Keeping coins in an unactivated cache?

softball29

I have a question for those who are the coin people...

I have several coins I've purchased or received and am keeping them for a personal collection. I have them activated so I can bring them to events and such and people can discover if they want etc.

However, question in regard to keeping these things...

I see some people have their personal coins in a cache -- seems like a personal cache. Click on the cache and it will say "you can't see the cache until it's activated" and all that. Is this OK to do?

Basically I wouldn't mind having a place to store the coins without them being in my inventory. Just wondering how this is done, what people do and if it's OK?

Thanks!

A lot of people myself Included keep our coins in an unactivated cache it's a great way to keep them separate from my inventory. as well I start all my travelers by dropping them into my "Home Cache" before sending them off into the wild.

(More directed at the OP)

A lot of folks track their cache milage by taking a coin that follows them on your caching journey. A loop of 22 caches would start at "home" and end at "home"

Since you can't use your own home coords as a cache for this purpose (a cool site feature if you could) a lot of folks will create a cache page to serve as Home so they can do this kind of tracking. The kind of thing that plumbrokeacres mentions is a new spin that I had not really noticed before.

Thanks for the thoughts and posts, everyone.

So, basically if I created a cache -- say "Softball29s groundout" or something like that and never sent it to the reviewer, but archived it -- I could store coins there? And that is legal and all that? I'd hate to have my coins somehow taken out of activation because of something like this.

Thanks for any more help. I might opt to do this to make it easier to have my coins and not have them all in my "possession."

We have a second user account "Skully's Treasure Chest" and grab the coins from Team Skully to store there. It keeps them off our inventory and they can still be discovered.

I really like the idea of a second user account! No more 'retrieving' my coins from my fictitious cache so that I can drop them in an event.

While I'm not going to tell others that they are nuts, the idea of dropping active geocoins into an unsubmitted cache is nuts ;):D:) OK, so I lied; you're nuts! :D:)

FWIW, we have a few hundred geocoins in our private collection which are all logged into an old cache of ours which was active for a couple of years, but has been archived for even longer. It's just a mile or so from home, so serves the purpose, and they are always going to be visible to others. Never had a problem with access and they don't show up in our inventory when I am writing our Find logs. I don't see the point of "wasting" a waypoint number like that, not when it is quite likely that any cacher who has been around for even a few months already has an archived cache. Granted, there are an unlimited supply of waypoints, it just seems "pointless" to do it that way, if you'll pardon the pun. If there is a practical reason for not doing it our way, I'd love to read it.

Edited by chaosmanor

While I'm not going to tell others that they are nuts, the idea of dropping active geocoins into an unsubmitted cache is nuts ;):D:) OK, so I lied; you're nuts! :D:)

FWIW, we have a few hundred geocoins in our private collection which are all logged into an old cache of ours which was active for a couple of years, but has been archived for even longer. It's just a mile or so from home, so serves the purpose, and they are always going to be visible to others. Never had a problem with access and they don't show up in our inventory when I am writing our Find logs. I don't see the point of "wasting" a waypoint number like that, not when it is quite likely that any cacher who has been around for even a few months already has an archived cache. Granted, there are an unlimited supply of waypoints, it just seems "pointless" to do it that way, if you'll pardon the pun. If there is a practical reason for not doing it our way, I'd love to read it.

I'd love to have an archived cache at my home waypoint. Granted my one archived cache is not very far from home but there is something neat about dropping coins/TBs into my home "cache" to start them off.

I would like to hear from others who do this - why they do it, the benefits of it, etc. I'm still not exactly sure why I'd want to have all my library coins activated and dropped into an archived cache...other than to get the icon on my stats page.

But if you do use a "sock puppet" account (that IS what it would be :) ), it wouldn't work for the mileage counter cuz you'd still have to drop it into a cache. So, a sock puppet account is good for inventory, Not good for mileage!

Fairyhoney :D

So I could get a cache published in my front yard and then archive it immediately and use it for my inventory and to launch coins/TBs?

Couldn't I? ;)

The reviewers likely wouldn't be happy about approving a cache only to have it immediately archived.

I was under impression that a cache has to be active for at least 3 months ;) Is this just Urban Legion?

