Where to buy rubber O-rings?

ArtieD

I have some of those micro cache tubes...the 1.5"x.5" cylindrical ones...and I wondered if anyone sold replacement O-rings for them. Any help in locating some would be appreciated. Thanks.

McMaster-Carr has them in bags of 100 for <$5 (give some to your friends - or me :sad: )

Here's the size for Walmart orange match safes

McMaster-Carr Part #9452K72 (Same as 9452K342)

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you'll have to type in the part number in "find products")

Main warehouse is in NJ, but they ship anywhere

A plumbing supply place might have some if you only want a small quantity. The correct size for matchsafes is "AS568A Aerospace Standard ID Number: 118". Though at a plumbing supply they would be just "118"

For your 0.5 diameter cylindrical tube, try these o-ring sizes (just a guess based on your info):

2-010 = .379 Outside Diameter (McMaster #9452K18)

2-011 = .441 Outside Diameter (McMaster #9452K19)

2-012 = .504 Outside Diameter (McMaster #9452K21)

The material you want is Buna-N.

If you can provide a link to your "micro cache tube" I might be able to match the exact size o-ring.

Better yet, PM me an address. I'll snail mail a couple of each. You tell me which size works and we'll all know.

Edited by cliff_hanger

I solved the O ring size problem by ordering a new tube and swapping it out for the leaking one, then I had the actual tube to take to the hardware store for an O ring fitting. I'm not that smart.. someone suggested it long ago when I asked if anyone knew what size to get. No one knows because there are at least three sizes being used for caches.

I'm so mad... I went to the local hardware store and asked where the o-rings were, well he walked me back there and grabbed one - opened the package and tried it out. Seemed like a good fit I guess so I said give me 10 of 'em.

Didn't have any cache, err... cash on me so I looked around for something else to buy and found some Gorilla tape, figured I'd use it for repairing caches.

Go to check out... $.79 a piece! The whole container with gasket is only $.88!

That and I just told her 'There's 10 there', so she didn't count and charged me for 10, come to find out he only gave me 9.

BAH!

Live and learn... lots of lessons in that short visit. :unsure:

Better yet, PM me an address. I'll snail mail a couple of each. You tell me which size works and we'll all know.

Thank you for the mail! I got the samples you sent yesterday and tried them out today.

It appears the above one listed works perfectly. It was very snug to put on and didn't warp or become misshapen to speak of when tightened securely.

So, my semi-professional opinion states that this is the best size for those 1.5" x .5" bison tubes.

Thanks again! :ph34r:

Thank you for the mail! I got the samples you sent yesterday and tried them out today.

It appears the above one listed works perfectly. It was very snug to put on and didn't warp or become misshapen to speak of when tightened securely.

So, my semi-professional opinion states that this is the best size for those 1.5" x .5" bison tubes.

Thanks again! :ph34r:

You're welcome. Good deal. I know there are multiple size Bison tubes and I'd like to find out what each is so that I can size o-rings for each. Maybe I'll just end up buying one of each. Since the o-ring come in bags of 100 for about $4, I could give some to my friends...

I found a Bison Tube this past Sunday and it seemed larger than .50" outside diameter. I thought about measuring it but it was on a rappelling cache (GC1AZF2) and I was dangling on a rope without a scale. - LOL

I have some of those micro cache tubes...the 1.5"x.5" cylindrical ones...and I wondered if anyone sold replacement O-rings for them. Any help in locating some would be appreciated. Thanks.

McMaster-Carr has them in bags of 100 for <$5 (give some to your friends - or me :) )

Here's the size for Walmart orange match safes

McMaster-Carr Part #9452K72

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you'll have to type in the part number in "find products")

Main warehouse is in NJ, but they ship anywhere

A plumbing supply place might have some if you only want a small quantity. The correct size for matchsafes is "AS568A Aerospace Standard ID Number: 118". Though at a plumbing supply they would be just "118"

Opps. correct Part Number is McMaster-Carr Part #9452K82

Sorry about that