Best 2008 Event Geocoin

PLnauta

2. Best event geocoin

(geocoins produced for an event)

Events are one of the most interesting concepts of this thing called geocaching. I guess that everyone attended at least one. If you don’t, please do … :D

My choice for this category is :

Avroair’s 888 Circular Infinity Event geocoins

You can follow the story behind this coin here, explained by avroair himself

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=196560&hl=

This event has some really great features and the most important and relevant to me – the existence of a Portuguese version ;) (thanks Alberto for working this out). But the simbology of the day is quite well depicted in the coin. A really nice drawing.

2866c4e4-f8a2-4b3f-bb43-fe4f5438a4eb.jpg

This is a personal view, there are enough space for individual appreciation of our geocoins. Feel free to add to this post your comments and specially your choice .

Paulo aka PLnauta

Our guess would have to be the Alagany state Park event coin which we have never ever attended yet but plan on attending one this year. We are excited and cant wait. They always make very nice coins for their event. We have a owl and the Racoon one and they are so beautiful. These are the best yet event coins we have seen and have in our collection.

Our guess would have to be the Allegany State Park event coin which we have never ever attended yet but plan on attending one this year. We are excited and cant wait. They always make very nice coins for their event. We have a owl and the Racoon one and they are so beautiful. These are the best yet event coins we have seen and have in our collection.

ASP08coinfrontfinal.jpg

I thought the WWFMIII was a bit too blingy at first ~ but it grew on me.

Especially enjoyed this brief event, knowing we were the first in the world and so many others were also "eventing" that day ~ we could not be at the exact time as the others, as that would have been bedtime for most here!

A real bling coin! Reflecting the "Flash" of the event

0d7d9709-40f3-438c-a51b-4cb281240d87.jpg

Our guess would have to be the Allegany State Park event coin which we have never ever attended yet but plan on attending one this year. We are excited and cant wait. They always make very nice coins for their event. We have a owl and the Racoon one and they are so beautiful. These are the best yet event coins we have seen and have in our collection.

ASP08coinfrontfinal.jpg

WOW this one makes me wish that i could attend Allegany's event this year. Beautifull geocoin ;)

PL

The Pirstes of Harriman Kraken Geocoin is one of my favorite coins for the year. Really impressive! Anybody got a pic they can post?

conceptreality2.jpg

I would like to say that there were alot of wonderful event coins that came out this year. This one is at the top of my list for a couple of reasons.

1. Design... Avroair did a great job and will have a hard time next year topping this one.

2. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this event.

With that being said I would have to say that this is my pick.

I worked on quite a few event coins this year! ;):D

Sopranos Hitman

Tiki Stomp ~ this is my personal favorite!

888 Circular Infinity

Pirates of Harriman V Kraken ~ great job by Mackey of executing an idea

I also attended some events where there were coins available (event or otherwise):

Caching Through the Snow V

GONE 4 (local event I actually missed)

Meet the Lackeys ~ MB4

And of course the grand daddy of them all:

Geocoinfest Pittsburgh! :(

Lots of nice event coins!! But, I think my favorite this year was the Maine Pirate Quest coin:

SG08MPQ.jpg

Never even heard of or seen this coin before, love the detail and the colours. Anyone got one for trade?

This was my second favorite event coin. It's a real beauty.

2. Best event geocoin

(geocoins produced for an event)

Events are one of the most interesting concepts of this thing called geocaching. I guess that everyone attended at least one. If you don’t, please do … :D

My choice for this category is :

Avroair’s 888 Circular Infinity Event geocoins

You can follow the story behind this coin here, explained by avroair himself

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=196560&hl=

This event has some really great features and the most important and relevant to me – the existence of a Portuguese version :( (thanks Alberto for working this out). But the simbology of the day is quite well depicted in the coin. A really nice drawing.

2866c4e4-f8a2-4b3f-bb43-fe4f5438a4eb.jpg

This is a personal view, there are enough space for individual appreciation of our geocoins. Feel free to add to this post your comments and specially your choice .

Paulo aka PLnauta

I had never seen these coins before...very beautiful, very well done!

That Pirate Quest Geocoin is a really nice coin.

