The junk you still had fun with

Vater_Araignee

As I am going through the forum researching units I notice that I have continually come across posts that say "I want to spend X dollars" and inevitably people say "No spend X more" or the say "Go to ebay" forgetting that GPS units suffer from ~Ebay Idiot bidding syndrome~.

People also seem to forget that they (in all most likelihood) started with a cheap unit.

This prompted me to create this post for first time buyers asking...

What was the cheapest/lowest end unit you ever used?

Where you still having fun with it?

Why did you upgrade?

Being honest about those cheap units that worked for you will help others a lot more than "No get this one!"

I would especially love to here about the people that got ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES and went back to there cheaper units.

I've been using ebay for years now and have found some good deals there, but only one time on a GPSr. Just for the heck of it, i routinely check there to see what the going prices are for various units and find that i can almost always get a better deal at an online store such as Amazon, a dedicated gpsr store, or a general electronics store.

Started out caching with a cheapy, no mapping, manual inputting of waypoints, Garmin 40 that i used for fishing offshore. Found quite a few caches with that thing but i have to say that i sure wouldn't even consider buying a unit these days that didn't have at least basic mapping capabilities... I now use a Garmin 76CX that runs circles around the old one.

I started out with a Magellan 200. I was planning on purchasing a Garmin, but the $100 model didn't come with a cable & the Magellan did. I had NO clue what I was getting, so I went with $$. The Magellan never did play nice with my computer, and right at 1 month locked up. So I took it back to Wal-Mart & they let me exchange it (even though the return policy on GPS units is 2 weeks). By this time I knew I was going to be using my GPS unit a lot, so I spent another $70 and purchased a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. I upgraded because I wanted the computer cable and decided if I was going to upgrade at all that now was the time. I've had it since April & I have been 100% satisfied. I am planning on going paperless within the next month, so I can't discuss anything on that.

I found at least my first 300 caches with a Garmin Forerunner 201, which is a runty little thing originally intended as a GPS-enabled sports watch. I'd had it sitting around since 2002 or so, used it on-and-off for measuring running routes, and only started using it constantly when I discovered caching in '07. I've since 'upgraded' to a Magellan Explorist 300, which works just fine for what I demand of it.

I'm brand new to GPS's and caching...

Bought a Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one) at MEC for $140 a couple of weeks ago...it worked pretty much fine, did the trick for the most part...

As I got deeper into the unit, I started thinking about what I might be missing most, to give me the most enjoyment out of my time. Realized what I really wanted was a unit was better reception. Started really doing some looking around for a good deal. Checked eBay, online retailers, etc.

Bottom line, I didn't want to spend anymore than about $150; ended up ordering an eTrex Venture HC for $145. With shipping, cost me $15 more than the Legend, and had the biggest feature I wanted - the high sensitivity receiver. I'm now extremely happy...there's lots of tree cover around this area, and the Legend just wasn't quite pulling it's weight all the time. The HC GPS picks up from everywhere I've been so far...

I, at least, feel like I've found the sweet spot between price and features.

Started with a deal on a the "Etrex Venture Cx", no longer in production under $90.

It worked great, but this time of year with the heavy foliage it was losing contact with the sats deeper into the bush.

Upgraded to the "Etrex Vista HCx", it also has a compass and a few other bells and whistles.

Enjoying it.

Edited by kidcobalt

As I am going through the forum researching units I notice that I have continually come across posts that say "I want to spend X dollars" and inevitably people say "No spend X more" or the say "Go to ebay" forgetting that GPS units suffer from ~Ebay Idiot bidding syndrome~.

People also seem to forget that they (in all most likelihood) started with a cheap unit.

Why did you upgrade?

Being honest about those cheap units that worked for you will help others a lot more than "No get this one!"

I would especially love to here about the people that got ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES and went back to there cheaper units.

I only started geocaching (and bought my GPS) about a year and a half ago. I had been wanting to get a GPS for awhile for sea kayaking but my wife actually suggested getting one for geocaching after she read about it on a web site (not gc.com). I bought a Garmin GPSMap 76Cx since it had the Bluechart maps available for it (haven't bought them yet), it was waterproof, and it (alledgedly, I haven't tested it) floats.

I have seen the issue you refer to in forums related to other activities as well. I am also an avid flyfisherman and sea kayaker. In flyfishing forums there were frequently people coming into the forum that asked about getting started and equipment recommendations. It was amazing how many old timers recommended starting off with expensive graphite rods and reels. In one case someone recommended a Sage RPL 490 and Orvis reel, a combination that would run about $500. I happen to own that rod (bough one used on the internet for $200) and it's a great rod, but I also have a Redington flyrod (as well as 8 other flyrods, including three bamboo rods) that goes for about $100 new that I use much more frequently than the Sage.

