat sorry for Garmin becasue it seems they have become a large company and unresponsive to the needs of users. Then along came the Delorme PN-40. What a great product. It does everything it says it will do right out of the box. Their tech support is great and they love geocachers. I don't think the Colorado design engineers have any idea what a geocacher is. There is some paperless features that I, like some other users wanted improved and Delorme listened. There was some WAAS issues that needed tweeking, and Delorme listened. We wanted an easier way other than Topo 7 to get the caches on the unit and Delorme came up with Cache Register. I see their tech support guys on the forums all the time answering questions. I have never seen a Garmin tech support guy on this forum answer anything, ever, have you? I'm not trying to bash Garmin only making observations. I used to be one of the most impatient "I want it now" guys on the forum until I saw how much work it is getting beta software bug free. Now I have a lot more patients with the Delorme team as they produce a truly geocaching friendly piece of software. The bottom line is this new v2.5 geocaching firmware upgrade which is about to be released fulfills all my expectations and makes the PN-40 the premier geocaching GPSr on the market today. :(

Sometimes I forget that the current GPS consumer market revolves around geocaching. I appearantly also forgot that WAAS is nothing but a gimmick to sell GPS's to suckers like me who appreciate accurate, corrected coordinates. I'll have to remember these things going forward. Thanks Delorme crowd for setting me straight on that.:(

Not sure what lines you read between, but I can spell it out clearly and in front of you...Am I concerned I can't get WAAS at this time?? NOPE, the fix is in the works. Would I like it, SURE, but why worry about something which isn't in your control and truly, has little impact on my caching ability!

But I'm guessing you're not a DeLorme user and are simply stirring the pot?

I've yet to get WAAS, but I haven't loaded the latest firmware (waiting for the newest, I guess). I've hidden 2 caches with my Delorme, last to find one spoke of how the coords were "spot on"...I guess it can't be too bad without WAAS!

Roger that:

Screenshots of the following steps (PQ version):

Link to Embra's graphics

Step by step:

1. With a Premium Membership, click on the GPX button of the cache of interest and send it to your PC.

2. On your PC, open up the bundled DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 mapping application.

3. Click on the "Draw" tab, click on the "File..." button, then click on the "Import..." button on the right.

4. Navigate as usual to the folder where you saved the downloaded GPX file and Open it.

5. Click on the "Handheld Export" button.

6. Connect your PN-XX and boot it up.

7. Back in Topo 7, click on the "Exchange" window.

8. Objects stored and recognized by Topo &, including the downloaded caches as Waypoints, will be in the tree structure in the left pane while the objects contained in your PN-XX are shown in the right pane.

10. Select the subject Waypoint in the left pane tree and click the "Send" button.

It is now in your PN-20, -40.

Multiple caches may be downloaded via Pocket Query in a similar fashion.

10. Select the subject Waypoint layer, or collection, in the left pane tree and click the "Send" button.

It is now in your PN-20, -40

Cowboy Papa beat me to it. A few additional points.

You said you have a PQ. You received it as an e-mail attachment which was a .zip file. Save the attachment to your PC. This will appear on your Windows PC as a compressed folder. As far as I know, there is no way to open the contents of a compressed folder directly from T7 (which I think accounts for your inability to see the .gpx files from T7). Instead, open Windows Explorer. Double-click the compressed folder to open it (most likely in a separate Windows Explorer window). Select the two .gpx files and copy them to an uncompressed folder someplace on your PC. Now, follow steps 3 and 4 to import one of the two into T7. Repeat for the other file.

At step 6, the PN-40 will ask you whether you want Map Transfer or Data Exchange mode. Be sure to pick Data Exchange, not Map Transfer.

Since you had two .gpx files, you will have two way point layers in the waypoint collection at step 10. Pick the whole Waypoint collection, not an individual waypoint or layer.

Your right, I'm not a Delorme user. I'm simply a disgruntled Garmin user who understands the Oregon and the PN-40 use the same chipset and both can't see a WAAS bird to save their lives. I was simply trying to see if Delorme fixed it. If Delorme recieved new code from the Cartesio people and fixed the problem with the chipset not picking up WAAS, then a fix for Garmin Cartesio units shouldn't be far behind.

Look I'm not trying to stir the pot here, really. I'm not a secret agent Garmin set out to destroy all that which is Delorme.

Look, you Delorme guys tend to get overly defensive about problems with the PN-40 to the point of being kinda wierd. :( BOTTOM LINE: Both the Oregon and the PN-40's are advertised as WAAS capable. Neither work as advertised in that respect.

Any time someone speaks of potential deficiencies with the PN-40 they MUST be Garmin nazi's marching to invade the magical land of Delorme. Just calm down folks, yall are at a 10 when you need to be at a 2. :)

Your right, I'm not a Delorme user. I'm simply a disgruntled Garmin user who understands the Oregon and the PN-40 use the same chipset and both can't see a WAAS bird to save their lives. I was simply trying to see if Delorme fixed it. If Delorme recieved new code from the Cartesio people and fixed the problem with the chipset not picking up WAAS, then a fix for Garmin Cartesio units shouldn't be far behind.