But my nomination would be: Smokey Mountain Geoquest Geocoin. My Favorite is their first year (2006), but the 2007 is nice also. I have not attended this event yet, but I am signed up to participate for 2009.

f6688b46-998f-47c7-b4e6-23c760c5bc2a.jpg

0bd6fbd0-5aa9-427e-bffe-1388f602f118.jpg

Smokey Mountain Geoquest Geocoin 2008, we never seen one and would love to get one if there is any available?
That Pirate Quest Geocoin is a really nice coin.

But my nomination would be: Smokey Mountain Geoquest Geocoin. My Favorite is their first year (2006), but the 2007 is nice also. I have not attended this event yet, but I am signed up to participate for 2009.

f6688b46-998f-47c7-b4e6-23c760c5bc2a.jpg

0bd6fbd0-5aa9-427e-bffe-1388f602f118.jpg

Smokey Mountain Geoquest Geocoin 2008, we never seen one and would love to get one if there is any available?

The Smoky Mountain Geoquest will be held in April of 09. The event wasn't held in 08 but I have around 50 of the 07 coins if anyone is interested.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Lots of nice event coins!! But, I think my favorite this year was the Maine Pirate Quest coin:

SG08MPQ.jpg

Cache Maine (CM - which is really a team of two great people - yeah, I married them on 8/8/08 at 8:08PM) and I did an event together in 2007. That year we made a pin. We sold some and gave a bunch away. It was great fun.......and if you have one of these coins you might be interested to know.......the pin matches the MPQ (Maine Pirate Quest) logo on the back of the coin but does not have our caching names on it.

So this year, 2008, all of us, being avid coin collectors, wanted to do a coin. I am not a designer - but part of the CM team is and I could help with financiing. So - we decided we could do the venture. Next step - a coin company.

We, all, had been to GW5 and of course had seen a number of coins. One of the things we really admired were the little "buried treasures" under the translucents of some coins. Who was doing it - well, the company who finally did our coin came to mind.

Since I am not sure how cool it may be to post names - I will not. Most folks know, who the players are, as far as where the coins were sold. I will say without the guidance, encouragement and patience from Helen & Chris, this would not have happened.

Now - the story behind Maine Pirate Quest Event Coin - OR - is this a Personal Coin? Well, I guess, I call this a hybrid! It was done for and sold at our event........but it was not truely, purely, an event coin. Hence the PC tracking number. Both Cache Maine and I considered this our event coin AND a personal coin.

We had a couple of guidelines. We wanted a Unique Icon (the little MPQ logo) so we had to do 250 and we wanted to only mint the minimum. This coin, we hoped, would become one folks wanted and would be collectible.

It is the first coin ever minted in the shape of the State of Maine. Two of the three of us involved were born and brought up in Maine and wanted this to represent our state. The front with the ship, and thanks to our coin company friend, Chris, for fine tuning this.......is of course to represent someone setting course to our state or the event. Under the sea we tried for and I believe got the impression of waves.

The sky on the front of the coin was different, dependent upon the version. RE (satin gold - 150) has a sparkly sky......we hoped for the impression of a beautiful sparkly night sky. The LE (polished nickel - 70) had a plain night sky, but, the ship had glow in the dark sails. The XLE (polished gold - 20) also had a plain night sky with glow in the dark sails. Finally, our coin company allowed us (even though we had had the help of Chris) to mint very limited LE (black nickel - with polished nickel recessed sky on front - 10) with glow in the dark on the sails, polished nickel stars on the front and a polished nickel logo on the back.

Now - that AE....has a story, too! The original minting came through wrong with a BN logo on the back......it was redone correctly wth the polished nickel back - that story reflects there are 10 sets of these coins which were made. Each one with a Black Nickel logo and one with a Polished Nickel logo as a set. One of the team of Cache Maine was the original artist who perceived the ideas for this coin. They were fine tuned to perfection by Chris. Generously, Chris and Helen allowed Cache Maine to retain all the AE sets.

Ok - now the story on the back. Fairly simple - the logo had been used for our pin in 2007. Cache Maine and hollora producing............a cannon is on all pirate ships and hey, the little things under the blue are things under the sea.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the story of our "Event/Personal Coin" hybrid. We enjoyed producing it and hope everyone who owns one enjoys it.