Do we need separate forum(s) for Cointests and/or Missions?

UncleJimbo

"Nothing wrong with giving anything away. But this is a forum following a set of guidelines. What's wrong with posting the off topic contest in the off topic forum? I mean rules aren't a bad thing and are in place to help the majority of the people, not just the few who want to play in contests."

Why SHOULD we ? !

Looks like more than a few want to play. Why does it bother people just because there is a cointest, you don't have to click on it. If you read it, it says something about such and such cointest. Just pass it up.

If we don't want more rules, then maybe we should have thought about this before running cointests about "what did I have for breakfast" and the like. TYes I know this wasn't an actual cointest, or maybe it was, but either way I am not trying to single someone out. The point is, people running cointests for no other reason than to chit chat are leaving the mods no choice but to implement new rules.

I admit I don't read every thread but I must have missed something here. Were the mods really ready to implement rules on all cointests prior to this thread? Why do they have no choice in the matter? If its on the foiurms here send me to the post.....

If we don't want more rules, then maybe we should have thought about this before running cointests about "what did I have for breakfast" and the like. TYes I know this wasn't an actual cointest, or maybe it was, but either way I am not trying to single someone out. The point is, people running cointests for no other reason than to chit chat are leaving the mods no choice but to implement new rules.

I admit I don't read every thread but I must have missed something here. Were the mods really ready to implement rules on all cointests prior to this thread? Why do they have no choice in the matter? If its on the foiurms here send me to the post.....

They didn't outright say that. It is the context of my post you are reading into since it was part of a longer dialogue is all. You would have to go back and read it to follow it better.

We've asked for off topic coin chat in the past and were denied (maybe not we, but it was asked) Now, nobody spoke up then about this and now it has all gotten out of hand. We dont need cointests in OT as the coiners are HERE.

Im glad we've reached a happy place as far as it needs to stay here and I hope it does... Now how can they set us up so it stays here?

There hasnt been rules established for cointests because nobody really spoke up till now, and now its hittin the fan! :ph34r: I think our mods are workin on it and we just need to help them as much as we can as far as reaching that happy medium that is within their limits.

We just need to be as rational as can be without prying he said/she said from everyones posts...as ideas and thoughts sway from one aspect to another in the midst of workin this out, we are gonna have new ideas we just havent thought of.

With attacking each other in the midst of disecting our posts is just gonna irritate one another and cause a lack of agreement even further

Lets keep it together and work as a community, as we (the coiners) all belong here...in the geocoin forums. :unsure:

We've asked for off topic coin chat in the past and were denied (maybe not we, but it was asked) Now, nobody spoke up then about this and now it has all gotten out of hand. We dont need cointests in OT as the coiners are HERE.

Im glad we've reached a happy place as far as it needs to stay here and I hope it does... Now how can they set us up so it stays here?

There hasnt been rules established for cointests because nobody really spoke up till now, and now its hittin the fan! :unsure: I think our mods are workin on it and we just need to help them as much as we can as far as reaching that happy medium that is within their limits.

We just need to be as rational as can be without prying he said/she said from everyones posts...as ideas and thoughts sway from one aspect to another in the midst of workin this out, we are gonna have new ideas we just havent thought of.

With attacking each other in the midst of disecting our posts is just gonna irritate one another and cause a lack of agreement even further

Lets keep it together and work as a community, as we (the coiners) all belong here...in the geocoin forums. :ph34r:

Well put 007BigD

And if nothing else, perhaps this thread might encourage anyone thinking about starting a cointest to give some serious consideration to the quality of the contest before posting.

I've no idea why TPTB do not wish to add another pinned topic or a child thread or whatever you call it to organise the geocoin discussion board, but it has been stated that it won't happen, so as a community we should work together to make the best of what we have. One way we can all do that is to ensure that postings are kept on topic, informative, engaging and amusing where appropriate.

Just had to add that this topic has seperated us further than ever...we have made references toward individuals that should have gone unsaid...Whether or not any of have the funds to fuel our habit is irrrelevant...we are still coiners. References to asking for coins...irrelevant, we all want mystery coins and for some they simply ask for them.

The new breed of coiner is different from yesteryear however we are all still in the same boat. Things will change and so will the people and with that, so will the aspects that get discussed.

I find it all disheartening to see us so seperated and with such angst, I hope we can come back together to resolve all this. Again, we are a community...New and Old, Rich and Poor.

