Paper copy of a coin ok?

BADD7

I found a coin yesterday that someone had just made a copy of the coin on paper, and laminated the paper. I had made a special trip to get this coin in the rain at night, and was dissapointed when I saw it. :) Then they wrote the code on another piece of paper and laminated it too. Is this kind of thing ok? I almost hate to pass it along, and dissapoint the next person that finds it. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks

I found a coin yesterday that someone had just made a copy of the coin on paper, and laminated the paper. I had made a special trip to get this coin in the rain at night, and was dissapointed when I saw it. :) Then they wrote the code on another piece of paper and laminated it too. Is this kind of thing ok? I almost hate to pass it along, and dissapoint the next person that finds it. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks

It has happened to me as well and I had travelled over 200 miles to get that coin.

What you have to remember is the owner may have had coins go missing before and if the coin is special to them in some way this may be the way they decide to share it with the world . Yes it's disapointing for those of us that like shiney coins to hold and look at but you can post a note on the cache page you drop it in to say it's a copy thereby warning the next person that comes looking.Everyone has their own reasons for what they do .

I hate finding paper coins especially if my kids are with me. If the coin page doesn't say its a paper replica, I always comment with something like: "found a paper replica of this coin would love to see the actual coin". If the coin page mentions that it's a replica, I might just log it or not even bother picking it up.

Thanks

You should definately pass it along. It belongs to someone else.

I have never sent out a paper copy of a coin, but I have no problem with someone else doing it. It is essentially a travel bug. There are no rules as to what can be sent out to travel, so I'll respect other people's property and move it along.

Many people do this because of the geocoins that go missing. It is still a trackable item, so keep it traveling. You still get the credit and the icon for moving it. There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of this, and basically, most cachers would like to see the owners of these copies put "COPY" somewhere on the coin page so others will know it is a replica when searching them out. Oh, if only EVERYONE read these forums, then they'd all know how people feel, but alas, most never even come here. So most will never know how people feel. Some do read these forums, though, and have sent out some very well made, hefty, and nice, more sturdy copies that people don't mind moving at all.

You can use the search feature at the bottom left of these forums and search "Paper Copies" and you'll find a few threads about it. Here, here, and here, just to name a few.

I thought this was all about finding geocache's, nice to pick up a coin that needs to travel. But I think the coin concept has got way out of hand. I have over 250 Soldier coins out there and on my pages if it has traveled for a year I ask for it to be sent back so I can give it to the family member, Then I put out the proxy so the family can still see where he travels. The Soldiers page reads , The Original Coin goes to a family member of this soldier. After I had some of the soldiers memories stolen. I started In Jan putting out a proxy and give the tag to a family member at our events or mailing to family. If they will steal a soldiers memory coin tag they will steal any thing . I do have some in your area Badd7 , and it is up to you if you want to move the Soldier on his way . USA 45

Edited by USA 45

I recently had one of my coins go missing when the cache it was in was muggled. My plan for keeping the missing coins ghost moving is simple, I will attach a proxy card for the missing coin to an inexpensive trackable coin (ie. hogwild famous traveling geocoin, travel ingot etc.) that only cost a few dollars. That way when someone finds it they get to log both travelers and still get to see a shiny coin, not just a proxy card all by itself. I will explain the reason for the proxy card on both the card itself and on the coins page and use the word 'Proxy' in the coins name.

Thanks

At least you found something you can log a find or discovery for. Whether you move it along or leave it for the next player to deal with is up to you. But it sure beats getting to a cache with 3 geocoins listed and 2 travel bugs only to find there haven't been any travelers in residence for months!!! In case you hadn't guessed I feel a proxy is better than nothing.

I understand why this is done too, but I don't like it either.

Geez, you don't even get to hold or look at a shiny coin, just a piece of laminated paper...kind of a disappointing find : (

Thought it was kind of funny that someone put one of them in the "room 266" cache at the GCF considering it was a geocoin event lol

Yes it has happened to me also.And it disapoints me also.To discover a coin i think that you should actually be able to touch and see the actual coin,not a piece of paper.If the coin has came up missing then i know it sucks,but it also sucks to discover a piece of paper rather that the coin that you were all anxious to go see.

Keep in mind that with the rampant theft of geocoins lately that a coin may have been traveling in the flesh originally and replaced later with a proxy after it was stolen. It's a courtesy to mark it as a "proxy", but no different than a regular TB being stolen and replaced later with it's backup tag. It may not be the original, but someone still spent their hard earned money to put a traveler out for the rest of us to enjoy. :D

I don't mind the laminated paper copies.

I don't go to a cache for a coin, I want to go caching and then check the box for travelers...

Two weeks ago I found a aluminium advertising coin from some sports event, which had a number hammered into it. Logging it at home I realized, that the number belonged to a Finland coin.

What a great way to send a copy out in the wild...

With so many coins stolen, I'm not surprised that more and more proxies are sent traveling.

That being said, all my travelings coins are real coins. And from my more that 50 travelers I had around 8 or 10 missing...

I myself like to place real coins, BUT I totally agree with placing a laminated pic of the coin insted. When I buy a coin I pay for the tracking code on it as well, I feel I can put that tracking code on ANYTHING I wish since it is my property.

People in this area mostly want the icon, this is something that has started here, and it cuts down on LOST or STOLEN coins.

So you got 2 sides of an issue, I like both but I support laminated codes as well.

Thanks

At least you found something you can log a find or discovery for. Whether you move it along or leave it for the next player to deal with is up to you. But it sure beats getting to a cache with 3 geocoins listed and 2 travel bugs only to find there haven't been any travelers in residence for months!!! In case you hadn't guessed I feel a proxy is better than nothing.

HERE HERE!

It is really bad in my area.

So bad that I dont go fo a cache specifically because of the traveler. 90% chance it will be empty.