Anyone been watching Railway Walks on BBC4?

GAZ

I've been following the series starring Julia Bradbury on her travels, and it was on the episode in Derbyshire that got me thinking......how many caches does she actually pass within grabbing distance? :)

She went through a tunnel, albeit with a "guide", as it's off limits to the general public, and as I had been watching that episode online, I paused it as she was coming out of the tunnel and fired up google earth......flippin walked right by one cache :) Found the cache in question, and compared the piccies on the cache page!

Just watched last weeks episode at Portland.....soooooo close to several caches!!!

Anyone else as sad as me?

I really enjoyed it, I wish I'd seen the others now!

I think there's one or two episodes left - they're repeated about 3 times each week, and being BBC4 will no doubt be repeated ad inifinitum. I keep turning over for the Wainwright walks listed on the guide, only to realise its a repeat of one we saw as a repeat 6 months ago. Same with QI too.

Maybe its just me, but this series hasn't been as good as the Wainwright series, though I did quite enjoy the peak district one. There's another Bradbury walks series on the way, doing the Coast to Coast - article in this months Cumbria magazine.

I really enjoyed it, I wish I'd seen the others now!

I think there's one or two episodes left - they're repeated about 3 times each week, and being BBC4 will no doubt be repeated ad inifinitum. I keep turning over for the Wainwright walks listed on the guide, only to realise its a repeat of one we saw as a repeat 6 months ago. Same with QI too.

Maybe its just me, but this series hasn't been as good as the Wainwright series, though I did quite enjoy the peak district one. There's another Bradbury walks series on the way, doing the Coast to Coast - article in this months Cumbria magazine.

Cheers for that, I'll keep an eye out for them.

I decided to research my local disused railways a couple of years ago when I started running out of local caches. I would recommend it to anyone . It's taken me to some pretty awesome places and some brilliant walks. As in most areas some track has been converted to cycle track, but it's the untouched stretches that I love.

I feel I understand my local industrial past, geography and geology to a much greater extent than I did. It's also turned up some good locations for caches. :D

Wye Valley & FoD Railways

I've only caught one myself, the Speyside one. I really enjoyed it, I wish I'd seen the others now!

Are there any episodes yet to be broadcasted?

And I did the same............straight on with memory map as soon as she mentioned where she was :D

Unfortunately my version of google earth isn't as good in Scotland, so heres the link for Aberlour

No caches are loaded like google earth, though :D

Edited to add...the link above is for maps.live.com....click on aerial, and you get as good, if not better than google earth...also in many places you can click on "birds eye".....MUCH better than google earth!

Edited by GAZ

I've been following the series starring Julia Bradbury on her travels, and it was on the episode in Derbyshire that got me thinking......how many caches does she actually pass within grabbing distance? :(

She went through a tunnel, albeit with a "guide", as it's off limits to the general public, and as I had been watching that episode online, I paused it as she was coming out of the tunnel and fired up google earth......flippin walked right by one cache :) Found the cache in question, and compared the piccies on the cache page!

Just watched last weeks episode at Portland.....soooooo close to several caches!!!

I certainly followed the routes on MM, does anybody know who actually owns the ground that these tracks cross, in the old days course it was the railways but when they closed all the lines did they sell the land or does it just sit there, just curious really, anybody know??

I've been following the series starring Julia Bradbury on her travels, and it was on the episode in Derbyshire that got me thinking......how many caches does she actually pass within grabbing distance? :(

Yes - us! We recognised that tunnel too - the cache is called "Tunnel's Mouth" and we've visited it twice! It's a lovely area - we'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting the Peak District. We spent the whole programme going, "there's a cache there!" at all the spots we recognised!