Stumbling across illegal plants.

It's my public land as well and I shouldn't be afraid to use certain parts of it.

That's probably the best argument against the `leave well enough alone' idea I've seen here. Personally, I don't believe that marijuana is a horrible drug, in fact I believe it's somewhat less harmful than alcohol, and very much less harmful than tobacco, but that's an issue for another forum. The fact is it's illegal, and the criminal element that surrounds it is the real danger. If somebody grows it on their private property, that's their business (still illegal of course, but not my business, and in fact I shouldn't be there in the first place), but public property is designed for us, the public. Don't ever let the places you enjoy be taken over by criminals.

WadCutter: So if you don't report a field that's boobytrapped and the next cacher with small kids happen to get injured or killed then you don't feel any responsibility for not reporting?

We don't really care what your personal beliefs are on pot but at least we know where your morals are at anyway.

First let me repeat again that I respect your background and the work you do. I am glad that we have people that are so passionate like yourself doing your job. It makes me feel safer and better protected.

This thread asked the question of what I would do if I encountered a illegal plants while caching. I think I was pretty clear that my answer really depended on several factors. I know it disappoints you, but there are situations where I think I would just move on and not lose any sleep over it.

However, you just added a very new and fairly dramatic twist to this by stating that I just said I would not report a booby trapped field that small children would encounter. Then you took an astronomical leap and questioned my morals based on the scenario you just made up. I sincerely hope you don't use this type of fact finding in your work because if you do.... there's probably a ton of innocent folks in jail.

He actually made no change to the OP's scenario. He wasn't saying that you wouldn't report a field that was known to have a boobytrap. He was making the point that you might not know whether the field that you didn't report was boobytrapped, or not.
It's my public land as well and I shouldn't be afraid to use certain parts of it.
That's probably the best argument against the `leave well enough alone' idea I've seen here. Personally, I don't believe that marijuana is a horrible drug, in fact I believe it's somewhat less harmful than alcohol, and very much less harmful than tobacco, but that's an issue for another forum. The fact is it's illegal, and the criminal element that surrounds it is the real danger. If somebody grows it on their private property, that's their business (still illegal of course, but not my business, and in fact I shouldn't be there in the first place), but public property is designed for us, the public. Don't ever let the places you enjoy be taken over by criminals.
I made the same point about homeless encampments a while back and was attacked pretty soundly for it. Let's hope you fair better.

obviously none of you drive I-76/I-80 through nebraska or you would see thousands of pot plants growing along the highway both on public and private land. these plants were grown for they're hemp values not they're thc value and everyone around here knows it as well as law enforcement. i know of 1 rest area where it is everywhere and talked to a trooper there a number of years ago who told me they get hundreds of calls a week by travelers stopping there. they can't do anything about it because it grows wild everywhere.

now what would you do if you came acrss a still in the middle of the woods. this happened to my cousin and i in the late 60's in south carolina. first we thought it was cool, boys being boys and all we started checking things out before my cousin turned white and said run. he had said he heard a shotgun being pumped and he freaked, we bolted. once home we told our parents, they called the local authorities who told them they knew about it but said they just left them alone. we never went back.

growing up on the eastern shores of maryland i never once saw a pot plant, but did on occasion, again, stumbled across a still hunting, again, bolted. returned back home and reported it to the local cops and was told to leave it alone and not go back as moonshiners did't like unexpected company and i could get shot. i thought this was a bunch of crap since i was legally hunting on public land but was simply told to not return to the area.

if i was to happen to encounter either of these, i would just leave and simple not return. though i would imagine moonshiners could be more dangerous then some pothead. but even so, having reported these to law enforcement previously and being told to leave it alone i would simply do that.

Been there.

Done that.

Found a rather large operation on some rather obscure jeep trails last year. They'd done a pretty good job of hiding it (interspersing, really) and we discovered it as we were following bear tracks.

We looked around a bit longer (to see how expansive it was), left, and as soon as we were within cell range we called a friend of ours who's with the county police.