Sorry to sound all lame, but hey, its just what I feel and what I feel about what I see. :unsure:

And if nothing else, perhaps this thread might encourage anyone thinking about starting a cointest to give some serious consideration to the quality of the contest before posting.

I've no idea why TPTB do not wish to add another pinned topic or a child thread or whatever you call it to organise the geocoin discussion board, but it has been stated that it won't happen, so as a community we should work together to make the best of what we have. One way we can all do that is to ensure that postings are kept on topic, informative, engaging and amusing where appropriate.

Maybe if a cointest seems OT, then thats where it goes...Maybe a mod can suggest to the OP close the topic beforehand...???

I think its just gonna boil down to less cointests, that are On Topic to settle everyones needs.

Missions?...Well thats another post, but I remember when it was seasonal or Holiday missions. I dont see much wrong with the missions, as I liked em when I participated (when I actually recieved em! :unsure: ) But guess they are in the same hand as Cointests recently, as far as Anticointestians & NonMissionaries are concerned. (kay, your supposed to giggle a bit) :ph34r: I dont mind em and for the most part they stay further on topic as far as I have noticed.

Its tough tryin to work the ins and outs of these issues, but I think we're makin progress...If nothin else at least we all know how everyone feels about them. :blink:

Its tough tryin to work the ins and outs of these issues, but I think we're makin progress...If nothin else at least we all know how everyone feels about them. :unsure:

I'm just curious as to what progress you think we're making on this issue? I see some changes to titles but not much else? I get the sense that it's 'tow the line' or leave...not really much room for opposing views. And really, a mountain has been made of a mole hill I think....all that was asked was could we separate the threads and make it better organized.

I agree with you totally about it being disheartening and I see a real split amongst various groups of people. I sit back and take it all in and try to learn from what I read. Unfortunately a lot of what I hear is 'times change and you better just change with it'. Not all change is good and I for one, like to hear more from the folks that were around at the beginning but I can see why many of them don't or won't post in the threads anymore.

I'm just curious as to what progress you think we're making on this issue? I see some changes to titles but not much else? I get the sense that it's 'tow the line' or leave...not really much room for opposing views. And really, a mountain has been made of a mole hill I think....all that was asked was could we separate the threads and make it better organized.

I agree with you totally about it being disheartening and I see a real split amongst various groups of people. I sit back and take it all in and try to learn from what I read. Unfortunately a lot of what I hear is 'times change and you better just change with it'. Not all change is good and I for one, like to hear more from the folks that were around at the beginning but I can see why many of them don't or won't post in the threads anymore.

Well, we're 5 pages into discussing everything, our Mods are quietly watching and making subtle changes, we are comming to conclusions in a few aspects...well recently anyways. Its been said that cointests will not be split into Off Topic...and most importantly our statements and suggestions are being made.

Its gonna be hard to collaborate all this into a conclusion, but hopefully we are headed that way, if nothing else, like I said we all know how everyone feels on the matter and that alone will hopefully cause for change...in what ways?~Who knows? Im kinda hopin that our mods come up with some sort of finalized descision, we as a whole will find it quite hard to.

Not sure if it has been a final word that a "split thread" is possible or if they are even working on it...gues I had better go back and read the whole topic again to get everything as I am sure I have missed some stuff.

I think as we debate, discuss, what have you, it will be more clear as to where it ends up...We may be just where we are and if you dont like a thread~Deal with it and ignore it. Dont know! Guess if our mods dont end up setting guidelines then thats where we'll be~Back to sqaure one! But at least we know how EVERYONE feels.

And yes...Tsun needs her own pinned topic~We all can agree on that! :ph34r::unsure:

These things take time to communicate to the necessary people, and to wade through to read all of the posts, and sort it all out and communicate with the other mods, and Groundspeak, and discuss.

So, on that note, I would like to give everyone the weekend off, to give us time to sort this all out, tally up stuff and what not, and I am going to TEMPORARILY close this thread for the weekend. It will be opened again at some point between Sunday night and Monday morning. If it continues to keep growing, with people repeating their thoughts, and throw in a bit of disrespect shown for others, I will never be able to digest it all, because frankly, I have things I need to get done this weekend, and caching might hopefully be one of them. Reading all of this is another.

So, go caching, move some geocoins, and come back later.

This thread is temporarily out of service.

