Delorme User BUSTED?!?

Hey All,

Just got a new delorme 20 for Christmas. Received it the first week of January. Dropped it while trying to juggle the usb cord, topo discs and unit in front of the pc tonight. The screen busted and splintered. The unit still works but I'm sure the Water proof is completely gone now and I just don't want a huge crack in my brand new unit. Problem: I have the box its contents and a shipping receipt but I don't see anything anywhere about a warranty. Has anybody dealt with Delorme? What is their policy on returns and exchanges? I'm so bummed, I've only taken the unit out once. This is so not cool. Any info at all would help the panic thanks.

Most warranties don't cover damage due to operator clumsiness. They're meant to cover manufacturing defects, not "oops, I dropped it."

Check your homeowner's/renter's insurance and/or the credit card the unit was purchased with. Some credit cards offer accidental damage replacement coverage.

Wow! It busted from that? That sounds like a defect to me or maybe Delorme GPSs just are not made well. I have dropped all my Garmin's much worse than that and it never hurt any of my Garmins. I even dropped a Garmin off my bike onto a paved bike trail with no damage. I fell on my Colorado and it's screen hit a big rock. The invisibleshield screen protector was scratched but it repaired itself by the next day. Maybe you should get a Garmin. They are known to fix GPS when they are not under warranty.

Yep, Delorme's customer service is really good but I don't think anybody's gonna cover a unit being dropped. I doubt home owners will cover it either. I had a boo boo a few years back while moving and wiped out my $1200 TV. Insurance agent said sorry but dopping your TV set is your problem.

Wow! It busted from that? That sounds like a defect to me or maybe Delorme GPSs just are not made well. I have dropped all my Garmin's much worse than that and it never hurt any of my Garmins. I even dropped a Garmin off my bike onto a paved bike trail with no damage. I fell on my Colorado and it's screen hit a big rock. The invisibleshield screen protector was scratched but it repaired itself by the next day. Maybe you should get a Garmin. They are known to fix GPS when they are not under warranty.

I think that may be somewhat presumptuous, considering she's not even had an opportunity to call tech.

support yet, . . . don't you? Sometimes the toast lands butter up, sometimes it lands butter down, sometimes

on carpet, sometimes on linoleum, funny guy that Murphy! We have a quote from a retired engineer on my

RR, one that will always ring true : "Ya never know . . .", it's called the 'George Rule'. I'm reminded of ol' George

nearly every day, because there's always somethin' that just doesn't go as expected, about 50/50 good to bad . . .

"Ya never know . . ."! Mom O'4, call tech and see what they say, can't hurt to try.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

And I fell on a trail a month ago and smacked my PN-40 pretty hard on solid rock yet it didn't skip a beat. So much for that argument.

By the way Myotis, thanks for the files. Ive been able to load some of your trails to my PN-40 so it seems like your conversion works fine. Can you write up a tutorial in how you did it? I'm sure a lot of Delorme users would like to convert some of those files at gpsfiledepot.com

I used ExpertGPS with the GIS pack which costs about $100 to seperate out the various types of lines in the file. The actual trail map has lots more in it than the trails. But I am told delorme cannot seperate they out so they have to be seperate to import. I was hoping somoene could find a free software tool that could seperate out the various types of lines in the file. But this is not going to let you use stuff posted on gpsfile depot generally. This will work for a Garmin trail map like I make, but not much more. While possible, I do not think there is any realistic way to extract the trails from the state maps on gpsfiledepot.

What's up with KS? Don't they beleive in GIS data? I tried a couple of times to make a trail map for KS but I could not find any data to make a map out of.

...We have a quote from a retired engineer on my

RR, one that will always ring true : "Ya never know . . .", it's called the 'George Rule'. I'm reminded of ol' George

nearly every day, because there's always somethin' that just doesn't go as expected, about 50/50 good to bad . . .

"Ya never know . . ."! Mom O'4, call tech and see what they say, can't hurt to try.

Norm

"Ya never know..." is right. My eXplorist's display got damaged as a result of my own negligence, resulting in a solid line of pixels going across the otherwise functioning screen. Even though it was my fault the GPSr went off the roof of my car and got run over by another, I thought I would call Magellan to see what could be done. I owned up to what happened. To my surprise, the much-maligned Magellan agreed to replace the screen under warranty. I was so surprised I asked the customer service rep if she was sure the warranty would cover it and she said yes. So "ya never know."

I used ExpertGPS with the GIS pack which costs about $100 to seperate out the various types of lines in the file. The actual trail map has lots more in it than the trails. But I am told delorme cannot seperate they out so they have to be seperate to import. I was hoping somoene could find a free software tool that could seperate out the various types of lines in the file. But this is not going to let you use stuff posted on gpsfile depot generally. This will work for a Garmin trail map like I make, but not much more. While possible, I do not think there is any realistic way to extract the trails from the state maps on gpsfiledepot.

