Adult themed caches - is this OK?

I am new to this sport so forgive my ignorance. There are some very physically hard caches in my area like The Aptos Creek Pools Challenge. I am a very active person myself (climber, backpacker, hiker) and would like to put out a cache like this. The current FTF thread got me to thinking, would it be OK to put one of those little bottles of my favorite whiskey as a FTF reward? I'm talking about a cache that no kid could ever get to.

I am new to this sport so forgive my ignorance. There are some very physically hard caches in my area like The Aptos Creek Pools Challenge. I am a very active person myself (climber, backpacker, hiker) and would like to put out a cache like this. The current FTF thread got me to thinking, would it be OK to put one of those little bottles of my favorite whiskey as a FTF reward? I'm talking about a cache that no kid could ever get to.

Sounds like a cool FTF prize!, however I don't think the rules of Geocaching would allow it :(

Edited by Team CeDo

This is the actual cache content rules from the guidelines, I don't want to see you get in trouble so early in the game. :(

Cache Contents : Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Edited by Team CeDo

This is the actual cache content rules from the guidelines, I don't want to see you get in trouble so early in the game. :(

Cache Contents : Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

You could consider placing a "coupon" for the FTF'er to use to collect the prize. That way you're not violating any cache content rules, and you can verify that the person is of legal age to receive such a prize.

I know someone who leaves little bottles of Magellan gin in caches registered on a certain other caching site. But she doesn't put them in Geocaching.com registered caches.

If I was absolutely certain that no kids would find the cache, I might consider it. But I wouldn't leave a note on the cache page pointing out what I did. That way it wouldn't come to the attention of the community - unless some future finder got their panties in a bunch and posted a note or brought it to the forums or something. Then again, there are plenty of other cool things one could leave instead that wouldn't be potential for trouble.

Edited by Happy Bubbles

Regardless of what the guidelines say, I'm curious about your statement that this would be a cache that no kid could ever get to. A lot of times, people underestimate what kids can do. Also, what do you mean by "kid"? At what age could someone reach that cache? 14? (My daughter could do anything that I could), 16? 18? You need to be 21 to drink liquor. :(:P

You need to be 21 to drink liquor. :(:P

In the US

This is an international game, and there are a lot of counties with much less stupid drinking age laws. At least half the people I knew my freshman year in college made repeated trips to Canada because the age there was only 18 or 19 (depending on whether they went to Ontario or Quebec) and the border was only 45 minutes away.

You need to be 21 to drink liquor. :(:laughing:

In the US

This is an international game, and there are a lot of counties with much less stupid drinking age laws. At least half the people I knew my freshman year in college made repeated trips to Canada because the age there was only 18 or 19 (depending on whether they went to Ontario or Quebec) and the border was only 45 minutes away.

Ok, I wasn't thinking of different country's laws. The stupidity of each of those country's drinking laws is a whole other debate. :mad: But that still doesn't explain away younger children that can get to a lot harder caches than a lot may think. :P

Ok, I wasn't thinking of different country's laws. The stupidity of each of those country's drinking laws is a whole other debate. :unsure: But that still doesn't explain away younger children that can get to a lot harder caches than a lot may think. :laughing:

On this point, I whole heartedly agree. I would take a 15 y/o friend along to do the agility portion of a cache if I thought my aging old body wouldn't manage the hardest parts. So, as to other suggestions, my take would be that a coupon, or a gift card for the liquor, would be a suitable substitution. That takes the ultimate liability off you as the giver, and puts it directly on whomever redeems the coupon.

Ok, I wasn't thinking of different country's laws. The stupidity of each of those country's drinking laws is a whole other debate. :unsure: But that still doesn't explain away younger children that can get to a lot harder caches than a lot may think. :laughing:

On this point, I whole heartedly agree. I would take a 15 y/o friend along to do the agility portion of a cache if I thought my aging old body wouldn't manage the hardest parts. So, as to other suggestions, my take would be that a coupon, or a gift card for the liquor, would be a suitable substitution. That takes the ultimate liability off you as the giver, and puts it directly on whomever redeems the coupon.

