Selling coins on ebay

Tooeygeotrashed

If everyone chooses to ignore the problem innocent people continue to be taken advantage of.

i started reading some of the bidding history on certain coins and on coins where i paid a little too much, and yes, it is very interesting. my interest in buying coins on ebay has changed drastically. i will no longer buy from certain sellers.

now that may be no big deal, but if enough people get wise to what is going on, then sellers that use shill bidding to inflate coin prices will lose more than they gain. it is pretty easy to figure out the "coded" name in the bidding history so i know who to watch for.

RedShoesGirl

RSG, I disagree. I have one buyer who has bought almost, if not all, of my TGF coins. If it wasn't a violation of privacy, I'd tell you his cacher ID so you could ask him. When I asked him after the third one, I was told buying more at a lower price makes the first one's overall cost less. Then he gives them away to kids. Do I question why this has been done, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that it's 100% legit and the person has money to burn.

Tooey, bottom line is you can suspect folks all you want. That's your right, but you honestly do not know with absolute certainty why someone bids/buys a certain way unless you ask every single bidder and buyer individually. And to be quite honest, it's really none of your business since it doesn't directly involve or effect you. I cannot stress enough just how incorrect you are about many of your suspicions, which have now trickled through the grapevine, btw. I also think many of the acusations you've made privately about several people are very slanderous in nature.

I hope everyone else is smart enough to think for themselves. Because this thread has done nothing but disgrace honest activities.

How can it not directly involve or affect me? I buy and sell on ebay, of course it directly affects me and everyone else who buys/ sells coins on ebay. This thread has done absolutely nothing to discredit honest activities and it is ridiculous to suggest it has. It has - I hope - made people aware that it can happen and as a result may just be a little more cautious when buying on ebay.

If everyone chooses to ignore the problem innocent people continue to be taken advantage of.

i started reading some of the bidding history on certain coins and on coins where i paid a little too much, and yes, it is very interesting. my interest in buying coins on ebay has changed drastically. i will no longer buy from certain sellers.

now that may be no big deal, but if enough people get wise to what is going on, then sellers that use shill bidding to inflate coin prices will lose more than they gain. it is pretty easy to figure out the "coded" name in the bidding history so i know who to watch for.

RedShoesGirl

RSG, I disagree. I have one buyer who has bought almost, if not all, of my TGF coins. If it wasn't a violation of privacy, I'd tell you his cacher ID so you could ask him. When I asked him after the third one, I was told buying more at a lower price makes the first one's overall cost less. Then he gives them away to kids. Do I question why this has been done, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that it's 100% legit and the person has money to burn.

Tooey, bottom line is you can suspect folks all you want. That's your right, but you honestly do not know with absolute certainty why someone bids/buys a certain way unless you ask every single bidder and buyer individually. And to be quite honest, it's really none of your business since it doesn't directly involve or effect you. I cannot stress enough just how incorrect you are about many of your suspicions, which have now trickled through the grapevine, btw. I also think many of the acusations you've made privately about several people are very slanderous in nature.

I hope everyone else is smart enough to think for themselves. Because this thread has done nothing but disgrace honest activities.

How can it not directly involve or affect me? I buy and sell on ebay, of course it directly affects me and everyone else who buys/ sells coins on ebay. This thread has done absolutely nothing to discredit honest activities and it is ridiculous to suggest it has. It has - I hope - made people aware that it can happen and as a result may just be a little more cautious when buying on ebay.

I'll say it again, accusing specific people of questionable practices with your suspicions or hunches, which you have done privately, is not being helpful. It is slander, wrong and disgraceful.

I'll say it again, accusing specific people of questionable practices with your suspicions or hunches, which you have done privately, is not being helpful. It is slander, wrong and disgraceful.

and unless you have proof of supposed private conversations, then all you are doing is spreading more rumours about buyers and sellers who are concerned about this activity which affects them personally.

i would think that all sellers would be happy to have this conversation out in the open and to have bidding history made public. truth protects the innocent.

questioning behaviour is not slander or libel. it is simply investigation into a practice that i did not even know existed until just a few days ago. however that investigation plays out is anyone's guess. to protect myself and my limited coin income, i am going to be more choosy from whom i buy. and i suppose i am not the only one. nothing wrong in that, is there?

