How new is too new for first hide?

I am a newbie and have just over a dozen finds. A couple tough ones but just routine finds other than that. What does everything think about newbies hiding? How new is too new to hide. I have found a couple good spots to hide stuff. I understand all the rules for hiding, but I just don't want too just too soon.

I've heard some advice quoted here and there that you should have 100 finds before you create your own cache. Good idea, but that's not a hard and fast rule I don't think. I'm rather new too, not close to 100 yet but I'm getting antsy to make my own one of these days. Still, I'm being careful not to get too ahead of myself, so I don't end up making "low-quality" caches. :P

some people are ready their first day, some people never are.

the fact that you care bodes well for you.

Flask's post's are often quite brilliant. :P Generally, I've seen too many enthusiastic newbies who go hog wild placing too many caches too fast. Take it nice and slow, and think before placing. You'll be fine.

the fact that you care bodes well for you.

Flask's post's are often quite brilliant. :P Generally, I've seen too many enthusiastic newbies who go hog wild placing too many caches too fast. Take it nice and slow, and think before placing. You'll be fine.

I think i did it in the wrong order. A co-worker and I hid a cache before we ever started finding caches (GC1CV1X) :laughing:

I just started finding caches @ 2 weeks ago and Im addicted. Im wanting to hide a few more too. My coworker has yet to go out caching. Our first hide seems to be a hit so far :laughing:

There are people who have a handful of finds who hide great caches and people who have thousands of finds who don't do such a good job.

I hid my first cache after one hide and the only things I've learned since were that I didn't have to put so much thought into the location, container and contents.

If you want to hide and have a good idea or two, go for it whether you have one find or 100. Don't let someone

scare you off with some arbitrary find count that you need to reach before you can hide.

There are people who have a handful of finds who hide great caches and people who have thousands of finds who don't do such a good job.

I hid my first cache after one hide and the only things I've learned since were that I didn't have to put so much thought into the location, container and contents.

If you want to hide and have a good idea or two, go for it whether you have one find or 100. Don't let someone

scare you off with some arbitrary find count that you need to reach before you can hide.

I am a newbie and have just over a dozen finds. A couple tough ones but just routine finds other than that. What does everything think about newbies hiding? How new is too new to hide. I have found a couple good spots to hide stuff. I understand all the rules for hiding, but I just don't want too just too soon.
I only had 6 finds when I hid my first. I think it all comes down to when you get your first good idea. Good luck!

I was at about 70 finds before I did my first hide. It felt right. I had an idea of what made a good hide. It does not have to be a fancy container. The location should be somewhere geocachers would like to go, to find and to explore. It could be a wilderness location or downtown metropolitan area since different people like different things. If you like moving travel bugs then some locations may be better than others, especially if significant distances are involved. All in all, think it through, if it makes sense to you then it likely is a good location. Mind you, some caches are better than others - not to mention the existence of different types of caches such as mystery, multis, etc. as opposed to the single location you are there traditional cache. Yes, there is something for everyone; and it depends on the finder as well as to what makes a good cache.

I feel itsome round 50. But as it was said earlier because you asking it speaks loudly and that mark moves up. therre is not a rule set in stone. I have seen caches placed by newbies that where classics I have seen cache placed by vetrens that where trash and everything in between. If in doubt ask a locl vetran to beta test it for you and do a couple of test runs prior to publishing, especially if its a puzzle. Better quality than quantity in my book. NO LPC PLZ!

I don't think there is any number of finds that will tell you if you have a good idea for a hide or not. If YOU think it's a good idea and you have thought it out with a complete understanding of the guidelines--Go for it!

Something to think about too: If, by some fluke, it turns out your first cache isn't as great as you thought it would be--You will have learned a lot by the experience and your next one will be better. :P

I agree that there is no set number. I would only advise that you gain enough experience to gleen many ideas of what makes a good and enjoyable cache and caching experience. Also, in order to see some of the really bad ideas that others have tried. This knowledge only comes with your own experience. As you find more and more different styles of hides, you will come to understand what makes a good hide and what kind of hides you enjoy seeking. If you enjoy finding them, chances are others will too.

Things to avoid: Placing a cache for placement's sake, poor planning as to drainage during rain, high muggle traffic, poor durability and watertightness of container, unintelligent placement - not near schools, banks, freeway interchanges, or other sensitive locations, and lack of safety concerns. Other than that, if it is a cool container, a place you enjoy and would like others to enjoy, sensible location, and well concealed... go for it!

