Cache not being maintained....need email addy

tctwhite

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since my last post and I need some help. There is a very active travel bug hotel right down the road from me that the owner has done no maintenence on. It has been reported several times that it needs some help and nothing has happened in almost a year. There is a dead snake right by the container. Anyway, who do I contact and where? If it helps, Im in Ga. And if I have overlooked something I apologize in advance and thank you for your help. :rolleyes:

You could try contacting the owner but if he/she hasn't responded to NM logs you may not have much luck.

After that, you could either just perform some maintenance yourself to help out your fellow cachers or you could log an SBA and let your reviewer make the call.

Remove all TBs before logging a SBA. Transfer them to other caches.

If the maintenance needed is simple like wet log or torn ziplock then just take care of it. I do it quite often. If the container is damaged then think about fixing that that also.

Here are my thoughts on cache maintenance. Sometimes people get busy, real busy. The CO could have many things going on in life and they choose geocaching as the activity to currently ignore. We could all hammer on him and call him names, or we could just help out our fellow cachers. Some people are active in the hobby but their cache maintenance takes a back seat. On those occasions you can be a bit more stern.

I have been going through some of the caches in my area that seem to have been muggled months and month ago. I send the reviewer a email telling them about the cache and the fact that the last believable find was X months ago. The reviewers are pretty good about archiving caches that you point out are obviously not active anymore.

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since my last post and I need some help. There is a very active travel bug hotel right down the road from me that the owner has done no maintenence on. It has been reported several times that it needs some help and nothing has happened in almost a year. There is a dead snake right by the container. Anyway, who do I contact and where? If it helps, Im in Ga. And if I have overlooked something I apologize in advance and thank you for your help. :D

Why would a dead snake near the cache hide site be an issue that would require "maintenance" by the cache owner? Isn't a dead snake only a matter of concern for God and Mother Nature?

And, as others have likely already said, and as I (and others) have said in man previous threads, if the container heeds some minor TLC, such as a wet container that needs drying, or a logbook that needs replacing, or some junk swag such as a wad of chewing gum or broken McToys that need removing, why not just go ahead and do that yourself?

And, if you REALLY need to contact the cache owner, then you are free to visit their profile page at Groundspeak and send them an email or PM.

I am curious. The one Travel Bug Motel that you have found (or, at least, the only one listed as such) has no "Needs Maintenance" logs posted on it. What sort of maintenance does it require? Is the dead snake the problem? I've seen rattle snakes, several bear, large rats, homeless people, people (non-cachers, we hope) performing sexual acts, all near caches. IMHO, none of those would qualify as a reason for maintenance to be needed. What, in particular, is the problem with this cache?

I am curious. The one Travel Bug Motel that you have found (or, at least, the only one listed as such) has no "Needs Maintenance" logs posted on it. What sort of maintenance does it require? Is the dead snake the problem? I've seen rattle snakes, several bear, large rats, homeless people, people (non-cachers, we hope) performing sexual acts, all near caches. IMHO, none of those would qualify as a reason for maintenance to be needed. What, in particular, is the problem with this cache?

The OP has found a TB motel that has now been disabled by the reviewer because of needs maintenance logs and because the container is falling apart.

The OP has found a TB motel that has now been disabled by the reviewer because of needs maintenance logs and because the container is falling apart.

Ah. Okay. OP posted SBA. Reviewer disabled. OP did the right thing. That should take care of things.

Ah. Okay. OP posted SBA. Reviewer disabled. OP did the right thing. That should take care of things.

What does OP and SBA mean? I have been ccaching for a short while although I am still learning abbreviations and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

If you are up for it, I would help fix the cache, then e-mail the cache owner and let them know you fixed it. If it needs to be replaced however, it is up to the cacher owner to replace it, if the container it self needs to be replaced, and should be left for the owner to do.

A cache that is that active shouldn't be archived or disabled if it is still log able and there. If it just needs a new log, anyone could add a new log and I don't think the owner would mind.

Hope it helps.