rsg

and unless you have proof of supposed private conversations, then all you are doing is spreading more rumours about buyers and sellers who are concerned about this activity which affects them personally.

i would think that all sellers would be happy to have this conversation out in the open and to have bidding history made public. truth protects the innocent.

questioning behaviour is not slander or libel. it is simply investigation into a practice that i did not even know existed until just a few days ago. however that investigation plays out is anyone's guess. to protect myself and my limited coin income, i am going to be more choosy from whom i buy. and i suppose i am not the only one. nothing wrong in that, is there?

rsg

And we all know just how reliable the grapevine is don't we :laughing:

After this thread started I looked around a bit and found some bidding history that could be suspicious or could be completely legit. I have no way of knowing. I see this thread as being a head's up.......

Oooooh, so spreading rumors about specific people is a heads up? Not in my book.

I think you need to read that quote again. I clearly said that some of the bidding COULD BE suspicious OR COULD BE legit and that I don't know which it is. I do see this thread as a heads up. Several people had no idea that this practice existed so in that way they now know that it is there and the thread has served a positive purpose in that respect. I also think that we read different books.

While you are at it why don't you reread RSG's post again two posts above this one.

And we all know just how reliable the grapevine is don't we :laughing:

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. In fact if people have some actual facts and proof then they should step up and call these people out. I mean that is the purpose of this thread right? It is to protect the community correct? So it's basically put up or shut up time for everyone.

At this point though, I have yet to see anyone actually do anything to protect the community. Where's the names? Where's the proof? And let me be very clear...I am not asking for people to just call someone out because they think or feel someone is shill bidding. If you are going to make this accusation against someone, you better have your facts in check and be ready to back them up. GC's guidelines are pretty clear that you can say who is doing something as long as you don't make it a personal attack AND show the proof with it. So let's see some proof from all these investigations.

Better yet - if you have facts, take them to eBay and let them handle it.

I've seen nothing but suggestions, allegations and a lot of mention about what it being said privately.

Let's keep this discussion about general practices, not individuals unless there is clearly something going on that can be proven AND it's worthwhile to the coin community.

As it stands, this thread is bordering on being better suited for eBay rather than here.

We've seen recently that threads about a specific individual or company can be allowed if there are real issues to be discussed and shared - but let's not turn this into a witch hunt.

so what do we think about bidders' IDs kept private?

if you want your sales to be looked at as exemplary, with no hint of shill bidding, then why start hiding bidders names?

is that in the spirit of openess and above board? just asking, curious girl am i.

this belongs here and not e-bay because it is information that a small demographic needs, i.e. geocoin collectors.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

if you want your sales to be looked at as exemplary, with no hint of shill bidding, then why start hiding bidders names?

is that in the spirit of openess and above board? just asking, curious girl am i.

this belongs here and not e-bay because it is information that a small demographic needs, i.e. geocoin collectors.

rsg

I will no longer bid on an auction that doesn't keep my id private.

The last time that I did and lost, I received at least 5 emails offering me that coin at my bid. The only thing is, it was a charity auction for a mystery coin. I am pretty certain that none of the emailers even knew what the item was, much less really had the item.

rsg

The last time that I did and lost, I received at least 5 emails offering me that coin at my bid. The only thing is, it was a charity auction for a mystery coin. I am pretty certain that none of the emailers even knew what the item was, much less really had the item.

That's why I've changed my auctions to private auctions recently. I've also received emails after bidding on a geocoin and not winning it. The emails from different sellers all offered to sell me the geocoin even though I'm almost certain they didn't all have the coin to sell, as it was a mystery geocoin.

rsg

That's why I've changed my auctions to private auctions recently. I've also received emails after bidding on a geocoin and not winning it. The emails from different sellers all offered to sell me the geocoin even though I'm almost certain they didn't all have the coin to sell, as it was a mystery geocoin.

Sounds like spam to me or some sort of scam. I also think it's against ebay policy and report people who do it. I get a lot of offers to buy coins from third parties other than the person who was selling the coin. I don't usually do ID's kept private, but that is a good reason to start, if only to stop people from making illegal offers.

rsg

Having read on this board that people were receiving bogus 2nd chance offers I changed my auctions to private at the beginning of this year. I now have a much better success rate on 2nd chance offers since my buyers know that a 2nd chance offer on items I am selling can only have come from me.