One other thing - please, please, please take the time to get accurate coordinates - your fellow cachers will sing your praises!

LOL. That short but true answer sums it up best.

Here in CT, one of the most talked about and challenging caches was hidden by someone with only a couple finds. Even being a few years old now, it's still one of "the ones" that folks who haven't done it strive to do.

Although I still haven't gotten out to place it yet, when I began building what will become my first hide, I contacted my local reviewer and started asking questions.

Got links to places I'll need to get permission for caches and some other helpful information.

So I'd suggest an introductory message to your local reviewer to say hi and give some information about the perspective cache.

I also got an invite to a CiTo event (right where I already had a kayak/caching trip planned that day with a friend!) out of it but was vehicularly challenged that weekend and couldn't make it.

I think I only had about a dozen finds when I started building the cache and sent the message.

I was inspired by the Pictures of Cool Cache Containers thread and I'd highly suggest looking/reading through the whole thing to see just how good a cache/hide can be! It made me realize the prescription bottle with magnets electrical taped to it stuck to the back of the guardrail behind the local grocery store wasn't as ingenious as I thought it was. :P

Whenever you think you're ready is a good time to place your first cache, but here's a few things to think about >>

* fit the container to the area. i.e. don't place a tiny micro in the woods when an ammo can would fit

* choose a spot that you would like to visit if you were caching

* place a cache that you would enjoy finding

* don't rush when marking a waypoint. Take at least 5 minutes, mark it, then do the goto feature and see how close you get. Repeat if necessary.

* be careful when entering your coordinates on the cache submittal page. Its a pain in the butt to get them changed once the cache is approved.

You are ready when you have found a great spot for a cache and take the time to craft a good hide that will last - and when you have read and re-read and fully understand the guidelines.

Not a minute sooner.

It's time when your muse fills you with inspiration. Go forth and place. There are lessons that you can only learn about owning a cache by actually owning a cache. No amount of expereince will help you there.

I think I had 42 finds when I hid my first one, and it seems to have been well received judging by the logs. Like you, I was a faithful forum reader, and tried to learn what people like and dislike in caches before making my first hide. Beyond that, I had a certain spot that simply inspired me to want to bring people there (GC1AN35).

I'm actually ready to place my second, but haven't been inspired as far as a location yet, and I made a deal with myself that I would never place a cache for the sake of placing it, so I'll continue to wait for that inspiration.

I say if you are inspired, go for it. If you just want to throw one out there to say you did, then expect to be disappointed by many six letter logs (TNLNSL). Most of all have fun!

For some reason I recall reading on the geocaching.com site that its best to have at least 25 finds before placing a cache...

On that note, I have gone back through all the "starting out" pages and can't find it....*scratching head*

I sort of agree w/ that only because we had a young cacher here that put out 2 or 3 caches (before he found 25), then never maintained them.

I think they finally had to be archived.

Some people get pretty excited at first then drop off.

I like the idea of finding several caches first and seeing what ideas were out there before starting one.

Good luck!

We hid our first Cache after only a couple of finds. Made and error on the coords logged a correction comment.

We all learn by experience. Think it out. Give it a try. Admit and correct any errors.

Challenge the other Geocachers!

You'll be wiser for it.

I didn't do my first hides until I was over 250 finds. but it was mostly because I was rather 'meh' on hiding. Then gas prices went rather high, and I the idea of driving 30 miles to get to decent cache cluster started to make me go, 'meh.' So I decided to try hiding. By then I had a decent idea of what caches I had enjoyed finding and which I had hated on matters of general principle. I also got a good feel for what types of hides were rather over-abundant, and probably should be avoided because they had become boring to me as a finder. That gave me a good notion of what I could do to make a cache "I" would enjoy finding.

Anywho, considering I've already been labeled a sadist for one of my caches I figure I'm on the right track. It's positive feedback like that that makes hiding worth it.

Let me ammend to what others have said by adding that your ODDS of hiding a well-liked cache will MOST LIKELY improve as you find more caches (and as you get to know other cachers in your area, through events or running into them on the trail).

The most important thing about hiding caches I've learned is to ask yourself "Why?" Why should I place one there, and why should anyone go looking for it?

I have decided to place a cache. Thanks for all the input. As long as I do not break some unwritten rule then I am going to do it. Although I will not do it just for the sake of doing it. I am really putting a lot of thought into it. I would rather place a couple really good ones than a bunch of not so great ones. Plus the more you place the more you have to maintain. Then I would have less time to hunt for Geocaches. I have a couple of good ideas that I am working on that will make for good hunts. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again.