Geocoin discussions ? Family or business

T"n"T

I have to speak out. And maybe a few will join me before it gets shut down.

This Goecoin discussion area is about a community and what goes on in it. We are a family here of sorts and this for some time has been the best way we have to share what is going on with each other.

Sometimes it is about help in an idea for a coin, to let others know about what coins are coming out, what is going on with coins being made, and sometimes it is about problems we are facing sometimes those are related directly with coins and sometimes they are not.

We had a terrible event here recently and this community took a great stand for us. Why can we not take a small amout of time and space here to share the victories also.

We already know that to talk about any coin that does not make TPTB money is banned. Ok, they pay the bills here, lets help them out.

But how can one of us letting the others know that the possitive thoughts sent their way worked and that they are excited to be able to more fully participate in buying and trading coins as well as help take care of their at home family be such an issue.

Congrats on the job!!!!!! and thanks again for the prayers being sent to us. Hopefully they will continue to give us strength and reach God's ears.

In places this is a real tight knit community - sure there are people who drift in and out and don't have any interest in friendship with those here, but there are also a lot of people here who consider many others here to be real friends. Most other forums on the net do not get anywhere near the same closeness. We are Geocoin Family.

I will never ever meet most of those in here - but I have met quite a few people in the geocoin forums whom I now consider very close friend. People whom I 'converse' with frequently, whom I share many, many aspect of my life and that of my family with. And they do the same.

I really enjoy reading and finding out what others are up to, and joining in their excitement, sorrow, etc. And I just would not find these things out in another location. (Agreed - this may not be the best location for such things, but as a community maybe it is). Until now I didn't even know there is an Off-Topic forum, and having just gone to look for it I cannot even locate it. (I started at the top level of the Groundspeak forums and worked my way down - twice - and I just didn't see anything called or described as Off Topic)

Edit To Add - the fact we are a community was the entire reason I created the thread to lure out the lurkers and new members and get them to introduce themselves. I, of course, used the lure of geocoins as prizes to bring them out into the open, but as a community should we not encourage people to interact? (I guess my thread would have been closed if it wasn't for the fact it was a cointest). Maybe we need a pinned thread at the top for geocoin community chatter? It would potentially solve this issue, and I know it would be on my watch list. Anyone else think this to be a good idea?

Edited by keewee

I am new here, but I can already see how wonderful some of these people are. I am glad that I found this place.

Maybe someone (or I) should make a "Good Vibe" coin.... trackable.....with an icon.....

Does that make it more on topic for you?

Jenn

ditto I never knew there was an off topic either I just went for a trip to it I seen no one over there I knew...We know each other over here.....I really don't understand the big deal about posting"off topic" ....If the thread is getting dirty or fighting...well thats different close it down throw it away.... but a friendly thread in the "geocoin discussion" forum I see nothing wrong with it....We as prem. members "support" Groundspeak and for those that just come to "read about coins" don't open the thread lol

I feel like I am at work you can't say or do anything without being takin to the office....no time for play, no time for laughter, no time for crying just do your job and go home :rolleyes: ..... :laughing::D:D

Why can't we just talk about geocoins? I don't mind helping people that have unusual and emergency types of situations that come up, but the constant whining and moaning about every day life gets a little old. If we had threads for every problem in each individual's life it would be longer than the mail thread. The forums are where people can discuss geocoins and have input pro or con but when someone has input that doesn't fit the majority they are looked upon as not nice or mean. I believe there is a geocoin chat room that can house such conversations instead of taking up the thread each time.

Why can't we just talk about geocoins? I don't mind helping people that have unusual and emergency types of situations that come up, but the constant whining and moaning about every day life gets a little old. If we had threads for every problem in each individual's life it would be longer than the mail thread. The forums are where people can discuss geocoins and have input pro or con but when someone has input that doesn't fit the majority they are looked upon as not nice or mean. I believe there is a geocoin chat room that can house such conversations instead of taking up the thread each time.

I couldn't have said it better.

but if there was a pinned thread at the top for off topic in this fourm for us "constant whining" people then we would have some place to go and who ever didn't want to read the off topic didnt have too :rolleyes::laughing:

Why should there even be a pinned thread when there's already a whole forum dedicated to off-topic discussions?

but if there was a pinned thread at the top for off topic in this fourm for us "constant whining" people then we would have some place to go and who ever didn't want to read the off topic didnt have too :rolleyes::laughing:

Why should there even be a pinned thread when there's already a whole forum dedicated to off-topic discussions?

ya for the whole geocaching community then they would start complaning so then where do we go?....most of us spend our time in this forum...So I really don't see why it would hurt to have an off topic in here?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that forum is available to regular members, just preemies.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that forum is available to regular members, just preemies.

If that's indeed the case, one could petition TPTB to open it to all.

I still fail to see why there should be any threads, pinned or not, in the geocoin forum that do not deal with geocoins.

Well, this is a geocoin forum and I come here to read about geocoins and such related issues and nothing else.

