Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

I've been trying to follow this thread for a while now-is Wisconsin now available on http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa?

Just got a new GPS and am anxious to get some real maps on it (etrex hcx).

Yep, pretty much the whole country is available. There are a couple of missing counties, but not many (~10). There is one known bug where sometimes the county will display on Mapsource, but not on the GPS. I'm working on a fix, but its turning out to be more work than I'd thought, so I don't have it available yet (Basically I'm changing the tiles to be squares rather than by county, which will fix the problem, and make it easier to add topo data).

I've been trying to follow this thread for a while now-is Wisconsin now available on http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa?

ibycus's maps work great, I have them loaded on both my vista hcx and my summit hc and am more than happy with them

I've seen and heard of a few glitches in and around wisconsin but they seem few and far between, I'm in black river falls, about 30 miles from you, and havent noticed much around this area as far as defects, the biggest I've found so far is that the black river from hatfield to neillsville isnt colored blue, the outlines are blue but the water body isnt colored blue, the rest of the river, including the east fork, seem fine and I have yet to find anything serious enough that it takes away from the quality of these maps

Hi buzzman63, you will have to download the following version to work with your system: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA14.tgz

That link is to the mac version btw.

Yes, of course it would be... read on...

Edited by coggins

ibycus's maps work great, I have them loaded on both my vista hcx and my summit hc and am more than happy with them

I've seen and heard of a few glitches in and around wisconsin but they seem few and far between, I'm in black river falls, about 30 miles from you, and havent noticed much around this area as far as defects, the biggest I've found so far is that the black river from hatfield to neillsville isnt colored blue, the outlines are blue but the water body isnt colored blue, the rest of the river, including the east fork, seem fine and I have yet to find anything serious enough that it takes away from the quality of these maps

Thanks for the reply-I'll have to get on a faster internet to download that bnig file-nice to know it's working well. Will the maps fit on a 2 g micro SD card? Or are the maps set up to just download some maps from the computer to the GPS because of file size? (Wish I had this now-leaving for a harley trip in 2 days!)

Tried the GPS for my first geocaching yesterday at Levis Mound, and found 2, but the base maps don't show anything....can't wait for more detailed maps here. Thanks!

The maps will fit on a 2gb card but if your GPSr has a segment limit then there are way too many segments and you can't load them all. I believe the Colorado GPSr do not have a segment limit but the 60 series, 76 series, Vista, Legend, etc do.

The maps will fit on a 2gb card but if your GPSr has a segment limit then there are way too many segments and you can't load them all. I believe the Colorado GPSr do not have a segment limit but the 60 series, 76 series, Vista, Legend, etc do.

Thanks-am going to buy a micro Sd card today and try the download maps tomorrow. So can you just pick individual states to download onto the cards on the GPS?

Thanks-am going to buy a micro Sd card today and try the download maps tomorrow. So can you just pick individual states to download onto the cards on the GPS?

Yep. I should mention, there is probably a work around for the US maps to allow you to load all of them (I haven't tried it, or spoken to anyone who has tried it, but it should work). Load up 1/2 the maps, then rename the gmapsupp.img file to gmapprom.img, and then upload the second half.

Dale

Thanks for the reply-I'll have to get on a faster internet to download that bnig file-nice to know it's working well. Will the maps fit on a 2 g micro SD card? Or are the maps set up to just download some maps from the computer to the GPS because of file size? (Wish I had this now-leaving for a harley trip in 2 days!)

Tried the GPS for my first geocaching yesterday at Levis Mound, and found 2, but the base maps don't show anything....can't wait for more detailed maps here. Thanks!

yeah, I could only get roughly 2/3 the US on a 2g card... if you cant get the maps to load at your end I have an extra sd card I'd be willing to load whatever area you need for your trip and let you borrow it, taking a trip with the base map thats on these gpsr's is basically a waste of time and I highly doubt it would be any help... having maps will make a world of difference both in driving help and enjoyment of use and your close enough to me that exchanging that card back and forth shouldnt be much of a problem

Yep. I should mention, there is probably a work around for the US maps to allow you to load all of them (I haven't tried it, or spoken to anyone who has tried it, but it should work). Load up 1/2 the maps, then rename the gmapsupp.img file to gmapprom.img, and then upload the second half.

