How long dose a cache take to be reviewd?

Crab_Soul

It can take up to 72 hours. From my experience, the shortest time frame was 15 minutes, but I know that is a rare situation. A day and a half has been a good personal wait time. I've read in some of these forums that if the weather has been "bad" in your area, and now you have "Great Geocaching Weather" and you place a hide, you may have to wait longer for it to be published because many other cachers have also placed caches and your local reviewer is now inundated. This same situation applies to "just before a long holiday weekend" :laughing:

One thing that may be useful while you wait. I looked at your account and it shows no caches found. If this is the same account you hid the cache under, you might want to double check to be sure you have set your home coordinates on your profile page.

Go to "my account details" and search for "update home coodinates"

That way, the reviewer will know you are placing a cache within a reasonable distance of your home (or know to ask if you have a plan for maintenance).

Hi Crab Soul, congrats on your first find yesterday. Looks like you are in Louisiana like me. Why not come visit us at http://www.lageocachers.com I'm sure we can answer any questions you may have about the local caching scene.

Also, Mtn-Man is a great reviewer, he is probably checking your placement since it is your first hide and you only have the one find. I'm sure he will get back to you soon. 72 hours is the normal time window for publcation but it will depend on where you hid your cache and how quickly he can verify it meets the guidelines.

On February 6th, your reviewer told you how to add your home coordinates. Until you do that, or otherwise explain how you'll be able to maintain your cache, then the listing will just sit there.

home cordinates? ok so its not just the address

lol funny part is the cache is right in front of my house haha

alright so i set my cords

Edited by Crab_Soul

another noob here just reading forums and learning about geocaching. Did I understand correctly, when you submit a cash you have to give your home coordinates? That seems kinda creepy, posting your homes location on line. PLease tell me I am misunderstanding. IF I have to give my home coordinates, I guess I will never get to place a cache. lol

Your home coordinates are not published unless you place the cache on your front porch. I am pretty sure the 'home coordinates' they are talking about is on the right side of your 'My Account' page where it says 'Update Home Coordinates.' That way they reviewer can 'see' where you are and can determine the distance of the cache from your house to see if you are close enough to properly maintain it.

-edited for poor speeling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

another noob here just reading forums and learning about geocaching. Did I understand correctly, when you submit a cash you have to give your home coordinates? That seems kinda creepy, posting your homes location on line. PLease tell me I am misunderstanding. IF I have to give my home coordinates, I guess I will never get to place a cache. lol

First off nobody can see them but you. Second, they don't have to be your exact coordinates. An arbitrary spot

within a few miles of your home will do. The reviewers need to know the general area where you live to help them judge whether you are placing a cache with a "maintainable" distance from your home.

I use my exact home coordinates so proximity searches from my home coordinates show the correct distance, and the weekly e-mailer with new caches also shows their correct distance from my home. If you are uncomfortable doing that then no reason you can't use the park 3 miles from your house as your home coordinates.

I placed a cache yesterday, and today it was published. I think it was published so quickly because of the specific notes I entered for the reviewer.

That is exactly why. The cache I placed took almost 3 days to get published but it was my fault for not providing the reviewer with all the pertinant information from the start.

First off nobody can see them but you. Second, they don't have to be your exact coordinates. An arbitrary spot

within a few miles of your home will do. The reviewers need to know the general area where you live to help them judge whether you are placing a cache with a "maintainable" distance from your home.

I use my exact home coordinates so proximity searches from my home coordinates show the correct distance, and the weekly e-mailer with new caches also shows their correct distance from my home. If you are uncomfortable doing that then no reason you can't use the park 3 miles from your house as your home coordinates.

What about placing a cache far away from your home if it's in a place you visit once or twice a year, or more in some cases. For instance, I live in Texas, but we go to the area near Creede Colorado every summer and occasionally the spring or fall. Also, we have property in Oklahoma that we go to on the weekends about 20+ times a year. Would placing caches in these areas be acceptable?

Have you read through the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Especially this part ...

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

[snip]

alright so i set my cords

When you do something to correct a problem with a cache listing (or in this case, update your home coordinates) you have to let the reviewer know what you've done. This can be done through either a reviewer note posted to the cache page or through a PM send directly to the reviewer. Your reviewer will usually let you know which method they prefer. They don't watch the listing to regularly check for changes.

What about placing a cache far away from your home if it's in a place you visit once or twice a year, or more in some cases. For instance, I live in Texas, but we go to the area near Creede Colorado every summer and occasionally the spring or fall. Also, we have property in Oklahoma that we go to on the weekends about 20+ times a year. Would placing caches in these areas be acceptable?

As long as you make reviewer notes and give all necessary information, like how often you go there etc. If you have someone that can help out if absolutely necessary, it would be worth mentioning that.

For example, I have caches that are 3000 km apart, because I alternate monthly between the Cayman Islands and Nova Scotia. I have friends in Nova Scotia and family in the Cayman Islands to help out for anything absolutely necessary.

And this was all listed on my page when I submitted it!