I can't possibly defend it. At least at Missouri lattitudes, WAAS never works on the PN-40.

According to hints leaked by the beta testers, WAAS is supposed to be greatly improved in the next firmware release, which also includes the geocaching enhancements. Based on other posts I've seen, I do believe this includes changes to the chipset firmware, which means Cartesio must have been involved. Delorme says they are "really, really" close to RTM -- which I interpret to mean sometime in the next month (or maybe two :( ). We'll let you know.

BTW, I still like my CO.

Look I'm not trying to stir the pot here, really. I'm not a secret agent Garmin set out to destroy all that which is Delorme.

Look, you Delorme guys tend to get overly defensive about problems with the PN-40 to the point of being kinda wierd. :( BOTTOM LINE: Both the Oregon and the PN-40's are advertised as WAAS capable. Neither work as advertised in that respect.

Any time someone speaks of potential deficiencies with the PN-40 they MUST be Garmin nazi's marching to invade the magical land of Delorme. Just calm down folks, yall are at a 10 when you need to be at a 2. :)

Can't speak for others, but I personally am tired of seeing the DeLorme bashers take cheap shots at the PN series, especially when most of you have never even handled a PN! Bottom line, it seems to me, most bashers are trying to make themselves feel better about paying extra money for a product they aren't happy with, and are mad us DeLorme lovers are happy...IMHO!

Anytime a basher speaks of DeLorme, they always try to take pot shots at the unit, the owners whatever....why not just state facts and leave the silly games out of it?

Can't speak for others, but I personally am tired of seeing the DeLorme bashers take cheap shots at the PN series, especially when most of you have never even handled a PN! Bottom line, it seems to me, most bashers are trying to make themselves feel better about paying extra money for a product they aren't happy with, and are mad us DeLorme lovers are happy...IMHO!

Anytime a basher speaks of DeLorme, they always try to take pot shots at the unit, the owners whatever....why not just state facts and leave the silly games out of it?

Exhibit A

Dude, what on earth are you talking about? I never took a pot shot at the PN-40, I simply asked a question about WAAS. I wasn't bashing anything. "Silly Games?" WTF? Right away the gloves come off with you guys. Is there some neuro-chemical leeching out of the plastic of the PN-40? SHEESH!!! :(

Edited by yogazoo

Sometimes I forget that the current GPS consumer market revolves around geocaching. I appearantly also forgot that WAAS is nothing but a gimmick to sell GPS's to suckers like me who appreciate accurate, corrected coordinates. I'll have to remember these things going forward. Thanks Delorme crowd for setting me straight on that.:)

This isn't a pot shot? You weren't taking shots at us PN owners with this remark?? I must have read it all wrong then, because it sure appears as a pot shot to me!

I'll call this "Exhibit A" also! :(

And yes, silly games. One poster decided he wanted to make an issue of the screen size, so he started calling it itty bitty, a silly game IMHO. Sure, it's smaller than most units, but the screen isn't the only feature on any GPS, and the other features of the PNs MORE than make up for the smaller screen! One person wanted to belittle the mapping software and made all kinds of comments where the maps showed nothing but blur...we all know better than that! Bottom line, some feel the need to make the PN look bad even though they have no idea what they're talking about! Why bad-mouth, why not just stick to facts???

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I find it best to keep the following attitude. Every unit blows chunks for something and shines for something else. You just need to find the one that suits you, and who the heck cares what Mr Jones downs the road buys.

But above all... they are just electronic doodads. Go and pet a kitten or something, or heck....find a cache.

Exhibit A

Dude, what on earth are you talking about? I never took a pot shot at the PN-40, I simply asked a question about WAAS. I wasn't bashing anything. "Silly Games?" WTF? Right away the gloves come off with you guys. Is there some neuro-chemical leeching out of the plastic of the PN-40? SHEESH!!! :(

Come on you're really not that innocent. You worded your previous post pefectly with sarcasm. So yes, we will be a bit sensitive when Garmin users post in such a mannerthat detracts from a discussion and then resort to comments such as your last statement in this post.

My tone was misconstrued, I apologize. I really meant no harm or foul. Now let's get back to the lively discussion of GPS's and Technology.

Then its all good. Moving forward.

Because you added after I posted it's only fair to comment on it.

As for my last statement on my previous post it's was a JOKE. Man, you guys are a tough audience.

It stops being funny when you receive enough jabs. eg for beginners, drinking Koolaid or being a fanboy as these were not meant in jest when it came to criticizing the people chatting up the GPS. So again, yes, the sensitivity is there. It'll pass, but until it does, some of us will step up to the plate.

Edited by TotemLake