For crying out loud, there are rules - just follow them

scottpa100

You know when the police tell you to do something, you might not agree, you might disagree with the law / rule / by-law / issue that the police have with you, but you do it. Or you should do. And if you do - the police let you do your thing and you can go on your merry way.

When the rule makers (courts, police or a legitimate company) tell you that you need to do something in a certain way, just accept it. Work with the rules, work with the people who are enforcing the rules, and it will all come together.

Debating it, getting people's backs up and generally berating the reviewers who put in their free time to help us to waste our free time, they are not the people to be goading or debating with. Just accept their advice at face value and move on.

I agree with "no goading". But, "no debating"? ;)

I'm sure that our excellent reviewers and moderators are quite capable of putting down any debates that get out of hand. Just like any other forum, there are going to be "nice" threads and ones that are more tricky. A lively forum will have all types of discussion going on, and the mods will have their decisions questioned on a regular basis. That's healthy.

Encouraging people to desist from debates is just a good way of killing the forum, as you'll only end up with the few people that don't really care all that much.

I have no problems at all with our UK reviewers, in fact I have always found them to be very helpful on the occasions where I needed guidence.

If the reviewers had a problem with any comments I am sure that they would have said so.

Also must agree with 'Happy Humphrey' that encouraging posters to desist from healthy debate will kill the Forum but slanging type matches should (or must) be refrained from.

Edited by DrDick&Vick
For crying out loud, there are rules - just follow them, Then it will all be so much more peaceful...

That's all well and good if you know what the rules are!!! I'm getting really peed off with all the 'new' and 'unwritten' rules and regulations that are being imposed on the us by our UK reviewers. Just what gives them the right to make up new rules as they go along? Rules that aren't mentioned anywhere on the Groundspeak site and impose them on us. I once had great respect for our reviewers but now that's wearing a bit thin. Personally, I think they're getting just too big for their boots and are fast becoming nothing more than a bunch of irritating little 'jobsworths' hell bent on spoiling something I once enjoyed doing.

Come back Mr Lactodorum and Mr Eckington... all is forgiven!

For crying out loud, there are rules - just follow them, Then it will all be so much more peaceful...

Personally, I think they're getting just too big for their boots and are fast becoming nothing more than a bunch of irritating little 'jobsworths' hell bent on spoiling something I once enjoyed doing.

Ouch! That's a bit harsh (understatement). They are volunteers, and have the support of 99% of cachers. I wish the irritating few who seem to give them a hard time here in the forums would move along and try another listing site as they don't seem to like this one as it is.

That's all well and good if you know what the rules are!!! I'm getting really peed off with all the 'new' and 'unwritten' rules and regulations that are being imposed on the us by our UK reviewers. Just what gives them the right to make up new rules as they go along? Rules that aren't mentioned anywhere on the Groundspeak site and impose them on us. I once had great respect for our reviewers but now that's wearing a bit thin. Personally, I think they're getting just too big for their boots and are fast becoming nothing more than a bunch of irritating little 'jobsworths' hell bent on spoiling something I once enjoyed doing.

Come back Mr Lactodorum and Mr Eckington... all is forgiven!

Back in the "Good old days" smoking was sociably acceptable - hell, British Airways used to hand fags out free in Club Class, (sorry "Business Class", as it then was - age showing).

Times change.......... .

Edited by Lost in Space

Personally, I think they're getting just too big for their boots and are fast becoming nothing more than a bunch of irritating little 'jobsworths' hell bent on spoiling something I once enjoyed doing.

Ouch! That's a bit harsh (understatement). They are volunteers, and have the support of 99% of cachers. I wish the irritating few who seem to give them a hard time here in the forums would move along and try another listing site as they don't seem to like this one as it is.

I for one do not post here very often, though I do look here most days just to keep in touch with what is going on 'at home', since we'll be back in 2 years.

I do get the feeling (no evidence to back it up) that the UK forums are less used these days.

