Drive By Geocaching

My curiosity was piqued when someone from far away logged two of our caches the same day. They might be close (by air miles), but no one had ever even contemplated doing both on the same day. This was in addition to thirty two other caches in a total of five states. "Ah!" said I. "I''d like to see the signature of the geocacher who accomplished this feat! Over a thousand logs in three months! What a great geocacher!"

Alas, it was not to be. I checked the nearby cache, and did not see a signature. I will check the other cache in a week. (I did mention that they may be close by air, but are probably an hour and a half driving?) I enquired of two other nearby geocachers, who had seven logs by that illustrious geocacher. Six logs checked. No signatures!

One response I got is "It makes one wonder what motivates someone to lie and what need is serves them." The other response was "However, if this is someone just logging for the fun of it, you just have to wonder what the motivation is for someone to just set out and log caches they have not found. Have they nothing better to do <<rhetorical question>>?"

Albeit, the sampling is low. But, so far the response is: Six cache logs checked. No signatures.

What does motivate such a person? What can be done? Outside of a few conscientious COs deleting a few logs? Delete six logs, there are still over a thousand finds logged. No one's the wiser on the other thousand.

It makes me wonder what motivates such a person...

Well, I have to say, some of us had "advance notice" that this may be a breaking story from another forum, and I was really hoping there would be no story. What motivates them? Heck if I know. I just know I've met several pathological liars during my lifetime, and ultimately, I guess they just want attention, and to impress people.

It looks like this guy is trying to make some kind of point. He knows a fair bit about geocaching.

He plans a fairly logical route, picks mostly easy caches and then leaves town. He is cheeky too as he has a webcam cache where he posts immediately after Moun10Bike. He doesn't post the pic but leads you to believe he is in the same photo as him as others have done.

Since yesterday he has 60 more finds. I wonder where this is going?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Nothing any other cacher does affects the way I cache in the least bit. Nor will I lose sleep wondering "where this is going".

Delete his log(s) and fergitaboutit.

Oh, I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over it. I believe you could sum up Mr. Dolphin's original post with the simple question "What motivates someone to do this"? It's not exactly something you see every day. ;)

The guy (who is retired according to his profile), probably is visiting all these places. He's probably motoring down the Interstate at 65 MPH as we speak. ;)

Oh, and I'll pass on that "free to a good home" dog.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Oh, I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over it. I believe you could sum up Mr. Dolphin's original post with the simple question "What motivates someone to do this"? It's not exactly something you see every day. ;)

The guy (who is retired according to his profile), probably is visiting all these places. He's probably motoring down the Interstate at 65 MPH as we speak. ;)

Unfortunately, it's something we see all too often in many aspects of life, not just geocaching. I think the answer has already been given in any/all of the posts above.

He's a really good dog. Housebroken, gentle, and can play the accordian while dancing the rhumba. Are you sure you don't want him?

What can be done? Outside of a few conscientious COs deleting a few logs? Delete six logs, there are still over a thousand finds logged. No one's the wiser on the other thousand.

It makes me wonder what motivates such a person...

What can be done? On a broad scale, nothing. On a smaller scale, delete the logs.

Don't spend much time, effort, or energy on this. It's not worth it.

I think I found the cacher mentioned and HOLY COW!! He sure does find a lot of caches per day! Each page is full of the caches he found in one day.

I am envious that he can find that many. My highest count was 9, and that was at the beginning when Beckerbuns dragged me along the first time and I went back to sign all of the logs.

Awhile back there was someone (who by the way is in the top 10 geocachers for their state) log 40 caches in one day in the Seattle area but neglected to sign any of the logs.

The funny thing about it they did it the day after we had a Big Windstorm and the area was without power and many trees were down, quite the remarkable feat.

The other anomaly is they logged one of my caches before it was placed. hummm another neat trick.

I checked the other caches for their signature and none were found so I deleted their logs.

And the cacher in questions response was.

YEP, SEVER RAIN AND WIND inhibited that!! But it looks like I have offended a few folks up in your neck of the woods!! So, I will be deleting all my logs and I'll just have to sign them all when I get there this Summer!!

Seems a few of the geocachers in your area are VERY TEMPERAMENTAL folk! Would hate to have anyone MAD at me for any reason! I just didn't want the heavy rain and wind destroying any caches.

