background music to cache info sheet

bigdogsrule

Is it possible to add background music to a cache page on geocaching?

Thanks for any info.

Frnaces

Just from what I remember (no official links or anything), the ability to do so was removed in 2005 or 2006. The sound did stay though, but was lost if you ever edited your cache page for any reason. I'll bet they've stripped out all background music by now regardless if you ever edited the cache page or not, but I could be wrong.

Rest assured though, you'll never be able to add it today to a new or previously existing listing.

First reaction: Nooooo, this isn't MySpace! :D

Then I wondered if anyone on MySpace is a cacher. :unsure:

I too wondered at one time if there were many geocachers on MySpace. It turns out, strangely, that there are thousands, and likely tens of thousands, of geocachers on MySpace, and you can get some idea of the volume of geocaching members by doing a search within the site on terms such as "geocaching", and also for videos and groups devoted to geocaching.

As for the OP's question about background audio being allowed on geocache listing pages, the answer is no, and I am very glad that it is not allowed. I hate websites that attempt to auto-load sound files when you visit the page!

I too wondered at one time if there were many geocachers on MySpace. It turns out, strangely, that there are thousands, and likely tens of thousands, of geocachers on MySpace, and you can get some idea of the volume of geocaching members by doing a search within the site on terms such as "geocaching", and also for videos and groups devoted to geocaching.

Lots of us on FaceBook, including 3 groups by Groundspeak!

THANK YOU for your helpful and NON negative response! I never meant for a moment to force anyone to listen but simply want a way to use music in a CLUE. For heavens sake I can't believe the negative and UNIMAGINATIVE responses! Thanks for yours again! I had not thought to provide a link. I just need to know if it is legal to provide a link to a site that plays music....will have to figure that one out.

The music is crucial to a clue and nothing whatsoever to do with people having an easy listening experience (ugh) while viewing the page.

Anyway, if a person doesn't like music (and I mean classical as well as others) then you wouldn't want to do this cache anyway. It seems not to have occured to anyone that maybe somethign interesting was behind the question ..........I can assure you this will be a very amusing and interesting cache but you will probably have to listen to a link. Horrors. You might even hear something like Bach.

Sorry to be snotty but I certainly had not expected such negativity and was glad to read somethign helpful !

Bigdogsrule (and harps and flute and piano and ......)

THANK YOU for your helpful and NON negative response! I never meant for a moment to force anyone to listen but simply want a way to use music in a CLUE. For heavens sake I can't believe the negative and UNIMAGINATIVE responses! Thanks for yours again! I had not thought to provide a link. I just need to know if it is legal to provide a link to a site that plays music....will have to figure that one out.

The music is crucial to a clue and nothing whatsoever to do with people having an easy listening experience (ugh) while viewing the page.

Anyway, if a person doesn't like music (and I mean classical as well as others) then you wouldn't want to do this cache anyway. It seems not to have occured to anyone that maybe somethign interesting was behind the question ..........I can assure you this will be a very amusing and interesting cache but you will probably have to listen to a link. Horrors. You might even hear something like Bach.

Sorry to be snotty but I certainly had not expected such negativity and was glad to read somethign helpful !

You said background music, not a clue.

Is it possible to add background music to a cache page on geocaching?

Thanks for any info.

Frnaces

You did say background music. My knee jerk reaction is NOOOOO! The reason is because most people don't know or don't care to learn how to embed the music on the page so that it doesn't auto start and so that there is a control panel so that the music can be started, stopped, and the volume adjusted. Another reason is because very few people know how to edit audio files so that they are smaller and can be downloaded faster.

I don't like background images on cache pages or animated gifs. Music would be so... 90's.

Both my husband and I had MySpaces for a while. After my step-daughter fled, we deleted our accounts. MySpace is internet herpies. We're all on Facebook. The new look of Facebook sucks, but I'm getting used to it. I still like it better than MySpace.

But since you've changed what you meant from your OP, I would suggest posting lyrics as a clue, instead of linking to an audio file. This would allow deaf cachers to fully participate and no one would have to leave geocaching.com to get the information they need for a geocaching.com cache hide.

My two cents.

"Lighten up, Francis." You asked about adding "background music" not about a link to some music. Many remember cache pages with annoying sound files embedded on them. Things that auto start are just annoying and I agree with the ban. Now, adding a link or in some other way allowing the viewer to choose to listen or not is cool. At least that's my two cents worth.

"Lighten up, Francis." You asked about adding "background music" not about a link to some music. Many remember cache pages with annoying sound files embedded on them. Things that auto start are just annoying and I agree with the ban. Now, adding a link or in some other way allowing the viewer to choose to listen or not is cool. At least that's my two cents worth.

Gee GOF, and here I though you were never the "grumpy type" :anibad::ph34r::):D:D

Yeah, I agree with the ban, it was getting out of hand. I had another local cacher teach me how to do it, and then convince me that somehwere there might just be a jury that would convict me for causing a few heart attacks..................

Who? Me? Grumpy?

I assure you that my post was meant to be light hearted. Just a bit of "ribbing" if you will.

Extra points, though, if you can tell me what the first quote was from.

Stripes

"Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis. ... "

Can I trade points for a smilie? :)

Yes, the points can be redeemed for a smilie. They must be redeemed in person at our redemption center.

Sounds great, I will have to see how far it is, I'm coming up for a cache run to PA December 5-8 (or whatever date that Friday through Sunday is) and will see if my friends want to go that far... one wants to hit as many capitols as is possible so we'll be routing a circle through many states.

It wouldn't be the first cache I've gone over 500 miles out of the way to get! :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Only fair you know up front. This time of year it is much harder to reach. Too cold and too much water in the creek for that route. That leaves the approach from the top. Very steep. Rope is a good idea. If we got a hard freeze over the next few weeks it may not be accessible at all. The falls forms an ice barrier that makes it suicidal to approach. Lots of other great locations in the same park that are accessible all year.

Only fair you know up front. This time of year it is much harder to reach. Too cold and too much water in the creek for that route. That leaves the approach from the top. Very steep. Rope is a good idea. If we got a hard freeze over the next few weeks it may not be accessible at all. The falls forms an ice barrier that makes it suicidal to approach. Lots of other great locations in the same park that are accessible all year.

Otay, thanks... think we'll be skipping that one! Thanks for the heads-up, maybe when I go up next year to MA for the North Quabbin Reservoir event we'll hit it 'along the way'.

Amazing what 'along the way' comes to mean once you start geocaching!