They made an "Off-Topic" forum for such discussions.

While the above isn't how I feel personally, as a former moderator to a *very* passionate, *very* polarized mailing list my wife ran a few years back, I'd think it safe to bet my geocoin collection that there are plenty of people who feel exactly like Arthur & Trillian feel.

And while I think its a real major drag myself that off topic threads like the ones TnT and mousekatat recently started get shut down (as personally, they aren't off topic in my mind at all), I bet the moderators feel like they are between a rock and a hard place when situations like those arise.

It's a hard thing to always be consistent with such things, and when one is, most people just think you're a [insert some less than pleasant word here] anyways. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The only reason I post this is that, while I disagree with shutting down such threads myself, the moderators and folks like Arthur & Trillian are also part of this great community and, I dunno, I thought it should be noted. Especially in regards to the moderators. Being a moderator can be a very unpleasant job, as they're likely hearing it from both side...

ya for the whole geocaching community then they would start complaning so then where do we go?....most of us spend our time in this forum...So I really don't see why it would hurt to have an off topic in here?

Precisely - this is the only part of the forums I spend any time in. Period. Are the other forums communities such as this one is (or as much as this one is)? Or are they just random gatherings? I certainly think that with the level of friendship developed between a lot of people in here that it warrants having a pinned thread.

Where is this Off Topic forum?

(Yes, I am a premium member, so will be able to see it)

ohhhhhhhh is it really? ok where do the ones go that are not Preemies? we just tell them to sit there your not allowed to type?

Edited by The-Wolf-Pack

Well, this is a geocoin forum and I come here to read about geocoins and such related issues and nothing else.

They made an "Off-Topic" forum for such discussions.

While the above isn't how I feel personally, as a former moderator to a *very* passionate, *very* polarized mailing list my wife ran a few years back, I'd think it safe to bet my geocoin collection that there are plenty of people who feel exactly like Arthur & Trillian feel.

And while I think its a real major drag myself that off topic threads like the ones TnT and mousekatat recently started get shut down (as personally, they aren't off topic in my mind at all), I bet the moderators feel like they are between a rock and a hard place when situations like those arise.

It's a hard thing to always be consistent with such things, and when one is, most people just think you're a [insert some less than pleasant word here] anyways. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The only reason I post this is that, while I disagree with shutting down such threads myself, the moderators and folks like Arthur & Trillian are also part of this great community and, I dunno, I thought it should be noted. Especially in regards to the moderators. Being a moderator can be a very unpleasant job, as they're likely hearing it from both side...

Very true - the moderators are 'employed' to bestow the company virtues upon us, and make sure we all tow the company line. Hence, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. They may agree or disagree with various policies of 'the company', but either way they must preach and act policy.

There is 'being part of the community', and 'being part of the community'. I would like to think that I fall under the latter.

Thank you to Arthur & Trillian and to LadeBear68 for providing the answers to the question(s) posed.

As stated, there is already an entire Off-Topic forum dedicated to off-topic posts so there is no need to have one here.

If you don't know anybody over there - go introduce yourself. In fact, now that a few people here have been made aware of that forum and that some of the folks here want to have off topic discussions, I'm sure that a single thread over there titled something like "Geocoin off topic chat" would attract some folks from here who want to 'connect' on other topics.

This particular forum is about coins. When people have questions about where to buy coins, how to log coins, what to do about moving coins, etc. they come here. This is where they will find answers.

Discussions about new jobs, family emergencies, everyday life, stamp collecting, the best dog to buy, etc. belong in the off topic forums. Please post and discuss there.

This is not about censorship, or picking on any person. It's simply the way that the forums are structured. As somebody else mentioned, it's Groundspeak's forums and it's up to them to decide what is and is not allowable. It's up to all of us as a community to accept and abide by those standards.

Let's be honest, there is currently a LOT of leeway on these boards. This is a place where the average Joe can have a coin made and sell it with no fees (other than the obvious tracking numbers and icon if desired) in a free market. There are not a lot of places where that occurs.

If you really want to discuss changes to the forums, the place to do so is in the Website section. Log a desire for an off-topic section in the Geocoin Forums and TPTB can respond there. Just don't be surprised when the response tells you there already is an Off Topic Forum.

Believe me, Groundspeak appreciates this community and these forums. The rules are really not that oppressive, trust me.

Now, I'm hoping that this is the last off-topic thread that gets started so that nobody loses their posting rights. (That's a reminder, not a threat. Nobody likes being the bad guy).

So, I encourage you to explore and utilize the Off Topic forums and to start a thread or two over there specifically for Geocoin Off Topic discussions. For those who can't see it, it's only available to Premium Members, sorry. If you'd like to discuss WHY that is the case, please do so in the Website Forums which is open to all.

Thank you.

- FSM

Edit to add: I see a lot of folks posted while I was typing also. I can also recommend that somebody set up a Yahoo or Google Chat/Group to discuss off topic things. (Trying to help...)

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster