FOR SALE: snoboardz geocoin

snoboardz

I have taken the plunge and started the process of minting my first coin. It will be my personal geocoin and the first stage is complete. I had the artwork created by the very talented artist, Jennifer, of WicksWorksDesign and am now posting it here to get feedback from all of you.

The Groundspeak forums have been an indispensable source of information in helping me with the design of this coin. I owe all of you a big thank you.

snoboardz.gif

snoboardz2.gif

Let me know what you all think. I look forward to your opinions.

snoboardz

Edited by snoboardz

Great design and spectacular personal coin. The only advice that I would have is to have samples made first before you make the final plunge. Perhaps some of the experienced minters will disagree but I hate seeing a great design or art work and when the final product is put out it is not eye popping gorgeous like the artwork.

Great design and spectacular personal coin. The only advice that I would have is to have samples made first before you make the final plunge. Perhaps some of the experienced minters will disagree but I hate seeing a great design or art work and when the final product is put out it is not eye popping gorgeous like the artwork.

This would help you tell if you needed to adjust some of the shades of color to get a better result. It's a great looking coin!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. It's been exciting to say the least. Based on some feedback I have received I am now trying to decide what type of enamel I should use for the coin. I originally had thought that I would go with the soft enamel, giving the coin some texture but now I'm reconsidering my choice.

I was hoping I could get some more feedback from folks on both sides of the fence. Which enamel did you choose and what were your reasons for making that choice? Are you happy with the results, and why?

I think whichever enamel I choose I will be happy with the results. I just want the finished product to be as nice as possible. Thanks again for all of your advice and compliments.

I will be more than happy to trade coins with all interested traders. Based on the interest I have received from many of you wanting one of my coins who are not in a posistion to trade I will be happy to sell some of the coins at a very fair price. With regards to that, I really only want to make sure I cover my own costs associated with the minting and the price of shipping the coin to you. Once the coins are complete I will post a price for any interested buyers.

I am minting 250 coins and I will be minting in two, perhaps three different finishes. I am thinking Antique gold, nickel and satin silver. I would like to think that I will be able to trade close to 100 of the coins with other traders and keep 100 for placing into caches. That leaves approximately 50 coins that I would be willing to sell to interested buyers.

I'll continue to post the progress of the coin here as things develop.

Very nice personal coin. I agree that it will look good in antique nickel or satin silver. Antique gold is nice too but I think the nickel finishes will give it a more 'cold' feeling with the snow. You may even want to consider making a sample with glitter for the snow to see if you like that effect or not. I think the sides with mountains would be great in soft enamel fill and the snow boarding side in imitation hard enamel. But samples will give you an idea of which you like best. Great work!!

As I had mentioned the final design of my coin is complete. A few small adjustments were made to the front side of the coin before final approval and now I am awaiting samples in a combination of laminates and finishes.

Below is the before and after. I thought you might be interested.

BEFORE snoboardz-1.gif

AFTER snoboardzfinalcoindesign.gif

Good adjustment... the board looks much better in the 2nd version. :D

I'm an avid California skiier but I've also skied Colorado; love the tree skiing and terrain at the Jane (Winter Park).

Here in California, Mammoth Mountain has already been open for a few weeks and usually remains open through July 4th (I love spring skiing).

Anyway, this looks like a good coin to me! :D

The anticipation continues to build. I have received photo samples of my coin and am now awaiting shipment of the samples so I can look at them up and close and personal and make my final decision. I thought you guys might like to share in the excitement and get a look at the coins as well.

I'm leaning towards the satin nickel with the imitation hard enamel and I also like the antique nickel with the imitation hard enamel as well. Ok, the antique gold with the soft enamel has a unique look to it as well. I can't decide until I have them in hand.

I welcome your input and look forward to hearing which style(s) you guys like as well.