Groundspeak doesn't work weekends, and I haven't finished reading it all and FSM is unavailable.

So far, as far as I've gotten, it's split down the middle, and I'm still weeding out the posts that didn't contribute.

But I said I would reopen it, so I did. I didn't say I'd have an answer.

But, so far, I think the outcome is that labeling the threads as to what they are about is working just fine. People have even started labeling their own threads.

Groundspeak doesn't work weekends, and I haven't finished reading it all and FSM is unavailable.

So far, as far as I've gotten, it's split down the middle, and I'm still weeding out the posts that didn't contribute.

But, so far, I think the outcome is that labeling the threads as to what they are about is working just fine. People have even started labeling their own threads.

After watching over the weekend, labeling the threads has worked great. I would still like to see that the contest threads close after they are complete. Which I've seen that happen since it has been discussed.

After watching over the weekend, labeling the threads has worked great. I would still like to see that the contest threads close after they are complete. Which I've seen that happen since it has been discussed.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it works great, but it is more helpful than the way it was.

Thank you for your continuing hard work to make things smoother for the rest of us! I hope you ended up getting a chance to go caching (it's the least you deserve :laughing: ) and we're looking forward to hearing the outcome whatever it might be. :P

I think that merging all contests into on pinned tread is the same as saying that we don't want contests at all. There's no way that anyone can stay updated on what happends in the contests if there is more than 1 or 2 running at the same time...

A sub-forum would work great I think.

The missions I think is a form of trading and can stay with the other topics.

That's my opinion...

Is there a way to have a "special" slot for cointest then let them have a sub slot . . .

COINTEST POSTIGS

I haven't a clue BUT I do know that cointests are VERY Vital items in these here forums so called off limit or not, This is about US as a group . . . . WE DON'T BELONG IN "OFF TOPICS" ( Yes, I AM shouting!).

YES, cointest are OFTEN off topic - That is how we get to know each other, become friends, and share our joys , tribulations, angst .

Please don't separate us

You know the song . . . "We are Family" WELL ? ! ? ! ?

oh the horror.

Wow, what a lot of discussion about appropriate discussion. I’ll be uncharacteristically brief and say cointests are cool. I tend to ignore them but think they are ultimately about coins and have no problem with the here. Missions are about coins and community (especially some of the more interesting ones – souvenir mission as an example) and I would really hate to see them go. If I don’t have the time or inclination, I can ignore them too.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it works great, but it is more helpful than the way it was.

I agree it's not great.

WE will never get a true view of where the community stands as alot of the people who hated the way the forums have gone, just don't bother posting here anymore. For those who think it has no adverse effect and this is so vital of a means to be as one, this should be a prime example of how much this has driven people away.

Wow, what a lot of discussion about appropriate discussion. I’ll be uncharacteristically brief and say cointests are cool. I tend to ignore them but think they are ultimately about coins and have no problem with the here. Missions are about coins and community (especially some of the more interesting ones – souvenir mission as an example) and I would really hate to see them go. If I don’t have the time or inclination, I can ignore them too.

No one waas saying they need to go, just be moved. That is the spin some people are using to gather support for their "cause" of not moving them and allowing them to remain as is. Seems some people are afraid of change.

No one waas saying they need to go, just be moved. That is the spin some people are using to gather support for their "cause" of not moving them and allowing them to remain as is. Seems some people are afraid of change.

Like you :P ?

I think that we as a part don't want to move

Is there a way to have a "special" slot for cointest then let them have a sub slot . . .

COINTEST POSTIGS

I haven't a clue BUT I do know that cointests are VERY Vital items in these here forums so called off limit or not, This is about US as a group . . . . WE DON'T BELONG IN "OFF TOPICS" ( Yes, I AM shouting!).

YES, cointest are OFTEN off topic - That is how we get to know each other, become friends, and share our joys , tribulations, angst .

Please don't separate us

oh the horror.

Yours is only one view, and not the view of the entire community. You even admit it yourself in your post that these are mostly off topic, but yet you think they should be here just because they make you feel warm and fuzzy? Please. Whatever happened to just posting where it needs to be? You guys act like posting in the off topic area would make your words somehow fall on deaf ears. Heck I am all for you having a place close to here and not having to play in the big parking lot called OT. Give you guys a small parking lot to park the bus and play your games. Wouldn't be better for you who wants to play games to go to one place and see nothing but missions and cointests. think of it as your one stop shop for fun without the hassle of looking at all that technical stuff about coins.

