Coventry event (TBC)

UKCacheMag

Hi folks,

Im planning an event for end of Jan thats all based within Coventry City Centre.

My thinking is to get people together about lunchtime and give each person one of THIRTY new caches im currently setting.

Each cache will have co-ordinates for the next one in it..... So people end up doing all thirty and will be bumping into cachers left right and centre. Then all meet up again for food and drink.

The caches will all be urban so high muggle factor.

Does that sound tempting?

A few points come to mind:

- Are there enough spots in Coventry city centre to place 30 caches each at least 0.1 miles from the other?

- Even if you can squeeze them in, be aware that you will need to demonstrate to the reviewers that these 30 caches are not a "power trail" as it's called. So they will need to have some distinguishing features between them.

- Also, they will need to be placed for a minimum of three months. Again, you need to demonstrate to the reviewers that you are willing and able to do this. A series of 30 caches, if they're mostly pretty easy, will become a pilgrimage destination, so expect to change some log books... and urban micros have a high attrition rate, so expect to chase up after DNFs too.

(There is a further restriction that "Events are not meant to be created just for an organised cache hunt", although that's meant to be to stop people claiming an extra smiley for a day out hunting existing caches, so you should be OK there if you place the emphasis on the meet-up.)

If each cache has the coords for the next one in it, won't you be creating a "conga" around Coventry?

It's likely you will end up 30 flashmob caches as we all follow each other around....30 joint FTF's ????

I assume that by arranging a lunchtime meet, this will be a weekend thing?

I agree with the previous post that you might find it tricky to place 30 caches around the city centre, especially if they aren't micros.

Until you have done the "pub sign" cache you won't know what areas are available.

The 38 (!) questions on that cache all appear to be "existing things", so they aren't preventing anyone placing a physical cache or multi stage within 0.1 mile of them. Just as well because the area inside the ring road (which I presume is "the centre of town") looks to be about 0.4 square miles. So the absolute theoretical maximum number of caches which can fit in there is 40, even if they were laid out precisely on a grid.

If each cache has the coords for the next one in it, won't you be creating a "conga" around Coventry?

It's likely you will end up 30 flashmob caches as we all follow each other around....30 joint FTF's ????

I assume that by arranging a lunchtime meet, this will be a weekend thing?

I agree with the previous post that you might find it tricky to place 30 caches around the city centre, especially if they aren't micros.

The plan is to give people different starting ponits...so they dont all do them all at same time.....will be fun trying to arrange the logistics.

I love it when a plan comes together lol

Until you have done the "pub sign" cache you won't know what areas are available.

The 38 (!) questions on that cache all appear to be "existing things", so they aren't preventing anyone placing a physical cache or multi stage within 0.1 mile of them.

What I meant was, there is a physical cache somewhere in the city centre, at the end of the 38 clues, which blocks out that area.

What I meant was, there is a physical cache somewhere in the city centre, at the end of the 38 clues, which blocks out that area.

Well, it would only block out 0.031 square miles, but it's true that that's a fair chunk of the available space. There's about a 95% chance that one of 30 caches in that area would bump into it and probably a 50% chance that 4 or 5 would.

DivingDJ, I think you probably need to scale your ambitions back a bit. Announce a meet-up in a pub and place half a dozen new caches around the area to spice things up. It's cool to imagine lots of people walking around following your cunning plan, but in practice things don't often work out like that and you could end up putting people off.

I don't think I'd go to an event where I was asked to go and do 30 odd urban caches... I'd rather go to an event and maybe pick up one or two.

I'm sure there are others that would like that kind of thing, but I think most cachers would prefer a stroll in the countryside!

It's outside of my radar, anyway, but it might be worth you doing a smaller type of event first to weigh up what it is that people would like.

I have been trying to run a PQ to check that dates for my event don't clash.

Im not having much luck with this. I have tried an advanced search, restricted to event cache and only bring up a very small number.

I am missing something obvious?

Create new query

Day to generate - leave blank untill you get the results you want!

Show me ??? Caches

Of -Selected types -Event Cache

That - is active

From -Co-ords

Radius ??? miles

Submit, and check cache page preview -If you're happy with the results select Day To Run and run!

??? There's around 59 within 300 miles.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Update on this for you all.

I now agree that 30 is going to be pretty impossible. I have set 6 today and will go back soon to set some more.

Now I have a dilema..... These are liklely to become muggled as they are all 350ml clip and lock continers. Two in particular are in very high risk areas.

Should I list them now or wait till the event? - Will check again on day of event to see that they are still ok.

I now agree that 30 is going to be pretty impossible. I have set 6 today and will go back soon to set some more.

Now I have a dilema..... These are liklely to become muggled as they are all 350ml clip and lock continers. Two in particular are in very high risk areas.

Should I list them now or wait till the event? - Will check again on day of event to see that they are still ok.

Should you list them at all if, as you say, they are "likely to become muggled" and "two are in very high risk areas"? Please bear in mind that as these are containers, in a city, then visiting cachers will no doubt want to drop off TBs and geocoins into them at some point. If they are really at risk then it would be better just to put out micros IMHO. I know you're trying not to be accused of 'micro spew', or whatever the current phrase is, but please think about what the future of your caches (and their possible contents) is likely to be.

MrsB :unsure:

Edited by The Blorenges

Why on earth would you wish to put out a cache that in your own words is 'likely to be muggled'?

A Cache is supposed to have a permanence of at least 3 months, which by implication means that it is not placed where a Muggle is 'likely' to find it.

Getting Muggled is a risk a cache owner is supposed to mitigate against by careful placement; not just put it out and hope for the best!

You should select a container size that reflects the circumstances of the location... :unsure:

Sorry, me again.....

Im just trying to understand something in my own mind.

I have submitted the event cache for reviewing. Do I set the date palced as the event date? I guess as this is not till Feb will appear further down the list of caches wating to be approved, so could take a bit longer?

Sorry, me again.....

Im just trying to understand something in my own mind.

I have submitted the event cache for reviewing. Do I set the date palced as the event date? I guess as this is not till Feb will appear further down the list of caches wating to be approved, so could take a bit longer?

Yes, set the 'date placed' to show the actual date of the event taking place. (Be wary of the American-style date setting).

Once you've clicked the Report New Listing button and sent it through to the Reviewers it will be treated the same as any other cache awaiting review. You should get a response (i.e. It will be published, or the reviewer will get back to you if he needs to check any details) within 72 hours.

MrsB

Sorry to keep bumping this - its not aimed at cheap plugging.

I have just had my listing held back as they say its more about an organised cache than the meeting of other cachers.

So I will list the caches in the next few weeks so they are not seen to be held for event. Watch this space.....Keep your eye on Coventry

Well the event has been approved - there are a load of caches that have been released and are now live as the "Sent2Cov" series.

If your looking to come and meet some cachers in a nice warm pub this weekend - instead or trapsing around wet and muddy fileds then I look forward to seeing you.

Thanks for all the comments about setting this up. Hope you get to enjoy it.

Event is the Coventry Chinwag - but guess im proabably not allowed to plug it so sorry.