Area location noted, coordinates given and that was all.

In some areas you can set up an 'account' with the local constabulary where, when you do things like... report a grow, or turn in plants you've pulled from the ground they actually give you money based on plant count or turn-ins. They gave us the number but we didn't call. We do, however, have friends in forest service, and who provide security for privately owned logging areas have have accounts and turn in plants on a regular basis.

$$

Meth is a much larger 'hazard' around here.

michelle

Last year I had a rather large field that I was growing some herb in, and I thought for sure nobody would ever find it. Just in case some hikers walked up I wanted to scare them away but didn't want to use booby-traps again, so this time I put out a fake set of bear tracks. I figured that someone hiking up that far would be an experienced hiker, and they'd recognize them and leave the area.

It didn't work. Some iggy apparently FOLLOWED the tracks looking for the bear!! When they found my stash they called the law, and before I could pay them off they raided the entire field. Eh, it was more trouble than it was worth having to hike up there anyway.

I've switched to growing Meth bushes now.

Last year I had a rather large field that I was growing some herb in, and I thought for sure nobody would ever find it. Just in case some hikers walked up I wanted to scare them away but didn't want to use booby-traps again, so this time I put out a fake set of bear tracks. I figured that someone hiking up that far would be an experienced hiker, and they'd recognize them and leave the area.

It didn't work. Some iggy apparently FOLLOWED the tracks looking for the bear!! When they found my stash they called the law, and before I could pay them off they raided the entire field. Eh, it was more trouble than it was worth having to hike up there anyway.

I've switched to growing Meth bushes now.

Yeah, those meth berries are much better.

That being said, I do like that the county police have started simply giving the finder a percentage of the stash, rather than waiting until it is sold and giving cash.

Edited by sbell111

Being somewhat of a vigilante, my response to stumbling upon an outdoor grow operation depends on the maturity of the suspect plants.

Early in the season I'd mark a waypoint and continue on my caching adventure.

In the fall, I'd snip off the tops of the plants thereby rendering them useless to the grower. Then I'd CITO the clippings.

Problem solved without wasting tax dollars......

WadCutter: So if you don't report a field that's boobytrapped and the next cacher with small kids happen to get injured or killed then you don't feel any responsibility for not reporting?

We don't really care what your personal beliefs are on pot but at least we know where your morals are at anyway.

First let me repeat again that I respect your background and the work you do. I am glad that we have people that are so passionate like yourself doing your job. It makes me feel safer and better protected.

This thread asked the question of what I would do if I encountered a illegal plants while caching. I think I was pretty clear that my answer really depended on several factors. I know it disappoints you, but there are situations where I think I would just move on and not lose any sleep over it.

However, you just added a very new and fairly dramatic twist to this by stating that I just said I would not report a booby trapped field that small children would encounter. Then you took an astronomical leap and questioned my morals based on the scenario you just made up. I sincerely hope you don't use this type of fact finding in your work because if you do.... there's probably a ton of innocent folks in jail.

He actually made no change to the OP's scenario. He wasn't saying that you wouldn't report a field that was known to have a boobytrap. He was making the point that you might not know whether the field that you didn't report was boobytrapped, or not.

Thanks again.. your input is always consistent.

Being somewhat of a vigilante, my response to stumbling upon an outdoor grow operation depends on the maturity of the suspect plants.

Early in the season I'd mark a waypoint and continue on my caching adventure.

In the fall, I'd snip off the tops of the plants thereby rendering them useless to the grower. Then I'd CITO the clippings.

Problem solved without wasting tax dollars......

Just the tops?

DrugPics.JPG

Edited by sbell111

Thanks again.. your input is always consistent.
As is yours. Edited by sbell111

Although I'm a noob geocacher...I've spent most of my life hiking mountain trails and in forests plus kayaking streams and rivers the past few years...oh, and many thousands of miles on my mountainbike as well not to mention all the 4-wheeling in my Jeep. I'm sure my feet odometer has tens of thousands of trail miles on it.