The point is this place needs cleaned up and needs so badly. The community needs the ability to come to the Geocoin Discussions to find, well, you know, Geocoin Discussions. Otherwise change the title to Geocoin Discussions and the games they play.

Like you :P ?

Nope not afraid of change at all. I want change. I have had to deal with change since the inception of coin after coin being produced without regard to caching, courtesy, or even copyright. It's why I buy a lot less coins now.

I don't understand your second line.

COINTEST POSTIGS

Please don't separate us

oh the horror.

Yours is only one view, and not the view of the entire community. You even admit it yourself in your post that these are mostly off topic, but yet you think they should be here just because they make you feel warm and fuzzy? Please. Whatever happened to just posting where it needs to be? You guys act like posting in the off topic area would make your words somehow fall on deaf ears. Heck I am all for you having a place close to here and not having to play in the big parking lot called OT. Give you guys a small parking lot to park the bus and play your games. Wouldn't be better for you who wants to play games to go to one place and see nothing but missions and cointests. think of it as your one stop shop for fun without the hassle of looking at all that technical stuff about coins.

The point is this place needs cleaned up and needs so badly. The community needs the ability to come to the Geocoin Discussions to find, well, you know, Geocoin Discussions. Otherwise change the title to Geocoin Discussions and the games they play.

Of course, Mine is only one view AS well as YOURS is only 1 view . .

If you read what I posted, you would see that I feel we need a "sub division Maybe I don't say it right But That is what I have been saying.

Nope not afraid of change at all. I want change. I have had to deal with change since the inception of coin after coin being produced without regard to caching, courtesy, or even copyright. It's why I buy a lot less coins now.

I haven't read through this whole topic yet, but I can't see why there couldn't be a section in the geocoin area that was set aside at the buttom for missions/cointests. I certainly wouldn't want to see them go away completely, and I can't see where they would belong anywhere else in the forums. The ragular sections are not the place, and OT does not have the audience I seek for a cointest

Oops, I forgot to include the part that connects to your quote, although a slight tangent.....I have also been bothered at times when I see a coin which apears to ignore the copyrights of someone else.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Like you :D ?

I don't understand your second line.

I think what I wrote was about most of us don't want to be forced over to OT. just a sub division of the geocoin section. I am Not pretending to speak for the majority. I consider myself "WE" SORRY for the misunderstanding (sually, what I write goes un noticed so it is a shock that some one actually picked up on that )

If you read what I posted, you would see that I feel we need a "sub division Maybe I don't say it right But That is what I have been saying.

I guess you have changed your view since you posted this:

"I personally don't think the cointests are OT. When I run one I would like to direct it to the appropiate audience ie coiners. For the most part they are not in the OT thread."

EXACTLY :D

So either they are OT and should be moved or they aren't. Which is your view/vote? You can't have it both ways.

I guess you have changed your view since you posted this:

"I personally don't think the cointests are OT. When I run one I would like to direct it to the appropiate audience ie coiners. For the most part they are not in the OT thread."

EXACTLY :D

So either they are OT and should be moved or they aren't. Which is your view/vote? You can't have it both ways.

WHY NOT

COINTEST POSTIGS

Please don't separate us

oh the horror.

:D So if I understand this right, you both think that we need one place to go (close to here) where we can play cointests? I think we've collided into agreement! :D I believe the OT forums have their own forums off of the main thread branching because they're off topic of all aspects of caching. I don't think something as specific as cointests or any contest should all go into OT. The fact that this is a specific category of talk shows a need for it's own directory. If anything, they might warrant their own branch off the main (but I don't think we have those kinds of numbers at all), but within the coin forums would probably be the ticket. :D

How about a child board for new coin sales and announcements? Then let the cointests and missions go on as they are now?

How about the other way around since the coins are what the site is about and the secondary thing would be the cointests and missions. I think this is something that most would be able to live with. The ones wanting coins can find them in that section. The ones wanting cointests and missions can find that easily. Both could fall under the geocoin header and would be two seperate forums in the same area.

How about a child board for new coin sales and announcements? Then let the cointests and missions go on as they are now?

How about the other way around since the coins are what the site is about and the secondary thing would be the cointests and missions. I think this is something that most would be able to live with. The ones wanting coins can find them in that section. The ones wanting cointests and missions can find that easily. Both could fall under the geocoin header and would be two seperate forums in the same area.