My ebay id is dappyducks, and I am more than happy for anyone to report my id to ebay for closer scrutiny - which I am 100% confident will not show any suspicious buying or selling activities.

I thought once the IDs were changed to asterisks, the individual bidders couldn't be contacted any longer? I rarely get second chance offers from anyone other than the original sellers since that change went into effect this year. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

I haven't changed mine to private for the sole reason that it makes the listing look more suspicious, IMO. I rarely bid on private listings unless I know who the seller is for that very reason. Of course I never expected to be scrutinized or put into a position where I feel like I have to defend my activities either.

Edited by AtlantaGal

As an additional note, ALL auctions listed at ebay.uk are for the time being private.

I choose to list at ebay.com, since that is my target market. I also choose to retain the privacy of my bidders and buyers for reasons stated previously.

It is still possible to determine the bidding ratios, and where this is seen to be very high between sellers and buyers, both ways, it would seem to me that arranging to trade would be a much smarter thing to do, and far more economical - no listing fees, no final valuation fees and no paypal fees. But then if there are few actual purchases, then the economics of it does not really come into consideration.

I'll leave you all to think about it for yourselves !

I thought once the IDs were changed to asterisks, the individual bidders couldn't be contacted any longer? I rarely get second chance offers from anyone other than the original sellers since that change went into effect this year. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

I haven't changed mine to private for the sole reason that it makes the listing look more suspicious, IMO. I rarely bid on private listings unless I know who the seller is for that very reason. Of course I never expected to be scrutinized or put into a position where I feel like I have to defend my activities either.

I went to private auctions early this year too because of the same problem. People emailed me saying they were getting 2nd chance offers for a product I sold. I NEVER send 2nd chance offers (I've alos received 2nd chance offers from nonsellers). So, when I went to private auctions, the spam/scam emails stopped going out to people. It's good protection for the bidders and why do others need to know who is buying what? It's already obvious by this thread that everyone is checking up on everyone else's activities and that makes me cringe (too much loss of privacy and way off topic, so I'll quit now :laughing:)

It has been my experience as well that only the Auction Winner is listed on a non-private auction. It would be very difficult for someone to send a Second Chance offer to n***u (974)- Not a lot of information there, unless you want to check out all buyers feedback count

Actually I have bid on several private id ebay auctions. I don't enjoy letting everyone know the coins I am bidding on or what I am willing to pay for the particular coin. I also trust the person selling the coin that if they felt the bidding was inappropriate they would do something about it.

what if the person selling the coin is doing something inappropriate? i see another one of the sellers i like has gone private.

i am not going to bid on auctions that keeps the bidding secret.

to me that is not protecting the bidder but could be protecting an unethical seller. i have not gotten any spam second chance offers and i would rather put up with that small annoyance than check the bidding and find out i have been shafted by a shill bidder.

rsg

Can someone bid on my (trackable) coins on eBay and tell me if the auctions are private or not?? I cant tell :D:o

I didn't even realise there was a way to make them private - where can you make it private for your own auctions?

My last auction was private - but I am pretty certain I didn't make it that way :)

Yes people can actually be this vague and not be institutionalised...

Actually I have bid on several private id ebay auctions. I don't enjoy letting everyone know the coins I am bidding on or what I am willing to pay for the particular coin. I also trust the person selling the coin that if they felt the bidding was inappropriate they would do something about it.

what if the person selling the coin is doing something inappropriate? i see another one of the sellers i like has gone private.

to me that is not protecting the bidder but could be protecting an unethical seller. i have not gotten any spam second chance offers and i would rather put up with that small annoyance than check the bidding and find out i have been shafted by a shill bidder.

rsg

If you trust the seller than why would you not bid on a private geocoin auction? Based on the assumption that those of us who sell privately are possibly doing something unethical? Some of us have worked our butts off to create an atmosphere of trust and confidence as vendors and ebay sellers. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The past few days judging by the threads that have popped up have created quite the alarmist geocoin society. Seems geocoin vendors and ebay sellers outta be tied up and burned at the stake. Wait a second.... I hear knocking at the door. I see the glow of flames flickering and I hear angry shouts from people... if you don't hear from me in the morning, someone tell my family I love them and feed my dogs. :o

If I have 20 - 30 mins to kill, I go on ebay and find the cheap 99 cent listing and put in bids. I dont look who sells them, just trying to get a good deal.