I have NEVER seen a single pot plant growing anywhere outdoors.

Sorry to seem like a tool here, but I think if I did find a crop I'd just chuckle and move on.

I'm almost surprised I've never seen a pot plant out in the wild, I've been reading for 20+ years how it's the #1 cash crop in America.

And I saw on one of those news magazine shows several years ago how they use those cameras on helicopters in Hawaii...I thought that was pretty neet how the plants show up as a completely different color from almost anything else. Crazy watching the guys dangling from the choppers on ropes to cut down the plants!!

I remember hearing from friends that grew up in Vermont that it's a pretty common plant growing wild along streams and stuff all over the state...dunno the validity of that though, like I said, I've never seen a pot plant growing anywhere (And I've never hiked in Vermont).

I think if you generally stay on trails and back roads you will not stumble across any, the growers plant their gardens off the beaten track just so they will not be stumbled on. Here in Dallas last year Helicopters found several big gardens in south west Dallas County, it seemed like they found one everyother day for about 2 weeks. Now these were big operations of over 100 plants each but again these were off the beaten path in very secluded areas. I myself have never stumbled across any myself and I have hiked alot myself but again I usually stick to trails and seldom bushwack other than geocaching once and a while.

Depending where you are, this can be quite dangerous. It's not unheard of for growers to pin snakes around gardening stakes to frighten or wound thieves. Another popular method is to rig a shotgun shell to a trip wire, it likely won't kill you but could cause severe trauma.

Also, you wouldn't want to be around when the owner shows, depending on who they are.

I have no problem w/ marijuana, but it doesn't need to be on public land. A anonymous tip would be my choice. I'd also notify the cache owner.

Depending where you are, this can be quite dangerous. It's not unheard of for growers to pin snakes around gardening stakes to frighten or wound thieves. Another popular method is to rig a shotgun shell to a trip wire, it likely won't kill you but could cause severe trauma.

Also, you wouldn't want to be around when the owner shows, depending on who they are.

I have no problem w/ marijuana, but it doesn't need to be on public land. A anonymous tip would be my choice. I'd also notify the cache owner.

Actually.....

Boobytrapped grow operations are quite rare. The El Dorado california sheriffs office posts that fewer than 1 in 200 grow operations have some sort of boobytrap. Unless you are seriously bushwhacking, it's not likely that you'll encounter a grow operation of any kind as they are usually well hidden and off the beaten track. You're probably in more danger from getting mugged in the woods....or stabbing yourself with a banned penknife in an ammocan.

Actually.....

Boobytrapped grow operations are quite rare. The El Dorado california sheriffs office posts that fewer than 1 in 200 grow operations have some sort of boobytrap. Unless you are seriously bushwhacking, it's not likely that you'll encounter a grow operation of any kind as they are usually well hidden and off the beaten track. You're probably in more danger from getting mugged in the woods....or stabbing yourself with a banned penknife in an ammocan.

Thank-you for a real stat to work with.

Since my chances are -1 in a whole lot- of ever running across a growing operation to start with. One in -even more than a whole lot- that I found this patch where small children or day hikers would ever venture. And finally... one in less than 200 after I beat those insurmountable odds that there is a real danger of another person falling into a punji pit if I don't report it .... I hope my moral character isn't called into question if this doesn't crack my top 25 of things to be concerned about when hiking.

I do however solemnly swear to report every patch of suspicious green plant material that I encounter that has a machine gun nest, a punji pit, trip wire around the perimeter, or is guarded by an army of AK-47 carrying mercenaries.

Actually.....

Since my chances are -1 in a whole lot- of ever running across a growing operation to start with. One in -even more than a whole lot- that I found this patch where small children or day hikers would ever venture. And finally... one in less than 200 after I beat those insurmountable odds that there is a real danger of another person falling into a punji pit if I don't report it .... I hope my moral character isn't called into question if this doesn't crack my top 25 of things to be concerned about when hiking.