In sea kayaking forums there are also lots of beginners asking for recommendations. The suggestions vary widely, but someone recommended that having a carbon fiber paddle was *essential*. Carbon fiber paddles run $300 or more, and again I own a really nice one that I paid $425 for, but I didn't buy that one until I had been kayaking for 10 years. Up until then I used a nice fiberglass paddle that I bought for $100, again used, and also use a wood traditional Greenland style paddle that a friend of mine carved (one can build one for less than $30) and gave to me. Using a decent quality paddle really enhances the kayaking experience but there are lots of perfectly find paddles in the $100-$150 range, and lots of other fiberglass models in the $200-$250 range that might never need to be replaced.

A GPS is a bit different in that even if someone discovers that they are no longer interested in geocaching the GPS can still be used for other things.

2 years ago I bought a Garmin Geko 201 - and it was low end even then.

But what can I say - I'm a girl and I wanted a colorful one :D

I recently got some extra cash and I decided to splurge on a new GPS.

I had planned on an etrex, but they were sold out and I wanted a new one NOW, so I ended up getting a Colorado 300 - and you know what? I'm still using the geko 201.

I will sit down one day and get to know the Colorado, but it's quite a bit of work and I read how people have to do work-arounds to make it do what they want.

Mine comes up with an old date and I still haven't found out how to change that. Time zone, and 12 or 24 hour clock, yes, but date? No.

Meanwhile I go geocaching with my Geko :D

It's probably so obsolete now that people use it to throw after squirrels ...

I started with a monochrome Vista I bought on eBay in a combination package with the Topo and Roads and Recreation maps. It worked great, but then I saw how useful auto-routing was.

So, I upgraded to the Vista C and got the City Select maps back in 2005.

I sold the Vista on eBay.

When I saw the new High Senstivity units, I decided it was time to upgrade again, so last August I bought the Vista HCx. I put those older Topo maps on it and got the City Navigator maps.

I kept the Vista C, which still works great. It has been on loan to someone who had a non-functioning Magellan. :D

I started with an eTrex Legend. It was a good unit at the time, but the limited map memory and sensitivity to how it had to be held for decent reception were issues. I picked up a Vista after about a year for more map memory and the electronic compass, but it still had the iffy reception under trees.

I then obtained a Magellan Meridian and really couldn't stand it, so it sits under the seat of my car as an emergency unit.

I finally upgraded to a unit with all the bells and whistles, first the 60CS and later a 60CSX, and would never go back.

My wife on the other hand started with a Geko 201 and still loves it. It's broken now and I have to send it to Garmin. Meanwhile she uses either my 60CS, Meridian or Vista and can't stand them. She wants her Geko back.

That would be us!

We started caching with an Explorist 100, but of course I longed for bells and whistles, so eventually we upgraded to a Vista Cx and gave the old unit to our granddaughter. But although I love the maps and the connect-to-the-computer part of the new unit, it doesn't seem to hold a signal very well. Mr BP was getting very frustrated, especially since there is a 'lost signal' alarm, which made it seem like the Vista was actually bragging about losing the signal. We could hardly take back the gift we'd given our granddaughter (tempted, but no), so for Christmas I bought Mr BP another Explorist 100. Now we take both GPS units caching - we use my spiffy toy to find out if there are any caches in an area, and to follow the roads to the general location, but then we use Mr BP's faithful friend to find the cache.

I started out with my Magellan 210 two years ago, and I am still using it. It is easy to use, and I really haven't felt the need to get any more bells and whistles then this has. (which ain't many! :( )

I got the 210 because it can connect to the Internet, so far I haven't connected it and still load all my coordinates by hand.

I suppose that someday I will need to update, but for now I'm having plenty of fun with this one.

I know that one of the complaint about the Magellan is poor service. However, the only time I had a question for their service dept. I had no problems with them.

I was given a Magellan SporTrak for Christmas in 2003 and that was the beginning of our Geocaching adventures. We used that for either two or three years (don't remember) and I decided to upgrade to a Garmin 76cs after the SporTrak started getting flakey with coordinates. The "x" units were not out yet. We still find over 90% of the caches we hunt for and have never felt any need to upgrade again. We didn't buy the extra mapping software for the 76cs since that was an additional $100 and we have never felt that we needed it.

We have found some free maps for the Garmin for Washington and there is a current project going on here to map all of the trails in the area. Very cool stuff indeed! Haven't tried those trail maps yet but they look great.

When we started geocaching last September, we went with a Lowrance Expedition C with topo mapping for $360. Easy to use, big color screen, and great reception. It did have extras such as an altimeter and mp3 player (played through headphones) that I found I was not using. So when we got our 2nd unit, we went with a Lowrance H2O C. Same great GPSr without the extras we se not using anyway.

I got a Garmin etrex Legend for 80 bucks including mapsource and such. I've had it over a year and it turns out I find caches just like those with $400 units. The unit I have is falling apart, so I plan on upgrading soon to the exact same GPSr that is just in better shape.

