What's the rule on logbooks?

A cache has just been approved in Leicester where the owner expected any visiting cacher to put the logbook in for him. He simply placed a scrap piece of paper in it and wrote in the cache description that we are to replace it with a logbook, not him, transcribing over any visitors :anibad:

He's a total newbie with less than 10 caches but still...

I was under the impression that the basic rules consist of a proper logbook and a cache container, swaps being incidental. Am I right to be unimpressed or should I just quietly fume? :rolleyes:

A cache has just been approved in Leicester where the owner expected any visiting cacher to put the logbook in for him. He simply placed a scrap piece of paper in it and wrote in the cache description that we are to replace it with a logbook, not him, transcribing over any visitors :anibad:

I was under the impression that the basic rules consist of a proper logbook and a cache container, swaps being incidental. Am I right to be unimpressed or should I just quietly fume? :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that a logbook was a pre-requisite for a cache as well. Its a bit cheeky to expect whoever gets the FTF to furnish the cache with a logbook.

FTF - First to Furnish (a logbook)

Ian

Edited by studlyone

wow that would really anoy me :< thats just not fair if you cant or dont have the right things to place a cache should you even place one? tsk tsk! ill fume with you!

Edited by Geo.Kitten

There has to be something to sign... some of mine are flat pieces of paper, but that's how they are, its the asking / expecting someone else to do yopur maintenance that's wrong. Perhaps a 'Needs Maintenance' would highlight the situation... after a private email to the owner. Cheers MaxKim.

I have to admit to doing something similar - I was replacing a cache and got there only to realise I had forgotten the log book! :rolleyes: So I left a piece of paper there as a temporary log and asked if a subsequent finder wouldn't mind leaving a log book if they got there before I did. However, I wouldn't *expect* it to be done - I would go back and add a log book if necessary (in fact it is necessary in my case).

Lisa

I have to admit to doing something similar - I was replacing a cache and got there only to realise I had forgotten the log book! :rolleyes: So I left a piece of paper there as a temporary log and asked if a subsequent finder wouldn't mind leaving a log book if they got there before I did. However, I wouldn't *expect* it to be done - I would go back and add a log book if necessary (in fact it is necessary in my case).

Lisa

Totally agree, their is a huge difference between replacing a cache and forgetting a logbook (everyone is human) to initially placing a cache and intending for someone else to place a loogbook in it. Some caches are designed so that the only solution is a slip of paper in it and thats fine but it sounds like this one is big enough for a logbook so it should have had one when it was placed. Not sure what their motive was but I guess a gentle e-mail would be the answer it may just be an education issue. Edited by studlyone

lol - I hid a cache last year and got all sorts of gyp from people (good-natured, though) because they'd had to leave a log book in there.

The log-book I put in when I hid the cache is probably still there, still in it's baggy, at the bottom of the cache under the swaps.......

:rolleyes::anibad:

Yes your right the minimum requirements for a cache are a log book/sheet/slip [dependant on the size of the cache and a container. In the case you mention if a quiet email explaining that it's the responsibility of the cache owner to provide the log book doesn't work. Please let me have the GC No of the cache and I'll take the appropriate action until the owner has supplied the required log book/sheet/slip.

I did a new puzzle cache yesterday that had a log book but no stash sheet and it also included a stack of business cards for the 'business' the puzzle clue was based. :anibad:

I told the owner of his stash sheet ommission and that he should remove the business cards.

It turns out he is the 'Managing Director' for the business involved. He is a newbie with 8 finds.

At least I know he had permission to plant the cache .... it was on the edge of 'his' property :rolleyes:

Perhaps this could lead to a new trend for caches? The cache setter just publishs co-ordinates, and the FTF is expected to prvide the container, logbook, goodies and maybe even a second to find prize. :huh::rolleyes::anibad:

ayepee

...and I bet that won't be the 1st time that has happened. :ph34r:

I did a new puzzle cache yesterday that had a log book but no stash sheet and it also included a stack of business cards for the 'business' the puzzle clue was based. :)

I told the owner of his stash sheet ommission and that he should remove the business cards.

It turns out he is the 'Managing Director' for the business involved. He is a newbie with 8 finds.

At least I know he had permission to plant the cache .... it was on the edge of 'his' property :D

Quite a few of the caches I find, and place - in fact most of them - don't have a stash sheet.

I wasn't aware it was a condition now.

Quite a few of the caches I find, and place - in fact most of them - don't have a stash sheet.

I wasn't aware it was a condition now.

Don't know whether it's a condition or not but as far as possible, (nanos are a bit of a problem! :) ), I would have thought it's a good idea so that muggles know what's going on. If someone finds a cache by accident and there is nothing to say what it is about, we can hardly complain if something happens to it. And I don't think just writing "check www.geocaching.com" is enough.