Marking cache locations

PlantAKiss

I was wondering if this practice is something others have seen before. I haven't ever seen this mentioned here or by any cacher before.

I few weeks ago I went to check on the caches I own in a park. One of the caches is located off a nice, wide trail in a park seldom visited by people. When I got to where you break off the trail to head to the cache, I noticed a symbol drawn on the ground probably with a stick. It was directly opposite from where my cache is located. I can't remember the exact symbol, but say it was a circle with an X in it. In other words, a clearly deliberate marking--not an accidental hiking pole mark or something like that. There were no other marks along the trail. Just the one in front of where my cache was located. It was obvious someone had marked the cache location. I was P.O.'ed. So, I very carefully rubbed out the mark and made sure there was no indication any kind of mark had ever been on the trail.

At another cache location in this same park, I found a large branch laying perpendicular across the area I suggested for entering the woods off the path. Ok...I could maaaaaybe believe the branch was natural. But...seemed a little coincidental that of all the places along the lengthy trail, a branch fell off RIGHT smack across the "entrance" to the woods and cache. I dragged the branch off the trail and into a ditch.

I didn't have time to check on my other caches so I don't know if anything else was "marked."

So my questions are:

Is marking trails to indicate where to look for a cache a "known thing" to do? Is a thing to do that is common and I've just never known of it? And most of all...WHY would someone do that? To help out a fellow cacher who maybe doesn't have time to hunt for him/herself but just hunts marked areas?

Something someone would to help a friend out? Make it quicker or easier?

The first one in particular really peeved me. I don't think marking trails to help other cacher's find the right spot faster is fair.

If someone hunts for my caches I'd like it to a fair hunt. Maaayyybe to help out a kid that is just learning or help handicapped person.

Is this a known practice in the caching world that I have heard of yet? Happened to anyone else?

I am not sure which thread but someone did mention this activity.

I have not seen it but I am sure it happens. Especially if your caches are particularly difficult. It takes all kinds in this world and there are those that cheat. I don't know if there is cheating in geocaching but I think the only person that gets cheated is the cheater not the cheetee. I would just go about my caching and if you see it again just erase the marks again or make them hunt in a different direction.

I noticed this while caching yesterday - someone had bent two saplings together right above the rotted-out log where the cache was located. Granted, the spot was obvious enough of a potential hiding spot that I would have looked there anyway, but it was a good bit of a spoiler. I unlinked the two trees and rehid the cache.

Like TrailGators said, if someone other than the owner is marking caches, I might go so far as to move the markers to a similar location to mess with them. But then again, a cacher might see the moved marker as an indicator that the cache should be at that location, and not bother to look elsewhere... so it may not be a great idea after all. Could lead to a few not founds.

I was taught by some hikers that though you may think the trails aren't used much this practice is used to mark a direction as to not to get lost in the woods. Not everyone has a gps and I've met people who do it so when they back track they know which direction they have come from and which way to go. Even I, when use my gps find splits in trails and I want to be sure I am heading back in the same direction. As cachers we assume that it is something to do with our caches. And even if it did what's the big deal? The cachers still have to find it. The other markings maybe to mark areas already searched as not to repeat it.

And even if it did what's the big deal?

I KNEW somebody would say it. You can't ask a question here without somebody challenging why you asked it. Call me weird but I always thought one of the purposes of discussion forums is to answer questions when people have them. Being a moderator on a discussion board myself for almost 8 years, I usually only answer a question if I think I can contribute something positive in line with the question being asked. Not to put someone down for asking. If only you'd just left your reply at the possibility it was not cache related...

I saw the mark, there were no other marks along the trail. It didn't mark a turn, a fork or anything. Its one long straight wide trail. It was directly opposite my cache which, while well hidden, is within eyesite of the path. You can say it might have been a random trail mark of some type but I have no doubt it was marking my cache.

Is it a BIG deal? Like...world hunger...or the economy...or Aretha's hat? No. But I consider it cheating to mark caches for others and, as cache owner, I have to right to like or dislike that on MY caches. And I don't like it. Nowhere in the geocaching guidelines have I seen "feel free to mark cache locations so other cachers can find them more easily."

I was simply wondering if this had been seen before by other cache owners and if it was common or unusual since I had never seen it or heard anyone mention it.

Thank you for the replies that were just answering my question and not tossing a little judgement into the pot. :laughing:

Edited by PlantAKiss

Land managers (park rangers etc) will sometimes place downed timber across the entrance to what they perceive to be 'social trails'. It's done to discourage folks from leaving a 'main trail.' It's a particular habit (using larger timber) where single-track bike riding off established trails is a problem.

Otherwise, I think marking a cache is rare. I've seen it, but rarely.

It sounds like it could also be signs of a hash house harriers run

Is that the flour thing? I have seen that many times and always wondered what that was. I have not seen flour markings in this park at all. It is a little used park. Not too many know of its existence, which is one reason I placed my caches there. It's a nice hiking trail and I'd like to see more enjoy it.

As for the branch, I don't think the park managers placed it there as it is an area they use to dump grass clippings, leaves and such--a little access way of just about 20-30 feet that stops in the dumping area. Beyond is all wild woods. And a cache. :-)

At any rate...thanks for the replies. I guess the marking is peculiar to certain individuals and not all that common.

I was P.O.'ed.

Don't sweat the small stuff, which this is. It's a game, remember? On your cache visits, remove the markings and don't "have a cow, man," as some other little cartoon dude would say. Another also mentioned, geotrails do form, and perhaps someone else or a ranger placed that stick over your geotrail to discourage more people from using it.

Edited by vwaldoguy
And even if it did what's the big deal?

I KNEW somebody would say it. You can't ask a question here without somebody challenging why you asked it. Call me weird but I always thought one of the purposes of discussion forums is to answer questions when people have them.....

Um...so what's the big deal? In other words why is the issue important to you? I think you did answer it, but that the person who asked missed it.

I'm with BrianSnat on this one. The only reason to mark a cache is to help "lesser" cachers out or to short circuite the hunt intended by the cache owner. I'm hard pressed to see a reason or need to mark caches unless the owner is the one doing it.

That said the rule of 3 was proposed for moving caches back when they were allowed. 3 objects placed so that other finders would know the cache was gone and not look. Could be 3 rocks stacked, three sticks leaning on a tree. Just as long as it was obviouse.

Don't sweat the small stuff, which this is. It's a game, remember?

Thou makest too much of my query. I didn't lay down on the ground and have a tantrum. I didn't think about it for days on end. I didn't scream or yell or throw things. I was a little irritated to see it. It passed. Mainly I was curious as to whether this was common since I hadn't seen it before.

It seems like its not common. So...cool. Question answered. Some people have seen similar markings and some haven't.

perhaps someone else or a ranger placed that stick over your geotrail to discourage more people from using it.

Well, again, the park uses that area to dump a little plant debris, so, its neither a trail people use nor is "my geotrail." Just a little open area which I suggested a cacher might or might not choose as an easy entrance into the woods. Some people will just plunge in the messy way. There is no trail to my cache. It's thrash-and-seek. I do think that most people would choose this entry into the woods simply because it is the "path of least resistance" from open trail to woods.

Again, didn't "have a cow, man." I did remove the mark. It was a curiosity question.

And most people (like Starbrand, GPS-Hermit, brodiebunch, Briansnat, etc.) answered my question without telling me how I should or shouldn't feel about it.

I would just kick the stick off the path or rub out the arrow in the dirt and move on. Often there are enough detectable signs near the cache that another stick or scuff mark really doesn't make a lot of difference, but I usually spend a moment eliminating as much of the sign of prior visitors as I can. A handful of leaves in the right spot can be very effective, but often too much covering is just as obvious as not enough.