What's up with KS? Don't they beleive in GIS data? I tried a couple of times to make a trail map for KS but I could not find any data to make a map out of.

I'm not sure about the rest of the state but there are trails in Johnson County in KS. Here is the link to the FREE data for the bike routes and trails and some other data.

Hey all. Thanks for the comments and advice. Called Tech. They quoted 40 plus shipping to repair the screen. Team Delorme has emailed me though, so maybe we can end this thing with better results than the afore mentioned forty. Either way I will let you know. Thanks Again.

Cheap at the price.

No kidding. I'd pay that plus shipping and call it good.

Just got a new delorme 20 for Christmas. Received it the first week of January. Dropped it while trying to juggle the usb cord, topo discs and unit in front of the pc tonight. The screen busted and splintered.

I really like the looks of the Delorme pn-20/pn-40 models and have been reading about them since the pn-20 first came out. From all that I have read over that time it seems that these units to indeed have more fragile screens than some other models out there.

Do a quick google search you will find that there are quite a few other people who have had the exact same thing happen shortly after getting their new delorme gps.

I'm still interested in the PN-40, but would hate to loose any of the durability that any of my past gps units have had.

Just got a new delorme 20 for Christmas. Received it the first week of January. Dropped it while trying to juggle the usb cord, topo discs and unit in front of the pc tonight. The screen busted and splintered.

I really like the looks of the Delorme pn-20/pn-40 models and have been reading about them since the pn-20 first came out. From all that I have read over that time it seems that these units to indeed have more fragile screens than some other models out there.

Do a quick google search you will find that there are quite a few other people who have had the exact same thing happen shortly after getting their new delorme gps.

I'm still interested in the PN-40, but would hate to loose any of the durability that any of my past gps units have had.

I did a quick google search on "broken screen" for various GPS models. Here are the reported hits from Google

DeLorme 3,580

Garmin 56,400

Magellan 21,700

I am not sure I would have drawn the same conclusion as you did.

LCD screens will break if you drop them just right. That is just the nature of the beast. The fact that DeLorme is willing to repair the unit is commendable.

And I have had a PN-20 for over a year now. Have dropped it a few times and fortunately everything is still in good working order.

Hey all. Thanks for the comments and advice. Called Tech. They quoted 40 plus shipping to repair the screen. Team Delorme has emailed me though, so maybe we can end this thing with better results than the afore mentioned forty. Either way I will let you know. Thanks Again.

Cheap at the price.

Imagine what it would have cost had it been an Oregon with that huge touch screen.

DeLorme 3,580

Garmin 56,400

Magellan 21,700

I am not sure I would have drawn the same conclusion as you did.

the joy of numbers is that out of context they mean everything and nothing.

bryan

Yep those numbers don't really tell you anything particulalry when you consider how many more Garmins there are than Delormoe and Magellan. Also look at the google results for Garmin, they are for mostly the Nuvi which is not designed to be treated roughly. The CO, OR, 60CSX are made to take rough treatment and is another reason why they Are superiour to Delorome.

Truth be told, if you do a refined search the numbers drop even more. Most of those hits are based on repeat phrases in the same thread about the same unit. In essence the numbers truly mean nothing when put in the proper context and your assertion the Garmin units are more superior for it becomes baseless.

Edited by TotemLake

You sideswipe the mailbox with your brand new car. Would you expect the dealer to fix the damage under warranty?

I can't say enough about Garmin as far as how rugged they are. Mine came off the bike in West Memphis, AR on I-40 going 70MPH and I was begging that a car wouldn't hit it as I stopped and went back to get it. Fortunately, none did and I plugged it back into its cradle and works today even though the case is scarred up.

I think one lesson can be drawn from those numbers for any GPS unit. Quit dropping it on the face.

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this!

Doc: Then quit doing that.

Duh.

10-4, TL, my nephew let go of my PN-20 when he slipped and fell going up a lava fall looking for a cache. IIRC, the screen was intact but two buttons got chipped. However, it was still totally functional, but I wanted to get it fixed and the charge was the same as that quoted for Mom...., about $40, and it was back withing a week.

So it might be that that is kind of a "one size fits all" charge by DeLorme.

But now I glued some feathers on it facing up so it will land on its back after a fall. :D

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I think one lesson can be drawn from those numbers for any GPS unit. Quit dropping it on the face.

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this!

Doc: Then quit doing that.

Duh.

10-4, TL, my nephew let go of my PN-20 when he slipped and fell going up a lava fall looking for a cache. IIRC, the screen was intact but two buttons got chipped. However, it was still totally functional, but I wanted to get it fixed and the charge was the same as that quoted for Mom...., about $40, and it was back withing a week.

So it might be that that is kind of a "one size fits all" charge by DeLorme.

But now I glued some feathers on it facing up so it will land on its back after a fall. :D

You could always smear peanut butter on the backside. :D It'll keep your GPS from looking like it belongs in a badminton game. :D