I do however solemnly swear to report every patch of suspicious green plant material that I encounter that has a machine gun nest, a punji pit, trip wire around the perimeter, or is guarded by an army of AK-47 carrying mercenaries.

Someone else would certainly see that 'statistic' as a call to action. They might not think that a 1 in 200 chance of risking the next geocacher's life as being acceptable and, therefore, be motivated to report the activity.

It's funny how different people can see the same 'statistic' and have it lead them in different direction.

(Also, it should be noted that boobytraps are not the only danger to wandering up on one of these operations.)

Edited by sbell111

Actually.....

Someone else would certainly see that 'statistic' as a call to action. They might not think that a 1 in 200 chance of risking the next geocacher's life as being acceptable and, therefore, be motivated to report the activity.

It's funny how different people can see the same 'statistic' and have it lead them in different direction.

(Also, it should be noted that boobytraps are not the only danger to wandering up on one of these operations.)

Ankle guards activated.

Actually.....

Ankle guards activated.

Yup. You are nothing.if not consistent.

So, I was in Jamaica, oh, a few months after I started caching. It's a pot smokers dream down there, you know?. Beings as it was Jamaica it wasn't too difficult to score a pipe and a decent sized baggie of weed.

Since it was still a little early, and not yet too hot (as if), we decided to find a couple of caches before... well, you know.

We were pretty stoked about how our evening plans were working out and had even hit the market to buy a few things so we wouldn't have to go out later. We'd found a couple of caches but then someone started talking about how heinous the fuzz had been recently with tourists that had been caught with pot.

We blew him off... no worries, man.

Imagine how ticked we were when we got back to the hotel and realized the jerk must have dropped our baggie in one of the caches we'd found... and the pipe in another.

Hope the next guy enjoyed it.

If you want to grow the stuff and smoke it, have at it. But don't expect me to be around you or condone it. Where I think they crossed the line is putting it on public property in an attempt to reduce their chances of getting caught. Although I have not run into any pot fields, I have run into Meph labs which can be much more dangerous if disturbed. If an area is seen as a "safe haven" for one drug then it will be for others as well, leading to a downward spiral. It needs to be reported through whatever method you prefer.

I've logged lots and lots of miles off trail while Orienteering, mapping and course designing on public lands. I've only seen one pot patch. I marked it's exact location on my map, called the Game Commission and mailed them the map. They called back for me to lead them in since they couldn't find it, so I went back out and took them to it. They said they were going to install some cameras. Never heard anything more.

I've logged lots and lots of miles off trail while Orienteering, mapping and course designing on public lands. I've only seen one pot patch. I marked it's exact location on my map, called the Game Commission and mailed them the map. They called back for me to lead them in since they couldn't find it, so I went back out and took them to it. They said they were going to install some cameras. Never heard anything more.

How sad is it that the gubmint couldn't find someone who works for them that can read a map.

BTW, I suspect that the reason you have so much wild cannabis/hemp growing in Illinois is because hemp was farmed extensively in some of the Midwest and Great Plains states in the early 20th century and earlier; it was used for a number of industrial purposes.

You are correct. Up until the first part of the 20th century hemp was a commercial crop but not for the same reason as today. Back then it was grown for the fiberous stalks which was used to make rope. Hemp grows really well around these parts. Any place that's good for growing corn is also good for growing hemp. The THC was pretty low and it was really not the same as the commercialized pot grown today.

Thank you sbell. You are exactly correct.

How sad is it that the gubmint couldn't find someone who works for them that can read a map.

He lives in Pennsylvania; that alone explains a lot. On the other hand, at least Pennsylvania HAS a rudimentary government, whereas West Virginia is run by votes taken at Saturday afternoon tailgate moonshine parties.

BTW, I suspect that the reason you have so much wild cannabis/hemp growing in Illinois is because hemp was farmed extensively in some of the Midwest and Great Plains states in the early 20th century and earlier; it was used for a number of industrial purposes.