Dale

thanks for the tip... I'm fairly new to this gpsr mapping world but I'm going to have to give that a try and see if it works, what are the chances of getting a bunch of hang ups and lag doing it that way?

thanks for the tip... I'm fairly new to this gpsr mapping world but I'm going to have to give that a try and see if it works, what are the chances of getting a bunch of hang ups and lag doing it that way?

I'd imagine fairly small... lag will probably be your biggest problem, but without trying, there is no way to tell.

I'd imagine fairly small... lag will probably be your biggest problem, but without trying, there is no way to tell.

Thanks wasted and ibycus-I managed to get a micro SD card at Wally world (BRF) and will attempt to download and install the maps today to my macbook, then onto my HCx.

What is the step by step process? I need the map installer from Garmin also, right? ..or that Bobcat thing?

Wow, it doesn't getany better than this. I was wondering what the Alabama map looked like since I live in Alabama. I open it up and Surprise. You're right in my backyard. I live just north-west of the 459/65 interchange. I ride these roads on Saturday mornings on my motorcycle since they're away from city congestion and out in rather nice country.

I'll have to get this and see if I can get it on my Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager.

Thanks,

THE_Pondog

Thought I'd provide you with a sample of the detail level for a random area.

My map

ibycususadetail.JPG

City Navigator North America v7

CNNA7detail.JPG

I've downloaded your maps....and they are beautiful. Is there any way for you to add cities?

BTW I look forward to your Wisconsin maps!

Don

I have USA1.4 installed on desktop. Now how do I get the maps into my GPS? (eTrex Legend HCx)

Do you have some kind of Mapsource Program already? Or do you need to download that too? Assuming you have it, you can just go in to mapsource, and select Ibycus USA from the drop down in the top left hand corner.

I have USA1.4 installed on desktop. Now how do I get the maps into my GPS? (eTrex Legend HCx)

Do you have some kind of Mapsource Program already? Or do you need to download that too? Assuming you have it, you can just go in to mapsource, and select Ibycus USA from the drop down in the top left hand corner.

The only thing I did was install the Trip and Waypoint Manager and bought a 4gb microSDHC card, which I put in the GPS. What is a Mapsource Program and how would I know if I have it or not?

The only thing I did was install the Trip and Waypoint Manager and bought a 4gb microSDHC card, which I put in the GPS. What is a Mapsource Program and how would I know if I have it or not?

Trip and Waypoint Manager is exactly what you need, although I might install the latest mapsource update if I were you (just cuz). You can download it from Garmin's site. http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Just load up "Trip and Waypoint Manager" and select "Ibycus USA" from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner of the screen. Then using the "Map Select Tool" (hit m), highlight the area you want to send to the GPS, then hit the "Send to Device" button.

Dale

Trip and Waypoint Manager is exactly what you need, although I might install the latest mapsource update if I were you (just cuz). You can download it from Garmin's site. http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Just load up "Trip and Waypoint Manager" and select "Ibycus USA" from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner of the screen. Then using the "Map Select Tool" (hit m), highlight the area you want to send to the GPS, then hit the "Send to Device" button.

Dale

I think I'm almost done. I highlighted all of Florida which shows all the counties as different maps. From that list I select the map of the county I want and keep zooming in until I get the streets I'm looking for. Is that correct? Now to get maps of another state, I open up Ibycus USA from the drop down box in the upper left corner and highlight another area, send to device and that will give me another set of maps for that state. Is that right?

Dale

I just tried to have two img files with these two names on my GPSmap60CSx and the second one was ignored.

My iQue3600 does have two files that are recognized for the SD card; one is called GMAPBMAP.IMG and that is the world basemap. So if you replace that file with a different mapset, then it is recognized but you can only turn the whole thing on or off; you cannot control individual segments. And on the iQue you then have no basemap which can be a little annoying if you need it.

I would guess that "gmapprom.img" is special to a particular Garmin device. If anyone knows of a second img file name that is recognized on the 60CSx, then I would love to know about that because it is a real nuisance having to recreate huge files each time.