Antique Nickel Imitation Hard Enamel

SnowboardzcoinIHEantiquenickel-1-1.jpg

Antique Nickel Imitation Hard Enamel

SnowboardzcoinIHEantiquenickel-2.jpg

Satin Nickel Imitation Hard Enamel

SnowboardzcoinIHEsatinnickel-1-1.jpg

Satin Nickel Imitation Hard Enamel

SnowboardzcoinIHEsatinnickel-2.jpg

Antique Gold Soft Enamel

SnowboardzcoinSEantiquegold-2.jpg

Antique Gold Soft Enamel

SnowboardzcoinSEantiquegold-1-1.jpg

Nickel Soft Enamel

SnowboardzcoinSEnickel-1-1.jpg

Nickel Soft Enamel

SnowboardzcoinSEnickel-2.jpg

They all look great :D

My favorite one would be the Satin Nickel Hard Enamel (it really looks cool meaning cold) followed by the Nickel Soft Enamel. The Ant Nickel Hard Enamel is nice too. There is something special with the Gold one but I would not choose that one.

Finally I prefer the nickel finishes for that coin. You will have a hard time choosing them but, having the samples in hand will be very helpful. You'll have a better opinion then :D

Congratulations on your coin, I really like it!

By the way, we just had our first snow storm, 12 inches of white stuff. We may began skiing very soon :D

It's interesting to me. As I have sat here and stared at these coins tonight far longer than anyone should :D I have come to like the gold coin more and more. My reasons for coming to this conclusion is the rich history Colorado has with regards to the gold mining industry. The antique finish on the gold coin conjures up images of being up in the mountains panning for gold and you come across this geocoin in your goldpan, LOL. I know, I'm afraid I've been over exposed to coin contemplation this evening, forgive my ramblings.

SnowboardzcoinSEantiquegold-2.jpg

My snoboardz geocoins are in and available for trade. There are two versions of the coin.

The first is an antique gold finish with a soft enamel. SnowboardzcoinSEantiquegold-1-1.jpgSnowboardzcoinSEantiquegold-2.jpg

The second is a satin silver with an imitation hard enamel. SnowboardzcoinIHEsatinnickel-2.jpgSnowboardzcoinIHEsatinnickel-1-1.jpg

This is my personal coin and I wanted it to illustrate my love for snowboarding and geocahing, my two favorite sports. I also wanted to represent my home state of Colorado and the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

The front side is a snowboarder "catching air" as he rides his board down the mountain in search of a cache. There is a satellite in the sky above him with the mountains in the background. The text surrounding the outer edge of the coin says "Experience a higher state of Geocaching" and "Rocky Mountains, USA".

The backside is the Colorado state flag behind the snow covered peaks of the Rockies. The text surrounding the outer edge of the coins says "Colorful Colorado" which is the state slogan and "Trackable at Geocaching.com" with the tracking number engraved just above that.

These coins are unactivated and trackable and they do have thier own custom icon associated with them which will be displayed on the trackable items page of your www.geocaching.com account. The coin size is 1.75" diameter by 3mm thick.

These coins look and feel fantastic. I would like to extend a special thank you to Sharon of Hogwild for all of her hard work helping me make this coin a reality. A special thank you as well to Jennifer of Wicks Works Design for helping create the artwork on the coins.

For those of you who would still like a coin but do not have one available for trade I will be setting up a link on Ebay where the coins will be available for purchase in the very near future and I will repost when that link is available.

Edited by snoboardz

I believe I have gotten back to everyone who has emailed me. If I missed anyone please don't hesitate to send me another message. Before the coins go up for sale I wanted to offer all the traders out there first dibs at my coin. That being said I will probably wait until the beginning of next week before the coin becomes available for purchase. As I said before, I will repost when that happens. Thanks again for the interest in my coin and I'm looking forward to trading with so many of you.

All confirmed trades shipped this morning. This does not include anyone who I corresponded with today. I'm going to wait a few days and see if there are any more interested traders before I make another shipment. Thanks to all of you who have traded with me. This has been really fun so far.