Edited by FunnyNose

Awhile back there was someone (who by the way is in the top 10 geocachers for their state) log 40 caches in one day in the Seattle area but neglected to sign any of the logs.

The funny thing about it they did it the day after we had a Big Windstorm and the area was without power and many trees were down, quite the remarkable feat.

The other anomaly is they logged one of my caches before it was placed. hummm another neat trick.

I checked the other caches for their signature and none were found so I deleted their logs.

And the cacher in questions response was.

YEP, SEVER RAIN AND WIND inhibited that!! But it looks like I have offended a few folks up in your neck of the woods!! So, I will be deleting all my logs and I'll just have to sign them all when I get there this Summer!!

Seems a few of the geocachers in your area are VERY TEMPERAMENTAL folk! Would hate to have anyone MAD at me for any reason! I just didn't want the heavy rain and wind destroying any caches.

Good grief! ;) I just don't get that. They were in the same city so they logged a bunch of caches? Its been said here many times before that there are many ways to play this game, but that's certainly a different game than the one I play.

I think I found the cacher mentioned and HOLY COW!! He sure does find a lot of caches per day! Each page is full of the caches he found in one day.

I am envious that he can find that many. My highest count was 9, and that was at the beginning when Beckerbuns dragged me along the first time and I went back to sign all of the logs.

Looks like today he found over 20 caches in the beautiful and historic Cape Hatteras / Kitty Hawk area.

It would be a real shame if he was doing all these from his armchair. I would love to have done these today.

Unfortunately, it's something we see all too often in many aspects of life, not just geocaching. I think the answer has already been given in any/all of the posts above.

He's a really good dog. Housebroken, gentle, and can play the accordian while dancing the rhumba. Are you sure you don't want him?

What are you trying to do, kill the thread by saying the question has been answered? I personally am intrigued by compulsive liars. Be it the 3 or 4 guys I met in the army, or the chick my wife worked with who lied about having cancer, including leaving work for fictional chemo appointments, and wearing a wool hat in the summer. :laughing:

No, I downloaded that avatar and blew it up. Nice photoshop work. Is that yourself, or someone you don't like? :anibad:

I've actually run across a problem with my cache count due to my ex-husband logging arm chair virtuals after our vacation last year. He also logged three caches out of state about a month before we actually started caching in '06. It's ironic to me that he has done this because he has accused me of being a pathological liar and is pushing the word 'integrity' around so much lately that it's almost disturbing. I'm now convinced that he is abusing the word in order to convince himself that he has it even though he doesn't. I went in and corrected my cache count today. I dropped from 418 finds down to 382. Ouch! But, after giving it some time to sink in, I feel much better about knowing I have an honest cache count. He doesn't, and I'm not going to raise a fuss about it. It's his own issue to deal with and it will come back to bte him in the butt one day.

Edited by pooter2001

Looks like today he found over 20 caches in the beautiful and historic Cape Hatteras / Kitty Hawk area.

It would be a real shame if he was doing all these from his armchair. I would love to have done these today.

I did a couple of geocaches in this area last month on vacation. 20 isn't an unreasonable number to do down there. if you enter 27959 (Nags Head zip code) there are easily 20 within 10 miles of Nags Head which is almost centrally located on the Outer Banks. As for Cape Hatteras, that's about an hours drive south from Nags Head/Kitty Hawk. It'd be a bit out of your way but go to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and hike to the top, probably the most gorgeous view around down there.

Ok, back on topic. It'd be interesting to know if this Drive by Cacher did GC1DE2Q aka Secret Island Cache, because if he logged it then I doubt he did it. I did this one on vacation and it took a bit of time and effort.... It really sounds like this person is an armchair cacher, from the numbers everyone has posted about his finds in one day it makes me believe he's just looking over GC.com and selecting what he/they thinks would interesting caches and then logs them as found. As for why people do things like this, who knows? Maybe its just laziness or messed up hardwiring in the brain...

Maybe the person wanted to see how much attention they could garner by logging like this...perhaps they're keeping a tally of how many forum posts they can rack up as a result of their troll game.

dang, just fed it another one!

As others have said, delete the bogus logs if they're on your cache..and then ignore the person. Not much else to do.