You are correct. Up until the first part of the 20th century hemp was a commercial crop but not for the same reason as today. Back then it was grown for the fiberous stalks which was used to make rope. Hemp grows really well around these parts. Any place that's good for growing corn is also good for growing hemp. The THC was pretty low and it was really not the same as the commercialized pot grown today.

Thank you sbell. You are exactly correct.

Okay but here is exactly what you said:

So if you don't report a field that's boobytrapped and the next cacher with small kids happen to get injured or killed then you don't feel any responsibility for not reporting?

Remember the original question was asked about our own personal experience not trying to understand the OPs specific situation where he found his (near a cache). If I found a patch that was located in a place where small children could access, I would report it and I had already said as much in an earlier post. On the other hand, if you needed climbing gear and two days of intense hiking to get to the area, as in my own experience, my answer would be different. For clarification about my moral standing, this is the situation that I would not lose sleep over.

I also said that in Hawaii, law enforcement has a very good handle on this type of activity and they really don't need (or ask) for assistance like you seem to be doing. I give them a lot of credit for a job well done and perhaps this explains my inability to wrap my mind around the idea of law enforcement relying on tips from citizens to be effective.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Ran into this exact situation a few years ago. Searching for the final in a seven series cache. Got to the location right around dark, stumbled onto a clearing with plants over an inch in diameter at the base and pretty tall (maybe 5-7 feet)

Went to the local sheriffs office, and gave them the coords. They asked me to show them, so we hiked back into the area around 9pm, pulled the plants (I found the cache then also), and dragged them back to the police car which was about a mile or so back to the road.

The area was all marked off presumably by the growers with colored ribbons etc. I think the cache is placed back there after the all the hoopla cooled down.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&Submit6=Go

Having had time to ponder this thread, I am more bemused by the idea of anyone booby-trapping pot fields.

How does that logic go... 'I think I will grow me some weed out in the forest, man, make me some money. It's illegal and sorta risky, so I think I'll rig me up a buncha hanging fish hooks and wire up some old shotguns aimed down the trail. Yeah, far out, that way if my stash gets found folks will ignore it and not call no cops. I mean, it's not much different getting busted for pot than for attempted murder, you dig what I'm sayin?'

No response to the 'should I / shouldn't I report it?' question that I have seen so far makes more sense than 'Move along, folks, nothing to see here...'

Actually.....

Rare or not, why screw with it? I have less odds of getting in a car accident every day, but I still wear my seatbelt. And we don't all live in El Dorado California.

It's nothing against marijuana, or any drug that an informed adult wants to take. I'm not taking my kids to a place where there's a 1-200 chance of them getting incapacitated by booby traps or some shady "farmer".

As a final note, the reason people grow weed on public land is to avoid a law where the police can confiscate any personal property (i.e. houses, cars) that is seen as either bought w/ drug money or contributing to drug distribution/manufacturing.

Actually.....

Rare or not, why screw with it? I have less odds of getting in a car accident every day, but I still wear my seatbelt. And we don't all live in El Dorado California.

It's nothing against marijuana, or any drug that an informed adult wants to take. I'm not taking my kids to a place where there's a 1-200 chance of them getting incapacitated by booby traps or some shady "farmer".

As a final note, the reason people grow weed on public land is to avoid a law where the police can confiscate any personal property (i.e. houses, cars) that is seen as either bought w/ drug money or contributing to drug distribution/manufacturing.

Totally agree with this, who would want those odds? The only thing is... you have to stumble across a patch FIRST to be faced with these odds. I don't care where you live, I feel very safe in saying that your odds of that happening are MUCH less favorable than 1-200. So if you factor in your chance of finding one with the odds that it would actually be booby trapped.. the real life probability is probably greater that you will be struck by lightening or attacked by a bear.