As for bidding on auctions, I bid on coins I want, regardless who put it up. For example, I saw a delft coin on ebay. It was from someone I know but since I wanted the coin, I put a bid in. I still didnt win as it went for about $20 - $30 more than I was willing to pay at the time.

So yes, I bid on cheap coins when I can squeeze out a few extra mins and I buy from friends on ebay when they list a coin I want to add to my collection.

Hey all, haven't had the time to read through all the recent posts, but I saw it mentioned that changing auctions to private might keep bidders from getting false second chance offers? Is this true? Thanks in advance for any info on this, because I never want to see a repeat of the problem that arose over "Sherri's Coin" back in 2005. There was only ever ONE coin available, yet several of the closest bidders got false second chance offers. Man, did that steam us up. So, yeah, if private auctions absolutely prevent this, please let me know?

Hey all, haven't had the time to read through all the recent posts, but I saw it mentioned that changing auctions to private might keep bidders from getting false second chance offers? Is this true? Thanks in advance for any info on this, because I never want to see a repeat of the problem that arose over "Sherri's Coin" back in 2005. There was only ever ONE coin available, yet several of the closest bidders got false second chance offers. Man, did that steam us up. So, yeah, if private auctions absolutely prevent this, please let me know?

The change eBay made to the coded username for bidders earlier this year has eliminated the false second chance offer scams, which is why it was initiated in the first place. The only reason to have auctions listed privately is to hide all activity from nosey eyes with too much time on their hands or to do something unethical now.

I have yet to make the change to private personally because I always felt it was more suspicious to have my auctions listed that way than to leave them as they are now. However, due to recent accusations of fellow cachers who sell on eBay, I may have no choice but to switch to private listings in the future. Right now I am undecided.

You might want to take the time to read the comments in this thread Dave.

Edited for typos

Edited by AtlantaGal

Thanks for the info AG, and I will go through and catch up at some point. I'm still confused as to how scammers were able to get a person's email from their bid listing, and send those bogus second chance offers. I guess if someone really wants to rip someone off, they'll find a way. Regardless, I'm glad to hear it can't happen like before.

Thanks for the info AG, and I will go through and catch up at some point. I'm still confused as to how scammers were able to get a person's email from their bid listing, and send those bogus second chance offers. I guess if someone really wants to rip someone off, they'll find a way. Regardless, I'm glad to hear it can't happen like before.

Before the change was implemented, you could go to the bidders list and email each through their profile easily both during and after the auction. I suppose it could be done now, but you would have to know who 1***w is (as an example). It would involve quite a bit of research for the average joe.

Edited by AtlantaGal

If you trust the seller than why would you not bid on a private geocoin auction? Based on the assumption that those of us who sell privately are possibly doing something unethical?...

it only takes one sale, one valued seller to break that trust. and that is where i am after a couple of weeks. disheartening.

lara

You're right it is disheartening..... I'm going to turn the tables for a minute. As a seller/vendor who has done reservations, I have to trust each one of you to pay for your order when the coins come in. I pay for your (general) coins and trust that you will be honorable. Yet every time I run a reservation, there are always several people who don't pay and others I have to chase down. Yet, I continue to do reservations because it makes the majority of the people happy but it comes at a loss for me. Now, if I allowed the few people to dictate my actions and cause me distrust of everyone, then I wouldn't be doing reservations again because of a few people. So I should "throw the baby out with the bathwater"? Why is it ok for some of you to lump everyone in together because of a bad apple or two but when it comes to your wants and desires, the rest of us need to ignore how you are going about your ordering and/or bidding practices? (Again the 'your' is meant to be a general term.

If the majority of people on here are adopting the attitude of 'lumping everyone in together' because of a few people than I guess it will have to work both ways. Trust begets trust until it doesn't. I don't like what this thread has become and I'm seeing some true colors on here and double standards from a number of people. I'm not begrudging anyone their opinion because everyone's has validity but I'm starting to wonder if the effort is even worth it any more.