I am seeing some major map data errors around my hometown (Davis CA). For side-by-side comparison with City Select v6:sidebysidemapxn0.gif

Note the 4 waypoints were set in City Select v6 (which is definitely correct); images were grabbed from mapsource without changing zoom; dotted red lines were added by me to show how things line up.

The Tiger data has an entire subdivision in Davis stretched. Also the intersection at the waypoint at N38 33.757 W121 42.722 is at an intersection - in the Tiger data the intersection is in the wrong place.

I note a distinct sense of deja vu: Last year I had a DeLorme PN-20 for about a month before I returned it in part because of the exact same errors. Here is the image where I reported the same problem to DeLorme in their forum on Apr 25, 2007

topo6_maperror_davis_ca_usa_272.gif

At that time I actually drove my car around to create tracks which are superimposed above. I am well aware that no mapset is perfect that that there are always resolution issues, but these errors rendered the maps useless for geocaching.

Can you point me to where I can report this so that perhaps at some future date this will be corrected?

On the whole, an amazing piece of work, Dale. Well done.

Heiner

Can you point me to where I can report this so that perhaps at some future date this will be corrected?

Heiner

The data comes from the US Census department (http://www.census.gov) TIGER Dataset. Anything based on the TIGER data will show simiar errors. On the bright side, they are in the process of 'realigning' the entire dataset on a county by county basis. I'm sure Davis county is on the list of ones to be 'realigned'.

Dale

I just tried to have two img files with these two names on my GPSmap60CSx and the second one was ignored.

My iQue3600 does have two files that are recognized for the SD card; one is called GMAPBMAP.IMG and that is the world basemap. So if you replace that file with a different mapset, then it is recognized but you can only turn the whole thing on or off; you cannot control individual segments. And on the iQue you then have no basemap which can be a little annoying if you need it.

Did you try GMAPBMAP.img?

I am seeing some major map data errors around my hometown (Davis CA).

Heiner

I noticed the same thing when geocaching in Davis a few days ago. Everything is off by 10-50 feet.

Edited by sheeter

Isure that the map selection is correct. I live in King County and it has a check mark on it. Yes, there are islands in the county. Several in fact. As far as Lat/Long Im at 47.21.168/122.03.461

Hi, I can confirm that I know what the problem is, and am working on a fix. If you're impatient, and technically litterate, you can fix the problem yourself (you need to open the map files with GPS Map Edit, and delete the Map Coverage area entity type, and recompile it, afterwards you'll need to recompile the 'pv' file). I'd do it myself, but the fix needs to be applied to quite a few squares, and I'd like to get the problem actually fixed rather than applying a 'patchwork' fix to it.

Dale

Dale, has this issue been resolved?

Thanks

Dale

I think I'm almost done. I highlighted all of Florida which shows all the counties as different maps. From that list I select the map of the county I want and keep zooming in until I get the streets I'm looking for. Is that correct? Now to get maps of another state, I open up Ibycus USA from the drop down box in the upper left corner and highlight another area, send to device and that will give me another set of maps for that state. Is that right?

Thank you, thank you Dale!

You have been most patient with this novice.

Isure that the map selection is correct. I live in King County and it has a check mark on it. Yes, there are islands in the county. Several in fact. As far as Lat/Long Im at 47.21.168/122.03.461

Hi, I can confirm that I know what the problem is, and am working on a fix. If you're impatient, and technically litterate, you can fix the problem yourself (you need to open the map files with GPS Map Edit, and delete the Map Coverage area entity type, and recompile it, afterwards you'll need to recompile the 'pv' file). I'd do it myself, but the fix needs to be applied to quite a few squares, and I'd like to get the problem actually fixed rather than applying a 'patchwork' fix to it.

Dale

Dale, has this issue been resolved?

Thanks

Not yet. Spliting up an irregular polygon along a line has turned out to be more difficult than I'd thought. Still trying to think of the right way to do it.

Here is a picture that hopefully illustrates the problem.

problem.jpg

I have to programatically determine which segments of the polygon to join up. I'm not at the moment entirely sure how to do that.