If I found a patch that was located in a place where small children could access, I would report it and I had already said as much in an earlier post. On the other hand, if you needed climbing gear and two days of intense hiking to get to the area, as in my own experience, my answer would be different.
I see. You only look for caches that families would not be able to access.
For clarification about my moral standing, this is the situation that I would not lose sleep over.
You’ve made your position very clear.
I also said that in Hawaii, law enforcement has a very good handle on this type of activity and they really don't need (or ask) for assistance like you seem to be doing. I give them a lot of credit for a job well done and perhaps this explains my inability to wrap my mind around the idea of law enforcement relying on tips from citizens to be effective.
Something tells me that this is not an attitude that the local law enforcement community fosters. It’s been my experience that law enforcement relies heavily on the populous to identify wrongdoers.
Having had time to ponder this thread, I am more bemused by the idea of anyone booby-trapping pot fields.

How does that logic go... 'I think I will grow me some weed out in the forest, man, make me some money. It's illegal and sorta risky, so I think I'll rig me up a buncha hanging fish hooks and wire up some old shotguns aimed down the trail. Yeah, far out, that way if my stash gets found folks will ignore it and not call no cops. I mean, it's not much different getting busted for pot than for attempted murder, you dig what I'm sayin?'

There is a fault to your logic. You see, the bad guys aren't counting on getting caught.

If the baddies factored getting caught into their plans, our prisons would be much emptier.

No response to the 'should I / shouldn't I report it?' question that I have seen so far makes more sense than 'Move along, folks, nothing to see here...'
You didn't even care for the 'this land is our land' argument? Interesting.

Totally agree with this, who would want those odds? The only thing is... you have to stumble across a patch FIRST to be faced with these odds. I don't care where you live, I feel very safe in saying that your odds of that happening are MUCH less favorable than 1-200. So if you factor in your chance of finding one with the odds that it would actually be booby trapped.. the real life probability is probably greater that you will be struck by lightening or attacked by a bear.
True, but if you factor in the fact that you found the pot field while searching for the cache and didn't report it, the odds for those that follow you increase to 1 in 200. How would you feel if your odds of getting struck by lightening or attacked by a bear were 1 in 200? I suspect that you'd invest in rubber booties and bear repellent.

I thought this experience was interesting and on topic - a fellow ham operator in a radio contest doing what we call "roving", driving around and operating from various locations, posted this on http://www.w0eea.com/rovradio.htm

Later on that same trip the third interesting incident occurred. We were chased out

of a marijuana field in Western Kentucky by three well armed 'farmers' in a pick-up

truck. They followed us for miles after we left the spot where we had started setting up.

There were no NO TRESPASSING signs, no fences, no hint of private property along the

road we were on. Just three 'good ol' boys' with 12 Ga. shotguns and a desire to be left alone...

If I found a patch that was located in a place where small children could access, I would report it and I had already said as much in an earlier post. On the other hand, if you needed climbing gear and two days of intense hiking to get to the area, as in my own experience, my answer would be different.
I see. You only look for caches that families would not be able to access.
For clarification about my moral standing, this is the situation that I would not lose sleep over.
You’ve made your position very clear.
Something tells me that this is not an attitude that the local law enforcement community fosters. It’s been my experience that law enforcement relies heavily on the populous to identify wrongdoers.

There is a fault to your logic. You see, the bad guys aren't counting on getting caught.

If the baddies factored getting caught into their plans, our prisons would be much emptier.

You didn't even care for the 'this land is our land' argument? Interesting.

True, but if you factor in the fact that you found the pot field while searching for the cache and didn't report it, the odds for those that follow you increase to 1 in 200. How would you feel if your odds of getting struck by lightening or attacked by a bear were 1 in 200? I suspect that you'd invest in rubber booties and bear repellent.

The stat that was shared was 1 in less than 200 of the patches "that were found" were booby trapped. Not that you have a 1 in 200 chance of encountering a booby trapped patch while caching. Those odds are much slimmer if non-existent.

The stat that was shared was 1 in less than 200 of the patches "that were found" were booby trapped. Not that you have a 1 in 200 chance of encountering a booby trapped patch while caching. Those odds are much slimmer if non-existent.
Take another read of my post.