Anyone, at any time, can report an Item listed on eBay. If you scroll down to the bottom on the Auction page you will see a "report an item" link! If you truly feel something is amiss REPORT IT! I don't think you even have to be a bidder!

I would exercise a little discretion however, because I'm sure they have heard of the "boy that cried wolf".

If the majority of people on here are adopting the attitude of 'lumping everyone in together' because of a few people than I guess it will have to work both ways. Trust begets trust until it doesn't. I don't like what this thread has become and I'm seeing some true colors on here and double standards from a number of people. I'm not begrudging anyone their opinion because everyone's has validity but I'm starting to wonder if the effort is even worth it any more.

well that makes two of us. but i don't see the majority of people lumping everyone in together. actually the reverse. the only thing that is being said is watch the bidding, observe the prices, protect yourself.

that is good advice for anyone buying anything. do your homework as much as possible before spending hard-earned money.

you must find that it is profitable for you to stay in business, even with chasing people down to honor their comittments. i think that would be pretty horrific to have to do. but perhaps it is a cost of doing business? you have to do what works for you in this tiny little geocoin world.

as more and more sellers change to private bidders, will i continue to buy? as you asked from trusted sellers?

probably, i guess, maybe. but not from folks that have burned me in the past. whether one gets the short end of the stick for $12 or $112, the trust in the whole system is cracked. and after awhile, a lot of cracks makes for a broken pot that can not be mended.

one thing we have to remember is that most sellers are not our friends except in rare cases. ( a few are mine)

they are in it for the money, the most bang for the buck. that is cool. that's the nature of business. except when the bidding is artificially inflated.

sellers need to watch each other also, to make sure one or two bad apples are not spoiling the cider.

this is not paranoia, it is simply common business sense.

as i have learned over the past 6 months, geocoins are not the warm fuzzy feel-good personals of the past. they are a money-making enterprise. so whether buying a car or a coin, buyer beware.

rsg

Yet every time I run a reservation, there are always several people who don't pay and others I have to chase down.

And all this time I thought it was just me! :mad:

I was very surprised that this happened in my first coin sale too. Only one person contacted me immediately and very nicely said they couldn't pay for the coins and apologized. There were several others who just blew my emails off and never responded - even after they agreed to purchase some coins when I started taking reservations.

I realize that things happen and in this economy how circumstances can change for people. But how hard is it to just let the seller know the coins they reserved should be put back in the pot for others to buy? It certainly seems that would be the polite thing to do. But maybe that's just me... :ph34r:

Anyone, at any time, can report an Item listed on eBay. If you scroll down to the bottom on the Auction page you will see a "report an item" link! If you truly feel something is amiss REPORT IT! I don't think you even have to be a bidder!

I would exercise a little discretion however, because I'm sure they have heard of the "boy that cried wolf".

They have. I know of people who use/have used that method to harass other eBay members. When that happens the user who is doing the reporting gets reprimanded and could face account closure. So use it sparingly and only when you are certain there has been an infraction.

Edited by AtlantaGal

rsg

I don't believe the person who is auctioning the coin is doing anything inappropriate. But I have dealt with this person several times to know I can trust them and I have never met them in person. But I don't understand how many times someone has to be hit over the head before they realize the seller is not trustworthy. One mistake is enough to turn me off, if you are burned by one person and you go back to them a second time I don't feel sorry for you or anyone else.

Edited by LadeBear68

Eartha,

This may be a stupid question, and may be considered personal, but are you a coin collector, too?

It's funny, most of us know who FSM really 'is,' but you've managed to keep most of us in the dark, who you really are is a closely guarded secret, hehe, so I won't go so far as to ask that, but I am curious...

Are you as big a coin nerd in real life as the rest of us are?

Naomi :ph34r:

Maybe just a meatball on the side? Or some Garlic Bread?

Eartha,

This may be a stupid question, and may be considered personal, but are you a coin collector, too?

It's funny, most of us know who FSM really 'is,' but you've managed to keep most of us in the dark, who you really are is a closely guarded secret, hehe, so I won't go so far as to ask that, but I am curious...

Are you as big a coin nerd in real life as the rest of us are?

Naomi :ph34r:

Maybe just a meatball on the side? Or some Garlic Bread?

If neither of you have an opinion to offer, which is on topic, then please refrain from posting.

Edited by Tooey