You're trying to split a complex polygon (one with nested holes). I'm considering exactly the same problem for a tiling task for OpenStreetMap. I came across this interesting paper about generalized polygon intersection which may be helpful. It's a bit academic, and it's intended for intersecting two arbitrary polygons (instead of one rectangle and one polygon), but it could be helpful in thinking about the issues.

Looking at your example: In general, you're going to take one polygon with three holes and transform it into three polygons, some of which have holes and some which don't. The hole in the top right will no longer exist as a hole in the new, split polygons--it will just become part of the outer edge of the two polygons. This means you'll have to join the intersecting points of the outer ring and the "hole" together. Tricky to figure out how to get it right. To talk it out: as you're iterating around the points for the upper right polygon, you'll come to the part where your cutting line is. At that point, you need to follow the cutting line down (or up?) and find the intersections of any inner rings. If there are two intersecting points for the inner ring (your cutting edge could intersect the inner ring only at one point), then you need to connect a line from the intersecting point on the outer polygon to the closest intersecting point on the inner ring, and then add the portion of the ring (which is inside your intersecting area) to the boundary of your outer polygon. Then draw another line along the intersecting line from the inner ring to the next-closest inner ring (if any) and repeat the process, then eventually you'll re-intersect the outer ring and you can close out your polygon.

It's an involved process with a lot of steps, but when you break it down, it's manageable. You just have to make sure you account for all the special cases (like does your intersecting rectangle have a corner inside the polygon?).

Sorry if this is a bit rambling--writing it out has helped make it more concrete it in my own head.

Edit: fixed broken url tag

Edited by SiliconFiend

I am seeing some major map data errors around my hometown (Davis CA).

The Tiger data has an entire subdivision in Davis stretched.

Check to see if the county Davis is in has been realigned - over 1/3 have not. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp...hp07nomtaip.txt

A subdivision within eye-sight of were I live was 900' off until the county was realigned. Others have noted this too in their areas. Also noted some private drives have not be corrected, non-existent roads still showing, and many roads and other features coded incorrectly. This is a fantastic 'new' data set that Census is making available and is far better than what was available for 'free' previously.

I note a distinct sense of deja vu: [/quote']

You can sometimes tell what source data is being used by the incorrect data being passed on. One major provider had it correct, then changed to 'far-off' Census data in a later version - a 'U' in a highway going over a ridge 1400' from the actual turn; a switchback shown as a 'V' rather than the actual 'W' shape - I have always wondered how the 'stay-on-road' option handled these.

these errors rendered the maps useless for geocaching.

Not sure what to say about this statement. Others (and we for the first few weeks we had our gpsr) find geocaches with nothing but the base map on the unit. In city areas, many/most of the caches can be found from the location map given on the web-site (no gprs needed). Numerous times I have read that geocaching is about having the gpsr get you to 20-50' of the cache and the rest is a 'treasure-hunt' for you. If you find the data we can get for free does not meet your requirements, look at the street navigation maps on Garmin's website that get produced by spending millions to map the streets by driving on them.

I find it amazing that so much data is available for 'free' (we did pay taxes for it).

You're trying to split a complex polygon (one with nested holes). I'm considering exactly the same problem for a tiling task for OpenStreetMap. I came across this interesting paper about generalized polygon intersection which may be helpful. It's a bit academic, and it's intended for intersecting two arbitrary polygons (instead of one rectangle and one polygon), but it could be helpful in thinking about the issues.

Guess how I'm planning on fixing the counties with holes in them problem? (I'm going to tile the data, rather than try to actually solve the problem directly). This will let me easily add topography later.

No need to worry about the article being too academic. I've got two science degrees to back me up, and I'm working on my third, along with extensive (mostly self taught) experience in computer programming.

Dale

Dale

Did you try GMAPBMAP.img?

yo Ibycus you have done a fantastic job on these us maps. my hats off to ya. i just got the garmin legend hc. i was suprised when i got it that it just came whith the plain map. you save my a** when i found this site so i can geocash,lol,little joke. but heres my ? sorry. i put your street map on it and is great,but i have seached these forums all over and have not found the topo with elevation lines. i downloaded the canada one and it looks great. but i need the usa one with nj,pa and ny state. can ya help me out. i don't have the cash 150 for the garmin. thanks for your time. inomad.