If you (Team Geoblast) find a crop while caching, there is an almost 100% chance that the next cacher will come across the same crop, given that you don't report it. Therefore, the chance of that cacher coming across a boobytrapped crop approaches the mythical 1 in 200.

Edited by sbell111

I would let the cache owner know of the pot plants you found at the very least. I have come across some shady people and pretty much decided to leave being's they had guns and all. It was during hunting season. But he wanted to know why I was there and claimed I was tressprassing, even though it was public area. But I really suspected a little meth operation going on. I let the cache owner know of the whole situation and he decided to archive the cache.

We've had problems with the "left overs" from some people's meth lab's. I haven't come across one but I know people that have. In fact in seeking permission to place a cache, I was asked by the park ranger that I not use anything that looked like it belonged to a meth lab. Which I still have know idea what one would look like.

But at the least I would let the cache owner know about it and decide what they want to do.

I thought about this for two days.

Walk away. Put a note on the cache log online to other people warning them about the "dangers" of the crop found nearby. Also put a maintance log up so the owner of the cache can either close it or move it.

hell type in "Warning!! HUGE POT GROWING OPERATION" on the log.

It is public land let them do what they want there is plenty other public land for me to tromp through.

Edited by Hellolost

If you (Team Geoblast) find a crop while caching, there is an almost 100% chance that the next cacher will come across the same crop, given that you don't report it. Therefore, the chance of that cacher coming across a boobytrapped crop approaches the mythical 1 in 200.

If an illegal growing operation was that easy to find, it is indeed mythical because it wouldn't exist. So as long as we agree that you are creating an imaginary scenario of a 1-2 terrain rated cache (accessible by the general public and children) with a pot field by it planted so out in the open that that every Geocacher in the area would find it 100% of the time for sole purpose of intelligent and non-combative discussion, then I suppose you are correct in using the 1-200 statistic. I am sure you'd be relieved to note that I already stated more than once that this is an example where I would phone it in.

How long is a snake going to live pinned to a stake?

If an illegal growing operation was that easy to find, it is indeed mythical because it wouldn't exist.
For a pot field to be viable, it merely needs to be off trail. It needs to be where the normal muggle would not be likely to go. Surprisingly, that is the very location that we tend to hide caches.
So as long as we agree that you are creating an imaginary scenario of a 1-2 terrain rated cache (accessible by the general public and children) with a pot field by it planted so out in the open that that every Geocacher in the area would find it 100% of the time for sole purpose of intelligent and non-combative discussion, then I suppose you are correct in using the 1-200 statistic.
What makes you think that families can't do caches with a terrain rating over two? Also, why are you unconcerned for the safety of anyone else that might go after these caches? Finally, if you wandered into it while following your GPSr's arrow, what makes you think that another cacher wouldn't?
I am sure you'd be relieved to note that I already stated more than once that this is an example where I would phone it in.
Actually, what I've seen is you parse the issue in a number of ways to greatly limit the chance of you 'phoning it in', much as you did in this post. I've also seen you state that you wouldn't phone it in because you believed that the police didn't want your help. :laughing: Edited by sbell111

If an illegal growing operation was that easy to find, it is indeed mythical because it wouldn't exist.
For a pot field to be viable, it merely needs to be off trail. It needs to be where the normal muggle would not be likely to go. Surprisingly, that is the very location that we tend to hide caches.
So as long as we agree that you are creating an imaginary scenario of a 1-2 terrain rated cache (accessible by the general public and children) with a pot field by it planted so out in the open that that every Geocacher in the area would find it 100% of the time for sole purpose of intelligent and non-combative discussion, then I suppose you are correct in using the 1-200 statistic.
What makes you think that families can't do caches with a terrain rating over two? Also, why are you unconcerned for the safety of anyone else that might go after these caches? Finally, if you wandered into it while following your GPSr's arrow, what makes you think that another cacher wouldn't?
I am sure you'd be relieved to note that I already stated more than once that this is an example where I would phone it in.
Actually, what I've seen is you parse the issue in a number of ways to greatly limit the chance of you 'phoning it in', much as you did in this post. I've also seen you state that you wouldn't phone it in because you believed that the police didn't want your help. :D

Since you have expressed such great interest in meaningful and productive discussion, I will clarify my position for you.

