Oregon Car Power Adapater

I bought the car adapter to power my Oregon in the car. However it seems that the bit that fits into the GPSr is the wrong way round and therefore soes not make a very good connection.

Has anybody else had this problem and does anybody know how to fix it please?

I have not put too many details here because I don't really know how to explain the problem but somebody who has seen it before will know what I mean.

Thanks

I picked up a USB car charger for $8 at a PX (Post Exchange). I think Walmart sells them, too. All you need is a charger with a USB-mini connector- I think the package was labeled as being for a Nokia phone, but the voltage is supposed to be standard across all USB devices and it works fine with the Colorado or 60CS.

Almost any USB charger will work on the Oregon if it has a standard straight (vs. right angle) mini-USB end. With most third party adapters you will probably need to set your interface to Garmin Spanner mode so the unit doesn't jump into mass storage mode automatically.

As for the Garmin Colorado and Oregon adapters you need to be careful. The original Colorado cable that came with the Colorado auto kit doesn't fit well because it is a right angle mini-USB which interferes with the Oregon case. I believe if you buy the Oregon auto kit 010-10851-10 or auto cable 010-10851-11 it will work in both the Colorado and Oregon -- same right angle mini-USB but it is longer than the original Colorado cable so it doesn't hit the Oregon case. Over the summer Garmin (or some resellers) were selling the Colorado cable as the 010-10851-11 Oregon cable and many people reported problems. As of last week people were able to buy the 010-10851-11 cable from GPSCity and it worked in the Oregon with no problems.

http://www.gpscity.com/topsearch-010-10851-11/c=all

More details here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power#toc7

GO$Rs

Also note that the Garmin cables are NOT normal USB cables.... They have one pin grounded so that the unit knows it is a power cable and not a computer cable. This forces it to stay in GPS mode. If you plug in a normal USB cable it will prompt you (every time) whether or not you want to go into mass storage mode or not, which is quite annoying.

Also note that the Garmin cables are NOT normal USB cables.... They have one pin grounded so that the unit knows it is a power cable and not a computer cable. This forces it to stay in GPS mode. If you plug in a normal USB cable it will prompt you (every time) whether or not you want to go into mass storage mode or not, which is quite annoying.

Any idea of which one is grounded (pin numbers etc) Red90?

mm

Not off the top of my head. Search, it is covered in a thread in these forums. The problem is that you need to open up the GPS end connector to get to the pins as normal USB cables don't have a wire to the pin in question. So you end up with a messy cable. It is just easier to suck it up and give money to Garmin...

Not off the top of my head. Search, it is covered in a thread in these forums. The problem is that you need to open up the GPS end connector to get to the pins as normal USB cables don't have a wire to the pin in question. So you end up with a messy cable. It is just easier to suck it up and give money to Garmin...

This is covered in the wiki, and yes, it's a messy hack. When looking at the end of the connector with the pins upright, 4 and 5 are the two rightmost pins. (leftmost in this image)

180px-Types-usb.svg.png

I tried this, and while it worked, I never could get the cable to fit back together very well. Now I use a different USB cable, and leave the GPS in Spanner mode. It only prompts you to enter mass storage mode the first time you hook up the USB cable after power on- after that, you can remove and connect the cable multiple times without being prompted to enter mass storage (at least this is the case with the CO). Now the only thing that bugs me is that there is no way to disable the "power off in 30 seconds" upon removing the USB cable.

Edited by DavidMac