What is the difference between the Topo maps that come with the Colorado 400t and the Topo maps from Ibycus? And how big of a SD card do you need for th iybcus topo maps?

If you've got the ones that come with the Colorado, personally I'd probably stick with those. I'm told that (in a few areas) mine seems to have a bit more detail as far as water features go. How big an SD card is required depends on how big an area you want to load. The whole of the US is (currently) about 1.6GB worth of data. This size will increase when I get around to adding topo data.

yo Ibycus you have done a fantastic job on these us maps. my hats off to ya. i just got the garmin legend hc. i was suprised when i got it that it just came whith the plain map. you save my a** when i found this site so i can geocash,lol,little joke. but heres my ? sorry. i put your street map on it and is great,but i have seached these forums all over and have not found the topo with elevation lines. i downloaded the canada one and it looks great. but i need the usa one with nj,pa and ny state. can ya help me out. i don't have the cash 150 for the garmin. thanks for your time. inomad.

At the moment, coverage for free topo isn't perfect. There are a couple states you can get free data for (check out http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html for a start). I'm working on adding topo to my maps, but I'm not there yet.

Dale

At the moment, coverage for free topo isn't perfect. There are a couple states you can get free data for (check out http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html for a start). I'm working on adding topo to my maps, but I'm not there yet.

Dale

so there are no nj,pa,ny topo's around for free. bummer! :anicute: i guess i have to save up 150 dollars for the garmin topo maps. the colo,montana...ect maps are no good to me. :) hey thanks for the help. :anicute:

What is the difference between the Topo maps that come with the Colorado 400t and the Topo maps from Ibycus? And how big of a SD card do you need for th iybcus topo maps?

If you've got the ones that come with the Colorado, personally I'd probably stick with those. I'm told that (in a few areas) mine seems to have a bit more detail as far as water features go. How big an SD card is required depends on how big an area you want to load. The whole of the US is (currently) about 1.6GB worth of data. This size will increase when I get around to adding topo data.

Thanks. I only have the ones that came preloaded with my Colorado. Snice I'm new to all of this GPS stuff. I was just wondering if there where any better topos for the Colorado. I do some hiking. So I want the best topos I can get.

Thanks. I only have the ones that came preloaded with my Colorado. Snice I'm new to all of this GPS stuff. I was just wondering if there where any better topos for the Colorado. I do some hiking. So I want the best topos I can get.

hehe he does'nt understand that you have the colorado,gps. you don't want a nicer topo map,lol. but the topos are only as go as the topos that are made by the gov or the servey enginers that make them. i know what and where you are coming from. Ibycus has made some great maps here. it is alot of work. i'm to stupied right now to make topos with the programs and maps that the gov has given for free. you got a real nice gps the colorado. the topos that garmin are ok but i have seen better or just the same out there that you pay for. a map is only as good as the graphics program and the gps. memory is key to. the gps is just a small computer which is short of memory,lol,like me. i envey you. i wish i had the colorado. i hope you find what ya need ,good luck, inomad. :) Edited by inomad

hehe he does'nt understand that you have the colorado,gps. you don't want a nicer topo map,lol. but the topos are only as go as the topos that are made by the gov or the servey enginers that make them. i know what and where you are coming from. Ibycus has made some great maps here. it is alot of work. i'm to stupied right now to make topos with the programs and maps that the gov has given for free. you got a real nice gps the colorado. the topos that garmin are ok but i have seen better or just the same out there that you pay for. a map is only as good as the graphics program and the gps. memory is key to. the gps is just a small computer which is short of memory,lol,like me. i envey you. i wish i had the colorado. i hope you find what ya need ,good luck, inomad. :)

Just to clarify... yes I understand that he's talking about the Colorado GPS, and not the state of Colorado :anicute:.