1. I would phone in an illegal operation if I thought it posed a danger to cachers.

2. I am concerned about safety in the real world only.

3. The "small" children description was not mine, it was the LEO. I was shooting for the average for the sake of discussion.

4. The police in my area do not ask for help nor do they rely on tips for enforcement because it is not necessary. Obviously this is not the case where the LEO works.

4. The police in my area do not ask for help nor do they rely on tips for enforcement because it is not necessary. Obviously this is not the case where the LEO works.

Dang, and you were doing so good with your argument!

Right up till you made that silly comment. Of course the police want tips!

A simple Google search on "honolulu hawaii police tip" turns up page after page of your police acting together with citizenry through tips.

Interestingly, and something for Honolulu cachers to think about, is this theft-from-light-pole article;

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=6061761

Your police department, in fact, has a link on their home page telling people how to report drug activity!

http://www.honolulupd.org/nv/report.htm

Totally and obviously false statements like "The police in my area do not ask for help nor do they rely on tips for enforcement because it is not necessary." cost the rest of your arguments any credibility they might have had.

Edit to add - If you DO find some don't collect any and try to pay for your munchies with it - http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=...&id=6153427

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

A simple Google search on "honolulu hawaii police tip" turns up page after page of your police acting together with citizenry through tips.

Interestingly, and something for Honolulu cachers to think about, is this theft-from-light-pole article;

Your police department, in fact, has a link on their home page telling people how to report drug activity!

Totally and obviously false statements like "The police in my area do not ask for help nor do they rely on tips for enforcement because it is not necessary." cost the rest of your arguments any credibility they might have had.

I suppose I need to be really clear about what I am trying to say there in #4.

We were talking about the war on pot growers which was a huge problem in Hawaii about 20 years ago. A lot of the detection techniques and technology used other places was developed here as a result. The authorities are very proud of their results here and it is their own claim that they have won the war against the growers. Sure, you still see busts (as this is probably most ideal climate in the world to grow in) but they are fast to tell you how well they have done with it and that it is no longer a threat that it once was.

As you rightly point out they would accept a tip if given them , but they do not spend money on PR campaigns encouraging people to turn in growers anymore which is what I meant by them not asking for tips. That link you supplied was to turn drug dealers which is another subject altogether. The local rub is that they were actually so successful in curtailing the pot growing and dealing activity, that meth has taken its place.

I suppose I need to be really clear about what I am trying to say there in #4.

We were talking about the war on pot growers which was a huge problem in Hawaii about 20 years ago. A lot of the detection techniques and technology used other places was developed here as a result. The authorities are very proud of their results here and it is their own claim that they have won the war against the growers. Sure, you still see busts (as this is probably most ideal climate in the world to grow in) but they are fast to tell you how well they have done with it and that it is no longer a threat that it once was.

As you rightly point out they would accept a tip if given them , but they do not spend money on PR campaigns encouraging people to turn in growers anymore which is what I meant by them not asking for tips. That link you supplied was to turn drug dealers which is another subject altogether. The local rub is that they were actually so successful in curtailing the pot growing and dealing activity, that meth has taken its place.

Post number five in this thread makes the case that it is still an issue in your area.

How long is a snake going to live pinned to a stake?

I'm no snake expert, but from what I understand, they pierce through the rattler on the end which doesn't contain any organs, nerves, blood, etc. they then tie it w/ a length of cord, wire, rope, or whatever to the base of a plant or a garden stake. So, I think the danger to the snake may be lack of food over time rather than death due to physical trauma.

I don't know what areas of the states that Rattle Snakes are indigenous to.