Garmin 60CSx for $159

GeoBobC

Price went back up when I looked this afternoon after reading the post. I checked back a little later in the afternoon. Was back again at 159 and said hurry only 1 left. I didn't hesitate and got it! I have one already purchased several years ago at a much higher price and it's great. Hope to keep this one as a backup. I did as the original poster and bookmarked the link to make checking on the price easier. I think I just got lucky.

Its back, get one, I did!!!

60CSX

Woohoo, me too! (I wrote a script to check the price every 5 mins and text message me if it dropped) :-)

Thx for the heads up, OP!

W00T! Also, just got one... price didn't show on main amazon page, but showed source was target. Added to cart - $159... it still seems to be available at that price.

Price back up to $291.. thanks for playing!

Dang!!!!

I missed it again!

FWIW, I tried to buy two, thinking I could pass the 2nd to someone here, but it said only one was available, even though others were able to buy after I did.

Also, there is a website that will email you when prices change on an item and it does scan Amazon. It's Pricespider.com, however, it may not work for this as when I bought mine the Amazon page did not have a price listed like it normally would. I had to add to cart to see the price.

Best wishes for those still trying.

It seems like there should be a bot that can check prices automatically and call or text your cell phone when a certain price is available.

Wellll... if you or someone you know knows UNIX (Linux, MacOSX, etc) and knows how to setup a 'crontab' .. just run this script from cron every 5 minutes. It will send an email to you when the price is under a certain threshold (Make sure to edit the email addresses to your own and/or your cell phone!)

This is the script I used.. got a text message this morning at 7:15 and jumped out of bed and purchased it. :-)

Script below:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

use LWP::Simple;

my $url = "http://www.amazon.com/60CSx/dp/B000CSOXTO/"; # Amazon item URL

my $threshold = 200; # Low price threshold

my $date = `date`;

chomp($date);

my $content = get $url;

die "Couldn't get URL" unless $content;

if ( $content =~ m/buyingPrices\[0\].*?(\d+.\d+);/ ) {

my $price = $1;

send_alert($price) if $price < $threshold;

}

sub send_alert {

my $price = shift;

open( MAIL, "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t " );

print MAIL "From: your\@email.com\n";

print MAIL "To: 8885551212\@tmomail.net\n";

print MAIL "Content-Type: text/plain\n";

print MAIL "Subject: Price Alert!\n\n";

print MAIL "$price";

close(MAIL);

}

Edited by tjf00420

It seems like there should be a bot that can check prices automatically and call or text your cell phone when a certain price is available.

Wellll... if you or someone you know knows UNIX (Linux, MacOSX, etc) and knows how to setup a 'crontab' .. just run this script from cron every 5 minutes. It will send an email to you when the price is under a certain threshold (Make sure to edit the email addresses to your own and/or your cell phone!)

This is the script I used.. got a text message this morning at 7:15 and jumped out of bed and purchased it. :-)

very cool!

I just can't believe. I am usually not lucky at this and this time I got one!!! WOW this is an incredible deal.

When I tried this morning it said that there was two available, tried to get them both (one would be for my in-law) and because I only have dial up I was only able to order one or maybe it was limited to one per person I dont know. But I got one...

Cant wait to get it. :angry:

Thanks for the OP to post the link.

For the others keep persisting, sooner or later you will strike out.

Good luck to all.

What the Frak??

How on earth does UPS need 12 days to ship a box from Pennsylvania to Maine?

I was _just_ questioning this myself. I received a shipping confirmation last night, and did the tracking on UPS this morning. I am noticing that the estimated delivery date is set by Amazon, and not by UPS (UPS doesn't have an estimated delivery date listed yet... they will as the pkg moves along the system)

I'm still stoked about the deal I got though and I can use my Nuvi 500 in the interim :-)

I really was back and forth with the Vista hcx/ 60csx debate and had decided on the Vista. But when this popped up one more time I pulled the triger......Now I am re reading all of the posts with the hopes of proving to myself that I got the right unit instead of reading them trying to make me want the vista!!!

Like many of you I want the Oregon....when its ready but I think either of these two units will be great until the new units are truely ready.

Like many of you I want the Oregon....when its ready but I think either of these two units will be great until the new units are truely ready.

I have the Oregon, and I agree with you (for the most part). I went "from" a 60CSx to a 400T, and there are a few things that I wish the Oregon did. I use (still) the Custom POIs in the CSx because it allows me to search and filter caches by type, and by search for "nearest containing" can even filter the caches IN the GPS according to cache size, so I am able to do additional filtering in the field. The Oregon can't do this with the caches that are loaded, but it CAN do it with the Custom POIs. Also, there is the question of waypoint averaging. CSx does it, Oregon doesn't. Not a huge issue, but I am a stickler about averaging coordinates when a cache is placed. I routinely use three or more units when placing a cache, so that's important to me. The last thing I wish the Oregon had is a screen like the 60 series units have that have a button to take me to the hint, the description, and the compass. It's a PAIN to go from the compass screen to the hint or description pages while on a hunt. I am sure this is something that will come, but no telling when.

The CSx is the more robust, more powerful unit for all around caching. If I were only to have ONE, it would be the CSx. The Oregon is my primary caching GPS tho, and when I need the more advanced features that only the CSx provides, it is always handy. Love them both.