Amen!

:D So if I understand this right, you both think that we need one place to go (close to here) where we can play cointests? I think we've collided into agreement! :D I believe the OT forums have their own forums off of the main thread branching because they're off topic of all aspects of caching. I don't think something as specific as cointests or any contest should all go into OT. The fact that this is a specific category of talk shows a need for it's own directory. If anything, they might warrant their own branch off the main (but I don't think we have those kinds of numbers at all), but within the coin forums would probably be the ticket. :D

I'll agree to it. Where do I sign? This has been my stance since the begining. I feel there is enough of a connection to coins to remain here, and I undertsand the difference in area clicks. Now the hard part is getting GC to actually start the new area, that is after you get all the other people to agree to this format.

Sounds like you are finally catching on as to what I for one (1) have been trying to convey :D

Sounds like you are finally catching on as to what I for one (1) have been trying to convey :D

Like Bonk - I could have had a V-8

Well I am open to either solution. It seems that we (those in favor of asking for a separate child board for missions and cointests) are asking for flexibility of others. I don't think it would be terribly difficult for us to show some flexibility as well.

And then the sales/announcements of new coins have their own special place where no one can miss them.

OK, firstly, please let's remeember to try our best to keep our statements to the topic at hand, rather than aimed at one another.

Here's my opinion as to why cointests ARE on topic in the geocoin forum......

A cointest is a method of distributing coins, just like a sale or trade. If this is the place to discuss sales or trades, then it is the place for distribution through a competition/drawing as well.

Amen!

Ditto that Amen! This forum is for Geocoin DISCUSSION. So all discussions about geocoins should remain in the main forum topic.

I'll agree to it. Where do I sign? This has been my stance since the begining. I feel there is enough of a connection to coins to remain here, and I undertsand the difference in area clicks. Now the hard part is getting GC to actually start the new area, that is after you get all the other people to agree to this format.

This is what I would also like to see done. A sub-section to this forum for all the fluff.

This is what I would also like to see done. A sub-section to this forum for all the fluff.

But who would decide what is the "fluff"?

I like the bold words in the front of the titles like NEW COIN, MISSION, COINTEST etc. It is easy to scroll to what I want to read. It reminds me of another board--freecycle where each has in the front of the title OFFER, WANTED etc

Since it seems that TPTB might be looking at this thread (or at least that Eartha is looking at it), I will toss out my suggestion for how I would suggest the forums be organized.

Under "Geocaching Hitchhikers", currently there are two sub-forums: "The Travel Bug" and "Geocoin Discussions".

I would suggest expanding these sub-forums as follows:

The Travel Bug -- no change

Geocoin General Discussions -- random catch all topics, including Cointests

Geocoin Announcements -- discuss new coins, possible coins, etc. (i.e., talk about coins themselves)

Geocoin Trading -- move the currently pinned topic here, and also put Missions here (since Missions are a form of trading).

Names could perhaps be refined, but you get the idea, I hope.

Since it seems that TPTB might be looking at this thread (or at least that Eartha is looking at it), I will toss out my suggestion for how I would suggest the forums be organized.

Under "Geocaching Hitchhikers", currently there are two sub-forums: "The Travel Bug" and "Geocoin Discussions".

Geocoin Announcements -- discuss new coins, possible coins, etc. (i.e., talk about coins themselves)

Geocoin Trading -- move the currently pinned topic here, and also put Missions here (since Missions are a form of trading).

I second this motion (idea). Excellent. :D

I suggested this earlier and as an old-schooler I would leave the Geocoin Discussion at the top, then have cointests in their own subfolder and missions in their own subfolder. The Geocoin Discussion folder would be left with trading/buying/selling/general discussions.

Putting mission in the trading thread wouldn't work at all. They would get mixed up with the trade offers and you couldn't follow the mission you were looking for and often there are more than one going on at a time. Unless of course you are talking about a subforum under the trade heading. Each specific mission needs its own thread.

Putting mission in the trading thread wouldn't work at all. They would get mixed up with the trade offers and you couldn't follow the mission you were looking for and often there are more than one going on at a time. Unless of course you are talking about a subforum under the trade heading. Each specific mission needs its own thread.

Yes, each Mission would have its own thread, and there would be multiple trading threads (not just one gigantic mixed up thread like there is now), in my scenario.