I started out in September 07 with an $80 Garmin eTrex Legend. I enjoyed it and was able to find most of the caches I looked for and I was happy. I quickly got tired of having to carry the GPSr, topo maps, printouts of caches, etc. though so I decided to spend a few bucks, $450 plus $80 for the 2008 NT street maps to be exact, and bought a Colorado 400t. I bought it at Amazon.com if anyone cares. I LOVE this thing! It is so easy to use and although it has some minor problems, I love the fact that I no longer have to carry the topo maps and printouts, when I want to go caching I just grab the GPSr and go. I can even log finds and DNFs on the unit then upload them directly into Geocaching.com when I get home.

Like I said, the Colorado has its problems, one of the worst being that it eats batteries rather quickly, but rechargeable batteries and a portable 12 volt charger makes up for this. I am very satisfied with this unit and recommend it.

1Percenter

Edited by 1Percenter

The eXplorist 400 for under $100

Yes We are still having great fun with them as I bought a second one when My wife joined in

Why did you upgrade?

Upgrade??? not yet and most likely not for some time to come as both units work just fine and do all that we need them to do

We also have a Garmin 12XL that we use as a back up unit and it still works great also

Ebay is like all auctions, he or she who wants the item most is likely to end up paying the most. If you can figure out what your looking for and what condition and what your top dollar is, and of course actually stick to it, you can do alright. The thing that happens at ebay, and elsewhere is people decide they must have THIS ONE RIGHT NOW.

A garmin Etrex

I don't use it much, usually only at 101 type functions when having the exact unit in hand helps explain to newbies how to do this or that (most of the GPS learning kits around here are etrexs)

Why did you upgrade?

Wanted something with maps on it, and autorouting. So I got a Garmin V, still using a V... Though I've also had a few other units for 'back up' etc, but the V has been my main unit for almost five years now. Eventally I'll have to find something else, but I keep putting that day off till this one dies.

If you've read a lot of the 'what to buy' threads you've probably seen the 'should I buy cheap and upgrade later' vs 'skip the lower ones and go right to a bells and whisles unit'. I think thats where a lot of the BUY the new modelCSXABC talk comes from. Not that its totally wrong, or malious, just how some people see things.

I kinda doubt you'll find people that have downgraded... at least as a main unit. I think some people get to the point where they have a nice fancy unit or laptop for in car use, while a smaller cheaper unit for the close in work. I mean once you've gotten as far as you can drive, it doesn't really matter what the unit costs your just following the arrow.

Magellan Meridian Color purchased off eBay for about $250 in 2005. I have never had the desire to change. This old girl has been faithful for the last three years and nearly never fails to take me to ground zero. At nearly all caches, she reads 3 to 6 feet.

She's been dunked for 20 minutes four feet deep in cold water. She was in my cargo pants pocket when we dumped the canoe during a blinding thunderstorm. We could not see let alone paddle to avoid those rocks there! Took twenty minutes to make our way to shore in a strong current. Lost one paddle, but the old girl hung on just fine.

She's been dropped to bounce about ten times down a stony embankment only to land face up and AT GROUND ZERO. She found that cache for us! Undamaged. Did I mention she's ACCURATE?

GPSBabel sends her waypoints through the serial port just fine. I have written several scripts and bat files that I use. One script changes the icons according to the size and type of cache. The bat files run GPSBabel and copy the GPX files to my DELL Axim 5. In seconds, I'm out the door, loaded and ready to go. I get turn by turn when that's called for and a rubber band / compass when I need them with just two clicks. She never fails to take me to ground zero.

Two RayoVac Hybrid rechargeable niMH batteries last a good long time in her (longer, it seems, than straight up Energizers). And, one can plug in an external antenna which is magnetic, small and I have fashioned a little foam backed metal plate the size of the antenna. I put the metal plate under my hat and the antenna gets magged on the top (Yup, a propeller head for sure). She nearly never fails to take me to ground zero. Most times without the antenna!

I've often seen advice on this forum that says

When you get within thirty feet, put your GPS in your pocket and start looking.
Bull! When you get to ground zero and the cache ain't there THEN put it in your pocket. My old girl nearly never fails to take me to ground zero.

We just bought a Nüvi 260W for my mother in law and of course, we had to "break it in' for her. The Nüvi lost signal a number of times sitting right next to my old girl who never complained once. I can't fault the Nüvi, it was nearly on the floor of the car.

One can obtain a Meridian Color on eBay with its Mapsend software for a song these days.... I'm tempted to purchase a back up for the old girl when it's time to retire her (but I don't think that will be anytime soon).

Old junk? Depends on your perspective and whether or not you DID buy junk the first time. :(

6f0b0ecf-e3c0-4233-bf3c-21cfc4b831a0.jpga8630428-5885-4235-96b5-bb5473d80d62.jpg

73db1888-b5c6-4564-8a43-8482d99e2ee0.jpg

Edited by Rattlebars