Activated coins

Theotokos

I purchased a couple of activated coins from A&T and have 'adopted' them over to myself. I was wondering about the logs on these coins as there are some discoveries from events. If I delete these logs will the people lose the icons? Personally I don't care much for the icons but I know some people do and I don't want to mess anything up for anyone.

I have no problem keeping the logs intact if deleting them means someone loses an icon - it's just that I can be anal about these things sometimes and like to keep things neat and tidy.

Actually, I am glad this was brought up. I've often thought about buying others activated coins when offered but was concerned about the activity on them too. So I guess the activity stays on the coin once it is transfered? Mmmnnnn... This makes me wonder about another question? In the future do you think people will be more interested in coins that have activity on them showing where they have been and their history, say 10 or 20 years from now or should they stay unactivated with no story to tell on them? I have quite a few activated (very few which are travelers) and the others have no activity on them at all, just so I can have the icons? I would think down the road people might become more interested in coins with some history and stories on them. Does anyone keep a watch on the original Mount10bike coins for instance?

They will lose the icon once the log is deleted.

Thanks Broken W and LadyBee4T. I will keep the logs then as it is not really a big deal for me anyway.

Nochipra; I can't say what interest people would have in the future but I do know that today most people don't like to trade or buy activated coins. I'm okay with it but it does make it a bit harder to trade down the road.

I adpoted one too and just left the logs. I did retrieve it from his personal cache and dropped it in one of mine to show the location though.

yes, I'm going to move them to my personal cache too and I already changed the titles...but left everything else intact. I was pretty sure that would be the case but I wanted to know for sure. Thanks everyone for helping me understand.

I too have adopted a few (as a set) with some folks discovering one or two, but at least one with no discoveries. Not sure why this is, as all 4 have the same mileage and have been in all the same events.

I personally plan on deleting the mileage logs as it just helps clean up the logs a bit and shows no mileage on the coin. That, and with 200+ coins I'd be logging for weeks when I move them from event to event. I plan on leaving the discovery logs because as stated earlier, it takes the icon away from a player if deleted. I have them for discovery purposes anyhow.

The one thing I wish I could change is the "Origin" once it is adopted out. As I don't see that as being rellevant in the grand scheme of things once it is adopted...

ya know, i still don't get the whole activated - bad for trading, un-activated - good for trading thing. if i like a coin i don't give a flying duck if it is activated or not. i do care how it looks and if it has been handled or not - scratched is not cool.

i collect for aesthetics as y'all have heard me say many times and as long as i love the coin, and i can get it, i just don't care.

i traded for my tranquility "blue is my world." that was my heart's desire for the longest time. the coin sits and looks at me and i look at it and nobody is saying nuttin' bout being activated. i don't think any less of it and we still respect each other in the morning.

it seems to me the whole activation thing is artificial — somebody said once activated coins have less value and voila, it stuck.

my coins don't travel in caches and tonight i am taking a few to be discovered. the folks get the icons, i get to have the fun of sharing and we are all happy.

win win situation!

later folkses

lara/rsg

I've had my log deleted from a Compass Rose, the one that got me hooked into buying and then collecting coins, and it sucked. However I deserved it since I did the same thing to an activated coin I bought on Ebay before I knew better. So beware of Karma (and I don't mean the cacher/coiner in Idaho).

I too have adopted a few (as a set) with some folks discovering one or two, but at least one with no discoveries. Not sure why this is, as all 4 have the same mileage and have been in all the same events.

I personally plan on deleting the mileage logs as it just helps clean up the logs a bit and shows no mileage on the coin. That, and with 200+ coins I'd be logging for weeks when I move them from event to event. I plan on leaving the discovery logs because as stated earlier, it takes the icon away from a player if deleted. I have them for discovery purposes anyhow.

The one thing I wish I could change is the "Origin" once it is adopted out. As I don't see that as being rellevant in the grand scheme of things once it is adopted...

Your still taking the icon and credit away from the people who actually used the Trackable for it's true purpose and that's traveling. You will upset some people.

It's been done to me before, someone deleted all my logs except for the first and last cache I logged it through. I guess I cluttered up there TB page taking their bug to a lot of nice places. They said it was "housecleaning". For some reason, that still bugs me. :ph34r:

Your still taking the icon and credit away from the people who actually used the Trackable for it's true purpose and that's traveling. You will upset some people.

It's been done to me before, someone deleted all my logs except for the first and last cache I logged it through. I guess I cluttered up there TB page taking their bug to a lot of nice places. They said it was "housecleaning". For some reason, that still bugs me. :ph34r:

So just by deleting the event caches it was placed in (the mileage logs) I'm taking an icon and credit away from someone? I don't see how. The discoveries are still made and icons still intact/recieved regardless of whether they are in my possession or placed into events. Omiting the excess logs( event placement)just helps keep things tidy. I have read some coins and TB's that travel with the owner from event to event that have 6 pages of logs and over 3/4 of them from the owner where they place then retrieve the coin. For a coin that travels with the owner for discovery purposes I think this is a bit much. For a coin that is in the wild and meant to travel,or a "dipper" coin, adding up the mileage from cache to cache is essential.

Just MHO... any others? B)

So just by deleting the event caches it was placed in (the mileage logs) I'm taking an icon and credit away from someone? I don't see how. The discoveries are still made and icons still intact/recieved regardless of whether they are in my possession or placed into events. Omiting the excess logs( event placement)just helps keep things tidy. I have read some coins and TB's that travel with the owner from event to event that have 6 pages of logs and over 3/4 of them from the owner where they place then retrieve the coin. For a coin that travels with the owner for discovery purposes I think this is a bit much. For a coin that is in the wild and meant to travel,or a "dipper" coin, adding up the mileage from cache to cache is essential.

Just MHO... any others? B)

Ah, so these are miles you yourself logged onto the coin, that's different.

Edited by Eartha

You can change the "Origin" if you get a hold of the activation code - go through the activation process again and you can change origin and date, but the history of the coin will not be deleted.