Private cache notes

ejanesten

I would like a way to save private notes for each cache that only I can read. For example if I find the first cache of a multi but don't have time to finish it or if I figure out the coordinates for the mystic cache but can't go get it straight away, then I'd like to be able to save this information on the cache page but not visible for other players (to avoid spoiling). I'm currently saving all my notes in my desktop, but then I can't reach them while not at home.

I would like a way to save private notes for each cache that only I can read. For example if I find the first cache of a multi but don't have time to finish it or if I figure out the coordinates for the mystic cache but can't go get it straight away, then I'd like to be able to save this information on the cache page but not visible for other players (to avoid spoiling). I'm currently saving all my notes in my desktop, but then I can't reach them while not at home.

PDA phone? Save the notes to the phone.

I use GPX Sonar on my PPC. So with GSAK, I can transfer my personal notes to my PPC.

This is actually a good suggestion. It would be handy to have a private field like this! :grin:

P.S. I don't have a fancy phone (yet).

Edited by TrailGators

Bookmark them. I know the notes are on a separate page, but other than that, it meets the needs you specified.

Yeah, I was going to suggest a private bookmark, too.

However, a "secret" log-type would be very useful in that it could be sent down in PQs so they would be associated with cache offline as well. (Obviously, a private log would only be sent to the person who wrote it.)

Additionally, a "private" log-type would be helpful for private notes to the cache owner. Only the CO and the author would be able to see them so cache issues that you don't want public could be discussed. Of course, there is the email function, but the "secret" and "private" log-types would keep the cache history on the cache page.

Also should be nice, if there will be also possibility to update cache coordinates (when Mystery or multi), and then i could see this cache on map and in search on my own coordinates. So i could plan my trip without clicking on each cache and checking if it is solved and for it's coordinates.

Also should be nice, if there will be also possibility to update cache coordinates (when Mystery or multi), and then i could see this cache on map and in search on my own coordinates. So i could plan my trip without clicking on each cache and checking if it is solved and for it's coordinates.

This is a very nice idea! Would be much more useful then just a note (at least to me). A solved puzzle should show up at the coordinates I need to go to, not 2km from that, especially in a PQ.

This is a very nice idea! Would be much more useful then just a note (at least to me). A solved puzzle should show up at the coordinates I need to go to, not 2km from that, especially in a PQ.

My workaround involves entering puzzle cache coordinates into a CSV file, then using GPSBabel to "patch" the appropriate PQ.

I've fussed with this for a while and my latest is to copy the cache entry in GSAK to a special database (Solved Puzzles) and update the coordinates with the solutions. Then I can export them directly to my GPS with the solved coordinates - all at one time.

Problem with PQs is that they overwrite the original listing when updating.

Sorry, I'm old fashioned. I have a composition notebook that I keep all my stuff in.

I program them into my GPS, but I also keep a hard copy of COORDS and notes that I make.

Then if I ever have a question or need to find the cache again, I can just open the notebook an find it.

Interesting reading too sometimes!

Plus the notebook can be taken into the field..

Edited by wapahani

I've fussed with this for a while and my latest is to copy the cache entry in GSAK to a special database (Solved Puzzles) and update the coordinates with the solutions. Then I can export them directly to my GPS with the solved coordinates - all at one time.

Problem with PQs is that they overwrite the original listing when updating.

Use the corrected coordinates feature in GSAK (right moue click on the waypoint). This was designed mainly for puzzle caches and the coordinates will not get overridden the next time you load a PQ

If you have GSAK, you can also use the "child waypoints" feature. In a simple puzzle cache I enter a child waypoint as a final location, i.e. if the cache were GCXXXX, I enter as FLXXXX. I then have the export configured so these child waypoints are exported to my GPS as well.

That way if I solve a puzzle and don't get around to doing the actual cache for a month or two, it still is in my GPS and I don't have to maintain a seperate database and it's not overwritten each time I update the GSAK database.

This also works great with multi's. Complete 3 of 7 stages on a mult and have to call it day. Update them as child waypoints (stages of a multi) in GSAK when you get home. Once you download your waypoints again into the GPS and go back to the multi you'll have all the stages (you've found) marked, the original coordinates and they'll all be on a map as well.

Edited by Morning Dew