The coupon is an excellent idea! I didn't even think of that, also many liquor stores sell gift cards as well and then you ensure that the person using it is of legal drinking age or if they are not maybe the under age person could use the gift card for something non-alcoholic in the same store. :ph34r:

The coupon is an excellent idea! I didn't even think of that, also many liquor stores sell gift cards as well and then you ensure that the person using it is of legal drinking age or if they are not maybe the under age person could use the gift card for something non-alcoholic in the same store. :laughing:

Depends on the state, but in NY, everything in liquor stores is alcoholic. Except maybe mixers, but those are kind of useless without something to mix into them.

The coupon is an excellent idea! I didn't even think of that, also many liquor stores sell gift cards as well and then you ensure that the person using it is of legal drinking age or if they are not maybe the under age person could use the gift card for something non-alcoholic in the same store. :laughing:

Depends on the state, but in NY, everything in liquor stores is alcoholic. Except maybe mixers, but those are kind of useless without something to mix into them.
Tennessee is also like this (well, I know that Hamilton County is and I assume the rest of the state is). They can sell NOTHING edible without alcohol. Only wines, liquors, pre-mixed drinks, and I think maybe beer. They can't sell snacks, pretzels, chips, margarita salt, or even ice.

But I still think a gift card would be a cool FTF prize. Maybe provide a STF prize for a lesser amount to a store that doesn't sell alcohol.

I'll take exception to a few points here.

First, I have taken my kids to almost every cache that I went to. You might be surprised what kids can do and how determined they can become. My oldest is 6.

Second, if the cache is in even a semi hazardous postion, I find it highly irresponsible that you might encourage the drinking of anything that could impair your physical abilities.

Finally - I am an adult that does not drink alcohol and I never ever have. To me it actually seems rather childish to think about leaving something like that as a "prize". So I don't even see any reason to title the thread as having anything to do with being an "adult themed cache". Alcohol is easily the most abused drug found anywhere.

If you follow the law you are good to go. If that cache in it's location is such that a child happening on the cache with the booze is OK then you are good to go. Finding a location that sets up those circumstances is the real challenge. I would say it's not enough to say "no kid could reach there". There has to have the right circumstances. For example a country with no minimum drinking age (and posession without and adult is ok) or a location where children are not allowed to be at all without a parent because of alcahol.

You could consider placing a "coupon" for the FTF'er to use to collect the prize. That way you're not violating any cache content rules, and you can verify that the person is of legal age to receive such a prize.

I second this. :laughing:

A great workaround. I've got no problem happening on a cupon for some good rotgut. A kid can't do anything with it, but I could.

Excellent idea! And one I will use.

Regarding the 'kids can't get there' statement; yes, kids can go where most of us old fogies can get to but would never stumble upon the placement I was thinking of (it's 9 miles one way into the wilderness) and would have a hard time finding it on their own even if they were determined. I was assuming if children were there with parents, the parents could supervise. Sorry if I was unclear. It's mute at this point as I will not break the rules and the coupon idea is better.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

... The stupidity of each of those country's drinking laws is a whole other debate. ...

I'd say wisdom of those other countries laws because the problem isn't drinking. It never has been. Those same countries don't have the problem this country is trying to solve to the same extent we have here. Proof enough that it's not the drinking age that's the problem. It's something else. A lot of interest groups are barking up the wrong tree.

Finally - I am an adult that does not drink alcohol and I never ever have. To me it actually seems rather childish to think about leaving something like that as a "prize".

It would be about as useful to you as a Dunkin Donunts gift card would be to me. I don't drink coffee or eat donuts. Not everybody is going to like every FTF prize. I don't see either as childish though.

Good call.

I'm local to you but we haven't crossed paths yet.

There's a local cacher who is owner of a local pub and is known to occasionally leave coupons good for either a beer or root beer (depending on who redeems).

Thanks, Kealia. I've seen your name on a 'few' logs. Maybe we'll run into each other at Wilder sometime (speaking of which, as soon as this rain lets up I'm going to try for TWIN OAKS OVERLOOK which as this writing is still unclaimed!). Maybe you could email me the name of the local pub you referenced, I'll get my coupon from him.

And thanks briansnat for the support.