Sometimes though, you can do better than what is commercially offered. This can happen for a number of reasons. Among them, is that sometimes features aren't included in a given mapset that are available, or the resolution is cut back in the interests of space, or cleanliness of the map. As a result, some important features can be lost.

hehe he does'nt understand that you have the colorado,gps. you don't want a nicer topo map,lol. but the topos are only as go as the topos that are made by the gov or the servey enginers that make them. i know what and where you are coming from. Ibycus has made some great maps here. it is alot of work. i'm to stupied right now to make topos with the programs and maps that the gov has given for free. you got a real nice gps the colorado. the topos that garmin are ok but i have seen better or just the same out there that you pay for. a map is only as good as the graphics program and the gps. memory is key to. the gps is just a small computer which is short of memory,lol,like me. i envey you. i wish i had the colorado. i hope you find what ya need ,good luck, inomad. :anicute:

Just to clarify... yes I understand that he's talking about the Colorado GPS, and not the state of Colorado :anicute:.

Sometimes though, you can do better than what is commercially offered. This can happen for a number of reasons. Among them, is that sometimes features aren't included in a given mapset that are available, or the resolution is cut back in the interests of space, or cleanliness of the map. As a result, some important features can be lost.

sorry i realised what ya had ment a little late,lol. :) it is a shame that the qaulity has to suffer do to the amount of memory that is on the gps it self,aka older ones. but the newer ones are starting to catch up because the amount of memory is larger for the detailed graphic(maps). money is money and the companys that are making the gps only want you to buy there product. no matter how good or bad the maps are. it is the same no matter where you go in electronics there is going to be people looking for and making better graphic for the iteam they have. the maps and memory are far short of what they can do,the older models. the companys that make the gps only take the amount of teachnoligy to a limit then come out with something newer and leave the older models at the way side. even thow the older models have less memory they can still be upgraded with better programs. but only people like Ibycus got the brains to take that item and make it better and usfull for the small guy that can't afford the high end product. sorry about the ramble but sometimes i get to deep into things that are not being exploited for the betterment,lol or good for the people that spend there hard earned money only to be dissed by the companys that make the products we buy. sorry about the spelling,where the hell is the spell check? i can't find it,lol. :anicute:

so there are no nj,pa,ny topo's around for free. bummer! :) i guess i have to save up 150 dollars for the garmin topo maps. the colo,montana...ect maps are no good to me. :anicute: hey thanks for the help. :anicute:

The latest Garmin US Topo 2008 is $81 at Amazon. There may be better topo's out there but this is a pretty economical solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource-Top...9780&sr=8-1

Sokratz

Dale

Thank you, thank you Dale!

You have been most patient with this novice.

Thanks to Dale, Dan and coggins, I've got the Ibycus maps on my Mac. But people keep talking about adding states to their GPSs as though you can see and select states as a whole. Is this true? My maps don't show state boundaries or even major cities (like Chicago); rather they show counties, with numerous small tiles, and I have tended to zoom out and do things like follow interstates until they connect in a place I recognize or use other geographical features (for example, I just went to Florida, and I went to the bottom of that state and selected tiles upward until I had roughly the whole state--though I think I included some of Alabama and Georgia). Is there a simple way to see state boundaries and, maybe, to select the whole state?

Thanks, Karen

Thanks to Dale, Dan and coggins, I've got the Ibycus maps on my Mac. But people keep talking about adding states to their GPSs as though you can see and select states as a whole. Is this true?

Is there a simple way to see state boundaries and, maybe, to select the whole state?

Thanks, Karen

The simple answer is... not really. The more complicated answer... If there is demand, I can make it easier. Basically what I can do is remove the county boundaries from the overview map, so that what you're left with are the state boundaries.

Would this be of use to people? Or would people prefer to have to county boundaries visible on zooming out?

Dale

I've noticed on the street view, there was nothing there, only the track view-I guessed the ibycus maps didn't work with street view.

Onto a question-I planned a route using Bobcat, loaded it into the GPS (Legend Hcx) and started following it in the car-suddenly, it zoomed way out! So, I used the side button to zoom back to a closer level again (so I could see side roads and detailed features) and continued driving and it zoomed out again after a while. It continued this during the entire hr drive-frustrating.....My thought is the GPS does this on it's own for some reason? Maybe I need to set something up in the unit?? Anyone have this happen?