My cache was never reviewed. I just archived it. I was told that if I didn't do that, then it would show up on the reviewer's radar. I don't know if that is true or not! LOL

I simply use my first cache, which was archived a while ago. It was a real cache, that was archived in due course after being active a while.

That way, I didn't need to create a cache just for bugs. No archiving unapproved caches, no extra storage use on the servers, etc.

I kind of think of it as recycling...

Dave_W6DPS

While I'm not going to tell others that they are nuts, the idea of dropping active geocoins into an unsubmitted cache is nuts :D:):D OK, so I lied; you're nuts! ;):)

I am nuts!

But this is not the reason why!

I like the unpublished cache for my coins because it has no history, and I'm the only one who can see it.

When I was using the archived cache, I had a few people emailing me asking me when I was going to get that cache back up so they could go grab some coins. It was archived, not disabled! I also had this guy who emailed me every time I dropped coins in it trying to get my coin numbers.

The reviewers likely wouldn't be happy about approving a cache only to have it immediately archived.

I was under impression that a cache has to be active for at least 3 months ;) Is this just Urban Legion?

My cache was never reviewed. I just archived it. I was told that if I didn't do that, then it would show up on the reviewer's radar. I don't know if that is true or not! LOL

It is true about it showing up on the Reviewers radars. I had an unpublished cache (I was working on it and getting ready to publish it) and was contacted by a Reviewer asking if and when I was going to publish my cache as someone else wanted to put one fairly nearby, and since mine was the first to exist I had first dib's on publication. So that is definitely the case.

There are so few coin collectors here in New Zealand (yet... but that number has doubled in the last 12 months) that I don't think our reviewers worry about the unpublished "coin store" caches... yet...

I am nuts!

I like the unpublished cache for my coins because it has no history, and I'm the only one who can see it.

When I was using the archived cache, I had a few people emailing me asking me when I was going to get that cache back up so they could go grab some coins. It was archived, not disabled! I also had this guy who emailed me every time I dropped coins in it trying to get my coin numbers.

LOL, that is too funny!!!!! Thankfully that hasn't happened to me. I made up a cache, and then archived it before submitting it and now can't find it..... so I have my coins in someone else's archived cache! (yes, they know about it) So far so good on not having people hounding about the cache or coins, LOL!

Sonya

I am nuts!

LOL, that is too funny!!!!! Thankfully that hasn't happened to me. I made up a cache, and then archived it before submitting it and now can't find it..... so I have my coins in someone else's archived cache! (yes, they know about it) So far so good on not having people hounding about the cache or coins, LOL!

Sonya

It was much easier to find before I archived it. But I had already dropped some coins in it before I archived it, so now I can just go to any coin on my list and click on it, and there is my top secret cache! LOL

I had an aha moment in the shower. I don't know if this is possible but...after I've released coins/bugs is it too late to drop them into my archived cache (close to home) by back dating them before I dropped them into the first real cache? That way the miles are more accurate...

I'm thinking yes - but I don't want to do anything to mess up coins/bugs that are already traveling. Has anyone else done this?

I had an aha moment in the shower. I don't know if this is possible but...after I've released coins/bugs is it too late to drop them into my archived cache (close to home) by back dating them before I dropped them into the first real cache? That way the miles are more accurate...

I'm thinking yes - but I don't want to do anything to mess up coins/bugs that are already traveling. Has anyone else done this?

There is nothing stopping you from doing this, but you are not supposed to do it because you are not suppose to log a TB/coin into a cache unless the TB/coin has actually visited the cache.

I use my own un-submitted cache to store my coin collection, but these coins will never travel, and since the cache is my home, the coins have "visited" the "cache". :)

There is nothing stopping you from doing this, but you are not supposed to do it because you are not suppose to log a TB/coin into a cache unless the TB/coin has actually visited the cache.

I use my own un-submitted cache to store my coin collection, but these coins will never travel, and since the cache is my home, the coins have "visited" the "cache". :)

Thanks for the reply. The now archived cache container is in my home next to my coin collection. So while I may not have literally dropped them into it before they left, they were less than 1 foot away from it for a few weeks. Is that sufficient? :)

Thanks for the reply. The now archived cache container is in my home next to my coin collection. So while I may not have literally dropped them into it before they left, they were less than 1 foot away from it for a few weeks. Is that sufficient? :)

I'll send you a note so not to side track the topic.