What would you do?

joranda

I was caching out of state last weekend in a place I have cached before and knew of a great place for a earthcache. For any of you who don't know what a earthcache is, it is like a virtual cache, where there isn't a cache container or a log book. I stopped and talked to the land owner about placing one there on their property. As soon as I said geocaching, they said we don't allow that there, people always tear stuff up. After explaining what a earthcache was about, that it brings people to the site so they can answer some questions and have their picture taken next to it, they was happy to let me do it.

Now here lies my question. She says that they don't want any cache containers on the property. After seeing that the earthcache was published, I noticed that there is a cache on the property. The cache page says that it was placed with the property owners permission, but they told me they don't want any caches on there site. What would you do? Say nothing, and when the owner finds out, take the chance they get mad and have me remove mine too. Or do you let Groundspeak know about it?

Edited by joranda

If it were me, I'd be appreciative enough that the owner let me place the earth cache and talk to them about it first letting them know. If they do not know about it then I would talk to the owner of the cache and ask them to remove it.

Lastly, I'd report the issue to Groundspeak.

If it were me, I'd be appreciative enough that the owner let me place the earth cache and talk to them about it first letting them know. If they do not know about it then I would talk to the owner of the cache and ask them to remove it.

Lastly, I'd report the issue to Groundspeak.

Well, as I said, the land owner doesn't want any cache containers on there property.

Or do you let Groundspeak know about it?

Well, you just informally let Groundspeak know about it.

If you have contact with the owner, I'd alert them to see if they really gave permission and IF they didn't I'd nark the unauthorized cache to Groundspeak.

I wouldn't want to nark anyone out. Just what is the right thing to do?

Well, as I said, the land owner doesn't want any cache containers on there property.

Devils advocate here: What if the cacher IS the owner or a close friend of theirs?

Don't assume what you heard once is forever. ASK the owner of the property.

I just talk to them to get the permission on Sunday afternoon on my way home. The cache was placed before that. So I would think it wasn't supposed to be there. Why would she say she doesn't like caches on her property but have one there anyways?

Or do you let Groundspeak know about it?

Well, you just informally let Groundspeak know about it.

If you have contact with the owner, I'd alert them to see if they really gave permission and IF they didn't I'd nark the unauthorized cache to Groundspeak.

Nark? What is this, 1982? :anitongue: I agree with Snogans' advice above as far as contacting the owner first, (and the cache owner) although I see it's kind of non-applicable at this point. Sounds like a classic case of one person saying "go ahead" while there are other people on the inside who would say "no way".

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

...I stopped and talked to the land owner about placing one there on their property. As soon as I said geocaching, they said we don't allow that there, people always tear stuff up. After explaining what a earthcache was about, that it brings people to the site so they can answer some questions and have their picture taken next to it, they was happy to let me do it.

Now here lies my question. She says that they don't want any cache containers on the property. After seeing that the earthcache was published, I noticed that there is a cache on the property. The cache page says that it was placed with the property owners permission, but they told me they don't want any caches on there site. What would you do? Say nothing, and when the owner finds out, take the chance they get mad and have me remove mine too. Or do you let Groundspeak know about it?

I'd let the cache owner know who you spoke to and what they said. It's hard to be sure of the situation. Is she married? Speaking on behalf of her aged parents? Did her kids put the cache there? Did hubby, did hubby allow it Does she lease the land to someone else who gave permission, etc. etc. etc.

If the owner figures out the cache should be there and takes care of it, problem solved without making a federal case out of it. If it should be there, problem solved without making a federal case out of it. If you figure out the cache owner is a PITA and the Land Owner is speaking with full authority (meaning Hubby didn't give someone else permission etc.) you can step in and fix the problem directly. Every situation is different.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...I stopped and talked to the land owner about placing one there on their property. As soon as I said geocaching, they said we don't allow that there, people always tear stuff up. After explaining what a earthcache was about, that it brings people to the site so they can answer some questions and have their picture taken next to it, they was happy to let me do it.

I'd let the cache owner know who you spoke to and what they said. It's hard to be sure of the situation. Is she married? Speaking on behalf of her aged parents? Did her kids put the cache there? Did hubby, did hubby allow it Does she lease the land to someone else who gave permission, etc. etc. etc.

If the owner figures out the cache should be there and takes care of it, problem solved without making a federal case out of it. If it should be there, problem solved without making a federal case out of it. If you figure out the cache owner is a PITA and the Land Owner is speaking with full authority (meaning Hubby didn't give someone else permission etc.) you can step in and fix the problem directly. Every situation is different.

In this instance it looks like the owner of the cache in question is stepping up to handle it without intervention. Time will tell.

The cache has been disabled since the first.

GC1ARAD

Plus it was confiscated by staff members per one of the logs. I think that the OP had it pegged. This debate comes up all the time and I favor contacting the reviewer because you don't know how people are going to react.

I would have to agree with TrailGators. See if you can work out who published the cache (sometimes the first log will tell you) and e-mail them direct.

Just tell the information you have as a 'thought you should know' line and them let them take care of it. As reviewer they may already have additional information about the cache that is not available to you. All it may need is additional information placed on the cache page stating who gave permission...... or removal.

I would always contact the cache owner - who usually has good intentions - tell them what I knew and see what the response is.

Sometimes the Son says 'Yes' and doesn't tell the Father, the wife says 'YES' and forgets to tell anyone. The husband says 'Yes' and later regrets it because of Tromping, Fense damage, Cow tipping, or off route exploring in family cemetaries. Hey! Look a cememtary - Lets stomp all over this guys cousins, his Mom and Dad and that little baby that got run over by a train.

Is it O.K. if they just go up there? -- Except they Don't - they Pop up all over hells creation and come in the OTHER way.

These people ain't right 'Henry' - they went in my barn and wanted to buy that old rusty Pitch fork!