Paperless cacheing with windows mobile or pocket pc

AD0SB

GPXSonar is best but doesn't work on all the newer devices.

Close second is GPXview.

These are actually much nicer than the Palm OS cousins. No conversion necessary of the downloaded GPX files from the website - just drop them on the unit and off you go. Then open a very nice replica of the listing page while out in the field.

I was wondering what you guys like to use that is windows mobile or pocket pc based pda, I have a HP/Compaq Ipaq and would like to use it. Most of the stuff I see is PalmOS based...

Thanks

I've been using CacheMate (along with GSAK) for a while now and it (they) work great on Windows Mobile/Pocket PC's.

If your ipaq is like my Dell axim 50 and has touch screen capability you seriously have to check out backcountry navigator. Its something like $30 bucks and well worth it! Not only do you get full paperless cache management, you get a full functioning gps w/ either a blue tooth gps or built in (not sure what you've got) and free topo maps as well as satellite images.

cacheseagle.jpg

You can also do a lot of advanced stuff w/ the software and the only real limitation is the handheld - mine is battery life with the dell...

tracksfromgpxsmall.jpg

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/ has a small but active user group, the developer responds to emails and forum requests and has done an excellent job on this PPC based application - even rolling it up to run on the PC as an option...

But I find it very handy as a ppc based gps applicaton with a lot of features your likely not going to find elsewhere.

Such as selecting the cache for details

cachemenu.jpg

I like the ability to read the logs...

cachedescription.jpg

and hints too!

cachedescriptionwithclue.jpg

I like the cache management as well. You can have multiple maps and cache files and within a specific cache file you can view all caches, all places, or nearest versions of both.

celebrationgpx.jpg

celebrationlist.jpg

Anyhow - check out the site and forum. You can download the software and play with it, it didn't take me very long to become comfortable with it. For me, along with GSAK, it has become an essential for geocaching. Hopefully my replacement Colorado 400T will arrive from StuffMart soon and also become essential. <fingers crossed>

I was wondering what you guys like to use that is windows mobile or pocket pc based pda, I have a HP/Compaq Ipaq and would like to use it. Most of the stuff I see is PalmOS based...

Thanks

I started using a Palm device and then later converted to an HP iPaq myself. I think that the Windows Mobile/Pocket PC version of CacheMate is much better than the Palm version. I also have a Garmin GPS10x bluetooth GPSr which I use. It has the Garmin MobileXT software that interacts with the GPSr and the Garmin mapping software giving me close to a Nuvi for car nav, as well as allowing me to use the GPSr integration into CacheMate. It works great for me, other than that my iPaq appears to have recently developed a problem with it's internal wifi adapter. This appears to be a common problem with this model line regretfully...

Thanks

I'm new to this game, and I have Delorme's street atlas usa loaded in my HTC smartphone (windows mobile based PDA phone), so my phone IS my GPS. I use the bluetooth GPS reciever (BT-20) that came with the SAUSA program. Works great. What I'm looking for now, is a way to look up cache sites on the phone on location. The phone can connect to the internet over the cell phone network using the browser in windows mobile. The traditional geocaching.com site does not work on the phone. Are there any mobile caching sites? Or other suggestions?

Newbie to the GC thing. Just made my first find today. Pretty cool.

Anyway, using my Sprint PPC6800 Mogul from HTC. It has a built in GPS chip that was finally activated by a rom upgrade a few months ago. I turn on Google Maps and then activate the GPS system option in that app. So far, typed in Lon/Lat coordinates have been accurate within a couple of feet and the phone gets 8-9 satellites most of the time. Just line your current location dot up with the arrow on Googles map and bam... cache time. LOL. So far it seems to work well, but I cannot point to a spot on google and get the coordinates in reverse... either to calibrate a current cash or create my own cache.

Nice to see some good suggestions for software for the PPC mobile. I just did not want to go buy a $130 gps just yet. Down side is the PPC is the battery life. Between the net connection for Google and the GPS chip it really sucks the battery.

I see the old GPXSonar site has the old 1.33 version. Not sure if it will work ok on WM 6.0. I see someone has GPXsonar 1.5 listed on a Microsoft Sky account I found while googling. Anyone try it to see if it works/safe?

Thanks for the tips in the thread!

Edited by judgeschambers
I'm new to this game, and I have Delorme's street atlas usa loaded in my HTC smartphone (windows mobile based PDA phone), so my phone IS my GPS. I use the bluetooth GPS reciever (BT-20) that came with the SAUSA program. Works great. What I'm looking for now, is a way to look up cache sites on the phone on location. The phone can connect to the internet over the cell phone network using the browser in windows mobile. The traditional geocaching.com site does not work on the phone. Are there any mobile caching sites? Or other suggestions?

what you want for mobile access is wap.geocaching.com

I see the old GPXSonar site has the old 1.33 version. Not sure if it will work ok on WM 6.0. I see someone has GPXsonar 1.5 listed on a Microsoft Sky account I found while googling. Anyone try it to see if it works/safe?

Here are the various GPXSonar versions all posted at the same location.

GPXSonar

Well, yeah, that's it. But I did not want to post the link yet until we got some feedback on whether or not the versions were good and virus free.... :blink:

It is the second link in Google when you search GPXSonar.

GPXSonar is best but doesn't work on all the newer devices.

Close second is GPXview.

These are actually much nicer than the Palm OS cousins. No conversion necessary of the downloaded GPX files from the website - just drop them on the unit and off you go. Then open a very nice replica of the listing page while out in the field.

Have you tried GPX Viewer?