Now this could be because some people have moved their comments to the GAGB Forums where they feel they are less restricted in what they say...

it could be something to do with the time of year and weather, meaning people were less inclined to be 'forum wandering' and were actually out hunting boxes...

or, it could be that the great majority have just got tired of the petty bickering and decided to leave the minority to get on with it...

Anyone else care to suggest any reasons?

I for one have certainly refrained from some posts, just because I know that certain elements would be bound to twist it to a different agenda, take one particular word or phrase and make a complete issue of it.

We must not lose sight of the fact that the forums are inhabited by a tiny minority of cachers and it worries me that the actual percentage is probably decreasing due to this (seemingly) continual bickering.

Now I'll sit back and wait for this posting to be pulled to pieces... :)

btpub103.jpg

And if we didn't have rules where would we be :) ?

French!

I support the reviewers. I just wish there was more consistency, transparency and reliability. I've not called for anyone to jack in what is, more often than not, a thankless task these days- their time is given freely to help UK cachers. And it can't be easy as there are a lot of rules to check aren't being broken now...

...... as there are a lot of rules to check aren't being broken now...
Low blow..........
But an accurate one. Hey, they're not my rules, or their rules; they're Groundspeak's rules. I meant they're in the unenviable situation of being between the expectations of UK cachers and the seemingly Draconian machine Groundspeak has become. It wasn't a pop at the UK reviewers at all.

When the rule makers (courts, police or a legitimate company) tell you that you need to do something in a certain way, just accept it. Work with the rules, work with the people who are enforcing the rules, and it will all come together.

and in a healthy society if you think the rules are wrong you debate them, you propose alternatives and after discussions the majority view is often accepted. Only in certain systems are you expected to blindly accept what you are told is best for you.

That's one of the purposes of this forum. When I was moderating it I did not always agree with what was being said but I hope I let everyone have their say. I hope and trust this approach can continue.

You know when the police tell you to do something, you might not agree, you might disagree with the law / rule / by-law / issue that the police have with you, but you do it. Or you should do. And if you do - the police let you do your thing and you can go on your merry way.

Debating it, getting people's backs up and generally berating the reviewers who put in their free time to help us to waste our free time, they are not the people to be goading or debating with. Just accept their advice at face value and move on.

So you never speed.....never use your phone whilst driving.......never drop litter......never stretch the rules???? :)

so whats the point of this thread if your not opening another wormhole :rolleyes:

Jon

so whats the point of this thread if your not opening another wormhole :blink:

Jon

Nope - not a wormhole. I could see that reviewers were just getting a really hard time and they needed support by us lot adhering to rules. And in the week away, I see they've resigned. I'll stick to caching rather than foruming.

perhaps scottpa100 all would be ok with the reviewers if you hadnt selfishly gone away for a week!! :blink:

Thanks for mentioning caching it has been all to easy to forget that is what we are all here for.

Back on thread.There arnt that many rules!! 1 find somewhere nice. 2 Place cache 3 wait for reviewer to say thats all cool!!(which normaly takes about 12 hrs .thank you reviewers) 4 wait for cachers to find it and paste TFTC on every cache that day!!.Job done. :(

I will leave it to the blue touch paper posters to have an indepth debate. I will just try and have fun in the rain in a field up to me knees in cow .........

Right keyboard down wellys on lets go caching.(well its a little cold...maybe later) ;)

Nope - not a wormhole. I could see that reviewers were just getting a really hard time and they needed support by us lot adhering to rules. And in the week away, I see they've resigned. I'll stick to caching rather than foruming.

No reviewers have resigned. One moderator resigned because reviewers were being criticised on the forums and the other resigned because he didn't fancy being left on his own doing the moderating job.

I'll stick to caching rather than foruming.

Me too.... I'm avoiding the forums (booth of them) where possible (apart from emails alerting me to replies to posts I've posted to) and focussing on caching again. I've realised I'm getting very little from the forums these days and I'd got into a habit of clicking on these forums far too often "just cuz".